Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Pupslice wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    I've never heard of PF, what's it like there?

oh its a magical place where they give you pizza and tootsie rolls; it is a judgment free zone so no meatheads pumping iron and moaning all over the place; oh, and no squats and deadlifts, because you wants to have real gains..????

lol I imagined you saying this aloud in a really super-enthusiastic voice

in my mind I was saying it with an Irish dialect. ..lol
  • ndj1979
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    Honestly, it depends on what's available at the one you go to.
    Since they're independently owned, they vary so much. Even with the individual franchise.

Now, we don't need the location on the one you're going to but a brief inventory.

Do they have:
    weight stack machines?
    cable machines?
    squat rack? (yes some of them have it - heard of one in NJ and CT)
    bench stations?
    dumbbells?
    fixed weight bars?

Ideally, a barbell is the best bet. But dumbbells and the cable machines are a good second.
    You can use the NerdFitness Beginner Bodyweight routine with dumbbells if you'd like. It's pretty simple and well rounded. It's perfect if you've got access to dumbbells.

I think it is hilarious that the bolded part reads like a legend..."Bro, I got lost in NJ and found a PF with a squat rack!!! It was epic!!" ....

LOL sorry could not resist :)
  • craftyj3
    craftyj3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like Planet Fitness. I met with the PE and he set me up on a routine for the lifting. My routine is cardio everyday and lifting every other. I only have about an hour in the morning but I manage to get everything done. Weekends are different and I usually do longer cardio workouts. The PF I go to is staffed 24 hours which is great for me. I'm somewhat of a morning person so I get up early and start my day with a good workout.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Since they're independently owned, they vary so much. Even with the individual franchise.

Now, we don't need the location on the one you're going to but a brief inventory.

Do they have:
    weight stack machines?
    cable machines?
    bench stations?
    dumbbells?
    fixed weight bars?

Ideally, a barbell is the best bet. But dumbbells and the cable machines are a good second.
    You can use the NerdFitness Beginner Bodyweight routine with dumbbells if you'd like. It's pretty simple and well rounded. It's perfect if you've got access to dumbbells.

I think it is hilarious that the bolded part reads like a legend..."Bro, I got lost in NJ and found a PF with a squat rack!!! It was epic!!" ....

*rolls eyes jokingly* oy vey lol

I haven't seen one - but when I went to one regularly I wasn't looking for it...
    I've got a membership now to one to use the treadmills on crappy weather days.
    On my tour the kid told me that they don't have "Wesson machines", I just stared at him for a few seconds. I replied with "You mean a Smith machine?" "Oh yeah! That! I don't where I got Wesson from" "uh, the gun company, Smith & Wesson?"

I don't think he works there anymore...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    ^but still+the pizza right?

Yeah, for the norms.

There will be a kitchen for the meatheads, I'll make stew. Like a bunch of icelanders.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My PF is huge and not limited on anything. It has multiple places for squats, dead lifts, whatever you need. An entire wall of free weights...etc. I have seen other PFs and they are pretty small in comparision to mine. I go on average six-five days a week. Start with cardio then move into lifting. Two-three days a week I will do 30 minutes of circut training. Then days of nothing but free weight training. On weekends I will do straight cardio.

Ours is staffed 24 hours too.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Do they have:
    weight stack machines?
    cable machines?
    bench stations?
    dumbbells?
    fixed weight bars?

I haven't seen one - but when I went to one regularly I wasn't looking for it...
    On my tour the kid told me that they don't have "Wesson machines", I just stared at him for a few seconds. I replied with "You mean a Smith machine?" "Oh yeah! That! I don't where I got Wesson from" "uh, the gun company, Smith & Wesson?"

LOL

Nothing inherently wrong with PF ..it is cheap 10.00 a month, and you can go to anyone if you are member at one....I just hate the judgment free zone stuff, lunk arm, no heavy lifting....but I get why people would go there...
  • dbmata
    Options
    ... I want a smith and wesson machine...
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

Do they have:
    weight stack machines?
    cable machines?
    bench stations?
    dumbbells?
    fixed weight bars?

LOL

Nothing inherently wrong with PF ..it is cheap 10.00 a month, and you can go to anyone if you are member at one....I just hate the judgment free zone stuff, lunk arm, no heavy lifting....but I get why people would go there...

It is frustrating.
    What I find more frustrating though is the inconsistency within the individual franchises!
    I get that the one in Manchester NH isn't going to match Portland ME or New Haven CT.
    But the owner on the New Haven CT one owns 4 others. All completely different. I get that space limits you but you would think that the 5 would have the same base equipment and expand up as square footage allows.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I went to one in when I lived in Alabama and I loved it. My favorite thing (besides the price!) about it was probably the fact that I even during peak gym hours there was PLENTY of (NEW!!) equipment for everybody...whether it was weights, machines or cardio equipment. I also liked that they had a designated circuit area so people doing circuits weren't hogging 5 machines in the main area at once during peak hours. There were always people lifting weights and that particular PF even had a squat rack. I never heard the "lunk alarm" go off once. They're building one close to where I work now and I definitely plan on joining when it opens.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Do they have:
    weight stack machines?
    cable machines?
    bench stations?
    dumbbells?
    fixed weight bars?

