Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    Unless you've been medically diagnosed with a Gluten Sensitivity, it's in your head.

Don't buy into the hype, folks: Gluten ain't gonna kill you (and it won't even cause you problems)

uh, how do you know it's "in her head" exactly? a medical diagnosis doesn't magically make it real.

Like self diagnosis does?

Riiiiiggght.

if eliminating gluten from her diet makes her feel better, why is this bad exactly? sounds like the test to actually determine if it is real isn't worth it since it involves making the symptoms happen again. what for?

Read her first post. She made claims beyond it making her feel better. Misinformation is a bad thing that should be corrected.

Giving up gluten doesn't lead to weight loss, and honestly? If she had celiac disease, it would likely lead to weight gain. When I was sick before my diagnosis, I lost an alarming amount of weight in a VERY short amount of time due to malabsorption. When I gave up gluten and my villi healed, I started putting weight back on again.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    You know what doesn't agree with me? Alcohol. It makes my acid reflux issues surface and I feel like death as a result. In order to get an actual diagnosis of acid reflux, I need to have the symptoms be at their worst so the doctor can do an endoscopy. An endoscopy is pointless until the symptoms are really bad though. Doctor is pretty certain that my issues are acid reflux though, but just can't test it until my symptoms come back. Do I:

1. Drink lots of alcohol and make the symptoms come back just to get some silly diagnosis?
    2. Try to avoid the symptoms coming back by not drinking much cause the symptoms suck!

I'm going with 2. Think it's fine that the o.p. goes with option 2 in terms of gluten.

Ah huh but you don't go around preaching the Evils Of Alcohol to folks who have no such sensitivity, do you?

See the difference yet?

I'll wait. Some are slower ...

she isn't preaching the evils of gluten either. she said she had symptoms and removing gluten removed those symptoms.

if someone told me they had acid reflux symptoms exactly like mine that were set off with alcohol, i would suggest eliminating alcohol.

Read her first post again.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    zenaxe wrote: »
    If someone decides to reduce or eliminate sugar, alcohol, caffeine, hydrogenated oil, high fructose corn syrup or whatever else is out there, who runs around defending those? No one...

I'm guessing you haven't been here very long. Someone posting a thread where they extoll the benefits of eliminating any of those will draw all kinds of "WTF are doing?!" responses.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Read her first post. She made claims beyond it making her feel better. Misinformation is a bad thing that should be corrected.

This is an internet chat board, not a peer-reviewed JAMA publication. 90% of what gets posted here is "misinformation" of one kind or another.

Chillax....
  • amk165
    amk165 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed with hypothyroid. My levels were in thereputic range, but I still had symptoms. As a "you could try this and see if it makes a difference" My Dr told me I might want to elimimnate gluten for 30 days. Then to eat some gluten and see what happens. I laughed. Give up bread, are you crazy?

After a few months, of not feeling better, I thought I would give it a try.

After the 30 days I felt great. Slept better, more energy, my stomach was calm (thought my stomach was normal), my mood was good, my appetite was under control and the biggest surprise was that my joints did not hurt as much. So...accidently ate some gluten. Stomach upset, bloated, headache, joint pain, crazy out of control appetite - I wanted to eat everything.... Guess what...I no longer eat gluten. Feel so much better without it. Since my Dr told me to do this, as a suggestion, I guess it means I was formally diagnosed. No blood tests, no high tech medical procedures. Anyone can eliminate it, try it and see if you react. If you feel better without it great! All I know is that I never thought gluten was an issue for me. But gluten hates me! Dr or no Dr.

A actual diagnosis does not make this more or less real for those of us who feel better gf.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

This is an internet chat board, not a peer-reviewed JAMA publication. 90% of what gets posted here is "misinformation" of one kind or another.

Chillax....

Well, it's kind of hard to. Self-diagnosis of gluten issues is a bugaboo of mine. There are idiots out there who know about it being trendy now to avoid gluten and sort of see avoiding gluten as a casual issue, so they aren't very careful when they make their claims about items being "gluten-free". This has happened in restaurants, farmer's markets, and in countless homes.

I was diagnosed with celiac disease 18 years ago, and back then, there really weren't gluten-free products on store shelves. I ordered things off the internet. The Celiac Society of America worked with retailers and restaurants to get recognition and accommodation for celiac sufferers, and that work is being undone by self-diagnosing people who give up gluten because it's a fad.

So no, I won't relax. Giving up gluten isn't a key to weight loss. I'm glad the OP feels better, but I still suspect her claims. With a family history of celiac, she's got to have some really awful doctors if they never tested her if she was there 3x's a month with digestive complaints for over a year.

• nerdburglar13
    Options

Chillax....

