Want to start strength training - absolute beginner

Replies

• hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    edited January 2015
    dave4d wrote: »
    Be careful lifting from the floor with anything on the bar that is smaller than a 45 lb plate. The smaller plates make you start in a lower position which puts more stress on the lower back which can cause injury. You may want to put a few plates or blocks under the bar to put it at the proper beginning height

That is an excellent point

It's impossible to predict when anyone will reach a plateau, but you'll know when it happens. Your progress stalls

As far as calories go, once your DL and squat start getting anywhere near your body weight, it is almost guaranteed that you will need to consume more than 1,700 per day. As you lift more, your calorie requirements increase dramatically. That's where you have to really understand your goals. If it is to lose fat, then you will have to sacrifice some lifting progress to keep your food intake at a reasonable level to support fat loss. But, you should still see linear progression, which will demand an increase in calories

• Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Yeah, it'll be a while til I get to my body weight in squats by yes when they get heavier, I know I'll need to eat more. Yesterday I ate way more than normal.
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Eating extremely low calories will definitely cause weight loss which is good if your goal is to move the scale needle down. I went a different approach when I dropped 100lbs. I ate a very slight deficit while lifting to build more muscle. As I added muscle I also added food (good clean food). Weight came off and I became stronger.
  • Robbnva
    tomsarno wrote: »
    Eating extremely low calories will definitely cause weight loss which is good if your goal is to move the scale needle down. I went a different approach when I dropped 100lbs. I ate a very slight deficit while lifting to build more muscle. As I added muscle I also added food (good clean food). Weight came off and I became stronger.

How long did it take you to lose 100? I'm curious what your before and after was if you don't mind.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Robbnva wrote: »
    Nobody even cares what you are doing at the gym so the pressure was all internal.

This is so true. If only people would realize this. The only thing I've ever seen anyone comment on was dangerously bad for and for wearing a ring while deadlifting, which has great potential to wreck the ring, scratch the bar and rip the finger the ring is on.
  • tomsarno
    edited January 2015
    About 19months to drop 90lbs. I then dropped 10 more in 4 weeks and my bench and squat dropped alot and I looked flat. I went back up 8 in two weeks and am now trying to drop slower. If you look at my pics the one with the red shirt was when I was eating more and still loosing. The one in the orange shirt I was eating less calories and you can see muscle was flat looking. I will see is I can get an updated photo tonight to show what I look like now
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    zipa78 wrote: »
    Nobody even cares what you are doing at the gym so the pressure was all internal.

This is so true. If only people would realize this. The only thing I've ever seen anyone comment on was dangerously bad for and for wearing a ring while deadlifting, which has great potential to wreck the ring, scratch the bar and rip the finger the ring is on.
    I think it was my third session rock climbing? I had a huge lecture from two guys complete with pictures, anatomical descriptions, and a demonstration of how easy it is to glove your finger thanks to a wedding ring.

I don't wear it anymore, eff that.
  • Robbnva
    Can't seem to see photos from my phone, I'll check when I get to a computer
  • dbmata
    Can't seem to see photos from my phone, I'll check when I get to a computer
    Oh, regarding what weights do you get to before it levels off?

Depends.

I started at 275, got into lifting at 245, right now around 230? Once I started legitimately training my lifting, in 9 months I went from:
    Bench: 145 -> 255
    Squat: 155 -> 325
    Deadlift: 300 -> 505

I'm still getting growth too, so it's a matter of what you already have built up, so to speak, and where your genetics can take you.
  • tomsarno
    dbmata wrote: »
    ]
    I think it was my third session rock climbing? I had a huge lecture from two guys complete with pictures, anatomical descriptions, and a demonstration of how easy it is to glove your finger thanks to a wedding ring.

When my wife asks why I don't wear my wedding ring I will show her this. Maybe she won't swing the frying pan so hard.
  • Robbnva
    ]

When my wife asks why I don't wear my wedding ring I will show her this. Maybe she won't swing the frying pan so hard.

Lol
  • Robbnva
    I'm so excited to lift tomorrow, who have I become lol
  • rebprest
    rebprest Posts: 149 Member
    As a beginner who tried just watching Youtube videos and reading endless books about strength training, I would recommend working with a personal trainer for at least a short period of time. It can be really difficult to tell if you have correct form when you have no experience, and having someone who you can be reasonably confident knows what they are doing to fix it is wonderful. Also, it can difficult to sort out the people who know what they are doing in videos. That's what has been working for me, anyway.
  • dbmata
    ]

If she gets curious, show her pictures. Ask her how foreplay goes then.
  • Robbnva
    rebprest wrote: »
    As a beginner who tried just watching Youtube videos and reading endless books about strength training, I would recommend working with a personal trainer for at least a short period of time. It can be really difficult to tell if you have correct form when you have no experience, and having someone who you can be reasonably confident knows what they are doing to fix it is wonderful. Also, it can difficult to sort out the people who know what they are doing in videos. That's what has been working for me, anyway.
    I went to one at my gym and his routine for me was the following cycle

Ropes (30 seconds)
    KBS (21/15/9)
    Trx row - same
    Flex squat - same

Then finish with hiit on a spin bike, 20 high intensity, 20 low intensity.

I hated the workout
  • dbmata
    I'd hate that workout too.
  • razeak
    razeak Posts: 12
    TR0berts wrote: »
    so since June I have basically done nothing but cardio, couch to 5k 3 days a week and walking on the other days. I am down almost 80lbs and think I want to start doing weights to help tighten my skin and also to build a little muscle/tone up but I have no idea what I am doing. The last time I did any sort of weight lifting was over 10 years ago and i just used the machines but I didn't really know what I was doing. I basically want a 3 day a week routine, I am not even as concerned about my lower body as much as I am my abs/chest/arms. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Step 1: Change that mindset. No, this isn't the stereotypical "never skip leg day" statement. It's that, if you want a balanced physique, you'll want to be concerned about lower body.

Step 2: Buy the book "Starting Strength," by Mark Rippetoe. Read it. Twice.

Step 3: Pick any of the programs Jo (except Strong Curves. A guy doing Strong Curves?) just mentioned and do it. DO IT THE WAY IT'S WRITTEN - DO NOT TRY TO CHANGE IT.

This. Also, hitting those legs will really help burn those calories and make upper body lifts on your feet more stable. Everything benefits from legs.
  • Robbnva
    Does anyone do the assistance exercises at all?
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    rebprest wrote: »

I was doing some work in the power rack one day and I saw one of the gym trainers workingwith a lady in the squat rack next to me teaching her Romanian dead lifts. Her back was rounding as she did her lifts. He made no attempt to correct her form.

A good trainer can be worth their weight in gold, but most of the gym trainers that I've watched working with people were worthless.

• Robbnva
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Hey Rob, what are your stats (height, weight & goal weight, age)?

@stealthq: Hey man, I don't know I could be looking at the wrong link; I don't go to BB.Com often. Here's what I was looking at, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843 . The author of the thread is "all pro".

I feel like I am in an AOL chat room ;)

I am 37, 5'10 started at 295, current weight is 215, goal weight is 185.

If I'm hungry I eat.

If you track your calories strictly then your calories for 215lbs are 2,282, which is a lot more than 1400. Your goal weight is 185. In order to get to 185, you have to get to 200 first, so try and take your calorie cut gradually. Calories for...

200lbs: 2,201
    190lbs: 2,147
    185lbs: 2,120
    *approximate of course*
    This is just straight up right? Not counting exercise calories and eating them back or no?