Ladies running without a shirt?

Options
123457»

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    You know, I hope I never see the day when breasts aren't sexy. I don't want some utilitarian lumps on my chest. I like having a nice rack.

i also have a fabulous rack too, but the point is about humans being able to provide context to the things they see. we are smart enough to differentiate appropriate time and place for sexualization of someone's body.

if it's hot outside and i'm running and i decide to take my top off to run in just my sports bra, someone who isnt a moron should be able to deduce that i'm doing it to stay cool - same as the shirtless guy who's also running - rather than just trying to show off goodies

we seem to be basing our ideas of should and should not on the small group of morons. maybe if we raise the bar on the expectations of behavior then those behaviors will change.
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    ^ the main reason why it's tempting because we teach them to sexualize women's bodies.

and we perpetrate that sexualization by imposing double standards about men's and women's bodies as well as having requirements about needing to be a certain level of attractive before a woman can take off her shirt in public.

i think people forget that society isnt some nebulous bubble that exists outside of them. we are apart of it and contribute to its opinions.

so basically the reason why your teenage boys are going to be tempted by women's boobs is because you are helping teach the that they should be.

We teach them to sexualize women's bodies? This is way off topic here, but I'm pretty sure men are naturally sexually attracted to women's bodies. It's how procreation works. We don't have to teach then that, what we need to teach is respect. Both for our young men to have respect for women by not only treating them as sexual beings, as well as for young women to be respectful enough to not try tempt men with something they can't have.

Anyway back on topic. In my opinion a sports bra and shorts are not overly sexual or inappropriate and you should wear what you feel comfortable in.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    If it fits, go for it! The only inappropriate way to wear a sports bra is if it doesn't cover everything, right? Guys run without shirts all the time! As long as you're comfortable, you shouldn't have to worry about the people around you over-sexualizing a piece of clothing.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'd say go for it - most sports bras cover much more than a bikini top these day. As long as you are comfortable and in a safe area go ahead and hats off to you.

If you are a little unsure look into buying a very lightweight running shirt - mine are so light weight you barely know its there.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    You know, I hope I never see the day when breasts aren't sexy. I don't want some utilitarian lumps on my chest. I like having a nice rack.

i also have a fabulous rack too, but the point is about humans being able to provide context to the things they see. we are smart enough to differentiate appropriate time and place for sexualization of someone's body.

if it's hot outside and i'm running and i decide to take my top off to run in just my sports bra, someone who isnt a moron should be able to deduce that i'm doing it to stay cool - same as the shirtless guy who's also running - rather than just trying to show off goodies

we seem to be basing our ideas of should and should not on the small group of morons. maybe if we raise the bar on the expectations of behavior then those behaviors will change.

I thought you were advocating being totally topless. I think that's gross, but to each his/her own.
  • pjwarre
    pjwarre Posts: 15
    Options
    I have no problem with it, men do it why can't woman? I personally wouldn't do it but I don't have the body for it (yet ;D) but if your proud and its freakin hot out by all means! Its more cover then a bathing suit!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    ^ the main reason why it's tempting because we teach them to sexualize women's bodies.

and we perpetrate that sexualization by imposing double standards about men's and women's bodies as well as having requirements about needing to be a certain level of attractive before a woman can take off her shirt in public.

i think people forget that society isnt some nebulous bubble that exists outside of them. we are apart of it and contribute to its opinions.

so basically the reason why your teenage boys are going to be tempted by women's boobs is because you are helping teach the that they should be.

We teach them to sexualize women's bodies? This is way off topic here, but I'm pretty sure men are naturally sexually attracted to women's bodies. It's how procreation works. We don't have to teach then that, what we need to teach is respect. Both for our young men to have respect for women by not only treating them as sexual beings, as well as for young women to be respectful enough to not try tempt men with something they can't have.

Anyway back on topic. In my opinion a sports bra and shorts are not overly sexual or inappropriate and you should wear what you feel comfortable in.
    over-sexualizing women's bodies on a societal level is not the same thing as finding them attractive (or even sexually attractive). Men aren't sexualized by society in the same way that women are, yet women make up half the population and the majority of women are attracted to men.

Also, covering up your body is not an issue of respecting men, but teaching men to treat a woman decently regardless of how much of her body he can see IS an issue of teaching men to respect women. They're not comparale at all.
  • cobes24
    cobes24 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm a fat runner, so a bra top is not in the cards for me, but someday I will be a thin runner and I will rock that sports bra!

I gripe about it in my head when I see a sports bra-d runner go by, but honestly, it's because I'm jealous. So it's not "Why is she wearing that?" it's "DANG I can't wait till I can wear that!"

Do your thang, girl.