gluten hates me...

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Unless you've been medically diagnosed with a Gluten Sensitivity, it's in your head.

Don't buy into the hype, folks: Gluten ain't gonna kill you (and it won't even cause you problems)

I've never been tested but I eliminated gluten almost 5 years ago. I also tried eliminating dairy first, which did not alleviate my digestive issues. Removing gluten did, other than when I'm very stressed or menstruating. I would have to reintroduce it for at least 6 weeks if I wanted to get tested. I did actually go back to eating gluten almost a year ago, I only lasted a few months before my digestive issues became problematic enough to interfere with my normal daily living. I eat GF alternatives so it's not carbs/flour/etc issue.

So totally fine to figure out through process of elimination whether a food item is behind your physical ailments without paying for testing which may come back as a false negative anyways.

ETA I get the same digestive issues when I eat non-wheat glutinous foods. Severity seems to depend on the amount of the food/ingredient I consume.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    zenaxe wrote: »
    ... they are the patron saints of defending gluten ie gluten is not the devil, don't buy into

You are quite mistaken.

We are the Patron Saints of Anti BroScience FatLogic WooWoo

"Gluten Free" is just the tiniest subset thereof.

• zenaxe
    zenaxe Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    lol@Sergeant....I'm with you on being pro science.
  • SergeantSausage
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    Unless you've been medically diagnosed with a Gluten Sensitivity, it's in your head.

Don't buy into the hype, folks: Gluten ain't gonna kill you (and it won't even cause you problems)

uh, how do you know it's "in her head" exactly? a medical diagnosis doesn't magically make it real.

As if self diagnosis does?

Riiiiiggght...

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

uh, how do you know it's "in her head" exactly? a medical diagnosis doesn't magically make it real.

Like self diagnosis does?

Riiiiiggght.

if eliminating gluten from her diet makes her feel better, why is this bad exactly? sounds like the test to actually determine if it is real isn't worth it since it involves making the symptoms happen again. what for?
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options
    she should probably make herself sick again in order to get a real diagnosis, just to satisfy a bunch of strangers on the internet. excellent suggestion.
  • ana3067
    Options
    zenaxe wrote: »
    I find it interesting that when someone posts about being gluten free, be it by choice prompted by a medical condition and sensitivity, or just simply wanting to eliminate gluten from their diets but without any medical basis; that people have to chime in with bizarre comments showing they are the patron saints of defending gluten ie gluten is not the devil, don't buy into the hype etc. If someone decides to reduce or eliminate sugar, alcohol, caffeine, hydrogenated oil, high fructose corn syrup or whatever else is out there, who runs around defending those? No one, but for some reason people seem to have a need to pipe up with dissenting voices and commentaries whenever anyone claims to feel better after eliminating gluten. People have real medical issues with gluten and others just don't want to eat it. So what's the real issue for people resisting this? Just my 0.2 cents worth...

A lot of us on the boards condone NOT eliminating the type of things you just listed unless it's for medical reasons - diagnosed or otherwise. None of what you listed bothers my digestion so I don't remove them from my diet. Weirdly enough gelatin in yogurt, and only when it's in yogurt from what I've noticed, gives me stomach upset. So that's something I avoid and I eat gelatin-free yogurt only.
  • SergeantSausage
    Options

Like self diagnosis does?

Riiiiiggght.

if eliminating gluten from her diet makes her feel better, why is this bad exactly? sounds like the test to actually determine if it is real isn't worth it since it involves making the symptoms happen again. what for?

It's not bad.

Spreading the Woo Woo is what's bad.

As far as I'm concerned, she's experiencing nothing more than a rather positive Placebo Effect. Until a medical professional chimes in, we can assign nothing more to it.

Nothing.

• SergeantSausage
    edited January 2015
    Options
    she should probably make herself sick again in order to get a real diagnosis, just to satisfy a bunch of strangers on the internet. excellent suggestion.

She should probably, y'know, quit self diagnosing medical conditions.

It may kill her some day.

... Or some stranger on the internet taking her advice.

But it's all good, right? In the name of FeelGoodies and WhosItHurtingAnyway, right?

• Aviva92
    Options
    You know what doesn't agree with me? Alcohol. It makes my acid reflux issues surface and I feel like death as a result. In order to get an actual diagnosis of acid reflux, I need to have the symptoms be at their worst so the doctor can do an endoscopy. An endoscopy is pointless until the symptoms are really bad though. Doctor is pretty certain that my issues are acid reflux though, but just can't test it until my symptoms come back. Do I:

1. Drink lots of alcohol and make the symptoms come back just to get some silly diagnosis?
    2. Try to avoid the symptoms coming back by not drinking much cause the symptoms suck!

I'm going with 2. Think it's fine that the o.p. goes with option 2 in terms of gluten.
  • SergeantSausage
    Options
    You know what doesn't agree with me? Alcohol. It makes my acid reflux issues surface and I feel like death as a result. In order to get an actual diagnosis of acid reflux, I need to have the symptoms be at their worst so the doctor can do an endoscopy. An endoscopy is pointless until the symptoms are really bad though. Doctor is pretty certain that my issues are acid reflux though, but just can't test it until my symptoms come back. Do I:

1. Drink lots of alcohol and make the symptoms come back just to get some silly diagnosis?
    2. Try to avoid the symptoms coming back by not drinking much cause the symptoms suck!

I'm going with 2. Think it's fine that the o.p. goes with option 2 in terms of gluten.

Ah huh but you don't go around preaching the Evils Of Alcohol to folks who have no such sensitivity, do you?

See the difference yet?

I'll wait. Some are slower ...

• Aviva92
    Options

Ah huh but you don't go around preaching the Evils Of Alcohol to folks who have no such sensitivity, do you?

