Do you still see a fat person in the mirror?

Options
123457»

Replies

• elansc
    elansc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. Then I remember a weird experience... I came around a corner in a restaurant. There was a decorative mirror on the wall but I was distracted and my brain didn't process for a second I was looking in a mirror. My first thought was, "That skinny *kitten* has jeans just like mine..." then..."What? I AM that skinny *kitten*."

OMG this is so priceless!!! Here's to all the new skinny *kitten*!!
  • bkidd97
    Options
    All the time. I know that I'm at a super healthy weight, but I feel like I need to lose more. What I've already done is never good enough for me. People tell me that I'm skinny but I still see the fat little girl in the mirror.
  • monochrome_girl
    monochrome_girl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure if reading all the messages form people going through this too is more comforting or worrying.

I have read resounding successes from all of you - I've shed a third of my bodyweight too and yet.... yup as above i haven't 'got there' mentally.
    -
    - I wonder if that self realisation ever really comes?

Hats off to all of you who have done such a remarkable job in getting to a healthy weight.

The happy feeling of having reached the goal obviously needs working on for some of us x
    I'm going to try the photos thing -
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure if reading all the messages form people going through this too is more comforting or worrying.

I found it comforting. When you hit the healthy weight zone, as many,many,many, many of us on MFP have and will, there are challenges to adjusting to your new world beyond exercise, sleep, and eating healthy. Many of us start out thinking (us girls) that if we hit X weight we can wear anything. As we get healthy, wearing flattering clothes is a whole new adventure. For example, I can't wear those cute cropped pants. Not flattering in the least. But I look great in dresses. Hearing "you are too skinny" on a day when you feel great is just a new thing to get used to. Learning what my "maintenance range" is versus "goal weight" is another. Identifying with that new body in the mirror- one look at a time! It is comforting to know others are going thru the same thing, and as more of us learn how to stay healthy and up our fitness level, we can turn here to know we are not alone, and get or give some pointers!
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have not read through all the posts on here but I would like to make a comment which might explain why you see yourself as fat in the mirror despite you knowing that you are not. If you are on maintenance, you do not appear to be eating enough at c1500 calories. If you do not eat enough, the chemistry in your head can alter and that can lead to 'anorexic type' thoughts. Now I am NOT saying you are anorexic or have an eating disorder. However, some years back I was ill and for a prolonged period I was only eating about the amount you are and I realised one day I was "enjoying" being hungry. As soon as my calorie increased back to a normal level I stopped thinking that way. It is the same with how you perceive yourself when you look in the mirror.
  • devilinsoul
    devilinsoul Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    yup, i know this feeling :D went from EU size 42 (which is considered plus size) to currently EU 36, but somehow I still see myself as the plus size girl... but then I'm thinking like I must have changed a lot when I'm wearing size S clothes...:)
  • Donie212
    Options
    Yes. I always have and most likely always will in some way.
  • mzavilla
    mzavilla Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can so relate - I still don't see a thin person in the mirror. I really struggle with this since I lost almost 70 pounds about a yr ago and have been maintaining for 6 months. I also never really saw a fat person in the mirror either! I totally have a distorted view of myself. I think part of my problem is that I am unhappy with the havoc the extra weight reeked on my body - excess skin and now no boobs!
  • lizfiz50
    lizfiz50 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I still go to the plus size section and grab the same old size before realizing that that a 1x doesn't fit anymore.
  • fitbit8
    fitbit8 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I still see a tall skinny guy...we all have some sort of issue I guess but it's what motivates us no?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. Then I remember a weird experience... I came around a corner in a restaurant. There was a decorative mirror on the wall but I was distracted and my brain didn't process for a second I was looking in a mirror. My first thought was, "That skinny *kitten* has jeans just like mine..." then..."What? I AM that skinny *kitten*."

Very strange for me was seeing someone much bigger than me in a pair of jeans that I also own, and realizing that I am NOWHERE near the biggest size anymore...and that I am downright skinny compared to some people.

It's also strange and shocking to go to something like a Zumba Master Class (presumably fairly fit people) and to see that I am probably in the skinniest 1/3 in terms of the group.