Eating right & excersing, but gaining weight

Options

Replies

• madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have that uncomfortable feeling of a religious fanatic knocking on your door trying to convert you?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Does anyone else have that uncomfortable feeling of a religious fanatic knocking on your door trying to convert you?

Reminds me of Jehovah's witnesses who constantly ring my door bell…

ETA: Nothing against them. Just not interested in converting.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    zakkiwakki wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Oh man......look at the "experts" on the list ^^^^^^^

Pro tip: spend less time googling.

If you read the part below it says quite categorically, Read the material referenced in these books. Have you? Have you really gone through it all? There's a lot of extremely well educated and highly qualified people who's work is referenced in just those few books
    I'm going to pass on fear mongering. Try again.

You are part of the problem. Maybe you are on MFP's payroll because the only way MFP can make it is with people like you who believe starvation = true fat loss. It's about the fat.

What? I'm starving....news to me. I guess I'm gonna go take my average intake of 1835 and go starve now.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Hey, if everyone in this thread would take a deep breath and pause for a moment, here is an interesting, relevant fact: a 2005 report from the Institute of Medicine noted that observational studies (not estimates) showed that the average male between the ages of 19 and 50 expended over 3,000 calories a day. The average female in the same age bracket expended over 2,400 calories a day. (Source: Marion Nestle and Malden Nesheim, Why Calories Count: From Science to Politics [Berkeley: University of California Press, 2012], p. 80, table 12, summarizing the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy [Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2005].)

Given these figures, and what people report eating, it might seem surprising that there's an obesity problem at all. The reason there is, as Nestle and Nesheim also point out, is that most people significantly underestimate their calorie intake, as many studies have shown, to the point where a number of prominent researchers have suggested that it is time to stop using self-reported energy intake in scientific research, because it is so bad.

My takeaway is that it's best to be consistent in how you log, even if it's not accurate, and to adjust your goal downward until you achieve reasonable weight loss without excessive deprivation. Don't put too much reliance on the actual numbers.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Chronic insomnia, exercise overload, thyroid... There are other reasons for gaining weight even at a deficit.

Aren't you the same one who claimed you became dehydrated by drinking more than 8-10 cups of water a day? :|

Yes. It was not a claim. Would you like to see the hospital record? (*_(@$%%^)
  • madrose0715
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    Hey, if everyone in this thread would take a deep breath and pause for a moment, here is an interesting, relevant fact: a 2005 report from the Institute of Medicine noted that observational studies (not estimates) showed that the average male between the ages of 19 and 50 expended over 3,000 calories a day. The average female in the same age bracket expended over 2,400 calories a day. (Source: Marion Nestle and Malden Nesheim, Why Calories Count: From Science to Politics [Berkeley: University of California Press, 2012], p. 80, table 12, summarizing the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy [Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2005].)

Given these figures, and what people report eating, it might seem surprising that there's an obesity problem at all. The reason there is, as Nestle and Nesheim also point out, is that most people significantly underestimate their calorie intake, as many studies have shown, to the point where a number of prominent researchers have suggested that it is time to stop using self-reported energy intake in scientific research, because it is so bad.

My takeaway is that it's best to be consistent in how you log, even if it's not accurate, and to adjust your goal downward until you achieve reasonable weight loss without excessive deprivation. Don't put too much reliance on the actual numbers.

Agree.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Chronic insomnia, exercise overload, thyroid... There are other reasons for gaining weight even at a deficit.

Aren't you the same one who claimed you became dehydrated by drinking more than 8-10 cups of water a day? :|

You can't become dehydrated by drinking water. You become dehydrated when you don't drink water or enough water. You can flush out electrolytes if you drink too much, which is what I assume happened but somehow you interpreted it as being dehydrated.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Avoiding carbs? is there a specific reason for that?
    Back on page 2, in the post I made there, I gave a link to a blog post which has quotes from & links to studies showing that a lower-carb & higher-protein diet leads to more weight loss.
    removing carbs for a long time isnt good for your thyroid and can actually lead to weight gain
    o.O
    Where did you get those ideas?
    Why do you think carbs have an effect on the thyroid?
    Why do you think eating low-carb would lead to weight gain? (Assuming the person isn't overeating any other calorie sources.)

