Rinsing ground beef?

Options
124»

Replies

• dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I like to buy crappy ground beef because of cost factors (like 80/20 or even 73/27) but I drain all the grease and even rinse it with water. Would you still log this as what it is or do you make it a bit better since the fat was drained off?

For cost I often buy a roast that is on sale and have it ground. Tthat is usually cheaper than the cheapest pre-ground beef, the ground beef is fresh, taste better and often has less fat.

I do not rinse by ground beef - raw or cooked. I will drain off fat if I am adding ti to something. And when I cooked hamburgers I do squish them to get any fat out.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You rinse cooked meat with water? :noway:

Oh! I thought she meant uncooked. But rinsing cooked meat with water?! :sick:

I like to do this with cakes to get rid of all that extra icing
  • fallingken
    fallingken Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I like to buy crappy ground beef because of cost factors (like 80/20 or even 73/27) but I drain all the grease and even rinse it with water. Would you still log this as what it is or do you make it a bit better since the fat was drained off?

is it still beef or does the molecular composition change once you've put ground meat in contact with running water?

just figured removing grease has to remove calories lol but i think erring on the side of caution is always good.

Considering fat isn't water soluble, how much fat is actually being removed?

:laugh:
    Must rinse meat with olive oil.

A little squirt of Dawn will clean all that fat away, and keep it from resettling on your other dishes.:happy:

Seriously though, think of what all that grease is doing to your plumbing too. Eventually it sticks to the pipes and will cause problems. As Blue Man Group says, your plumbing will become "interactive"
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER heard of rinsing ground beef. That wouldn't remove fat and it would ruin the texture of the meat and make it soggy, seems to me. Why not just buy the quality stuff in the first place? Use a little less if price is a problem.
  • IzzyM210
    IzzyM210 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Rinse ground meat??:noway: If you are so concerned about the fat,then just buy lean.I mean,you are rinsing the "flavor" away anyway...right?? :huh:

but to each his own.:flowerforyou:
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I would just buy leaner beef and use less of it. Especially if you're putting it in a dish, you won't miss the extra.
    Or use ground turkey.