Want to start strength training - absolute beginner

Replies

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Robbnva wrote: »
    Does anyone do the assistance exercises at all?

You can do assistance if you feel like you still have some grunt left in you. Honestly, though, I wouldn't bother with any assistance until well into the program.
  • hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    zipa78 wrote: »
    Does anyone do the assistance exercises at all?

You can do assistance if you feel like you still have some grunt left in you. Honestly, though, I wouldn't bother with any assistance until well into the program.

+1

Focus only on the main lifts at first
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    Nobody even cares what you are doing at the gym so the pressure was all internal.

This is so true. If only people would realize this. The only thing I've ever seen anyone comment on was dangerously bad for and for wearing a ring while deadlifting, which has great potential to wreck the ring, scratch the bar and rip the finger the ring is on.
    I think it was my third session rock climbing? I had a huge lecture from two guys complete with pictures, anatomical descriptions, and a demonstration of how easy it is to glove your finger thanks to a wedding ring.

I don't wear it anymore, eff that.
    same with shoes/boots on the bike. wear the proper riding gear. *kitten* is scary.

I'm getting ready to have a ring on my finger for a more perment length of time- and I'm a little nervous about it- I don't wear a lot of rings- and I never wear them regularly- I'm TERRIFIED I'm going to lose it :( Especially since I lift right after work 3 x a week.
  • charlesfriday1
    charlesfriday1 Posts: 14 Member
    I lost about 40 pounds starting two years ago and doing cardio. It took me about six months. I slacked off some on the cardio and gained about ten pounds back (but I needed to, I was too skinny) and was pretty much maintaining.

Starting at the first of December I started weight training. I was a rank beginner at it. I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5. I can't recommend it enough. I'm really seeing changes in my body. I have the beginnings of a six pack and when I run now, it feels as though my legs contain springs. The strength I've gained noticeable.

And it is REALLY starting to speed up my metabolism. I can't recommend it enough.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Hey Rob, what are your stats (height, weight & goal weight, age)?

@stealthq: Hey man, I don't know I could be looking at the wrong link; I don't go to BB.Com often. Here's what I was looking at, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843 . The author of the thread is "all pro".

I feel like I am in an AOL chat room ;)

I am 37, 5'10 started at 295, current weight is 215, goal weight is 185.

If I'm hungry I eat.

If you track your calories strictly then your calories for 215lbs are 2,282, which is a lot more than 1400. Your goal weight is 185. In order to get to 185, you have to get to 200 first, so try and take your calorie cut gradually. Calories for...

200lbs: 2,201
    190lbs: 2,147
    185lbs: 2,120
    *approximate of course*
    This is just straight up right? Not counting exercise calories and eating them back or no?

Correct, that's just straight-up; no over-priced piece of equipment required. ;)

• Sam_I_Am77
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Nobody even cares what you are doing at the gym so the pressure was all internal.

This is so true. If only people would realize this. The only thing I've ever seen anyone comment on was dangerously bad for and for wearing a ring while deadlifting, which has great potential to wreck the ring, scratch the bar and rip the finger the ring is on.
    I think it was my third session rock climbing? I had a huge lecture from two guys complete with pictures, anatomical descriptions, and a demonstration of how easy it is to glove your finger thanks to a wedding ring.

same with shoes/boots on the bike. wear the proper riding gear. *kitten* is scary.

I'm getting ready to have a ring on my finger for a more perment length of time- and I'm a little nervous about it- I don't wear a lot of rings- and I never wear them regularly- I'm TERRIFIED I'm going to lose it :( Especially since I lift right after work 3 x a week.

Congrats Jo! I just got married last year and it takes some getting use to. I haven't found it to really interfere with anything other than Kroc Rows, so far so good. It bothers me more at work just sitting at my keyboard, like right now. lol
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member

@stealthq: Hey man, I don't know I could be looking at the wrong link; I don't go to BB.Com often. Here's what I was looking at, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843 . The author of the thread is "all pro".

If I'm hungry I eat.

If you track your calories strictly then your calories for 215lbs are 2,282, which is a lot more than 1400. Your goal weight is 185. In order to get to 185, you have to get to 200 first, so try and take your calorie cut gradually. Calories for...

*approximate of course*
    This is just straight up right? Not counting exercise calories and eating them back or no?

Correct, that's just straight-up; no over-priced piece of equipment required. ;)

But that's no different than what I'm doing now, cept I put my exercise in and eat back the calories. So you suggest 2200, I'm eating 1700 to 2000 depending on.the day.
  • Sam_I_Am77

If I'm hungry I eat.

*approximate of course*

But that's no different than what I'm doing now, cept I put my exercise in and eat back the calories. So you suggest 2200, I'm eating 1700 to 2000 depending on.the day.

Ah, okay. I saw where you said 1400 but must've missed where you said you eat-back all of your exercise calories. Just be careful, even at 2K consistently you're a little below 185lbs and you're still at 215. There is some evidence available that indicates dieting on as many calories as possible is the best way to go for long-term weight management. It's not a conclusive thing, but there's good info on it that is supportive of the theory. If you're interested you can keyword "Metabolic Flexibility" by Layne Norton, Eric Helms, and there was somebody else working on this too but I forgot her name unfortunately. Also, you can look-up, body-fat hyperplasia.

• Robbnva
    So how many grams of protein should I consume on lift days and non lift days?
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member

I'd keep them the same, with the exception of a possible allowance for an extra post workout recovery/protein shake. Pick a goal, there are lots of guidelines, such as one gram per pound of lean body mass. It isn't really all that important, as long as you are getting "enough"... :smile:

Anything over 100-120 grams should be plenty enough, although there's no harm in going over that. Try hitting at least 100 grams every day, whether or not you are lifting. Muscles develop 24-48 hours after the exercise, so it is really even more important to make sure you hit your targets the day after you've been lifting.
  • JoRocka

I'm getting ready to have a ring on my finger for a more permanent length of time- and I'm a little nervous about it- I don't wear a lot of rings- and I never wear them regularly- I'm TERRIFIED I'm going to lose it :( Especially since I lift right after work 3 x a week.

Congrats Jo! I just got married last year and it takes some getting use to. I haven't found it to really interfere with anything other than Kroc Rows, so far so good. It bothers me more at work just sitting at my keyboard, like right now. lol

LOL thanks- it's kind of a none issue- we've been talking over rings and stuff and it's going to happen so it's like waomp waomp- not an issue -so not even exciting LOL it's going to happen- just a matter of when and where...

I feel a little bit like I'm going to wear it only when he's here- he's not big on jewelry either- not sure if we are going to wear them regularly. Good to know it's less bothersome than I think. I know a lot of people who wear their's regularly and it's starting to cause me some like- augita LOL
  • decy63
    decy63 Posts: 175 Member
    Starting strength. Just do it.

This is basically all you need to know Stronglifts is pretty much the same idea use them to get stronger then look at other programs down the line.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    I recomend the book New Rules of lifting, good advice, and work out plans for beginning.
  • Sam_I_Am77

I'm getting ready to have a ring on my finger for a more permanent length of time- and I'm a little nervous about it- I don't wear a lot of rings- and I never wear them regularly- I'm TERRIFIED I'm going to lose it :( Especially since I lift right after work 3 x a week.

LOL thanks- it's kind of a none issue- we've been talking over rings and stuff and it's going to happen so it's like waomp waomp- not an issue -so not even exciting LOL it's going to happen- just a matter of when and where...

I feel a little bit like I'm going to wear it only when he's here- he's not big on jewelry either- not sure if we are going to wear them regularly. Good to know it's less bothersome than I think. I know a lot of people who wear their's regularly and it's starting to cause me some like- augita LOL

Yeah, everybody has their own feelings towards the ring. I don't like jewelry either and it's the only thing I wear actually but I feel like something is missing if I take it off when I'm working or one certain lifts, even if it's just a few minutes.
  • JoRocka
    So brings me to a question... if you take it off only for certain lifts- but leave it on otherwise- do you put in in your bag? or do you have a specific spot for it? I'm afraid my bag's going to eat it LOL
  • Sam_I_Am77

I'd keep them the same, with the exception of a possible allowance for an extra post workout recovery/protein shake. Pick a goal, there are lots of guidelines, such as one gram per pound of lean body mass. It isn't really all that important, as long as you are getting "enough"... :smile:

Anything over 100-120 grams should be plenty enough, although there's no harm in going over that. Try hitting at least 100 grams every day, whether or not you are lifting. Muscles develop 24-48 hours after the exercise, so it is really even more important to make sure you hit your targets the day after you've been lifting.

Muscle protein synthesis is elevated immediately after exercise. The concept of the anabolic window may very well be 24-hours but MPS is immediate.

This is such a debated topic... Shoot for 0.8 to 1.0 grams per LB of bodyweight and go from there.

• Sam_I_Am77
    So brings me to a question... if you take it off only for certain lifts- but leave it on otherwise- do you put in in your bag? or do you have a specific spot for it? I'm afraid my bag's going to eat it LOL

I really only take it off for my last set of Kroc Rows where it's a heavy all-out set and the ring does affect my grip. Because it's DB's I can take it off my left ring finger and put it on my right pinky finger for that set and then I put it back. So far nothing else has really affected. When I use to DL I didn't notice a problem with it either to be honest. Worst case scenario you use your left hand as your underhand grip on your hardest sets.
  • JoRocka

I really only take it off for my last set of Kroc Rows where it's a heavy all-out set and the ring does affect my grip. Because it's DB's I can take it off my left ring finger and put it on my right pinky finger for that set and then I put it back. So far nothing else has really affected. When I use to DL I didn't notice a problem with it either to be honest. Worst case scenario you use your left hand as your underhand grip on your hardest sets.

good to know- thank you- hadn't thought about just switching to a different finger.

I alternate DL grip (i have trap un-evenness) but my heavy heavy's I go to my standard which is left over- right under- it's gotten better and more even- but still good to know. Thank you :) Whenever he gets around to getting me one- I'll share ;)
  • Robbnva
    edited January 2015
    @ sam - For lift days or everyday?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    @ sam - For lift days or everyday?

Yeah, keep your protein approximately the same every day but don't stress if you end-up at like .75 or even go over 1 a little. Some people like to cycle their carbs between strength-training and non-strength training days, so that's something you can try and see if it benefits you.