55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    @griffinca2 I agree wholeheartedly! That's why I say every day is a new day. Put it in the past and move forward every day. Don't stress over every little thing and don't throw out your plan to be healthy because you had a rocky time. Learn something from it, adjust your sails and keep afloat! ⛵️
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @Eleted and @spikeyhair, weight loss is a process. You get what you give and blah, blah. We are here to cheer you on and offer advice should you want/need it. I think our friend @1Nana2many put it best - every day is a new day. Look on line for "skinny" recipes - they are everywhere! Exercise every day, even if it is only for 10-15 minutes! It is amazing what you can do without even thinking about it. Baby steps...
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    Hi I'm 68 and have lost the 51lbs I needed to get to a healthy weight of 112lbs [slap bang in the middle of a healthy BMI for a 5ft tiddler]. I am now maintaining and after 5 months, so far, so good. I am going to be very vigilant for the rest of my life though. Although I can eyeball things when eating out I still weigh and log on MFP every day.....it's become a habit, like brushing my teeth.

I'd just like to say that I found I lost weight just the same as younger people, it was not easier or harder. I think having a part-time manual job helps with fitness [I work in a garden centre] and being a very keen gardener means exercise. I also love walking but hate my static bike and would need to be paid a LOT of money to set foot inside a gym lol.

After losing the weight my blood pressure is normal, cholesterol normal and no sign of diabetes whatsoever :)

This was just so great to read. You have really taken great care of yourself!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Suziecue; I didn't like the gym either at one time. Now I love it! I have gained muscle (which means I have to eat more) and lost some body fat (good thing). Just turned 66 in Sep and trying to keep myself as healthy as possible. Working in a garden center means you are probably lifting weights (good thing for older women) and getting in some cardio to boot; great job!! Thing of it is, is you are doing what works for you! B)
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing? Happy Halloween.
  • Eleted
    Options
    What is everyones current favorite form of exercise? I am still walking and slowly adding strength training.
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Happy Halloween & Dia de los Muertos! I hate exercising but I do it anyway. My main forms of exercise are cardio, weights (Body Pump classes), and walking. I walk everyday with cardio and weights 4Xs per week.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Eleted, Mine is weights 3 days a week & a 15 - 20 cardio session when done w/weights. B)
  • griffinca2
    Options
    P.S. Happy Halloween everyone!! :p
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Anne, that's so funny how things seen before are seen so differently now. Irony.

I'm doing more walking these days, now that I'm at maintenance and feeling a lot better for it.
  • 2012retiree
    2012retiree Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ugh...why did the switch in my head flip and it has gotten so hard not to overeat. Still struggling daily, but haven't given up even with more bad days than good days of eating.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    My exercise of choice is running. We are getting to the time of year when running becomes a bit of a challenge. like Ann's frozen river, snow and slop are a little tough to run in/on/through. I do exercise with jessicasmithtv on youtube. I'm thinking of trying step aerobics. I also have a rowing machine and elliptical. Variety is the spice of life and all that jazz.

Happy Halloween >:)
  • Eleted
    Options
    2012retiree: I am feeling the same way! Could be the cooler weather and shorter days! But I renew my vow each morning to have a stellar day! I'm thinking of pulling the trigger and joining a gym. I love swimming so that is a bonus. I should get the OK from my PT soon to start strength training. I have weights at home but find I am more accountable and motivated in a group setting.
    Also, I did well when I was reading a book about some kind of physical adventure. Walking the Camino is on my bucket list. Good luck to all today. Have a successful calorie deficit.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Ann: Rowing! I'd love to try rowing! I belong to a dragon boat group and we paddle twice a week from May to early October. I absolutely love it. There is no better place to be on a summer evening than on the lake paddling. And such an awesome workout. And even if the weather is bad, it's still better than being inside at the gym lol But yeh, we just pulled the dock in for the winter and pretty soon there will be ice on the lake :(

Our municipal rec centre has a sale every fall and you can buy a six month pass for the price of five months. I do that every winter and use it for the gym and for deep water running classes. I think i'd like to try swimming lengths this winter too. I used to do that in my early 20's but havent since. I think at our age we need to do some exercise for our bone mass though. I also snow shoe and cross country ski in the winter which I hope helps in that area. And I have a golden retriever that loves her walks.

Mk2fit: This summer I started running for the first time in 25 years!!! I ran my first 5 km race on October 2. Maybe try for a 10k next year??? :)

Elated: one of my dragon boat team mates did a section of the Camino this summer. She said it was an awesome experience and wants to go back and do another section.

I guess where i'm going with this comment is that we need to mix up our fitness routine and do different things. Not always the same thing all the time. Firstly, its good to challenge our muscles in new ways. And secondly, it prevents injuries from using the same muscles and joints all the time. Just something to keep in mind :)

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Eleted wrote: »
    What is everyones current favorite form of exercise? I am still walking and slowly adding strength training.

I do lots of walking, my Fitbit is one of the best weight loss/health building tools I own. I also do a circuit weight lifting program for strength training one a week. I do dumbbell work while watching movies, and I hike in the Rockies every chance I get. Oh and I am adding in this from the MFP blog:

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/fall-back-fitness-challenge-day-1-total-body-strength-training/

I do workout to youtube videos as well and Jessica Smith has lots of good ones, so I am excited to do this challenge this month.
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Eleted wrote: »

I do lots of walking, my Fitbit is one of the best weight loss/health building tools I own. I also do a circuit weight lifting program for strength training one a week. I do dumbbell work while watching movies, and I hike in the Rockies every chance I get. Oh and I am adding in this from the MFP blog:

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/fall-back-fitness-challenge-day-1-total-body-strength-training/

I do workout to youtube videos as well and Jessica Smith has lots of good ones, so I am excited to do this challenge this month.

I'm also a big fan of Jessica Smith TV and have added her MFP Fall Back Fitness Programme to my playlist. I'll probably do it next week. I also love Fitness Blender and will be starting an 8 week programme in December with them.

I like to be organised [LOL]!

Good luck to us all!
  • Eleted
    Options
    Ridiculous59:: What is a dragon boat team? I kayak on our lake here in Michigan , but to second your comment, sadly the dock and boats are out of the water. Although, we had a 75 degree day today. On Nov 1st!! Woohoo

Also, I noted that you spelled Elated correctly. My screen name is actually an amalgam of the grandchildrens names. I thought it was fitting as losing weight elicits much Elation!!!!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Broke a record here yesterday; it was 90! Mid 80s today; hope it cools off soon!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!