See the difference yet?

I'll wait. Some are slower ...

she isn't preaching the evils of gluten either. she said she had symptoms and removing gluten removed those symptoms.

if someone told me they had acid reflux symptoms exactly like mine that were set off with alcohol, i would suggest eliminating alcohol.
  • MW010115
    MW010115 Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree with ALS. I had the same experience. I have Celiac disease too. After goinng Gluten free I lost 40 lbs. My mistake was replacing the bread and pastas with 'gluten free" alternatives. I have since gained back the 40 lbs. I'm elminating the alternatives starting today. Sticking to the Meat, Dairy, Fruit and Veggies. We'll see how it goes....
  • ana3067
    Options
    I agree with ALS. I had the same experience. I have Celiac disease too. After goinng Gluten free I lost 40 lbs. My mistake was replacing the bread and pastas with 'gluten free" alternatives. I have since gained back the 40 lbs. I'm elminating the alternatives starting today. Sticking to the Meat, Dairy, Fruit and Veggies. We'll see how it goes....
    I eat the alternatives, and I've lost 25lbs or more in the process. These items don't make you gain weight, being in a caloric surplus makes you gain weight. Log the GF alternatives you eat and stay within your caloric needs.
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options
    als13071 wrote: »
    YoshiCow wrote: »
    Get checked by your doctor. They'll do tests on you for celiac disease.

There was a program on TV this week saying about gluten free products. They contain more fat, sugar, sodium etc. People are gaining weight on them even though they think they are good for you.

Well done on your weight loss though.

Unfortunately, You cant test for celiac or intollerance when you havent eatten gluten in 2 months. In addition i have been to the doctors probably 3x a month for a year. Also, i dont substitute gluten free products for bread and so on... i do noy eat pastas, breads, ect... i pretty much eat meat, fruit, and veggies.

In addition to what I said before, I would normally tell someone who has symptoms of anything to see their doctor first, but it sounds like based on this post, she DID see her doctor repeatedly and they were not helpful. This is why I think what she's doing is okay if it's helping.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,528 Member
    Options
    I had problems for years, but never thought they'd be related to bread. Then I moved to a different country where bread is just made of the most simple ingredients and no additives. I didn't really notice that my problems were gone, but at a certain time I thought: wait a moment! When I returned to the previous country on a lengthy business trip I brought this bread with me and still had no problems. When it was finished I switched back to the normal canteen bread - and the problems came back the second night. Might be coincidence, but I rather think I'm reacting to something in that bread, one of the countless additives I suppose. No way of knowing of course, and I haven't been back since. But I'm free of problems.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Fyi, its not hype. And i have a long family history of celiac, and gluten intollerance. Odds are i havr one of the two.

If you really have celiac, giving up gluten would have caused weight GAIN, not weight loss. Someone with celiac has issues digesting food and absorbing nutrients. Eliminating the gluten heals the gut, and suddenly it can absorb all the calories being eaten, leading to weight gain if no other dietary changes take place. Cutting gluten leading to weight loss means you have no such issue.
  • Amberyl
    Options
    The danger lies in people who are easily influenced by success stories not going out to get a proper diagnosis. If the issue is something more serious, but cutting gluten reduces the symptoms to the point that they no longer feel the need to seek medical advice, it could result in serious problems down the road. If gluten-free diets make someone feel better, fine, but don't self-diagnose. If you have a history of celiac disease in your family, get the diagnosis. When I went, they said I only needed to eat gluten for 2 weeks for it to show up on the test. After many years / months of dealing with it, what's another 2 weeks of discomfort if it means you know for sure? Celiac is the sort of thing you want in your medical file in case something happens and you can't communicate your illness to the staff. Otherwise they might actually do harm while trying to treat you.

Congrats on the weight loss! Glad it worked out for you =)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    QuietBloom wrote: »

Only a doctor can diagnose true gluten issues.

I disagree. While a medical diagnosis would be nice, it is not essential. If one feels better not eating gluten, especially if there is a familial history of celiac, I will not scoff. The medical consequences of eating gluten for someone with celiac are far too dire to chance.

Only a doctor can diagnose it. That is true. I don't care if someone eliminates anything from their diet, HOWEVER... to claim that it will lead to weight loss? It's woo. To come acting as an expert on the subject? More woo.

Also? It is really, really suspect that doctors didn't test her with her family history.

I am well aware of the dire consequences of ingesting gluten if you have celiac disease. I was biopsy diagnosed 18 years ago. That's why I know it's important to have a real diagnosis and have it in your medical records.

• ana3067
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

Fyi, its not hype. And i have a long family history of celiac, and gluten intollerance. Odds are i havr one of the two.

If you really have celiac, giving up gluten would have caused weight GAIN, not weight loss. Someone with celiac has issues digesting food and absorbing nutrients. Eliminating the gluten heals the gut, and suddenly it can absorb all the calories being eaten, leading to weight gain if no other dietary changes take place. Cutting gluten leading to weight loss means you have no such issue.
    I remember at some point in time I was Googling about all of this, and in some cases a gluten allergy can actually result in weight gain. I believe it is more common for the issue to be weight loss due to the issues you mentioned, though.

These websites list weight gain as a symptom, for instance. clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/gastroenterology/celiac-disease-malabsorptive-disorders/., celiacdisease.about.com/od/symptomsofceliacdisease/a/celiacsymptoms.htm.

Although whether OP truly has celiac doesn't matter if eating a certain way has eliminated the issues she experienced. She just can't go around saying she is Celiac because she hasn't been tested. Whenever I'm questioned about my eating habits I simply say I eat GF because of my digestive issues related to eating it. In some cases I have made it adamant that I'm not Celiac, but in other cases it just wasn't worth my effort to elaborate/explain.