This.^ The fact is, no one who is actually qualified to make any truly knowledgable observations would bother doing so on a forum such as this. Als, I'm glad you feel better and that you're losing weight. Keep up the good work!
  • Mr_Knight
    edited January 2015
    Options

Chillax....

Well, it's kind of hard to. Self-diagnosis of gluten issues is a bugaboo of mine...
    So no, I won't relax.

Ok. Just so we're clear that it has nothing to do with OP, and it's just you dragging your own dieting baggage into the conversation.

:drinker:
  • mianly
    mianly Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested I stop eating gluten just to see if it would make a difference and it did. I was going to the doctor every month, everything seemed perfectly fine on every test I did. Once I stop eating gluten, I finaly got my life back. I've learned a couple months later that I also had history of celiac in my family. I never got tested for celiac as I was not eating it anymore. I feel awesome that's what matters to me. A lot of people gets really aggressive when you talk against wheat, it's really just too bad.
  • jentroconis77
    jentroconis77 Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I for one am a total believer ! Since my son turned 5 months old I started with major GI / indigestion you name it troubles, couldn't eat anything without my tummy getting horribly upset causing me a lot of debilitating pain.

Went to the GP and was put on a PPI ( reduces stomach acid ) which didn't really work at all. Then I went to a Naturalpathic doctor and had some allergy testing done.

As a result, I've cut out gluten/ cow's milk/ soy...... skip forward to today and I no longer have ANY stomach issues. I have subbed in Almond milk for dairy and just eat a very clean whole food diet now. Veggies, fruit, meat. No more processed pre packaged food, snack foods etc.

Also I had my GP run blood tests and my limits came back within normal range, not showing celiac, let's try to remember that there are varying degrees of each persons sensitivity and not all are captured in standardized testing.

Keep up the good work!

Let's keep our responses positive, isn't this site about helping each other ?!
    Have a great day !
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Chillax....

This.^ The fact is, no one who is actually qualified to make any truly knowledgable observations would bother doing so on a forum such as this. Als, I'm glad you feel better and that you're losing weight. Keep up the good work!

Actually, there are plenty of qualified people on here who do take the time to educate and help people here.
  • als13071
    als13071 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    als13071 wrote: »
    YoshiCow wrote: »
    Get checked by your doctor. They'll do tests on you for celiac disease.

There was a program on TV this week saying about gluten free products. They contain more fat, sugar, sodium etc. People are gaining weight on them even though they think they are good for you.

Well done on your weight loss though.

Unfortunately, You cant test for celiac or intollerance when you havent eatten gluten in 2 months. In addition i have been to the doctors probably 3x a month for a year. Also, i dont substitute gluten free products for bread and so on... i do noy eat pastas, breads, ect... i pretty much eat meat, fruit, and veggies.

There was a program on TV this week saying about gluten free products. They contain more fat, sugar, sodium etc. People are gaining weight on them even though they think they are good for you.

Unfortunately, You cant test for celiac or intollerance when you havent eatten gluten in 2 months. In addition i have been to the doctors probably 3x a month for a year. Also, i dont substitute gluten free products for bread and so on... i do noy eat pastas, breads, ect... i pretty much eat meat, fruit, and veggies.

That's why you lost weight. Eliminating starchy carbs and replacing them with vegetables will significantly reduce caloric intake.

Also, you can test if you have a family history. Find a GI doctor who does genetic testing. If there's a family history, you can at least be tested for the gene. It won't confirm a diagnosis since you can carry a gene without the disease manifesting, but it will confirm that you carry it.

I too wonder why you weren't tested in all the time you were suffering, especially with your family history. My son started having digestive issues and celiac is t

I think it comes down to poor doctors who base everything off a previous diagnosis rather than looking at the root cause. I seen 3 doctors plus my
    QuietBloom wrote: »

Only a doctor can diagnose true gluten issues.

I disagree. While a medical diagnosis would be nice, it is not essential. If one feels better not eating gluten, especially if there is a familial history of celiac, I will not scoff. The medical consequences of eating gluten for someone with celiac are far too dire to chance.

Only a doctor can diagnose it. That is true. I don't care if someone eliminates anything from their diet, HOWEVER... to claim that it will lead to weight loss? It's woo. To come acting as an expert on the subject? More woo.

Also? It is really, really suspect that doctors didn't test her with her family history.

I am well aware of the dire consequences of ingesting gluten if you have celiac disease. I was biopsy diagnosed 18 years ago. That's why I know it's important to have a real diagnosis and have it in your medical records.

