Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    I've never heard of PF, what's it like there?

oh its a magical place where they give you pizza and tootsie rolls; it is a judgment free zone so no meatheads pumping iron and moaning all over the place; oh, and no squats and deadlifts, because you wants to have real gains..????

You can squat. They just don't have squat racks.

smith machine???

Not at the PF I go to!

well damn ..more power to you ..!

My comment was aimed at the overall philosophy ...

but it is good to hear that some local owners say screw that...
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

oh its a magical place where they give you pizza and tootsie rolls; it is a judgment free zone so no meatheads pumping iron and moaning all over the place; oh, and no squats and deadlifts, because you wants to have real gains..????

You can squat. They just don't have squat racks.

smith machine???

Not at the PF I go to!

well damn ..more power to you ..!

My comment was aimed at the overall philosophy ...

but it is good to hear that some local owners say screw that...

I don't usually do legs at PF anyways. I always do legs at the Y I go to or my schools gym because they do have racks, smith machine, and barbells that aren't pre-weighted lol.

I strictly go to PF because my personal trainer trains out of PF and because of the cable machines. No cables at my Y :(
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Reading this thread makes me crave free pizza, bagels and tootsie rolls
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    oearl20 wrote: »
    I attend Planet Fitness. It is convenient and affordable. Love that its right next to my house. Wish they had more things like a sauna but it works. I go and try to do 35-45 mins of cardio then weights. I am about to start working on the 30 minute circuit again cause it is good for cardio and strength training. But you are limited on how many times you use it to prevent injury. The staff at PF it awesome and I love that they have free trainers. Awesome way to motivate =).

Where the heck did you come up with this crazy idea? Did the "trainers" at PF tell you this? If so, that's another good reason not to go there. They clearly have no idea what they are talking about!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I attend Planet Fitness. It is convenient and affordable. Love that its right next to my house. Wish they had more things like a sauna but it works. I go and try to do 35-45 mins of cardio then weights. I am about to start working on the 30 minute circuit again cause it is good for cardio and strength training. But you are limited on how many times you use it to prevent injury. The staff at PF it awesome and I love that they have free trainers. Awesome way to motivate =).

Where the heck did you come up with this crazy idea? Did the "trainers" at PF tell you this? If so, that's another good reason not to go there. They clearly have no idea what they are talking about!

what is the "30 minute circuit"??
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

what is the "30 minute circuit"??

Its a bunch of weight stack machines in an order. There's 20 items in the circuit.
    So the light is green, perform X amount of reps (there's a sign telling you how many). Light turns red, you stop.
    There's a step and you do that for the next green light til it's red (like hoping over the step, etc).
    Then the next machine, repeat.

I've see lat pull down, leg press, leg extension, bench, bicep curl, tricep pushdown (idr the name), etc.
    The amount and order varies by location I think
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    Honestly, it depends on what's available at the one you go to.
    Since they're independently owned, they vary so much. Even with the individual franchise.

Now, we don't need the location on the one you're going to but a brief inventory.

Do they have:
    weight stack machines?
    cable machines?
    squat rack? (yes some of them have it - heard of one in NJ and CT)
    bench stations?
    dumbbells?
    fixed weight bars?

Ideally, a barbell is the best bet. But dumbbells and the cable machines are a good second.
    You can use the NerdFitness Beginner Bodyweight routine with dumbbells if you'd like. It's pretty simple and well rounded. It's perfect if you've got access to dumbbells.

I think it is hilarious that the bolded part reads like a legend..."Bro, I got lost in NJ and found a PF with a squat rack!!! It was epic!!" ....

LOL sorry could not resist :)

*rolls eyes jokingly* oy vey lol

I haven't seen one - but when I went to one regularly I wasn't looking for it...
    I've got a membership now to one to use the treadmills on crappy weather days.
    On my tour the kid told me that they don't have "Wesson machines", I just stared at him for a few seconds. I replied with "You mean a Smith machine?" "Oh yeah! That! I don't where I got Wesson from" "uh, the gun company, Smith & Wesson?"

