Anyone go to Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    jenjay8045 wrote: »
    They have more than cardio equipment. Your best bet it to utilize the free trainer there. They will write you a program and then after six weeks or so they will switch it up for you. They will go over your goals with you.
    Utilize the free weights!

This^^^^^^

I wonder what kind of training their trainers have?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    jenjay8045 wrote: »
    They have more than cardio equipment. Your best bet it to utilize the free trainer there. They will write you a program and then after six weeks or so they will switch it up for you. They will go over your goals with you.
    Utilize the free weights!

This^^^^^^

I wonder what kind of training their trainers have?

This^^^^^^
  • Nuccia2012
    Nuccia2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I think it is hilarious that the bolded part reads like a legend..."Bro, I got lost in NJ and found a PF with a squat rack!!! It was epic!!" ....

LOL sorry could not resist :)

That is like, my dream. Let's get that on a tee shirt. :) Thanks for a good laugh!
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't be trying to build strength? That particular trainer didn't know diddly squat about fitness. This does not surprise me, though.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    eepolitic wrote: »
    From all the commercials and all the advertising that PF has done to make it clear that their environment is not well suited for those who wish to "lift heavy" and take part in all the grunting, I really can't understand why anyone would be so bothered by this. It's not as though there aren't tons of gyms out there that cater to that particular population. If building muscle is your top priority then maybe Planet Fitness isn't the place for you. Go somewhere else. I find it funny that so many that don't even go to PF focus on the free pizza and tootsie rolls.....
    As we've been saying all along, our objection is not just "This gym doesn't fit my needs!"

Rather, most of us have principled objections to the place. Personally, I disapprove of businesses that spread falsehoods, foster fears that are mostly imaginary, needlessly hinder their customers, and paint ridiculous caricatures of their competition. I do understand that some people don't feel that such things are wrong, though.

It certainly doesn't help that Planet Fitness tends to take business away from more legitimate gyms. See http://www.ourmidland.com/news/article_35bc3cc6-2678-575a-a02a-f24555d1604b.html. It's unfair that these businesses have to suffer because PF insists on telling the public that they are filled with brutish lunks and should be feared.
  • dbmata
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    From all the commercials and all the advertising that PF has done to make it clear that their environment is not well suited for those who wish to "lift heavy" and take part in all the grunting, I really can't understand why anyone would be so bothered by this. It's not as though there aren't tons of gyms out there that cater to that particular population. If building muscle is your top priority then maybe Planet Fitness isn't the place for you. Go somewhere else. I find it funny that so many that don't even go to PF focus on the free pizza and tootsie rolls.....
    As we've been saying all along, our objection is not just "This gym doesn't fit my needs!"

Rather, most of us have principled objections to the place. Personally, I disapprove of businesses that spread falsehoods, foster fears that are mostly imaginary, needlessly hinder their customers, and paint ridiculous caricatures of their competition. I do understand that some people don't feel that such things are wrong, though.

It certainly doesn't help that Planet Fitness tends to take business away from more legitimate gyms. See http://www.ourmidland.com/news/article_35bc3cc6-2678-575a-a02a-f24555d1604b.html. It's unfair that these businesses have to suffer because PF insists on telling the public that they are filled with brutish lunks and should be feared.

I would say not caricatures of the competition, but of a type of high usage member they would rather make fun of than have.

Feeding into the cattiness that breeds threads like, "Ermagerds, I want to goez to teh gymz, but people judge meeeeeee!"
  • PRMinx
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

I would say not caricatures of the competition, but of a type of high usage member they would rather make fun of than have.

Feeding into the cattiness that breeds threads like, "Ermagerds, I want to goez to teh gymz, but people judge meeeeeee!"

I find the fact that there is tanning to be highly hypocritical. It seems to fly in the face of their own commercials as well.
  • dbmata
    Options

I find the fact that there is tanning to be highly hypocritical. It seems to fly in the face of their own commercials as well.