Let me provide some clarity to your suspiciousness of my doctor not testing this given my family history... i agree it was suspicious. Even my curreny gastro dr had questioned this. Not all of my symptoms are something someone would have with a food intollerance. In the beginning they actually tried to say i had a blood clot. I brlieve the massive amount of problemsi as having due to having more than one health issur caused problems. I also switched doctors a few times and was not fully aware the family medical history until my health was really bad. Trust me i could absolutely care less if people support gluten eating or not. I want to offer advice to those who need help through it regardless. Im not against it. My son eats gluten my husbanf eats gluten. I also do not say gluten is the reason for weightloss... sure it affects people like me who really used to eat loads of breads, pastas and ect without care. I loaded myself with calories of course i would lose weight when i stopped eating those and replaced with less calorie foods. I am also very supportive of eating foods with magnesium does anyone know why??? Id imagine not because peoplr are so caught up in the idea that this is just about weight loss and not about a great feat for me. Do i think you all need to change? No... not once did i say everyone who reads this post should stop eating gluten.. i said gluten doesnt like my body... and it doesnt. Nor does dairy right now. People read too far inyo things and make assumptions leading to angered posts abouy there feelings and opinions. This was my story and i could again... care less what people choose to eat but i am more than willing to.help anyone who wants motivation or ideas of recipes and ect... thats it.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    mianly wrote: »
    My doctor suggested I stop eating gluten just to see if it would make a difference and it did. I was going to the doctor every month, everything seemed perfectly fine on every test I did. Once I stop eating gluten, I finaly got my life back. I've learned a couple months later that I also had history of celiac in my family. I never got tested for celiac as I was not eating it anymore. I feel awesome that's what matters to me. A lot of people gets really aggressive when you talk against wheat, it's really just too bad.

Sounds like a reasonable doctor.

People need to relax... This is just a common sense "if you don't feel well eating it, don't eat it" kind of issue.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Chillax....

Well, it's kind of hard to. Self-diagnosis of gluten issues is a bugaboo of mine...
    So no, I won't relax.

Ok. Just so we're clear that it has nothing to do with OP, and it's just you dragging your own dieting baggage into the conversation.

Do you actually ever come in to help people, or are you happy to just boost up the drama. In Every. Single. Thread.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited January 2015
    Options

Chillax....

So no, I won't relax.

Dieting? Um, no. Nice try at a personal attack, though. Did you actually read my post where I explained my motive?

To reiterate, people, like me, with actual celiac disease, are getting glutened, because more and more people are not taking "gluten-free" seriously, since so many people are self-diagnosing.

In case you don't know, if someone with celiac disease is exposed to gluten often enough, it can lead to refractory sprue or cancer.
  • als13071
    Options
    amk165 wrote: »
    Diagnosed with hypothyroid. My levels were in thereputic range, but I still had symptoms. As a "you could try this and see if it makes a difference" My Dr told me I might want to elimimnate gluten for 30 days. Then to eat some gluten and see what happens. I laughed. Give up bread, are you crazy?

After a few months, of not feeling better, I thought I would give it a try.

After the 30 days I felt great. Slept better, more energy, my stomach was calm (thought my stomach was normal), my mood was good, my appetite was under control and the biggest surprise was that my joints did not hurt as much. So...accidently ate some gluten. Stomach upset, bloated, headache, joint pain, crazy out of control appetite - I wanted to eat everything.... Guess what...I no longer eat gluten. Feel so much better without it. Since my Dr told me to do this, as a suggestion, I guess it means I was formally diagnosed. No blood tests, no high tech medical procedures. Anyone can eliminate it, try it and see if you react. If you feel better without it great! All I know is that I never thought gluten was an issue for me. But gluten hates me! Dr or no Dr.

A actual diagnosis does not make this more or less real for those of us who feel better gf.

I have heard of a million stories like this and im happy you found what worked! Every person is different. What some fail to understand is my purpose for this post. It is not to alter people to stop eating gluten... my son and husband still do! Its about letting people know there are people who have made the decision to to eat not gluten and that i can provide insight on my experience. Im talking recipe swap stuff not medical advice!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

That's why you lost weight. Eliminating starchy carbs and replacing them with vegetables will significantly reduce caloric intake.

Also, you can test if you have a family history. Find a GI doctor who does genetic testing. If there's a family history, you can at least be tested for the gene. It won't confirm a diagnosis since you can carry a gene without the disease manifesting, but it will confirm that you carry it.

I too wonder why you weren't tested in all the time you were suffering, especially with your family history. My son started having digestive issues and celiac is t

I think it comes down to poor doctors who base everything off a previous diagnosis rather than looking at the root cause. I seen 3 doctors plus my
    QuietBloom wrote: »

Only a doctor can diagnose true gluten issues.

I disagree. While a medical diagnosis would be nice, it is not essential. If one feels better not eating gluten, especially if there is a familial history of celiac, I will not scoff. The medical consequences of eating gluten for someone with celiac are far too dire to chance.

