gluten hates me...

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    It's like the people who get a formal diagnosis feel like they own this disease and nobody can get into their exclusive cool club without getting the permission of their doctor. Not sure why they are so threatened by these people who self diagnose.

Except I don't have celiacs. I have an actual allergy. If I so much as touch oat, my throat closes. Wheat and gluten I have to actually consume. I am not "threatened" by anyone. I get pissed off when people claim they have an illness or disease they were never diagnosed with, especially when it comes to food allergies. Do you know how many times I see people say they have a gluten issue, and then literally two minutes later consume a food with gluten in it? It is people like that, that make things worse. I can't tell you how many times a day someone says: well so and so eats _____ and they have an issue with gluten and they are okay- and it happens to be a food that contains "hidden" gluten. I have gotten to the point where I won't eat anything that I don't cook/prepare/take out of a package myself. Why? Because people assume if person "a" who really has no issue can eat it, it will not hurt me.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    It's like the people who get a formal diagnosis feel like they own this disease and nobody can get into their exclusive cool club without getting the permission of their doctor. Not sure why they are so threatened by these people who self diagnose.

Except I don't have celiacs. I have an actual allergy. If I so much as touch oat, my throat closes. Wheat and gluten I have to actually consume. I am not "threatened" by anyone. I get pissed off when people claim they have an illness or disease they were never diagnosed with, especially when it comes to food allergies. Do you know how many times I see people say they have a gluten issue, and then literally two minutes later consume a food with gluten in it? It is people like that, that make things worse. I can't tell you how many times a day someone says: well so and so eats _____ and they have an issue with gluten and they are okay- and it happens to be a food that contains "hidden" gluten. I have gotten to the point where I won't eat anything that I don't cook/prepare/take out of a package myself. Why? Because people assume if person "a" who really has no issue can eat it, it will not hurt me.

okay, I can understand being frustrated by that.
  • elphie754
    Options

Yeah, I'd say it is "frustrating" to land in ICU on a ventilator for 5-7 days due to my airway closing.

Bottom line- if you do not have a certain medical condition diagnosed, do not say that you do based on you "think you do".
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    OMG so avoiding gluten makes her feel better, for whatever reason. THAT'S OKAY. The fad-ness of gluten free has made gluten-free options so much more widely available. Those of you hating on her can at least be thankful for that, can't you?

She wasn't telling everyone to stop eating gluten, she was looking for people with a similar experience to be her MFP friends.

If I decide tomorrow that I feel a thousand times better when I only eat orange foods, and start my oranges and sweet potato diet and come here to post about how great I feel, you don't have to come on here and spread the hate just because you are blue-food-intolerant and have been eating only orange for years. Especially if my diet catches on and now orange foods are available everywhere! everybody wins!

Lighten up! Sheesh.
  • Aviva92
    Options

Yeah, I'd say it is "frustrating" to land in ICU on a ventilator for 5-7 days due to my airway closing.

Bottom line- if you do not have a certain medical condition diagnosed, do not say that you do based on you "think you do".

your frustration is clouding your judgment here. The o.p. is excited that she found something to make her feel better. That doesn't have to be a threat to you.
  • elphie754
    Options

your frustration is clouding your judgment here. The o.p. is excited that she found something to make her feel better. That doesn't have to be a threat to you.

You have heard of the term placebo effect right? Where there is no real cause for them feeling better except that they believe they do? That's pretty much what this is.

• Aviva92
    Options

You have heard of the term placebo effect right? Where there is no real cause for them feeling better except that they believe they do? That's pretty much what this is.

and how do you know that?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Even assuming that's true (we have no way of knowing)...so what?

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Gluten sensitivity may not exist.

"when the placebo diet was identical to the baseline diet, subjects reported a worsening of symptoms! The data clearly indicated that a nocebo effect, the same reaction that prompts some people to get sick from wind turbines and wireless internet, was at work here. Patients reported gastrointestinal distress without any apparent physical cause. Gluten wasn't the culprit; the cause was likely psychological. Participants expected the diets to make them sick, and so they did."

