Eating right & excersing, but gaining weight

Options

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    From what i see is the average indeed 2300 but exercising between 500 and 1000 next to that.
    Means to me eating in calories deficit>>> which gives results in weight loss. Nothing magical there.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

I am the living proof it matters. I lost 50 pounds eating 2500 calories a day as a 45 year old man. Period. End of discussion.
    As much as I hesitate to enter the fray here...I've lost 70 pounds as a 48 year old woman and my TDEE is 2600. That's with a grand total of 3 hours of exercise a week...half resistance training and half cardio. I lost it simply by eating smaller portions of the food I've always eaten, just in the proper portions. You make it sound like your age should make it impossible to lose weight at that calorie level (giving you the benefit of the doubt there). I can tell you that when I hit maintenance and increased my calories, I still lost weight at 2500 too.
    I'm not going to enter the discussion of the merits of any particular type of diet. Same as you, I just know what worked for me. Portion control/calorie counting does not equal starving yourself. I was never hungry during my loss and the only changes I made were to try and get enough protein and fiber.

Ya, that dude doesn't even acknowledge us women in his age bracket who have lost more weight than him eating the same, if not more calories than him without having to eliminate foods. Shrugs shoulders. At this stage, I liken his contributions to this conversation as convincing as foil-hat wearing conspiracy theorists.

Funny stuff. I cannot wait to post the pre and post results. What a joke.

You know what - you yourself, have acknowledged you were NOT tracking your caloric intake so I care less about your pre and post results. You have NO proof that you were NOT eating at a deficit. None at all. So good for you, you lost weight following a particular method - yay, you! You did so with a deficit. Science friend. Embrace it!

But yawn, you have only been told this how many times now???

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    zakkiwakki wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Oh man......look at the "experts" on the list ^^^^^^^

Pro tip: spend less time googling.

If you read the part below it says quite categorically, Read the material referenced in these books. Have you? Have you really gone through it all? There's a lot of extremely well educated and highly qualified people who's work is referenced in just those few books
    I'm going to pass on fear mongering. Try again.

You are part of the problem. Maybe you are on MFP's payroll because the only way MFP can make it is with people like you who believe starvation = true fat loss. It's about the fat.

I'm 161lbs and I eat 2100 calories to lose. I'm not starving, kthx.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    From what i see is the average indeed 2300 but exercising between 500 and 1000 next to that.
    Means to me eating in calories deficit>>> which gives results in weight loss. Nothing magical there.

Oh, he thinks he has stumbled upon some revolutionary approach to weight loss because he was not tracking calories but just eliminating foods. Dude is funny.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    lol yeah i am doing it wrong all the time now. Maybe i would have lost more than the 60 pounds till now if i did his method.

Dang now i am disappointed>>>>>>>>>>>>>NOT!
  • shaynataggart
    shaynataggart Posts: 71 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There is of course always the concern of not actually eating enough and going into starvation mode, especially if you are exercises regularly and not keeping track. You may not be taking into account the more of a calorie defect you are creating and thus not eating any of those extra calories your exercise has allotted. It may actually be working against you, especially if you are building muscle and burning more calories daily.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

I am the living proof it matters. I lost 50 pounds eating 2500 calories a day as a 45 year old man. Period. End of discussion.
    As much as I hesitate to enter the fray here...I've lost 70 pounds as a 48 year old woman and my TDEE is 2600. That's with a grand total of 3 hours of exercise a week...half resistance training and half cardio. I lost it simply by eating smaller portions of the food I've always eaten, just in the proper portions. You make it sound like your age should make it impossible to lose weight at that calorie level (giving you the benefit of the doubt there). I can tell you that when I hit maintenance and increased my calories, I still lost weight at 2500 too.
    I'm not going to enter the discussion of the merits of any particular type of diet. Same as you, I just know what worked for me. Portion control/calorie counting does not equal starving yourself. I was never hungry during my loss and the only changes I made were to try and get enough protein and fiber.

Ya, that dude doesn't even acknowledge us women in his age bracket who have lost more weight than him eating the same, if not more calories than him without having to eliminate foods. Shrugs shoulders. At this stage, I liken his contributions to this conversation as convincing as foil-hat wearing conspiracy theorists.

We don't care about your blood work pre and post results. We want to see your before and after PICTURES.
  • ana3067
    Options
    I don't take pics of me because I don't have to. I am going to my medical file public when I go in for my physical and demonstrate the before and after through weight. Then I am going to make my PBFs public so you can feel humiliated further. At that point, what will your responses be - "I am not on the payroll"???

