Want to start strength training - absolute beginner

so since June I have basically done nothing but cardio, couch to 5k 3 days a week and walking on the other days. I am down almost 80lbs and think I want to start doing weights to help tighten my skin and also to build a little muscle/tone up but I have no idea what I am doing. The last time I did any sort of weight lifting was over 10 years ago and i just used the machines but I didn't really know what I was doing. I basically want a 3 day a week routine, I am not even as concerned about my lower body as much as I am my abs/chest/arms. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Replies

• Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    what youtube videos or series of videos do you recommend? What did your beginning workout routine look like?
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 503 Member
    chunkfitness.com is an amazing website to see example explanations and videos of all kinds of weight training exercises. More than anything, you need to focus on correct form to avoid injury. Go easy on the weight at first and get the hang of correct form. Keep checking those videos for reference. I highly recommend getting a certified personal trainer, even if just for a few sessions to get you started.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Starting strength. Just do it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    are you going to a gym?

if so look up the following
    starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting
    strong curves

if you are not going to a gym check these programs
    convict conditioning
    body by you
    you are your own gym
    nerdfitness.com- best beginner body weight program
    -
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited January 2015
    Robbnva wrote: »
    so since June I have basically done nothing but cardio, couch to 5k 3 days a week and walking on the other days. I am down almost 80lbs and think I want to start doing weights to help tighten my skin and also to build a little muscle/tone up but I have no idea what I am doing. The last time I did any sort of weight lifting was over 10 years ago and i just used the machines but I didn't really know what I was doing. I basically want a 3 day a week routine, I am not even as concerned about my lower body as much as I am my abs/chest/arms. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Step 1: Change that mindset. No, this isn't the stereotypical "never skip leg day" statement. It's that, if you want a balanced physique, you'll want to be concerned about lower body.

Step 2: Buy the book "Starting Strength," by Mark Rippetoe. Read it. Twice.

Step 3: Pick any of the programs Jo (except Strong Curves. A guy doing Strong Curves?) just mentioned and do it. DO IT THE WAY IT'S WRITTEN - DO NOT TRY TO CHANGE IT.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited January 2015
    Subscribing. :)

Right now I take classes but I would like to do stuff on my own time as well.

For me it was baby steps since I had a very weak core, feet issues, and tight muscles when I started and really had to focus more on proper form to avoid injury. I had injured my back in the past and never want to do that again.

I did do PT before I started at the gym at a sports PT place. The exercises I got there really helped me with my baby steps.

I will have to look into those sites. Here is a site my PT recommended to me. I am just passing it along here.

https://www.hep2go.com/

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »

Step 1: Change that mindset. No, this isn't the stereotypical "never skip leg day" statement. It's that, if you want a balanced physique, you'll want to be concerned about lower body.

Really, we need to take that even a step-further because it's more than just a balanced physique too. It's even more important for overall balance in how your muscles function; think of your muscles as one big unit / machine with different segments. Dysfunction in one segment can lead to dysfunctional movement and even injury in others segments. Train the whole body.

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    I don't come from any point of authority except a little experience.

I'm a runner who has been lifting twice a week for about a year now. I would suggest that you only add one or maybe two new exercises at a time. Because form is important, you want to get really good at each and then - when you add another in, it won't feel as intimidating (in the gym). Others who have more experience could tell you which exercises to start with but I would think whole-body lifts like dead lifts and squats. Good luck!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    lgutches wrote: »
    I don't come from any point of authority except a little experience.

I'm a runner who has been lifting twice a week for about a year now. I would suggest that you only add one or maybe two new exercises at a time.

This is a good point and really more than just for exercise form. You can't just add and add and add to your training, your body does have limited resources and you have to recover from your training. Start basic with a couple key compound lifts, 1 or 2 Core exercises, and call it a day. If you need to add an exercise know why you're adding it and not just because you can. Every exercise should have a purpose in helping you achieve your goals. If you can't figure out why you're doing an exercise, then it probably doesn't need to be done.
  • JoRocka
    TR0berts wrote: »

Step 3: Pick any of the programs Jo (except Strong Curves. A guy doing Strong Curves?) just mentioned and do it. DO IT THE WAY IT'S WRITTEN - DO NOT TRY TO CHANGE IT.

haha- I didn't double check that it was a guy- but he would be more than capable of doing it- and it wouldn't hurt him honestly- we say it to women all the time- there is no gender specific training- although that book is unquestioningly geared to woman- he could still do it if he wanted.

(that would be an interesting experiment me thinks)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    LOL, don't forbid the guy from doing Strong Curves, ya gender binary facist. ;);)

And, honestly, I'll take the "you can't train the top half only" and say that if you are really getting the most out of your compound lifts, you can't really even get too strict on arm vs leg exercises. The #1 thing I've learned as a N00b is that you can get the most bang for your buck concentrating on the compound lifts. Work whole muscle chains at the same time...and those chains don't stop at the waist.

Plus, OP, you really don't want to ignore your legs. You'll look like Larry the Lobster on Spongebob. Don't be a lobster, OP. Work your whole body.
  • Robbnva
    Thanks, I have no idea how to lift so this will be interesting
  • I was in the same place as you. I used to only run or take classes, but was constantly getting injured and I needed to build muscle. Being on a budget, I tried to watch YouTube videos to start strength training, but noticed that some of the movements weren't that effective or were tweaking parts of my body that were already strained.
    I ended up signing up for Personal Training at the gym and found it to be very helpful. The trainer will let you know about form and will watch you when you do the movements to see if you're maintaining the proper form. I also learned how to do a lot of the movements properly and learned to use the correct muscle for each movement.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

I didn't either when I started. So.... I read a book. And I watched some videos. And then I tried the exercises using light weights, concentrating on the proper form. And I learned and I loved it, and you will too.

• rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    This site and this plan is a FANTASTIC starting point. There are videos for all the exercises and it is a real beginners guide.

Good luck!

bodybuilding.com/fun/the-ultimate-30-day-beginners-guide-to-fitness.html
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    I would recommend Stronglift 5x5 or Starting Strength (basically the same programs). The advantage of then is that 1) They have a limited number of exercises that make up the program. 2) The a free weight programs meaning supporting muscles are worked as well. 3) They are compound lifts allowing the working of more of the body in less time. 4) They are designed with built in progression that starts out very light weight to allow development of good form.

Do that program as it is written and you will get stronger very quickly.
  • JoRocka

no body was born knowing how to lift... we all had to learn from nothing- read the the books we recommended- the information is DEFINITELY out there.

811327160_zps4b2f41e1.jpg
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    edited January 2015
    I would add All Pro Routine found on Bodybuilding.com. It's a 3-days a week full body routine. Start super-light until you are comfortable you have good form. Once you start you'll be hooked.

Definitely this:
    DO IT THE WAY IT'S WRITTEN - DO NOT TRY TO CHANGE IT.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    The All-Pro isn't horrible but I think the progression is backwards. Why would you start heavier with a beginner? Calf Raises? The Squat actually activates the Calves pretty well on the concentric, they're kind of unnecessary unless there's a deficiency that needs to be corrected through strengthening.

I would start with Starting Strength, StrongLifts, or even 5/3/1 (the dreaded slow plate adding).
  • Robbnva
    I would recommend Stronglift 5x5 or Starting Strength (basically the same programs). The advantage of then is that 1) They have a limited number of exercises that make up the program. 2) The a free weight programs meaning supporting muscles are worked as well. 3) They are compound lifts allowing the working of more of the body in less time. 4) They are designed with built in progression that starts out very light weight to allow development of good form.

Do that program as it is written and you will get stronger very quickly.

I saw that earlier when reading another post and I can honestly say that I am intimidated by that program cause I don't know how to do some of those exercises.