LOL

It is frustrating.
    What I find more frustrating though is the inconsistency within the individual franchises!
    I get that the one in Manchester NH isn't going to match Portland ME or New Haven CT.
    But the owner on the New Haven CT one owns 4 others. All completely different. I get that space limits you but you would think that the 5 would have the same base equipment and expand up as square footage allows.

yea, that ticks me off about anytime fitness too ..

I have been in some that have like ten squat racks, power racks, all kinds of area..and then I go to another and there is like a rack of dumbbells and a bunch of cardio machines..

thankfully, my main one is pretty good...
  • waxflower
    Options
    Thank you @down_w_the_man‌ @brightsideofpink‌ @daynes23‌ @dougpconnell219‌ and @603reader‌ for your suggestions/sharing your routines. I'll keep them in mind when I go to try and get a routine going for myself. :smile:

As for equipment at my PF:
    Mine has everything @603reader‌ listed, an area for cardio (bike, elliptical, and treadmill only), medicine balls, a hanging Bosu Ball sort of thing (definitely don't know the name for this, sorry), and various weight machines. It's a very tiny space, though, haha.

As for PF pizza and tootsie rolls - definitely not something I participate in. I understand the thought behind it but it's probably a little ill-advised. I'm not too crazy about their Lunk Alarm, either...mine does go off often enough and it's incredibly distracting. That being said, my PF is really clean and well-staffed, and as with other gyms everybody leaves you be. Plus it's dirt cheap, so there's that. :stuck_out_tongue:
  • 215to150
    Options
    I am new to planet fitness. So far I am loving it. Its also nice to use the message chairs/tanning bed as a reward after a hard workout. Good luck everyone!!
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    waxflower wrote: »
    Thank you @down_w_the_man‌ @brightsideofpink‌ @daynes23‌ @dougpconnell219‌ and @603reader‌ for your suggestions/sharing your routines. I'll keep them in mind when I go to try and get a routine going for myself. :smile:

As for equipment at my PF:
    Mine has everything @603reader‌ listed, an area for cardio (bike, elliptical, and treadmill only), medicine balls, a hanging Bosu Ball sort of thing (definitely don't know the name for this, sorry), and various weight machines. It's a very tiny space, though, haha.

As for PF pizza and tootsie rolls - definitely not something I participate in. I understand the thought behind it but it's probably a little ill-advised. I'm not too crazy about their Lunk Alarm, either...mine does go off often enough and it's incredibly distracting. That being said, my PF is really clean and well-staffed, and as with other gyms everybody leaves you be. Plus it's dirt cheap, so there's that. :stuck_out_tongue:

I want to visit. I've never heard the alarm!

So if you have a squat rack and cool desk people (or a hidden weight area), I suggest Stronglifts or New Rules of Lifting.
    The PF I went to when I started lifting, let me deadlift but some don't. So keep that in mind
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I guess I should get ready for some crazy criticism here. I love planet fitness. The staff is way friendly, the equipment is great! I love their strength training equipment and I love the hydromassage beds. After saying all that, I disagree about the judgment free thing because they are passing judgment on the "lunk." However, I am thankful that I do not have to be intimidated out of doing strength training because all the beefcakes have all the equipment sowed up. So take it for what its worth but I am thouroughly injoing my membership. (and I dont give a crap about the pizza, I am strong enough to walk right by it)
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    20-25 elliptical
    10 mins arc trainer
    20-30 on the weights
    20 mins treadmill
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    waxflower wrote: »

I'm not too crazy about their Lunk Alarm, either...mine does go off often enough and it's incredibly distracting. That being said, my PF is really clean and well-staffed, and as with other gyms everybody leaves you be. Plus it's dirt cheap, so there's that. :stuck_out_tongue:

I always thought the lunk alarm was just a publicity stunt, something to get others riled up. I didn't know it was a real thing! Ha. I want to visit and hear it too.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    My PF is huge and not limited on anything. It has multiple places for squats, dead lifts, whatever you need. An entire wall of free weights...etc. I have seen other PFs and they are pretty small in comparision to mine. I go on average six-five days a week. Start with cardio then move into lifting. Two-three days a week I will do 30 minutes of circut training. Then days of nothing but free weight training. On weekends I will do straight cardio.

Ours is staffed 24 hours too.

Just like the one I am going to. :)

• dbmata
    Options
    I really think, that if I was doing a long set of squats, or some hard bench, and that alarm went off. It would be extremely dangerous.
  • waxflower
    Options
    I want to visit. I've never heard the alarm!

So if you have a squat rack and cool desk people (or a hidden weight area), I suggest Stronglifts or New Rules of Lifting.
    The PF I went to when I started lifting, let me deadlift but some don't. So keep that in mind
    It kind of sounds like an ambulance alarm that just lasts for a moment - it's annoying, haha.

Ok, I'll look into those suggestions.