The January Gym Crowd

Options
If you work out at a fitness center do you notice a lot more people there trying to live out their New Years resolution to get in shape? Seems like the same thing happens every year.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yes, I swim at a pool and we are full. It'll take a month or so to level off, or alot of flu. B)
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yup, but luckily it's the cardio area that takes the brunt of it. Changing rooms are a nightmare though. Full of businessmen complaining about their wives and jobs and taking forever to get changed.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    It might just be that I go to the gym at 11am, but I've barely noticed any change in the amount of people at my gym.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! My gym has been rammed the last couple of weeks (but I have only been in at peak times). Trying to do a freestyle class on the gym floor last week was a nightmare! It'll settle down soon.
  • ckmnacln
    ckmnacln Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    At first yes but it's already thinning out thank goodness.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    It was rough right after New Year's, but then we had a ridiculously cold/windy/icy spell and most of the newcomers gave up. There are a few new faces at my gym that have made it this far and I'm rooting for them so hard!
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I'm one of the Jan noobs. Fortunately the gym I joined isn't too busy so there's been no issues with getting on equipment. Please be nice to the noobs, don't make your frustration at the disruption the reason they don't stay.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What's your point? Do you have a problem with people that desire to improve themselves?
  • JohnH71
    JohnH71 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Last January, it was very obvious, but this time, not so much., which is great. Last year, you couldn't get on a treadmill in the bury 'after work' couple of hours, but it hasn't been like that this January.

So I'm not moaning :smiley:

However, as has been said, everyone has a right to give it a go if they pay their fees, and I wouldn't want to criticise anyone for wanting to get more fit. I was that newbie once. :wink:
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Haven't seen any new faces back on the weights, but 8AM is after the morning rush, or so they tell me.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Extremely crowded, especially since I go right after work. I know it'll die down by h end of feb. It drives me insane but at the same time who am I to criticize people that decided they want to better themselves. I did the same at one point.

I hate how it always dies down after a few months, ALWAYS. I would rather work out in a crowded gym year-round with people who are committed than see 3/4 of them leave after March and make me feel like a no life loser. We're supposed to be united, man. lol
  • Texas_Toast_27
    Texas_Toast_27 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am in the camp that I think it is awesome that people are trying to improve themselves. I don't mind the extra traffic and wish people would stick around all year long. I would give up five more minutes in the gym every day for the rest of my life if that meant others can get healthy.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I asked for Insanity this xmas for this exact reason. I use the weights I have at home to avoid the gym until the crowd goes away in a month or two.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with newbies, anyone giving it a go is awesome. I just don't like it when its crowded!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It's been a little busier but not that much.
  • hwestwood04
    Options
    Started weight training hard work but im motivated
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    What's your point? Do you have a problem with people that desire to improve themselves?
    I don't see anyone saying that, or even remotely suggesting it. People tend to complain about the crowding, but this doesn't mean that they don't want people to improve themselves.

It doesn't even mean that they don't like newbies.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nah brah never seen it, must just be you and your gym.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    It was rough right after New Year's, but then we had a ridiculously cold/windy/icy spell and most of the newcomers gave up. There are a few new faces at my gym that have made it this far and I'm rooting for them so hard!

This is a good attitude.

Let's face it; we all know that -- statistically speaking -- the new year's resolutioners tend to peter out in a few weeks. This should come as no surprise; after all, deciding to wait until after the holiday feasting isn't exactly a mark of firm resolve. This is one thing that differentiates the resolutioners from mere newbies.

Having said that, some of the resolutioners do manage to stick it out. Not many, but some do... and we can always hope that more of them will!
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a huge growth of people at my gym. Whether I go at 6:00 in the morning, 6:00 in the evening or 9:00 am on a Saturday. Majority of the new faces are in the cardio section. I have seen very few new faces in the free weight section or the machines section. I am really rooting for a lot of the new faces to stick it out. I was once a newbie too. :)