• shyamcn
    shyamcn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Phew..quite a discussion here! :open_mouth:

Hope this doesn't get buried in the deluge of opinions. I've created my deficit off of this plan/calculator http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/ and not MFP's recommendations (which weren't too far off from my calculations anyway). My drop has been steady when combined with a good moderate exercise scheme (I prefer calisthenics over strength training because of its functional movements and because I'd like to give parkour a try someday! :) ).

The important point to take away is to move more, underestimate calorie burnt through exercise and to overestimate intake whenever necessary. Worked for me and it will surely work for anyone else. If a certain deficit seems not to work, increase the deficit after a couple weeks. Once you plateau, recalculate with new bodyweight. Best way out there really.

PS: Adding to the water discussion, drinking too much water leads to low levels of sodium which is bad for muscles and can lead to "perceived" dehydration. Hyponatremia - http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=47388
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

You can't become dehydrated by drinking water. You become dehydrated when you don't drink water or enough water. You can flush out electrolytes if you drink too much, which is what I assume happened but somehow you interpreted it as being dehydrated.

I got dehydrated while consuming vast quantities of water due to undiagnosed celiac disease because I wasn't absorbing it, and well... celiac effects... but dehydration from drinking water??? I don't get it.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

I got dehydrated while consuming vast quantities of water due to undiagnosed celiac disease because I wasn't absorbing it, and well... celiac effects... but dehydration from drinking water??? I don't get it.

Agreed! It's not possible. I think her electrolytes were low from drinking too much water and that's why they gave her an IV to replenish lost electrolytes.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Not all calories are the same.
    And a note to all those who are saying a calorie is a calorie try reading this report on thermogenic effect of high protein diets.
    You're talking about 2 different things.
    If you burn a calorie of twinkie, it will raise 1g of water 1 degree C.
    If you burn a calorie of shrimp, it will raise 1g of water 1 degree C.

They take different amounts of energy (calories) to process in the body, so putting 100 calories of twinkies in your stomach might end with it appearing like you ate 90 (just to make up a number), but putting 100 calories of shrimp in your stomach would end up appearing like you ate 75.

As for that webmd article...
    "New research challenges the idea that a calorie is a calorie, suggesting that certain foods and diets may be better than others for burning calories and helping people maintain weight loss."

Those are, again, two different concepts.
    1" = 1", 1 cup = 1cup, 1 calorie = 1 calorie.
    The body may handle them differently, but they will all raise 1g of water 1 degree C.
    That's the definition of a calorie.
    I didn't eat a "calorie deficit" per se - I just stopped eating bad foods and ate ALL good foods.
    Explain, please, what makes a food "good" or "bad" in your opinion.
    There are foods which are more healthy, more nutrient-dense, and we should eat more of those.
    There are foods which are less healthy, more inclined to lead us to overeat (esp. on things like sugar, fat, or sodium), and we should eat less of those.
    I wasn't in deficit. You don't get it. The body can't metabolize foods
    If you weren't eating at a calorie deficit, you would not have lost weight.
    You don't get to break the laws of physics.
    And what exactly do you mean by "the body can't metabolize foods"???? How do you think you (or any of us) not only live, but got to be overweight? We metabolize foods (other than dietary / insoluble fiber).
    2500 calories a day. Wasn't working out to 1000 calories to make up for a 1500 BMR.
    Your BMR is what you need simply to survive. If you you were lying in the hospital in a coma that's what you'd need.
    Then consider how much you burn by whatever you do during the day: cooking, taking a shower, walking around the office, exercise if you do it...
    Don't eat these foods. Doesn't matter what your calorie deficit is if you are eating foods that store as fat immediately.
    Don't listen to these fools on here thinking you can eat in moderation any kind of food that causes your body to metabolize the food into fat immediately.
    Which foods "store as fat immediately"? Would that be fats, such as oil, lard, tallow...?
  • madrose0715
    edited January 2015
    Options

