Anyone go to Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• oearl20
    oearl20 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I attend Planet Fitness. It is convenient and affordable. Love that its right next to my house. Wish they had more things like a sauna but it works. I go and try to do 35-45 mins of cardio then weights. I am about to start working on the 30 minute circuit again cause it is good for cardio and strength training. But you are limited on how many times you use it to prevent injury. The staff at PF it awesome and I love that they have free trainers. Awesome way to motivate =).
  • waxflower
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I really think, that if I was doing a long set of squats, or some hard bench, and that alarm went off. It would be extremely dangerous.

It is! At least to me, I'm definitely prone to jumping a bit when something scares me and that thing is loud. I almost dropped a medicine ball on my face the last time it went off, haha.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    waxflower wrote: »
    I really think, that if I was doing a long set of squats, or some hard bench, and that alarm went off. It would be extremely dangerous.

It is! At least to me, I'm definitely prone to jumping a bit when something scares me and that thing is loud. I almost dropped a medicine ball on my face the last time it went off, haha.

I think management wouldn't like it if someone got hurt because of that alarm. Particularly when the lawyers smelled that kind of blood in the water.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    On numerous occasions, I've seen people say "I've never heard the lunk alarm go off at our location."

I don't think we should conclude much from this. First, this doesn't mean that the alarm isn't in use. It could just mean that the members have been conditioned to avoid pushing so hard that they set it off. Alternatively, it could mean that the alarm was disabled by the management at their discretion. Or perhaps it's just not used consistently.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of PF, what's it like there?

It as glorious wonderful place decorated with pizza and tootsie rolls. It even has a charming little siren that sounds on occasion just to remind you how wonderful it is.

And it's full of people genuinely trying to take their lives back. That matters. The business model and available snacks don't change that.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I like that, the siren of wonder! lol.

What would be interesting is to see the efficacy of places like Curves vs PF vs a meathead gym, like Golds.

How many members were active weekly, how many set goals, how many achieved goals, how many had an measurable positive progress, etc.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Every PF doesn't have the same equipment. You will need to see what your PF has.

At my PF, I use the free weights, barbells, some machines, and cables.

Here are a couple exercises I do (not listing them all):

For arms: Bicep curls (with dumbbells, barbells, and cables), overhead tricep extension (with dumbbells), preacher curls, cable hammer curls

For chest/shoulders: Cable crossover, chest flys, cable chest press, rear delt flys, rear delt rows

For legs: Lunges (with barbells and dumbbells), squats (with barbells)

For back: Lat pulldowns, bent over barbell row, one-arm dumbbell row

• waxflower
    Options
    @FatFreeFrolicking‌ Thanks for listing some exercises!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

oh its a magical place where they give you pizza and tootsie rolls; it is a judgment free zone so no meatheads pumping iron and moaning all over the place; oh, and no squats and deadlifts, because you wants to have real gains..????

You can squat. They just don't have squat racks.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    On a related note, this is why I wish that PF would provide cable machines for people who don't use the free weights. These machines are versatile and they engage the all-critical stabilizer muscles. Unfortunately, PR typically provides the less useful machines-- the kind that make exercise easier by forcing the user to move in a very specific arc. These machines appear less (ahem) intimidating, but most users don't realize how much they can hinder one's progress.

What PFs have you been to that don't have cable machines? I've belonged to one for going on 7 years and it has cable machines. When I travel, I use the PFs in the cities I travel to and they all have cable machines, too.

My PF also has free weights and barbells and heavy weights to put on said barbells. I haven't heard the lunk alarm in several years. They do have pizza and if I wasn't so skeeved out over germs, I would probably have some, but after seeing how few people wipe down machines when they are done using them, no thanks! So tonight I'm going home and the hubby and I are having pizza from our favorite pizza joint. Yum!

• waxflower
    Options

What would be interesting is to see the efficacy of places like Curves vs PF vs a meathead gym, like Golds.

How many members were active weekly, how many set goals, how many achieved goals, how many had an measurable positive progress, etc.

That would be interesting. I feel like overall, if someone is signed up for and planning to go to the gym, the type of gym matters less than their own determination. I'm going off my own feelings on that, of course, but I just know that whether I'm a member at a 'meathead' type gym or the 'everyman' type gym neither convinces me to go if I am only willing to put excuses forward.
  • dbmata
    Options
    waxflower wrote: »

That would be interesting. I feel like overall, if someone is signed up for and planning to go to the gym, the type of gym matters less than their own determination. I'm going off my own feelings on that, of course, but I just know that whether I'm a member at a 'meathead' type gym or the 'everyman' type gym neither convinces me to go if I am only willing to put excuses forward.

I think there are some confounding variables you might not be thinking about.

For example.
    $10 a month membership vs. $50, 60, 70, or even $100 a month.
    Based on that ALONE will significantly impact rate of use.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What PFs have you been to that don't have cable machines? I've belonged to one for going on 7 years and it has cable machines. When I travel, I use the PFs in the cities I travel to and they all have cable machines, too.

I don't go to PF, precisely because of its practices. I did tour one though, and I noted the lack of cable machines. From what I've read elsewhere, this is common.

It's good that your location has them, just as there are some locations that still have the old squat racks. As you said though, yours is an older location. The older PF franchises sometimes have the older equipment, including the squat racks in question.
    My PF also has free weights and barbells and heavy weights to put on said barbells. I haven't heard the lunk alarm in several years.
    From what I've read, a lot of PFs do have free weights, though the selection is limited. Again, the age of the facility tends to be relevant.

As for the lunk alarm... as I said elsewhere, the fact that you don't hear it doesn't mean much. It could be that people have been (unfortunately) conditioned to avoid setting it off. Or sometimes the management will turn a blind eye and avoid enforcing the anti-"lunk" rules. If so, this only means that the local management has a bit of sense. It doesn't make the PF philosophy any better.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

oh its a magical place where they give you pizza and tootsie rolls; it is a judgment free zone so no meatheads pumping iron and moaning all over the place; oh, and no squats and deadlifts, because you wants to have real gains..????

smith machine???
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

smith machine???

Think my brother has a squat rack in his PF... but he goes to PF... which is kind of embarrassing...

Nevermind. I don't have a brother...
  • dbmata
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »

smith machine???

Think my brother has a squat rack in his PF... but he goes to PF... which is kind of embarrassing...

Well said. ;)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »

smith machine???

disowned..eh?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Smartass.

It's a Pizzaria with free tootsie rolls.

(I don't have a Planet Fitness near me but I'm so aggravated with the critical mass of All-cardio-all-the-time gyms around here. It's either treadmills and zumba or Crossfit (and our local Crossfit people are of the cult-like variety) for us.

Thank goodness I have weights in my basement. I have to do lots of adaptations, but I have no excuse not to work out.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I thought PF was "Pizza Friends"
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

smith machine???

Not at the PF I go to!