Only a doctor can diagnose it. That is true. I don't care if someone eliminates anything from their diet, HOWEVER... to claim that it will lead to weight loss? It's woo. To come acting as an expert on the subject? More woo.

Also? It is really, really suspect that doctors didn't test her with her family history.

I am well aware of the dire consequences of ingesting gluten if you have celiac disease. I was biopsy diagnosed 18 years ago. That's why I know it's important to have a real diagnosis and have it in your medical records.

Let me provide some clarity to your suspiciousness of my doctor not testing this given my family history... i agree it was suspicious. Even my curreny gastro dr had questioned this. Not all of my symptoms are something someone would have with a food intollerance. In the beginning they actually tried to say i had a blood clot. I brlieve the massive amount of problemsi as having due to having more than one health issur caused problems. I also switched doctors a few times and was not fully aware the family medical history until my health was really bad. Trust me i could absolutely care less if people support gluten eating or not. I want to offer advice to those who need help through it regardless. Im not against it. My son eats gluten my husbanf eats gluten. I also do not say gluten is the reason for weightloss... sure it affects people like me who really used to eat loads of breads, pastas and ect without care. I loaded myself with calories of course i would lose weight when i stopped eating those and replaced with less calorie foods. I am also very supportive of eating foods with magnesium does anyone know why??? Id imagine not because peoplr are so caught up in the idea that this is just about weight loss and not about a great feat for me. Do i think you all need to change? No... not once did i say everyone who reads this post should stop eating gluten.. i said gluten doesnt like my body... and it doesnt. Nor does dairy right now. People read too far inyo things and make assumptions leading to angered posts abouy there feelings and opinions. This was my story and i could again... care less what people choose to eat but i am more than willing to.help anyone who wants motivation or ideas of recipes and ect... thats it.

There will come a time, though, down the line, where you should have it in your medical records if you have celiac disease or not. If you're hospitalized, for example.

I am really sorry you had such an awful experience with bad doctors. I've been through that with my fair share of neurologists, and know it's not fun.

My husband and kids eat gluten too. It's nice to smell their pizza. I haven't had any in 18 years.
  • als13071
    Options
    So the past 2 months i have lived my life completely gluten free after a painful and hard year. I have faced weight gain (45lbs), swelling, abdominal pain, heart palputations and sooo many more trying events in the past year. Leaving gluten behind has been my savior. I have lost in total abouy 32lbs so far of the weight i have gained only from dietary changes because i have been too weak to exercize. I look forward to starting a routine soon as i am slowly regaining strength. I have researched my health issues for 8 months and never thought that food was slowly killing me.
    I am addiction free and food no longer holds me hostage. For anyone who needs help with there journey... find a friend in me and i will find a friend in you. We all need someone to be there. I am very knowledgeable and have lots of advice on gluten intollerance. Ask away and i will be there : -).

Do your research before you say "I will never lose this weight" because if your doing everything right and its still there your body is doing something wrong. Dont wait for it to consume you to make a change

I think you people are misinterpretting my post... just a heads up. I am not telling any of you not to eat gluten and yes i do beleieve my Medical issues associated with food (gluten being one of them) would have killed me. Do i care if you eat it? Hell no. And quite frankly i dont even know you people so idc what you eat. This post is about my experience. I am a firm beleiver that ALL foods are an addiction and i was addicted to food. It caused weight gain... Including all of it! I also did not say gluten caused weightloss... i said to do your research before assuming your never going to lose weight because if your doing everything right your body is doing something wrong... and yes i believe that too... its also something i have attached to alot of things i post... its not necessarily about gluten. Btw i am also a firm believer in natural remedy and the body healing itself... im guessing that must have some opinionated people stiring too huh.

Dont read too far into things. If you dont like what i write... dont read it. I think its pretty simple...
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    If someone says that they feel much better eating gluten-free (or lactose-free or whatever) I am not going to argue with them. However, many digestive problems/conditions have similar symptoms so it is important to state that this may be the issue and encourage a person who has presenting issues to get checked rather than taking a blanket 'gluten is the devil spread the word approach".

The problem I have is that people don't just do a "shout out" about gluten free by suggesting to other people who are suffering that they might want to get tested. It is quite natural, after finding a solution to a chronic problem, to want to shout it from the roof tops. However, you should also be responsible and not even suggest that gluten free is the answer to weight loss. People who have no digestive health issues, but are dying for a knew answer for weight loss, jump on this hype. There are many, many more people with health related obesity issues (diabetes, heart conditions) compared to a very small group with gluten issues. Except for those with celiac the health problems are more serious. They don't need to be given misinformation and many people don't get that the only time gluten-free leads to weight loss is when the person was eating a lot of calorie dense products with gluten before and didn't substitute them with high calorie gluten-free products (i.e. they consumed less calories).