What's wrong with tanning? At least in this context?
    (Serious question, my golds has a bed... not sure why.)
  • PRMinx
    Options

What's wrong with tanning? At least in this context?
    (Serious question, my golds has a bed... not sure why.)

Well here on the East Coast they have that commercial with the super skinny, faked tan women (airheads of course!) that they are essentially making fun off. So I just found it bizarre that they are promoting tanning.
  • dbmata
    Options
    ah.

Those gals were hot. Totes jersey. ;)
  • PRMinx
    Options
    ah.

We're born that way, dude.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    ashleycde wrote: »
    I only heard of Planet Fitness the other day, on here, when someone mentioned they were coming to Canada, so I looked them up. Apparently they're here, in my city, but it's a big city and I don't drive, so even at $10 a month compared to upwards of $100 for most gyms here, the hour and a half transit trip (45 minutes each way) just isn't convenient enough for me, so I will continue to workout at home. I'd love to find a gym I could walk to that wouldn't cost me an arm and leg. If they had classes at that price I'd go out of my way for sure, but I have a stationary bike, jump rope and weights at home so I'd probably only really make use of their treadmill.

To the Americans who seem to be much more familiar with this gym, does it offer classes, maybe at an additional cost, and I'm just missing the information on their website?

I read about the free pizza and bagels. That's weird to me.

What's a lunk alarm?

There aren't classes
  • dbmata
    Options
    ah.

We're born that way, dude.
    This reminds me, I need to get some sfogliatelle today.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I had a PF membership for a couple of years. It's no frills, no classes, no sauna, etc. it was a good gym to use after I had my baby as I knew I wouldn't be able to go very often; it's cheap! I used the cardio machines and weight machines and didn't have a plan, really. As time went on I found heavy lifting (love!) and starting doing Stronglifts 5x5. My location had 1 squat rack. I usually had to wait for one particular guy to finish using it on certain mornings. I was able to do squats, deadlifts, OHP, bench, dumbells exercises all at Planet. But I started to think that I could buy a used power rack and have a home gym and not have to wait for that one guy to get the squat rack to myself. So I did that. PF has dumb rules like "no string tank shirts" & "no grunting". I read an article once where an employee told a woman that her fit physique was intimidating to another gym goer! Sorry if someone else mentioned this, I didn't read the whole thread. But, wow, really Planet Fitness?
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Hmm. $10 a month. All you can eat pizza? I wouldn't work out there, for crying out loud, but it seems like it would almost be worth it just for the pizza. Does the alarm get set off if I am moaning while eating pizza? I could choke.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I PICK STUFF UP AND PUT STUFF DOWN!

Come on, for $10 a month they're great. I run for an hour on my lunch break. I have an olympic set and do Stronglifts 3x a week at home. Sometimes I'll supplement with the weight machines at PF. (yes, free weights are better, but that doesn't mean machines won't do anything for you)

Yes, their target audience is people who are intimidated by 'bro' gyms. They partner with The Biggest Loser, which means you can see some very large people there.

There's nothing wrong with that. If you're not their target customer, go to another gym. I don't understand the PF hate.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I used to use Planet Fitness. It was one of the few ones left that had an actual squat rack and a large free weight section. They recently "remodeled" and the squat rack, benches, and free weights were gone :( Thankfully a crunch fitness opened up and offered memberships at a cheaper price.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    is this thread still going...???
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I never realized this, but I was told that an employee at PF actually has to sound the "lunk alarm" ...I always just assumed it went off on it own ...

that is so freaking lame...they just got some high school kid sitting by a button waiting to push it if someone gets too loud?????
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I never realized this, but I was told that an employee at PF actually has to sound the "lunk alarm" ...I always just assumed it went off on it own ...

that is so freaking lame...they just got some high school kid sitting by a button waiting to push it if someone gets too loud?????

The one I used to go to set the lunk alarm off just for fun sometimes. Scared the daylights out of me one day. My brother's girlfriend had sneezed on the elliptical and they told her she was too loud and needed to quiet down.