Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    You're welcome. I wrote a blog on skepticism for 6 years. lol

Your skin must be crawling right now.
    lol. I usually shy away from this stuff now... because, well, you can't teach critical thinking unless the party is interested in learning.

Slow night last night.
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sightings aren't always visual. But they happen too many times, too many places and circumstances just to be a brainwashing of some sort. My initial sense Mom was here was smell. I could smell the same brand cigarette smoke she used. No one smokes here I smell it nonetheless. For only 1-2 breaths. This smell never absorbs into fabrics. It's ghost smoke. Always preceded Mom's visit.
    I'm not interested in proving things to you what I KNOW happened to me. You have obviously already made up your mind already.
    So you won't take Randi's challenge? Make a cool million. Why am I not surprised?

And please, keep that bit of projection to yourself. I'm the only one, the skeptic mind you, that has offered a way for your psychic abilities and the existence of ghosts to be verified in a laboratory setting. I haven't read any believers offering that.

• turtlez23
    turtlez23 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    No - I don't.

But I also won't say Bloody Mary three times in the mirror, either.

I'm a conundrum ;)

HaHa!!!
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    pareidolia.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I now know the correct terminology for this. Thanks.

Sure. But do you know how to pronounce it? :neutral_face:

Yep. You have too if you're podcasting about it.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Sightings aren't always visual. But they happen too many times, too many places and circumstances just to be a brainwashing of some sort. My initial sense Mom was here was smell. I could smell the same brand cigarette smoke she used. No one smokes here I smell it nonetheless. For only 1-2 breaths. This smell never absorbs into fabrics. It's ghost smoke. Always preceded Mom's visit.
    I'm not interested in proving things to you what I KNOW happened to me. You have obviously already made up your mind already.
    So you won't take Randi's challenge? Make a cool million.

Why am I not surprised.

Notice the appeal to emotion fallacy she utilizes. She smelled her Mom's smoke, even though its scientifically impossible. You can't tell her that...She smelled it. End of story.

These kinds of threads are difficult, people want to believe in unicorns...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    pareidolia.

Lol, my aunt can't say hippopotamus. She's an electrical engineer and knows what a hippopotamus is.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

edited January 2015
    Options
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    So you won't take Randi's challenge? Make a cool million.

Why am I not surprised.

Notice the appeal to emotion fallacy she utilizes. She smelled her Mom's smoke, even though its scientifically impossible. You can't tell her that...She smelled it. End of story.

These kinds of threads are difficult, people want to believe in unicorns...
    I am not sure if its "scientifically impossible" that she smelled her mom's smoke, but something like that makes it scientifically impossible to test.

The more likely explanation is she had just a strong memory because she really misses her mom. And that's very human and I get that, but emotions are also something that interferes with the level of empiricism involved. Heck, innocent people go to death row because human memory is fallible.
    Options
    pareidolia.

Yep. You have too if you're podcasting about it.

I meant NinerBuff actually. But since you mentioned it, do you have a link to one of those podcasts? I'd like to know if your voice sounds as Alpha as your posts, ha ha ha! (just kidding :wink: )
    Oh, yes, you are correct. Sorry for that - didn't mean to hijack that.

Nope... I pulled them down years ago. They weren't very good in retrospect.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    No, but sometimes it's enjoyable to think it's possible -- like accepting the premise of a movie, for example.
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Heck, people go to death row because human memory is fallible.

The above is sad but true.

I have yet to hone my powers of skepticism to a Samurai degree but I'm more skeptical than most, I think. It's a safeguard, in my opinion, and consequently, a valuable characteristic.
    I think it was Carl Sagan who said something like that skepticism is as important when buying a car as it was when buying a chariot. :D
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I believe in mysticism and spirituality.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely!