Want to start strength training - absolute beginner

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    a) When you can't progress.

b) When you like how you look and like how strong you are.

c) virtually never. You might find you like it.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Thanks
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Robbnva wrote: »
    What works is losing weight which is what my goal is. I sit at a desk all day so my requirements are lower than someone who's running around on their feet all day. My doctor has no issues with my intake, so that's all that matters to me.

I work an 8 hour job at a desk- I'm 5'8" and I'm a woman.
    - I only lift 3 times a week- and I do no cardio.

Seriously 1400 is NOT ENOUGH FOOD for a grown *kitten* man.

plain and simple.
  • Robbnva
    You are right, which is why on days I exercise I eat between 1700 to 2k calories a day...
  • Robbnva
    I'm sure my diary is open to all I believe, I eat and am satisfied for being a grown *kitten* man. I'm not sure what I'll do when I get to my goal cause eating more calories seem impossible for me, unless I eat more junk or start eating out (no thanks)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    And yes- as you have to eat more food- if you can't eat more via chicken and buckets of broccoli- yes you'll need to resort to higher calorie- less filling options .. i.e. "junk".

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Sorry, OP. I had to bring up the calories, especially since you seemed so excited and serious about lifting. I eat more than that to lose weight, and I'm a 5'4" woman. If you're lifting, you'll want to eat more. Perhaps try and see. When I lift I feel like I could eat a house, and my 1680 calories a day are difficult to keep.
  • Robbnva
    edited January 2015
    Well today is day 2, and I'm making a point to eat more than normal, so I do realize on heavy exercise days I eat more, but I've always done that. I'll probably eat 2k calories today, but my net will still be around 1,400. I've had 1300 already and haven't had dinner yet, or my evening treat.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Hey Rob, what are your stats (height, weight & goal weight, age)?

@stealthq: Hey man, I don't know I could be looking at the wrong link; I don't go to BB.Com often. Here's what I was looking at, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843 . The author of the thread is "all pro".
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    If you are only 20-30 pounds from your goal weight, then you shouldn't be aiming for 2 pounds per week. Set it to 1 pound per week. The reason is because you should be thinking about trying to preserve that muscle (lifting will help - and getting plenty of protein).

And yes, you will certainly feel like you want to eat a cow once you start lifting.
  • Robbnva
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

@stealthq: Hey man, I don't know I could be looking at the wrong link; I don't go to BB.Com often. Here's what I was looking at, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843 . The author of the thread is "all pro".

I feel like I am in an AOL chat room ;)

I am 37, 5'10 started at 295, current weight is 215, goal weight is 185.

If I'm hungry I eat.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Now back on topic, at what point will I start to level off weights?

When you run out of plates at the gym.

Seriously, there is no need to ever do it on purpose. You will know when you hit a wall, then it is up to you to decide whether or not you want to take the effort to bust through it or just maintain that level of fitness.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    shor0814 wrote: »

Quoting this for reference.

I have been doing my homework and going to do the 5X5. It does look intimidating to start but I am tired of the classes with no results.

Good thread. Thanks OP for posting this thread. :)

• Robbnva
    Swanky, I thought it looked intimidating but after doing workout 1 & 2, it really isn't. Nobody even cares what you are doing at the gym so the pressure was all internal. I even watched the videos before each activity for a refresher
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited January 2015
    What weight did you start at? I want to make sure I have proper form before adding weight.

Jeannine in MO
  • Robbnva
    What weight did you start at? I want to make sure I have proper form before adding weight.

Jeannine in MO

Just the bar, so 45lbs. The deadlifts and rows require a weight so 55 for the rows, 95 for deadlifts. Download the app and it'll tell you what to start with.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited January 2015

I feel like I am in an AOL chat room ;)

I am 37, 5'10 started at 295, current weight is 215, goal weight is 185.

If I'm hungry I eat.

If you track your calories strictly then your calories for 215lbs are 2,282, which is a lot more than 1400. Your goal weight is 185. In order to get to 185, you have to get to 200 first, so try and take your calorie cut gradually. Calories for...

200lbs: 2,201
    190lbs: 2,147
    185lbs: 2,120
    *approximate of course*

If you eat when you're hungry that could be one approach if it's working for you. If you want to get more structured about it then I would suggest the above ranges for you. One could argue that the above ranges could be 10% - 15% more than what is stated.
    Swanky, I thought it looked intimidating but after doing workout 1 & 2, it really isn't. Nobody even cares what you are doing at the gym so the pressure was all internal. I even watched the videos before each activity for a refresher

That's great Rob!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

Yeah, that's the first version that was out - I think there are three or four updates at this point. You find them later in the thread after people used the routine for a bit and gave feedback.
  • Robbnva
    Thanks for the info Sam, I'll keep it in mind
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member

Jeannine in MO

Just the bar, so 45lbs. The deadlifts and rows require a weight so 55 for the rows, 95 for deadlifts. Download the app and it'll tell you what to start with.

You could always do Romanian Deadlifts where you start from the lowest setting in the power rack and go down, but the purpose of the deadlift is to pick things up off the floor. Be careful lifting from the floor with anything on the bar that is smaller than a 45 lb plate. The smaller plates make you start in a lower position which puts more stress on the lower back which can cause injury. You may want to put a few plates or blocks under the bar to put it at the proper beginning height.