gluten hates me...

Options
So the past 2 months i have lived my life completely gluten free after a painful and hard year. I have faced weight gain (45lbs), swelling, abdominal pain, heart palputations and sooo many more trying events in the past year. Leaving gluten behind has been my savior. I have lost in total abouy 32lbs so far of the weight i have gained only from dietary changes because i have been too weak to exercize. I look forward to starting a routine soon as i am slowly regaining strength. I have researched my health issues for 8 months and never thought that food was slowly killing me.
I am addiction free and food no longer holds me hostage. For anyone who needs help with there journey... find a friend in me and i will find a friend in you. We all need someone to be there. I am very knowledgeable and have lots of advice on gluten intollerance. Ask away and i will be there : -).

Do your research before you say "I will never lose this weight" because if your doing everything right and its still there your body is doing something wrong. Dont wait for it to consume you to make a change

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Unless you've been medically diagnosed with a Gluten Sensitivity, it's in your head.

Don't buy into the hype, folks: Gluten ain't gonna kill you (and it won't even cause you problems)
  • YoshiCow
    YoshiCow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Get checked by your doctor. They'll do tests on you for celiac disease.

There was a program on TV this week saying about gluten free products. They contain more fat, sugar, sodium etc. People are gaining weight on them even though they think they are good for you.

Well done on your weight loss though.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Oh yay! Another gluten is the devil thread.

As someone who is a tuallyctually allergic (anaphylaxis) to gluten, wheat and oat, I really dislike when people make claims like this. It makes those with actual issues seem less sincere.
  • als13071
    als13071 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    YoshiCow wrote: »

There was a program on TV this week saying about gluten free products. They contain more fat, sugar, sodium etc. People are gaining weight on them even though they think they are good for you.

Unfortunately, You cant test for celiac or intollerance when you havent eatten gluten in 2 months. In addition i have been to the doctors probably 3x a month for a year. Also, i dont substitute gluten free products for bread and so on... i do noy eat pastas, breads, ect... i pretty much eat meat, fruit, and veggies.
  • als13071
    Options
    Unless you've been medically diagnosed with a Gluten Sensitivity, it's in your head.

Don't buy into the hype, folks: Gluten ain't gonna kill you (and it won't even cause you problems)

Fyi, its not hype. And i have a long family history of celiac, and gluten intollerance. Odds are i havr one of the two.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    As someone with long-ago diagnosed celiac disease, I also really dislike woo-filled claims like this for the same reasons elphie dislikes them. The celiac community has fought for recognition and accommodation for years and it's being undermined by self-diagnosing faddists.

Also OP? You lost weight because you ate at a calorie deficit. Giving up gluten had nothing to do with it.

Only a doctor can diagnose true gluten issues.
  • SergeantSausage
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You don't have it until a medical professional diagnoses you with it.

Farking self-diagnosis is shenanigans ...
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have a daughter with diagnosed celiac disease, so I get the "gluten is the devil" idea. I also have a friend who was not diagnosed, & recently met another woman who has not been diagnosed, but who both feel the effects within 12-24 hours after eating it. (one has stomach issues, one with inflammation/arthritis). Skipping gluten has made them feel better. I agree about the processed gfree items being not terribly healthy, & in fact my daughter gained back the weight she lost before her diagnosis & then some by relying too heavily on them, but she knows that & is trying to cut back on them.
    All this means is-- it may be "all in their heads" but I've seen a lot of people feel a lot better by cutting it out. As long as it does, and as long as they continue to eat a healthy diet otherwise, going gluten free is not a horrible thing.
  • als13071
    Options

Farking self-signed is shenanigans ...

maybe you should educate yourself on digestive issues. Or just educate yourself in general or move on. Im not into the childish drama of people who do not know me... so unless you have an issue or need help with this then move on and post your childishness to the next persons post.

Thank you for your very clear ignorance being present this morning... it is ever so appreciated and have a good day. :-)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's possible

You have the family background, you should have been tested

But if you are experiencing significant health gains by removing a foodstuff from your diet that's great for you

It does not constitute advice for anyone else as you have a specific condition and 90% of the people who take up gluten free are misguided in their reasoning ...it is not healthier unless you have a condition that makes it so
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    If you've been to the doctor so frequently over the past year, I'm wondering why you were never tested.

Anyway, I'm glad you found something that works for you. Best of luck.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Mary, in regards to your friends, it is likely to be something else like the pesticide used on the wheat that is aggravating them.

