For the first time ever I wore a bikini to a friends pool party (NSV).

Options
I am just a teen and a friends pool party was coming up, I've been wearing the same tankini for 5 years, under the same rash vest and board shorts. But I found a cute bikini when I was at the store, it was expensive, but I decided I deserved it, especially since I'd gotten so much wear out of the other pair.

I've lost 25 ibs so far, but still feel I have 20-25 ibs to go, however, I have lost a majority of the weight on my stomach first. I wasn't too sure if I was going to wear the bikini without a rash vest (although I knew I'd wear it with board shorts) the night before I decided, I'm going to wear the rash vest because it's not just me and the girls, there are some guys there too.

So fast forward to today, I'm in my friends room getting changed, I've got my board shorts and my bikini on and I'm about to reach for the tank top I'm going to use as a makeshift rash vest, but then I hesitate. I shake my head and chuck the tank top on, but my hands reach for the hem and lift it back up so I can look at my bikini top. 'It really is cute,' I think to myself. I look up and my friend who is also getting changed is looking at me. "I don't know whether I want to wear the tank top or not." she's already in her bikini and she smiles, "You look cute in the bikini, but do whatever you feel comfortable in." I push the tank top back down, but then push it back up again. "There'll be guys there." I say. My friend looks up "they're your friends too." I pause, she's right, the boys there are all very sweet guys, lovely people, they would never dream of making negative comments about my body like that.

I rip off the tank top all at once and my brain shuts off as I grab my towel and follow my friend out, holding the rolled up towel to my chest. I walk through the pool gate, inhale quickly and push away my cover, hanging the towel over the fence and quickly jumping into the pool.

For the first half hour or so, I kept my body submerged, but eventually I noticed the waterline lowering, past my bust (or maybe I was just standing taller) and suddenly I was getting out of the pool and, walking slowly and confidently, to jump off the edge and into the pool, because dammit that was always one of my favourite things to do in the pool!

As time went on I grew more comfortable and just stopped caring about worrying how I looked in my bikini, because nobody but me cared, and there was nothing to be self concious about, I have a good torso, and regardless bodies come in all different shapes and sizes. :)

To some people maybe this isn't such big victory, but to me, a person who has always been shy, especially about my body and could never fathom wearing a bikini before, this is a big leap forward.
I can finally wear a bikini and think I look cute in it without being self concious about my size.
So this was just a really big (to me) NSV I wanted to share :)

Replies

• krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that's wonderful. :) Confidence is your best friend!
  • LauraSav97
    LauraSav97 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that's wonderful. :) Confidence is your best friend!

Thank you so much! Yes, my confidence has really soared since beginning to lose weight, a little bit feeling more comfortable in my own skin, and a little bit growing up :)
  • berto23
    berto23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Feeling good with yourself is very important. What you did is a huge accomplishment in my book. Congratulations young lady.
  • slowsonic88
    slowsonic88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well done :) that was lovely to read.
  • priyaFitnessFreak
    priyaFitnessFreak Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I can understand how great that must have felt. I have sometimes said no to pool parties because I didn't dare to wear swimwear in front of people. I'm still too overweight to do so, but that's one of my motivations right now, to be able to feel comfortable in my own skin.
  • LauraSav97
    Options
    berto23 wrote: »
    Feeling good with yourself is very important. What you did is a huge accomplishment in my book. Congratulations young lady.

Thank you so much! <3:)
  • LauraSav97
    Options
    Well done :) that was lovely to read.
    Thank you!!
  • LauraSav97
    Options
    I can understand how great that must have felt. I have sometimes said no to pool parties because I didn't dare to wear swimwear in front of people. I'm still too overweight to do so, but that's one of my motivations right now, to be able to feel comfortable in my own skin.

Me too! I've never turned any down (because my best friend and another close friend were unfortunately the ones with the pools) but I would dread them for ages, most of the time I wouldn't swim and would just sit by the edge of the pool.
    It was wonderful feeling comfortable for the first time I can remember yesterday!
    Good luck!!! I'm sure you'll reach that goal :)
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Yay for you!! That must have felt very liberating.
  • LauraSav97
    Options
    Holla4mom wrote: »
    Yay for you!! That must have felt very liberating.

Thank you!!!! Yes! :)<3
  • quzly
    quzly Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Well done!!! Congrats!! :):)
  • kismea
    kismea Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Congrats on such an amazing NSV! :D
  • LauraSav97
    Options
    quzly wrote: »
    Well done!!! Congrats!! :):)
    kismea wrote: »
    Congrats on such an amazing NSV! :D

Thank you, both of you! :blush::smile:
  • Zenexercise
    Zenexercise Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    well done!
  • LauraSav97
    Options
    well done!

Thank you!
  • PammieSuzyQ
    PammieSuzyQ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's frakking AWESOME! Congratulations on your hard work and your great day!!! Thank you so much for sharing your story, I wish I had been so brave and smart when I was young. Not only that, you wrote it so well, have you considered sending it to a magazine? I've been through thin and thick and thin with this body, and felt everything from eh to sexy, to blah, to good, and back around, and not all of that connected with my look or shape. I think you might be figuring it out, confidence is the sexiest thing about any of us. First they see our face and body, but secondly they see us. How we feel about ourselves is what outshines anything. "It's" not a victory, "YOU" are the victory.
  • 1bellringer1
    1bellringer1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    How flippin awesome is that? I love it and wish you much success in your weight loss.
  • LauraSav97
    Options
    Wow, that's frakking AWESOME! Congratulations on your hard work and your great day!!! Thank you so much for sharing your story, I wish I had been so brave and smart when I was young. Not only that, you wrote it so well, have you considered sending it to a magazine? I've been through thin and thick and thin with this body, and felt everything from eh to sexy, to blah, to good, and back around, and not all of that connected with my look or shape. I think you might be figuring it out, confidence is the sexiest thing about any of us. First they see our face and body, but secondly they see us. How we feel about ourselves is what outshines anything. "It's" not a victory, "YOU" are the victory.

Thank you so much! That's so sweet! Aaa thank you, I've always been interested in writing so I guess it's just natural for me to write in detail! Do magazines really accept storeis liek this? I might check it out! Thank you! Yes, confidence, the way you hold yourself and the way you think about yourself, really are the most important things!
    Thank you so much! You'r too kind! :blush::smile:
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    That is big! And tbh, if your friends had made negative comments, I would have suggested that you lose another few hundred pounds right away.
  • Ajaxlost
    Ajaxlost Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wonderful story! beautifully written! You are a rockstar!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!