I am the living proof it matters. I lost 50 pounds eating 2500 calories a day as a 45 year old man. Period. End of discussion.
    As much as I hesitate to enter the fray here...I've lost 70 pounds as a 48 year old woman and my TDEE is 2600. That's with a grand total of 3 hours of exercise a week...half resistance training and half cardio. I lost it simply by eating smaller portions of the food I've always eaten, just in the proper portions. You make it sound like your age should make it impossible to lose weight at that calorie level (giving you the benefit of the doubt there). I can tell you that when I hit maintenance and increased my calories, I still lost weight at 2500 too.
    I'm not going to enter the discussion of the merits of any particular type of diet. Same as you, I just know what worked for me. Portion control/calorie counting does not equal starving yourself. I was never hungry during my loss and the only changes I made were to try and get enough protein and fiber.

Ya, that dude doesn't even acknowledge us women in his age bracket who have lost more weight than him eating the same, if not more calories than him without having to eliminate foods. Shrugs shoulders. At this stage, I liken his contributions to this conversation as convincing as foil-hat wearing conspiracy theorists.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options

I am the living proof it matters. I lost 50 pounds eating 2500 calories a day as a 45 year old man. Period. End of discussion.
    As much as I hesitate to enter the fray here...I've lost 70 pounds as a 48 year old woman and my TDEE is 2600. That's with a grand total of 3 hours of exercise a week...half resistance training and half cardio. I lost it simply by eating smaller portions of the food I've always eaten, just in the proper portions. You make it sound like your age should make it impossible to lose weight at that calorie level (giving you the benefit of the doubt there). I can tell you that when I hit maintenance and increased my calories, I still lost weight at 2500 too.
    I'm not going to enter the discussion of the merits of any particular type of diet. Same as you, I just know what worked for me. Portion control/calorie counting does not equal starving yourself. I was never hungry during my loss and the only changes I made were to try and get enough protein and fiber.

Ya, that dude doesn't even acknowledge us women in his age bracket who have lost more weight than him eating the same, if not more calories than him without having to eliminate foods. Shrugs shoulders. At this stage, I liken his contributions to this conversation as convincing as foil-hat wearing conspiracy theorists.

Funny stuff. I cannot wait to post the pre and post results. What a joke.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    moto450 wrote: »
    Zakkiwaki, you do realize you are using a calorie counting app, right? I think your method is probably great, but people who use MFP have lost weight by counting calories because that's the premise its built on. I have lost a lot of weight from counting and stand by it. I don't fault you for your method, but you will likely continually be challenged on this app if you continue to post non-calorie counting advice because counting calories is why we are here honestly. That's all I wanted to say. No further comments from me.

Actually some of us are here to count our macros in grams as opposed to just calories. It's just that MFP must always show the calories. ;)

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I didn't eat a "calorie deficit" per se - I just stopped eating bad foods and ate ALL good foods. I was eating THREE large Haas avocados a day and I was NOT on MFP like y'all are trying to lose weight. I am on it now but already had lost 35 pounds and I was eating 20 oz of salmon a DAY. Eating steamed veggies in BULK. Eating fruit in BULK. I'll bet I was eating up to 2500 cals a day - prior to getting into weight training in July. Not only that, I was actually exercising LESS than I am now - I was burning less calories and not doing as much HIIT in that same time frame.

3 avocados - 900 cals - add 20 oz of salmon - that's another 1000 cals - that's just two foods. Add in fruit and veggies and nuts. Get it?

So if you lost all this weight with only doing paleo, why join MFP? Did you stop losing weight? Because the bigger you are the more you bur and the easier to create a deficit.

And if it makes you feel better i lose at 2500 calories and i have a desk job. Looking at your diary, you seem to average 2300 calories so that is average for what most guys i know are losing at.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Here you go...

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/do-calories-matter

Good luck to y'all who think it doesn't matter. It does matter.

I'm sure someone already siad this, but that means then that your TDEE was above 2500 calories. Or you were overestimating how much you ate on average and actually ate less than that.

CICO. Everything else about what you eat is purely for sanity, satiety, endurance, body comp, health, etc purposes.