For the friends with digestive issues, does she have IBS? It might be the fructans in wheat, not the gluten.
  • als13071
    Options
    You
    As someone with long-ago diagnosed celiac disease, I also really dislike woo-filled claims like this for the same reasons elphie dislikes them. The celiac community has fought for recognition and accommodation for years and it's being undermined by self-diagnosing faddists.

Also OP? You lost weight because you ate at a calorie deficit. Giving up gluten had nothing to do with it.

Ha
  • magzi11
    magzi11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can't eat gluten and haven't been able to for over 30 years (before it became fashionable), so it is real for some of us (my sister was diagnosed with celiac disease, I never bothered getting tested). I don't really use the gluten free products that have sprung up recently, they tend to be full of sugar! You can though have a healthy diet without it. I am really ill within half an hour of eating gluten and yes, even a thickening in gravy can set it off!
    So, if something makes you feel ill...don't eat it is my advice!
  • zenaxe
    zenaxe Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that when someone posts about being gluten free, be it by choice prompted by a medical condition and sensitivity, or just simply wanting to eliminate gluten from their diets but without any medical basis; that people have to chime in with bizarre comments showing they are the patron saints of defending gluten ie gluten is not the devil, don't buy into the hype etc. If someone decides to reduce or eliminate sugar, alcohol, caffeine, hydrogenated oil, high fructose corn syrup or whatever else is out there, who runs around defending those? No one, but for some reason people seem to have a need to pipe up with dissenting voices and commentaries whenever anyone claims to feel better after eliminating gluten. People have real medical issues with gluten and others just don't want to eat it. So what's the real issue for people resisting this? Just my 0.2 cents worth...
  • SergeantSausage
    Options
    als13071 wrote: »

Farking self-signed is shenanigans ...

maybe you should educate yourself on digestive issues. Or just educate yourself in general or move on. Im not into the childish drama of people who do not know me... so unless you have an issue or need help with this then move on and post your childishness to the next persons post.

Thank you for your very clear ignorance being present this morning... it is ever so appreciated and have a good day. :-)

I'm fully educated on the subject, thank you very much.

What I don't do is go around spouting that I have a medical condition without a ... y'know ... what do they call those? Oh yeah an Actual Medical Diagnosis from a trained, Board Certified, Bona Fide Medical Professional.

Gluten Sensitivity is real.

Your having it without one of the above is fantasy.

• als13071
    Options
    As someone with long-ago diagnosed celiacmini disease, I also really dislike woo-filled claims like this for the same reasons elphie dislikes them. The celiac community has fought for recognition and accommodation for years and it's being undermined by self-diagnosing faddists.

Also OP? You lost weight because you ate at a calorie deficit. Giving up gluten had nothing to do with it

So.. as i see my title might be whats sparking your peoples issues but the medical issues are whats related to gluten... fyi. Not weight loss weight loss is dietary changes in general. Food allergies to most likely wheat and also lactose caused severe bloating and the inabikity to absorb very necessary vitamins causing me to be swollen and severely deficient in almost everything i needed in my body. I am not here to change people to be gluten free but there are many people in the world who may have an ibtollerance which people with celiac disease may fiND to be "insulting" in there world of having been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease but as with ALL food people can be intollerant aS Well. It doesny take an autoimmune disorder for food to make someone ill.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Unfortunately, You cant test for celiac or intollerance when you havent eatten gluten in 2 months. In addition i have been to the doctors probably 3x a month for a year. Also, i dont substitute gluten free products for bread and so on... i do noy eat pastas, breads, ect... i pretty much eat meat, fruit, and veggies.

That's why you lost weight. Eliminating starchy carbs and replacing them with vegetables will significantly reduce caloric intake.

Also, you can test if you have a family history. Find a GI doctor who does genetic testing. If there's a family history, you can at least be tested for the gene. It won't confirm a diagnosis since you can carry a gene without the disease manifesting, but it will confirm that you carry it.

I too wonder why you weren't tested in all the time you were suffering, especially with your family history. My son started having digestive issues and celiac is the first thing they looked for based on my history.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

uh, how do you know it's "in her head" exactly? a medical diagnosis doesn't magically make it real. she could very well have it.

so much ridiculous nastiness in this thread.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I disagree. While a medical diagnosis would be nice, it is not essential. If one feels better not eating gluten, especially if there is a familial history of celiac, I will not scoff. The medical consequences of eating gluten for someone with celiac are far too dire to chance.