55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• liftingbug
    liftingbug Posts: 11 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »
    Down 90 lbs. and 61! One question though. I expected more energy and that hasn't been the case. Is it an age thing and you haven't experienced a big increase in energy either? I do walk two miles a day, but otherwise not real active.

I'd like to chime in about my experience after losing 50-52 lbs in terms of energy gain. I have way more energy now than I did before losing weight. I've been at maintenance for almost 1.5 years and I'm on the go for 8-10 hours a day. I still log and monitor my food and weight every single day.

I actually cut back on my exercise schedule as I lost weight because I wanted an exercise plan that I could live with well into really old age (I'll soon be 67). I walk every day but also lift weights and attend cardio classes 3Xs per week). I find I have more energy the more I move every day. I was very sedentary before and was always exhausted when I was heavier. The more I move the better I sleep as well.

For me, it was finding a balance of moderate exercise, calories in and calories out. I believe that as we age we will slow down and so we have to adjust our calorie intake and exercise plan accordingly, but we still have to exercise for heart health, maintaining our muscle mass, and bone density along with eating the proper amount of calories or the weight will creep back up.

I find that if I'm not active, I'm not as energetic. It's a total turn around from my past eating and exercise habits which were poor and non-existent. Changing my way of eating and forcing myself to move saved my health. I've embraced it now so take heart, it can be done with time and patience. Just get out there and move because it gets easier over time.

Thank you for sharing your experience, your last paragraph is spot on. I hope to be following your wise choices soon!
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I was looking at success stories and found a lady's blog that is well worth reading. BlossomingVilma.blogspot.com. Take a look at it. It's an ongoing story about one woman's weight-loss journey. I especially liked one section about "before I began worrying about food or exercise" That may not be an exact quote, but well worth reading. It spoke to me on many levels.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check it out.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Anyone up for a 30 day arm challenge? We have found a challenge by Jodi Higgs and will be modifying this to fit our age group and start 9/12. If you are interested, say so and you can join us in our challenge group. Sympathy in numbers!! To find the challenge, search Jodi Higgs 30 day arm challenge.
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    turning 65 at the end of the year. Also hypothryoid- Hashimotos so that adds to the weight fun! Started August with about 45 lbs to lose. I am down 11 so far. Joined a monthly lose 5 lbs challenge in the community. Trying to get the exercise in. Walking and starting some weight training as well.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    I plan on joining the arm challenge!! :p
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    For the first time in my life I have flabby arms! ugh. I will join the challenge

edit: I did a search for "Jodi Higgs 30 day arm challenge" and couldn't find anything except one thing from 2013 ???
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am up for the arm challenge as well. Give us a link. Also , for great inspiration, read, What Makes Olga Run!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Evesmom, type in "arm challenge" in your internet browser and click on "images for arm challenge" and you will see the chart. The chart has a guy and gal on it w/pics of the exercises. It is from 2013 so should be the one. Tried to copy & paste and couldn't do it. B)
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Olga, you can go to the same site and find the chart. Link: https://www.google.com/search?q=arm+challenge&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8.
  • 2012retiree
    2012retiree Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure I'm a success. After losing 90 lbs. I have been horrible in my eating and calories consumed. Today I was in the ice cream I got for a weekend retreat with friends and only stopped after rinsing the last quart of ice cream down the drain. Each day is a new start, but seems like with all the things going on this week, it is not going well at all. I'm talking thousands of calories over, not just a few hundred. Success is I rid the house of ice cream and won't buy more until day of company. Long term success is questionable, hopefully next week I can suck it up and rid myself of cravings from overeating. This is the very thing I feared at the start of my journey. My thinking and actions are not connecting to what I should do and the fit of my clothes is telling me I'm slipping...
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You know you can do it....you did it before. If it were me, I'd throw out the ice cream and any other foods that you have troubles with. I can't have Oreos in the house at all..I'd eat the whole package. When I first started this in April, I tossed out anything I couldn't control myself over...out of sight, out of mind. It was very helpful to me in the first month.
  • OneWayOnlyCycles
    OneWayOnlyCycles Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    God, you ladies are inspiring! Good for you! All of you! The dedication and determination. I am in awe.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure I'm a success. After losing 90 lbs. I have been horrible in my eating and calories consumed. Today I was in the ice cream I got for a weekend retreat with friends and only stopped after rinsing the last quart of ice cream down the drain. Each day is a new start, but seems like with all the things going on this week, it is not going well at all. I'm talking thousands of calories over, not just a few hundred. Success is I rid the house of ice cream and won't buy more until day of company. Long term success is questionable, hopefully next week I can suck it up and rid myself of cravings from overeating. This is the very thing I feared at the start of my journey. My thinking and actions are not connecting to what I should do and the fit of my clothes is telling me I'm slipping...

You have done really well before so you know you can do it. If getting rid of everything you crave works for you then do it. I can't do that because my husband still likes the odd biscuit or cake so I take each day at a time and log everything even the naughty things and I am losing slowly, even half a pound off or staying the same is better than putting on. Do you exercise? I find that helps me feel more positive and reading posts on MFP is helpful Don't give up YOU CAN DO IT
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    6bypqb33qamg.jpeg
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Thanks Nana!! Hope folks want to join; we plan on only doing half (or as many as you can) of the recommended reps. It is not meant to hurt anyone; just to be a challenge--so, if you have to use the counter (that's me) to do the push-ups, do it. B)
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! You have all been very quiet for some time. Well I never got to the arm challenge. But I retire this month and hope to have the time to add strength training to my routine. What are you all doing out there for exercise and good health? Ive been holding at 30 lb weight loss and my BMI is good but I need to tone and get stronger. Have a great day all of you wonderful people!
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    @Eleted congrats on your retirement! You're right, it's been very quiet on this thread of late. For strength training I go to Les Mills Body Pump classes at my gym 3Xs per week for resistance training, but you don't need a gym. There's tons of videos online and other good beginning programs. Check out "The New Rules of Lifting for Women," and "StrongLifts 5X5." Both are online and in book form.

thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Check back and let us know what you decide to do!

Cheers!

Trina
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Eleted, You can check out my diary since it is open. I wouldn't start out with some of the weights I'm using as I have doing this for a while. B)
  • griffinca2
    Options
    P.S. Congrats on your retirement!! Enjoy!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!