gluten hates me...

Options

Replies

• KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    amk165 wrote: »
    Diagnosed with hypothyroid. My levels were in thereputic range, but I still had symptoms. As a "you could try this and see if it makes a difference" My Dr told me I might want to elimimnate gluten for 30 days. Then to eat some gluten and see what happens. I laughed. Give up bread, are you crazy?

After a few months, of not feeling better, I thought I would give it a try.

After the 30 days I felt great. Slept better, more energy, my stomach was calm (thought my stomach was normal), my mood was good, my appetite was under control and the biggest surprise was that my joints did not hurt as much. So...accidently ate some gluten. Stomach upset, bloated, headache, joint pain, crazy out of control appetite - I wanted to eat everything.... Guess what...I no longer eat gluten. Feel so much better without it. Since my Dr told me to do this, as a suggestion, I guess it means I was formally diagnosed. No blood tests, no high tech medical procedures. Anyone can eliminate it, try it and see if you react. If you feel better without it great! All I know is that I never thought gluten was an issue for me. But gluten hates me! Dr or no Dr.

A actual diagnosis does not make this more or less real for those of us who feel better gf.

This is exactly what happened to me. I had radioactive iodine treatment to destroy thyroid nodules which were causing out-of-control hyperthyroidism. Became severely hypothyroid and went through the same thing you did. My endocrinologist also suggested Celiac Disease as the reason why I was still so sick after reaching therapeutic levels with my Synthroid. At first I thought she was crazy, I never even heard of Celiac Disease. But after the following weekend at relatives out of state for a birthday party at an Italian Restaurant (gluten-fest eating all weekend) I felt even worse than I had, which I didn't think was possible. I then realized my endocrinologist might be right and cut out gluten. That was over two years ago and I never looked back. Never had a test and don't feel the need to put myself through the misery of eating gluten (which causes havoc when I accidentally, unknowingly consume some) to have a doctor turn around and tell me to cut out gluten.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    zenaxe wrote: »
    I find it interesting that when someone posts about being gluten free, be it by choice prompted by a medical condition and sensitivity, or just simply wanting to eliminate gluten from their diets but without any medical basis; that people have to chime in with bizarre comments showing they are the patron saints of defending gluten ie gluten is not the devil, don't buy into the hype etc. If someone decides to reduce or eliminate sugar, alcohol, caffeine, hydrogenated oil, high fructose corn syrup or whatever else is out there, who runs around defending those? No one, but for some reason people seem to have a need to pipe up with dissenting voices and commentaries whenever anyone claims to feel better after eliminating gluten. People have real medical issues with gluten and others just don't want to eat it. So what's the real issue for people resisting this? Just my 0.2 cents worth...

I think this is the post of the day. I applaud OPs dietary changes and condemn those on this forum for blasting it (or mocking it). If someone can't be inspired by this kind of story, go live in a hole.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've been gluten-free 4 years next month. I went to see a Gastroenterologist last month who pretty much agreed with me being gluten intolerant. Blood work isn't going to show anything and neither will an endoscopy. The only thing I could do is genetic testing but have no real history of CD, so that's on hold until we get the other stuff I went to see him for sorted. He said he won't torture me with a gluten challenge because last time I got traces of gluten in my system I was sick for 3 weeks. I'm mildly sensitive.

I too started as the OP did, found a link and followed my gut. I miss all the gluten full foods, but I don't miss feeling like butt everyday, I don't miss the bloating, and I don't miss the stomach aches. I would never tell someone this is a great diet to be on. I don't enjoy spending 3-5 times the money for half the food and the hours of added work I feel I do just to get dinner done, but this is a way of life for many of us. It is a way of life for me and I no longer feel sick everyday. My family and friends have noticed a difference, I have noticed a difference. That is what counts.

Condemn me for my feelings, but honestly, why get your panties in a bunch over something you have no idea about, over something someone does that doesn't affect your life in any way? These are my experiences, the OP has her own, and they are both legit.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I find it interesting that when someone posts about being gluten free, be it by choice prompted by a medical condition and sensitivity, or just simply wanting to eliminate gluten from their diets but without any medical basis; that people have to chime in with bizarre comments showing they are the patron saints of defending gluten ie gluten is not the devil, don't buy into the hype etc. If someone decides to reduce or eliminate sugar, alcohol, caffeine, hydrogenated oil, high fructose corn syrup or whatever else is out there, who runs around defending those? No one, but for some reason people seem to have a need to pipe up with dissenting voices and commentaries whenever anyone claims to feel better after eliminating gluten. People have real medical issues with gluten and others just don't want to eat it. So what's the real issue for people resisting this? Just my 0.2 cents worth...

