55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Don't really need to all your calories back. Only eat till you're just full/satisfied (not stuffed). If you're loosing too much too fast then eat them back; you only want to lose abt one to no more tha two lbs a week. B)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    1Nana2many wrote: »
    Hope everyone is having a great week! Does anyone else have this problem?: I just started MFP on Jan 4th officially logging my food every day and taking this very seriously. I find myself not logging exercise because I don't quite trust myself yet not to over-estimate my activity and then over-eat the extra calories. I guess I'm just really trying to get the calories down so it's a little more automatic then add the activities in MFP later. I am adding extra walking and exercise into my routine, I just don't want to get into that mental game of "I did this exercise so I must have all these extra calories available and start sabotaging myself. Does this make sense to anyone but me???? :/

Depending on your current weight and calorie deficit, it may be OK . . . or not. If you're at a fairly major calorie deficit (i.e., trying to lose a couple of pounds a week) and are not currently quite obese, I'd encourage you to start by eating back part of your exercise calories - maybe 50% to start, and see how that goes. Rough rule of thumb, you don't want to be losing more than about 1% of your body weight per week (after the first week, when you may see a bigger initial drop).

A very large calorie deficit can make the weight loss process less sustainable (i.e., more potential for cravings/binges/derailment), risk losing more muscle along with the fat, and make it difficult to get proper nutrition.

If you get in the habit of eating part of your exercise calories, that should ease worries about over-estimating the exercise calories, while still making sure your body's getting enough fuel to stay strong & healthy while losing weight.

(Background: I estimate my exercise calories conservatively (based on heart rate monitor, mostly), and have eaten virtually all of them back while losing weight . . . I'm 60 y/o, down 61 pounds since April 2015, and currently at about 122 pounds - a weight I haven't seen since the 1970s, and never expected to see again in my life.)
  • judydj1220
    judydj1220 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm jumping in on this thread... I hope y'all don't mind... I need some motivation and accountability. :o I just started with MFP about 3 weeks ago and joined a gym at the first of this year.

I'm 52 and went through menopause 2 years ago. I was shocked and pleased when I lost weight in the following 2 months. I thought →→ finally! my stupid hormones have balanced out and I would maintain for forever! So much for **forever**. So... here I go again, trying to lose these pesky "poundages"!

Every day is a struggle not to dig into some crappity-crap food, but I know better. It's sad when you pass by a fast food place and cry because of this internal struggle. One day... no... one minute... at a time!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Judy, Eating healthy 90% of the time and indulging occasionally (including fast food, chocolate, cake, etc.)--like maybe once a week (or once every two weeks) will help you stay the course. Remember, it is a life style change not a project with an end date. Enjoy the same food you always have, just healthier versions. BTW, I had chicken fingers and fries last Fri for lunch; I have lost 12 lbs since last March 2015 and I'm 65. If you deny yourself too much you won't enjoy the ride. And if you fall off, get back up & start over; never give up. B)
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    For a while I did not eat back exercise calories - mostly because I wasn't sure of the numbers. After a few months of losing a pound a week(ish), I figured it was OK. I started eating back the exercise calories and continued to lose at the same rate. You will find your niche.
    As for eating healthier, griffinca2 is right. Sometimes I just have to have some pizza! As long as you budget it into your day/week, there is nothing wrong with a treat! I am 57, lost 71# and am on maintenance.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    P.S. As of Oct 2015 I have been on maintenance. B)
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to those of you who have reached and are maintaining your goal weight. And thanks for sticking around to give the rest of us the benefit of your knowledge! Being an older and wiser 59, my plan is to continue to eat things I enjoy, but to really pay close attention to serving size and limit the sweets to rarer occasions. I know if I feel really deprived I won't stick to it and make this a permanent change. I haven't really had any problem staying within or really close to my calorie limit and I while I am hungry when it's time to eat, I'm not dying of hunger, just actually feeling hungry instead of eating more because I'm bored. My personal feeling is that the real key to success is being totally honest with myself about what and particularly how much I am eating and then of course, logging it so I can see the whole picture which is certainly a real eye-opening experience when you first start. Hang in there!
  • ScarlettShaun
    ScarlettShaun Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all... My name is Scarlett I am new and I am on the road to bypass surgery... I have finished all my doctors approving of it and finished my goals for weight loss and have one last test the scope down the throat to the tummy to see if any complications are there then he sets up my surgery day... Im a bit scared... I have been over weight all my life and tried almost every diet you can imagine... I have lost, gained and gained... Now I need the big help... Been trying to get some support on here online cause I have a lot of issues with my help including copd, asthma and back issues so I dont walk to good and other things due to the weight gain I am sure... Wanted to see success storys and what you all went thru seeing as I am now on that road to surgery probably in Feb or March for sure...
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Scarlett, We're here for you to offer encouragement and support. Hang in there & let us know when your surgery is. Take care. B)
  • 1Nana2many
    Options
    Scarlett,
    My daughter-in-law and two dear friends have all had surgery. My dau-in-law has PCOS and nothing else she did helped her lose and maintain weight loss. One friend is an RN and another had done many things including participating in a doctor supervised weight-loss study and even cancer treatment did not help her lose weight. For some of us this seems to be the only way. Don't beat yourself up over doing what is best for your health. If you've been following the diet you have to follow before surgery and doing the counseling required before having this surgery, you know this can be life-changing for you. After surgery, when you return to regular meals, I know you have to be extremely vigilant about getting enough protein and paying close attention to sugars in the foods you eat. Like the rest of us, you will always have to watch those serving sizes! Good luck!
  • Sapphires4me
    Sapphires4me Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Scarlett, Good Luck and please keep logging in and letting us know how you are doing.
  • mk2fit
    Options
    Best wishes and prayers to you, Scarlett!
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    mk2loser wrote: »
    Oh, wow. Moderation worked for me and I am Mrs. Compulsive. Maybe I took the moderation into my compulsions. Whatever, it worked for me. Have managed to lose 70#. Maybe because I have overdone the exercise side of things. OK, never mind :wink:

Moderation doesn't work for me. All-or-nothing does. Although my weight is higher than I'd like I've never been overweight and never had to lose 70 pounds. For me, that's a win.

Each to her or his own.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »
    mk2loser wrote: »
    Oh, wow. Moderation worked for me and I am Mrs. Compulsive. Maybe I took the moderation into my compulsions. Whatever, it worked for me. Have managed to lose 70#. Maybe because I have overdone the exercise side of things. OK, never mind :wink:

I'll chime in with a vote for moderation as well -- that and working the calories in / calories out numbers.

Hey, V! Yup, I'm 66 and down over 50 lbs. Portion control is key for me, so that's another component to losing weight and staying healthy. It's so simply elegant -- yet people make it so complicated, I think. You have to measure your calories, control your portions, and exercise for optimum health. OK, done preachin' LOL!

Moderation doesn't work for me, and I haven't had the weight problems of some people in this forum. I've tracked my food for years and it works, but it is not simple for many people.

I've benefited from realizing that people are different.
  • mk2fit
    Options
    So, @Verdenal, why are you here? I gained a s**tpot of weight after I quit smoking, tracked my in/out and lost the weight. What is your story!
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yea a post with positive women. i am 55yrs old. My wt journey began several years ago at a starting weight of 204lbs I am now 165 lbs. I love to run. But the run no longer loves me. I fractured my hip on the treadmill and will be having surgery to put pins into the hip. Yes it scares the dickens out of me. However not walking is worst. So I have been using the ARC trainer for the last 45 days until surgery. I am thankful to live in a country that we have the option to heal and get back into life on our terms. Not sure yet but I may remove the 1/2 marathon from my bucket list. I am 5ft 9in I wear a size 8 jean and a 1x top. Guess I am still an apple shape. But I am strong and fit. My diet is LCHF on most weeks. My carbs average 50 t0 60 a day. Calories set for 1350. No rice, bread or processed food other than a protein bar. Lots of coffee and water. If you keep an open diary and want a friend add me.
    Patsy
    Lutz Fl
  • GenieBeanieChiliBeanie
    Options
    Wow - I am so glad I popped onto this thread, PLEASE friend me and check out my bio. I've posted pictures of my results of my body at 50 years old, now I'm 57 and feel like I'm in my 30's - seriously!!!!! I've read all the comments here and I get it - the slow metabolism, post menopausal weight gain, lack of energy. I just started a private invite Face Book fitness challenge group fo anyone wanting to commit to getting fit and healthy. My sister is 59 going on 60 in June and most of us are right around the same age. Message me if you'd like to hear more about our group. Or if you want to you can search FB for me, Gina Millis, I feel like I've found the Fountain of Youth :smile:
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Wow - I am so glad I popped onto this thread, PLEASE friend me and check out my bio. I've posted pictures of my results of my body at 50 years old, now I'm 57 and feel like I'm in my 30's - seriously!!!!! I've read all the comments here and I get it - the slow metabolism, post menopausal weight gain, lack of energy. I just started a private invite Face Book fitness challenge group fo anyone wanting to commit to getting fit and healthy. My sister is 59 going on 60 in June and most of us are right around the same age. Message me if you'd like to hear more about our group. Or if you want to you can search FB for me, Gina Millis, I feel like I've found the Fountain of Youth :smile:

Is your Fountain of Youth called Beachbody?
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Asking the orthopedist for a physical therapy referral is a great idea! I need to do that. It never crossed my mind because once she realized that I was not going to opt for repair, the appointed time seemed to quickly come to an end. However, I think I will call her and ask about therapy. Thanks!

Update: I had my first therapy appointment yesterday. He manipulated my leg extensively and had me do various exercises and concluded that I do NOT have tears in my meniscus (despite what the orthopedist says were on the MRI) because if I did, he would not have been able to manipulate my leg as he did. Diagnosis? My hamstrings and quads are so tight and knotted that the anterior patella (knee cap) cannot glide up and down properly. That was the reason for the pain. Remedy? Stretching 3x a day and always before and after exercise. Just doing the stretches in the office relieved the throbbing I had when I went in there. Wow! I did them a couple of times yesterday and this morning..no pain today. I can resume my lower body workout albeit slowly.

(He also gave me shoe inserts for fallen arches!)

@AnnPT77 ...again, many thanks for your post!

Connie
  • 1Nana2many
    Options

Is your Fountain of Youth called Beachbody?

I looked her up on FB and the answer is yes.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!