I am one of those most honest people on Earth. I don't need to post pics to prove it. What you see is what you get. Go find your hole and sit in it.

@tedboosalis7‌ You do realize that the only person who should feel humiliated is you, right? You continue to humiliate yourself by claiming you lost weight while you were not in a calorie deficit.

Oh of course! I am the one who lost 50 pounds and is down to just below 170#, gained muscle, and lost PBF to normal levels.

DUH!!!! WTF!

So you first went on a calorie deficit without purposely tracking your intake? Check, weight loss.
    You then went on a calorie surplus in order to gain muscle mass, and thus increase your weight? I'm guessing not.

BalCalories2.png
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I don't take pics of me because I don't have to. I am going to my medical file public when I go in for my physical and demonstrate the before and after through weight. Then I am going to make my PBFs public so you can feel humiliated further. At that point, what will your responses be - "I am not on the payroll"???

I am one of those most honest people on Earth. I don't need to post pics to prove it. What you see is what you get. Go find your hole and sit in it.

@tedboosalis7‌ You do realize that the only person who should feel humiliated is you, right? You continue to humiliate yourself by claiming you lost weight while you were not in a calorie deficit.

Oh of course! I am the one who lost 50 pounds and is down to just below 170#, gained muscle, and lost PBF to normal levels.

DUH!!!! WTF!

So you first went on a calorie deficit without purposely tracking your intake? Check, weight loss.
    You then went on a calorie surplus in order to gain muscle mass, and thus increase your weight? I'm guessing not.

BalCalories2.png

Hopefully this image will help him understand and knock some sense into him. Maybe he is a visual person.
  • shaynataggart
    shaynataggart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just because you are not losing doesn't necessarily mean it's because you are over eating. You may actually be under eating.
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Rather than criticize or blindly comment, can I see what your diary looks like? Friend me. I can use a new friend. Oh and I don't check diaries of others frequently....too much of my own crap to worry about. LOL
  • ana3067
    Options

DUH!!!! WTF!

You are down 50 lbs because you were in a calorie deficit.

http://livehealthy.chron.com/big-calorie-deficit-needed-lose-weight-1356.html

"When it comes to weight loss, calories are king. It doesn’t matter if you’re following a low-fat, low-carbohydrate or glycemic index diet, if you eat too many calories, you won’t lose weight. Successful weight loss depends on creating a calorie deficit, which occurs when you expend more calories than you consume."

Nope. I ate the right foods and made sure I was full and exercised. There was no deficit and no deprivation. Incorrect. Move along, nothing to see here.
    giphy.gif

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    There is of course always the concern of not actually eating enough and going into starvation mode, especially if you are exercises regularly and not keeping track. You may not be taking into account the more of a calorie defect you are creating and thus not eating any of those extra calories your exercise has allotted. It may actually be working against you, especially if you are building muscle and burning more calories daily.

Starvation mode is a myth.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    Hey, if everyone in this thread would take a deep breath and pause for a moment, here is an interesting, relevant fact: a 2005 report from the Institute of Medicine noted that observational studies (not estimates) showed that the average male between the ages of 19 and 50 expended over 3,000 calories a day. The average female in the same age bracket expended over 2,400 calories a day. (Source: Marion Nestle and Malden Nesheim, Why Calories Count: From Science to Politics [Berkeley: University of California Press, 2012], p. 80, table 12, summarizing the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy [Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2005].)

Given these figures, and what people report eating, it might seem surprising that there's an obesity problem at all. The reason there is, as Nestle and Nesheim also point out, is that most people significantly underestimate their calorie intake, as many studies have shown, to the point where a number of prominent researchers have suggested that it is time to stop using self-reported energy intake in scientific research, because it is so bad.

My takeaway is that it's best to be consistent in how you log, even if it's not accurate, and to adjust your goal downward until you achieve reasonable weight loss without excessive deprivation. Don't put too much reliance on the actual numbers.

but isn't the average person overweight? This is circular. It's more interesting to hear what the average person within a healthy weight expends.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Just because you are not losing doesn't necessarily mean it's because you are over eating. You may actually be under eating.

Can someone please explain to me how undereating will make you stall or gain weight?? I read this over and over....

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

What do the results of your physical have to do with the results that other people get without resorting to depriving themselves of any food groups? Did you miss the part where they are consuming more calories than you?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

wait what..OP is underrating and that is why she is not losing weigh????

what…?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    the pseudo science in this thread is amazing…

• ndj1979
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

DUH!!!! WTF!

BalCalories2.png

Hopefully this image will help him understand and knock some sense into him. Maybe he is a visual person.

something tells me that is not going to help at all ….