Anyone go to Planet Fitness?

Options
I have a membership at PF, but they are limited on equipment (cheap price tag, so I'm not complaining). What's your routine when you work out there? I'd be going solo, I usually just run on the treadmill, but I want to branch out from there.

Replies

• Frequently_Fabulous
    Frequently_Fabulous Posts: 132 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    For what it's worth (I just started branching out from cardio myself) I have four workouts- long run, arm day, short run, leg day, rest day. I have a weight lifting card that I write down the machine and number of reps that I do. I got it from the PF front desk- it's yellow (I guess they use it for orientation, but I find it works well for my needs too).

Long run days are two longer chunks of runs. Short run days are 3-4 faster paced, shorter runs (no real mystery there).

For arm days, I literally started at the first arm machine in the row and went down the line. I do 3 sets of 8-10 reps per machine w 25-30 seconds of rest between sets. Then I head over to the graviton machine where you kneel on the platform and attempt pull ups. And then use 3 of the ab machines. Overall, it takes me about 50-60 minutes to do this.

For leg days, I start at the first leg machine in the row and go down that line. Then I use the leg machines that are usually in another section (like hip abductors and hip adducts where you try to crush things between your thighs, haha). I finish w 3 of the ab machines (again. Ugh. Abs. Right?) Again, it takes me about 50-60 minutes to do this.

You could also try the 30 minute workouts, but I'm not familiar w those! Please share what you end up doing! I'm curious how other people work out!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing both cardio and some strength on the same days, though I'm considering switching to more dedicated days.

Typically I will do 30 minutes cardio of choice on a weekday, 45-60 on a weekend (especially if there is a good football game on). If its a leg day, I only do treadmills. Arc, elliptical and bikes seem to work my legs more and I don't feel at full strength to take on the weights.

After cardio, I head to machine weights. I have an arm/shoulders day, chest/back day, leg day. I add abs in most days. I don't work them very hard, and they recover more quickly. I do these mostly on machines and cable towers.

Like I said, I'm considering switching soon to have more dedicated and separate cardio/weight days. I just have to let go of my reliance on the added exercise calories I get from cardio. I have a hard time staying in my calorie allotment on days without cardio, so its been tough to convince myself to take a break, lol.

I'd also like to move to doing more with the free weights/bars. I have a secret crush on all the women in my PF who use them. They are very inspiring, and have amazing and strong bodies.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    PF is good for beginners, but as your advanced in lifting they are kind of limited..i.e. no squatting or deadlifting...plus how the whole "judgment free zone" is BS...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of PF, what's it like there?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

not sure if serious....
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    ;):p
  • ndj1979
    Options

oh its a magical place where they give you pizza and tootsie rolls; it is a judgment free zone so no meatheads pumping iron and moaning all over the place; oh, and no squats and deadlifts, because you wants to have real gains..????
  • Badger_Girl99
    Badger_Girl99 Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

oh its a magical place where they give you pizza and tootsie rolls; it is a judgment free zone so no meatheads pumping iron and moaning all over the place; oh, and no squats and deadlifts, because you wants to have real gains..????

Tootsie rolls? Pizza? I'm in!
  • daynes23
    daynes23 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love my planet fitness. I go in, do what I need to and get out. Nothing more, nothing less.

I usually go about 4-5 times a week. On my strength training days I'll do about 30 mins of cardio and then machines to fill out another 30ish mins. I go for shoulders and back, arms, and legs. I will squeeze in core exercises throughout the days as well. Then I usually go another day or two just for cardio and maybe some core (about 90 mins total).

I've never eaten the pizza but have succumbed to a few tootsie rolls when I feel my blood sugar drop after a long workout with not a lot of fuel. I always make sure to log them!

To each his own though.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Some of the PF policies are foolish, such as the all-you-cat-eat free pizza deals. Mercifully, they're only offered once a month, but it's still a poor policy that sends the wrong message to its clientele.

I always urge people to find a better place if they can afford it. If you do belong there though, you may as well make the best of it. Show resolve, avoid the fattening foods that they offer, work hard, and recognize which of their policies (e.g. no deadlifting, no grunting, no barbell squats) will only hinder your progress.

Oh, and I wouldn't put much stock in their "relaxation zone." Relaxation has its place, of course, but lying in a tanning bed will do diddly squat for one's fitness. As for the massage chairs, they can be pleasurable, but they won't do much for improving one's fitness level. As a professional massage therapist told me, they're better than just sitting on one's sofa, but only marginally so.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I do.

I do a routine... Arm and back day, chest day, and leg day. Core on the off days, cardio everyday.

Is pf limited in the weight department? Yes. But since I don't have a spotter anyway, I'd be uncomfortable trying to do much free weights anyway.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    There's some wisdom to that, Doug. Caution is always good.

Of course, a spotter applies mostly to exercises such as the barbell bench press. If using dumbbells for overhead presses, one shouldn't really need a spotter. One wouldn't need one for dumbbell bench presses either, as long as clients were allowed to drop the weights if they can't quite complete a rep. (Any decent gym should have a rubberized floor that can absorb the impact.)

On a related note, this is why I wish that PF would provide cable machines for people who don't use the free weights. These machines are versatile and they engage the all-critical stabilizer muscles. Unfortunately, PR typically provides the less useful machines-- the kind that make exercise easier by forcing the user to move in a very specific arc. These machines appear less (ahem) intimidating, but most users don't realize how much they can hinder one's progress.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I do.

I do a routine... Arm and back day, chest day, and leg day. Core on the off days, cardio everyday.

Is pf limited in the weight department? Yes. But since I don't have a spotter anyway, I'd be uncomfortable trying to do much free weights anyway.
    Powercage.

I find a power cage is safer than a spotter in most instances.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it depends on what's available at the one you go to.
    Since they're independently owned, they vary so much. Even with the individual franchise.

Now, we don't need the location on the one you're going to but a brief inventory.

Do they have:
    weight stack machines?
    cable machines?
    squat rack? (yes some of them have it - heard of one in NJ and CT)
    bench stations?
    dumbbells?
    fixed weight bars?

Ideally, a barbell is the best bet. But dumbbells and the cable machines are a good second.
    You can use the NerdFitness Beginner Bodyweight routine with dumbbells if you'd like. It's pretty simple and well rounded. It's perfect if you've got access to dumbbells.
  • dbmata
    Options

not sure if serious....
    Idea, if PF is a franchise, we should get one.

Make it normal during the day, but it becomes an "afterhours" meathead gym come 9pm. Front door gets locked, a keyfob entry in the back becomes active.

Dropping weights is normal. Yelling is required.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I do.

you don't need a spotter to lift if you are just doing a progressive overload program ..

if you are going for PR"s then yes, you will need one..

I never have a spotter and have not had any issues...
  • ndj1979
    Options

not sure if serious....

Make it normal during the day, but it becomes an "afterhours" meathead gym come 9pm. Front door gets locked, a keyfob entry in the back becomes active.

IN!
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options

lol I imagined you saying this aloud in a really super-enthusiastic voice
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

not sure if serious....

Yassss!!!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ^but still+the pizza right?