I think this is the post of the day. I applaud OPs dietary changes and condemn those on this forum for blasting it (or mocking it). If someone can't be inspired by this kind of story, go live in a hole.

OHNOES.gif

mBXVfaW.gif
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    #JeSuisGlutenFree
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    most of the time I go to the doctor, they either tell me that what's wrong with me is exactly what I suspected or they find nothing and I eventually feel better. Sometimes I walk out thinking, what the heck did I just pay you for? Don't get all the nastiness towards the op who has been in and out of doctors offices for a year. She tried going that route.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP: the reason you lost weight is that you were in a deficit, had nothing to do with being gluten free.

See doctor, self diagnosing is never a good ideal.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    OP: the reason you lost weight is that you were in a deficit, had nothing to do with being gluten free.

she did see a doctor and they were useless. should she keep going anyway even though she fixed herself?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

she did see a doctor and they were useless. should she keep going anyway even though she fixed herself?

Then you keep finding a doctor who will give you a yes or no on the whether they have this disease or not.
  • Aviva92
    Options

Then you keep finding a doctor who will give you a yes or no on the whether they have this disease or not.

why? if you feel better, why would you keep going to doctors?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

This.

Just because a doctor doesn't care enough to dig deeper to find out what the problem is doesn't mean you just take that answer and leave it at that. It's taken me 2 GP's and 2 OB/GYN's to finally have someone send me to an endocrinologist. Turns out I have PCOS (insulin resistance) and the start of Hashimoto's.

One of the OB/GYN's said outright to me "your levels are within range for my lab, so I'm not going to investigate further". The first GP told me "as long as you have 4 cycles a year I'm not concerned". Nope. Not acceptable to me. It's my body, I have to live with this day in and day out. I want to know how I need to take care of myself without playing guessing games.

Maybe I could have accepted what the other doctors said, and then I may have ended up as a diabetic with a failed thyroid. I chose not to, and now I'm being monitored by a medical professional who will ensure my body is functioning properly.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Exactly! If your doctor isn't helping, fire his or her *kitten* and find another one.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Just because you feel better does not mean damage isn't occurring. I'm a freaking poster child for looking pretty normal, but having insides that are quite broken.

I actually have a consult with a surgeon in just a few hours to see when they want to remove part of my colon. Again, I don't look like I have a chronic condition that puts me at risk for a ruptured colon at any time. Hell, I've lost nearly 30 pounds, by my outward appearance most people think I'm substantially healthier.
  • Aviva92
    Options

Just because you feel better does not mean damage isn't occurring. I'm a freaking poster child for looking pretty normal, but having insides that are quite broken.

I actually have a consult with a surgeon in just a few hours to see when they want to remove part of my colon. Again, I don't look like I have a chronic condition that puts me at risk for a ruptured colon at any time. Hell, I've lost nearly 30 pounds, by my outward appearance most people think I'm substantially healthier.

agree to disagree
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Just because you feel better doesn't mean damage is occurring.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Can I run an extension cord into my hole? I'd be awfully bored with no music or light to read with.
  • PammieSuzyQ
    PammieSuzyQ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Oh yay! Another gluten is the devil thread.

As someone who is a actually allergic (anaphylaxis) to gluten, wheat and oat, I really dislike when people make claims like this. It makes those with actual issues seem less sincere.

THIS^ yeah, what Elphie said up there.

So until your DOCTOR DIAGNOSES YOU with Celiac Disease, the only thing you have is "Oh I have the most popular syndrome of the year, ain't I cute and pay attention to me!" Yeah, people like this trivialize the real Celiac Disease. The rest of us eye roll at you.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    It's like the people who get a formal diagnosis feel like they own this disease and nobody can get into their exclusive cool club without getting the permission of their doctor. Not sure why they are so threatened by these people who self diagnose.