I don't think he works there anymore...

LOL

Nothing inherently wrong with PF ..it is cheap 10.00 a month, and you can go to anyone if you are member at one....I just hate the judgment free zone stuff, lunk arm, no heavy lifting....but I get why people would go there...

Actually, you can only go to others if you are a black card member,which is $25. Of course, you also get the tanning, massage chair, and hydro massage.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    On a related note, this is why I wish that PF would provide cable machines for people who don't use the free weights. These machines are versatile and they engage the all-critical stabilizer muscles. Unfortunately, PR typically provides the less useful machines-- the kind that make exercise easier by forcing the user to move in a very specific arc. These machines appear less (ahem) intimidating, but most users don't realize how much they can hinder one's progress.

What PFs have you been to that don't have cable machines? I've belonged to one for going on 7 years and it has cable machines. When I travel, I use the PFs in the cities I travel to and they all have cable machines, too.

My PF also has free weights and barbells and heavy weights to put on said barbells. I haven't heard the lunk alarm in several years. They do have pizza and if I wasn't so skeeved out over germs, I would probably have some, but after seeing how few people wipe down machines when they are done using them, no thanks! So tonight I'm going home and the hubby and I are having pizza from our favorite pizza joint. Yum!

Raymond NH.
    No Smith machine. A very small cable machine.
    No fixed barbells. 2 bench, some dumbbells.
    It's the weirdest set up gym.
    http://www.planetfitness.com/gyms/raymond-nh-40

And the have the crappiest quality pics on their website
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it depends on what's available at the one you go to.
    Since they're independently owned, they vary so much. Even with the individual franchise.

Now, we don't need the location on the one you're going to but a brief inventory.

Do they have:
    weight stack machines?
    cable machines?
    squat rack? (yes some of them have it - heard of one in NJ and CT)
    bench stations?
    dumbbells?
    fixed weight bars?

Ideally, a barbell is the best bet. But dumbbells and the cable machines are a good second.
    You can use the NerdFitness Beginner Bodyweight routine with dumbbells if you'd like. It's pretty simple and well rounded. It's perfect if you've got access to dumbbells.

I think it is hilarious that the bolded part reads like a legend..."Bro, I got lost in NJ and found a PF with a squat rack!!! It was epic!!" ....

LOL sorry could not resist :)

*rolls eyes jokingly* oy vey lol

I haven't seen one - but when I went to one regularly I wasn't looking for it...
    I've got a membership now to one to use the treadmills on crappy weather days.
    On my tour the kid told me that they don't have "Wesson machines", I just stared at him for a few seconds. I replied with "You mean a Smith machine?" "Oh yeah! That! I don't where I got Wesson from" "uh, the gun company, Smith & Wesson?"

I don't think he works there anymore...

LOL

Nothing inherently wrong with PF ..it is cheap 10.00 a month, and you can go to anyone if you are member at one....I just hate the judgment free zone stuff, lunk arm, no heavy lifting....but I get why people would go there...

Actually, you can only go to others if you are a black card member,which is $25. Of course, you also get the tanning, massage chair, and hydro massage.

Around here the black card is $20 per month. And even with the white card ($10/month) you can work out at any of the other PFs, you just have to pay a $5 fee for each use. Still a whole lot better than anything I've seen in the hotels I've stayed in and cheaper than most other gyms.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

not sure if serious....
    Idea, if PF is a franchise, we should get one.

Make it normal during the day, but it becomes an "afterhours" meathead gym come 9pm. Front door gets locked, a keyfob entry in the back becomes active.

Dropping weights is normal. Yelling is required.

IN!

Bro - Splits are mandatory!

• bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I go to planet fitness just to run. There is actually another gym in the same building as my planet fitness that I also have a membership with and I go there for boot camp classes.
  • eepolitic
    Options
    From all the commercials and all the advertising that PF has done to make it clear that their environment is not well suited for those who wish to "lift heavy" and take part in all the grunting, I really can't understand why anyone would be so bothered by this. It's not as though there aren't tons of gyms out there that cater to that particular population. If building muscle is your top priority then maybe Planet Fitness isn't the place for you. Go somewhere else. I find it funny that so many that don't even go to PF focus on the free pizza and tootsie rolls.....
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You all forgot about the bagels on Tuesday mornings lol
  • ndj1979
    Options
    eepolitic wrote: »
    From all the commercials and all the advertising that PF has done to make it clear that their environment is not well suited for those who wish to "lift heavy" and take part in all the grunting, I really can't understand why anyone would be so bothered by this. It's not as though there aren't tons of gyms out there that cater to that particular population. If building muscle is your top priority then maybe Planet Fitness isn't the place for you. Go somewhere else. I find it funny that so many that don't even go to PF focus on the free pizza and tootsie rolls.....

so anyone that lifts heavy is grunt heaving simpleton????

I find it funny that it is a "judgment free zone" but then they judge people that like to lift heavy things…interesting….isn't it…hypocritical, you might say...
  • Lumpy52403
    Lumpy52403 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think it would be fun to visit Planet Fitness just to get kicked out.
  • Pattie74
    Pattie74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 lbs. going to Planet Fitness. Truth is, you do what you want to do. Some may think that they aren't a 'serious' gym or workout environment, but if you want to make it work for you, you will. I don't indulge in the pizza or the bagels and work hard. Do with it what you will...just like anything else.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    eepolitic wrote: »

There AREN'T a lot of free weight gyms near me. Every gym in my area seems to be all about their cardio machines and their "circuit" of muscle isolation machines. Some are even cardio only. Heck, I wish I could buy a pass and just use the HS weight room, that's all I want. My poor kids would be mortified, though.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I only heard of Planet Fitness the other day, on here, when someone mentioned they were coming to Canada, so I looked them up. Apparently they're here, in my city, but it's a big city and I don't drive, so even at $10 a month compared to upwards of $100 for most gyms here, the hour and a half transit trip (45 minutes each way) just isn't convenient enough for me, so I will continue to workout at home. I'd love to find a gym I could walk to that wouldn't cost me an arm and leg. If they had classes at that price I'd go out of my way for sure, but I have a stationary bike, jump rope and weights at home so I'd probably only really make use of their treadmill.

To the Americans who seem to be much more familiar with this gym, does it offer classes, maybe at an additional cost, and I'm just missing the information on their website?

I read about the free pizza and bagels. That's weird to me.

What's a lunk alarm?
  • frackiewicz1
    frackiewicz1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I joined PF in November. $99 for the whole year, couldn't beat that. My location has a ton of cardio, plus the machines, cables, barbels, etc. I guess you can do squats because I see people doing them all the time.

I haven't seen a ton of the huge bodybuilding types running around, but I have seen a good variety of body types - lots of people who are obviously trying to lose weight and get fit, but also some who are in pretty good shape and looking to stay that way/add some muscle.

I must be there at the wrong time, because I've never run across the free pizza or bagels. I do grab a free tootsie roll from time to time. Never heard the lunk alarm go off either.

What I love is that the place is SPOTLESS. They are always cleaning the place and I've never seen anything out of place. I also haven't ever seen a piece of equipment that is out of order. I used to belong to a gym that charged $55/month and there were always a few machines out of order and they had nowhere near the number of Cybex machines that PF has.

It works if you use it - for someone wanting to do serious lifting, there are places you can go. But for the "average Joe" type just wanting to get in shape, it's a pretty good deal. When I joined, I figured that even if I didn't use it at all during my breaks (I'm a teacher, so I have a lot of time off - the gym is on my way home, but a 20 mile drive if I were to make a special trip there) I would still be OK with the cost. And if another gym closer opened up, it wouldn't bother me at all to have spent the $99 for the year.