• elphie754
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

So you would be okay with someone going around saying they have cancer and have to eat xyz to stay healthy during chemo, when they do not? Just because that way of eating makes them feel better?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

^This. 1000 this. Even as a celiac, the hidden gluten thing is dangerous, because repeated exposures mean more than just some unpleasantness in the bathroom.

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    OMG so avoiding gluten makes her feel better, for whatever reason. THAT'S OKAY. The fad-ness of gluten free has made gluten-free options so much more widely available. Those of you hating on her can at least be thankful for that, can't you?

She wasn't telling everyone to stop eating gluten, she was looking for people with a similar experience to be her MFP friends.

If I decide tomorrow that I feel a thousand times better when I only eat orange foods, and start my oranges and sweet potato diet and come here to post about how great I feel, you don't have to come on here and spread the hate just because you are blue-food-intolerant and have been eating only orange for years. Especially if my diet catches on and now orange foods are available everywhere! everybody wins!

Lighten up! Sheesh.

Welllllllll.... to an extent. Some of the "gluten-free" product availability? Isn't really gluten free.

Case in point: I bought a protein powder that said it was gluten free. It wasn't. There have been cases of restaurants serving gluten-filled pasta and claiming it was gluten-free. Farmer's markets selling gluteny rolls as gluten free. And why? Well, lack of regulation for one thing, but the other being the casual way gluten is being treated as a fad (not saying this is the case with the OP at this point, given her family history). Sooooo many people have jumped on the gluten free bandwagon and then turn around and ingest it anyway and unscrupulous types aren't unaware of that.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

I think with her family history that the OP may very well have some issues. I still think she should find a competent GI and get a good diagnosis, though. She can get genetic testing at the very least.

• adw0418
    Options
    Dear als, I have too been having issues with gluten (I think) or maybe wheat. I am still dialing it in. I am 45 and have always struggled with my weight, and also had "tummy issues". I started a food journal and noticed a pattern with a lot of wheat products, (wheat bread, tortillas, etc.) and a lot of alcohol products. So I am in the process of slowing them down and eating more veggies and lean meats. I lost 10 pounds last month. I don't know if it's because of the better quality of calories, or it's the wheat and wine being out. Either way, I too feel better with a lot less tummy aches, so I am on the right track. Would love to hear more feedback and ideas. "I sent an add friend". PS, Congrats on the pounds lost! :)
  • carepear
    carepear Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Gluten and/or wheat doesn't agree with me either. I have an autoimmune disease and I feel like my symptoms and pain are better when I don't eat grains at all. The medical community isn't interested in helping me figure out exactly why so I will just keep on avoiding it. I would rather feel better than not. I'm not a microbiologist so I can't tell you why it bothers me, just that it does. It may be the sugars, or a different protein, or a pesticide, or whatever. I don't really care, but I do listen to my body when it tells me not to eat something.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    OP: the reason you lost weight is that you were in a deficit, had nothing to do with being gluten free.

See doctor, self diagnosing is never a good ideal.

That^^^

The reason she lost weight is because she was in a deficit? How do you know that? Were you counting calories for her?
    Because you need to be in a deficit to lose weight........you know that science thing.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

So you would be okay with someone going around saying they have cancer and have to eat xyz to stay healthy during chemo, when they do not? Just because that way of eating makes them feel better?

Not following. why would someone say they are getting chemo when they aren't? That sounds like a blatent lie. How is that comparable to this?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    OP: the reason you lost weight is that you were in a deficit, had nothing to do with being gluten free.

See doctor, self diagnosing is never a good ideal.

That^^^

The reason she lost weight is because she was in a deficit? How do you know that? Were you counting calories for her?

The reason anyone loses weight is because they're in a deficit.

The OP already said that she replaced gluten with vegetables and fruit. That would create a caloric deficit.