Options

Replies

• Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I wasn't in deficit. You don't get it. The body can't metabolize foods
    ana3067 wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    I will give you the empirical evidence, me. I did what this person said to the "T" and lost 50 pounds while exercising. I eat a very nutrient-dense diet and won't turn back ever again to sweets and processed foods. It works - now the weight slowly comes off (since I am just below 170) and I am full of energy and life! Why change what works.

Not all calories are the same. Each work in a different manner metabolically. Each person is metabolically different. The best adjustment to make is to eliminate marginal foods to the point where the weight comes off, then keep eating those foods that allow for true weight loss.

Paleo works and it's super healthy. Never heard of a doctor state to me directly that eating veggies, olive oil, nuts, low GI fruits, and lean meats is a bad idea. Actually, that's exactly what they would want you to eat. Lose the processed sugar and you will be free.

Not really the evidence I was looking for. I'd also love to read the science behind your second paragraph, again, not the physiology, but in the context of weight loss benefits over other methods.

You are correct, there is absolutely no reason to change what works. For you.

You lost 50lbs because you ate at a calories deficit. You are no different to any other human being. You chose to do it by eliminating food groups and being restrictive. I lost 50 or so lbs by eating a balanced non-restrictive flexible diet. I also lost weight because I ate at a calorie deficit. It's all the same, just wrapped up in different clothing.

I'm also not sure what true weight loss is, maybe all non paleo weight loss is make believe?

I didn't eat a "calorie deficit" per se - I just stopped eating bad foods and ate ALL good foods. I was eating THREE large Haas avocados a day and I was NOT on MFP like y'all are trying to lose weight. I am on it now but already had lost 35 pounds and I was eating 20 oz of salmon a DAY. Eating steamed veggies in BULK. Eating fruit in BULK. I'll bet I was eating up to 2500 cals a day - prior to getting into weight training in July. Not only that, I was actually exercising LESS than I am now - I was burning less calories and not doing as much HIIT in that same time frame.

3 avocados - 900 cals - add 20 oz of salmon - that's another 1000 cals - that's just two foods. Add in fruit and veggies and nuts. Get it?

And by eating this way you created a deficit without meaning to.

Many veggies, even in bulk, are not that high calorie. Some fruit are naturally lower in calories than others.

You "bet" you were eating that much, but for all you know you weren't. Or you were but your TDEE at the time was high enough due to your excess weight to be able to lose on 2500 calories. 566g (20oz) of salmon is around 1100 calories if you are weighing it cooked, and this would be VERY filling. I eat usually around 150g for a typical salmon serving (cooked weight) and that can easily fill me up for a good while.

So, you are not a special snowflake, you didn't uncover some magical weight loss secret. You ate at a caloric deficit without meaning to. I did as well when I was 19 and "ate clean."

How was I not eating that much. I ate those foods every freaking day. 2500 calories a day. Wasn't working out to 1000 calories to make up for a 1500 BMR. What part of the science here don't you get. Previous year I was working out and burning close to 1000 calories a day and frustrated the weight wouldn't come off - because I didn't change my diet for the better.

Here's a video to share. Don't eat these foods. Doesn't matter what your calorie deficit is if you are eating foods that store as fat immediately.

Don't listen to these fools on here thinking you can eat in moderation any kind of food that causes your body to metabolize the food into fat immediately. They don't get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APHDrYEHQaY
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    For everyone who has posted along the lines of "are you actually eating more than you think" "are you actually creating a caloric deficit" "are you sure you have counted your calories properly" No. yes. yes. I've been counting for 5 years now, took a break when I got pregnant with baby #3 & now my body seems to be rejecting any dieting. I follow the 1410 calories that have been suggested by MFP & push to stay under, since my basal metabolic rate is in the 1500's I stay under anyway. I normally don't track my workouts to ensure I'm creating a deficit, because I don't like how the app automatically gives you "extra" calories. I follow the eat ever 2-3 hours rule & eat small, ie hard boiled egg white, banana etc. Also, I do my best to avoid processed food, more because I enjoy the taste of homemade than for health benefits & since I'm a house wife, there's really no reason for me to opt for processed. Most of the meals I cook do not require any oils, and I avoid carbs & starches. So, now that that's all out of the way, if anyone has any tips or ideas [that aren't just questioning my ability to keep track of what I'm doing] I'd be glad to hear them.

When I read "I eat eggs" , "I avoid carbs" I undersood what is wrong, your body,your brain runs on glucose,you need it,there is plenty of protein in soy,tofu,grains,beans etc. etc. and everything u need in plant-based food if u eat enough. You might not be using oils but do u know how much cholesterol and saturated fats there is in eggs and meat ? You need more fiber to cleance your body and drink at least 2L of water a day. You might not be losing weight because of stress or if you don't get enough sleep. So my suggestion is : eat more veggies,fruits and grains,try to substitute white bread,pasta and rice with brown,make smoothies,cut the salt,drink more geen tea. For example: For breakfast you can have rolled oat flakes (prepared with water) they have lots of fiber and protein if you want you can add a banana ( this is around 450cal for 130 g of oatmeal +100 cal from the banana) for lunch : some salad (green cabbage keeps u full u can add carrots and cucumber to it) and for dinner you can have gluten free pasta with tomato sause or beans.

These recommendations are as baseless is as are those to eat paleo. There's no need to avoid gluten unless you have celiac disease. Veganism is a personal choice, usually based on either deep ethical concerns or advanced heart disease.

I say this as a vegetarian with celiac disease. There's nothing to be gained weight-loss-wise by unnecessarily restricting food groups.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    I will give you the empirical evidence, me. I did what this person said to the "T" and lost 50 pounds while exercising. I eat a very nutrient-dense diet and won't turn back ever again to sweets and processed foods. It works - now the weight slowly comes off (since I am just below 170) and I am full of energy and life! Why change what works.

Not all calories are the same. Each work in a different manner metabolically. Each person is metabolically different. The best adjustment to make is to eliminate marginal foods to the point where the weight comes off, then keep eating those foods that allow for true weight loss.

Paleo works and it's super healthy. Never heard of a doctor state to me directly that eating veggies, olive oil, nuts, low GI fruits, and lean meats is a bad idea. Actually, that's exactly what they would want you to eat. Lose the processed sugar and you will be free.

Not really the evidence I was looking for. I'd also love to read the science behind your second paragraph, again, not the physiology, but in the context of weight loss benefits over other methods.

You lost 50lbs because you ate at a calories deficit. You are no different to any other human being. You chose to do it by eliminating food groups and being restrictive. I lost 50 or so lbs by eating a balanced non-restrictive flexible diet. I also lost weight because I ate at a calorie deficit. It's all the same, just wrapped up in different clothing.

I'm also not sure what true weight loss is, maybe all non paleo weight loss is make believe?

I didn't eat a "calorie deficit" per se - I just stopped eating bad foods and ate ALL good foods. I was eating THREE large Haas avocados a day and I was NOT on MFP like y'all are trying to lose weight. I am on it now but already had lost 35 pounds and I was eating 20 oz of salmon a DAY. Eating steamed veggies in BULK. Eating fruit in BULK. I'll bet I was eating up to 2500 cals a day - prior to getting into weight training in July. Not only that, I was actually exercising LESS than I am now - I was burning less calories and not doing as much HIIT in that same time frame.

3 avocados - 900 cals - add 20 oz of salmon - that's another 1000 cals - that's just two foods. Add in fruit and veggies and nuts. Get it?

Many veggies, even in bulk, are not that high calorie. Some fruit are naturally lower in calories than others.

You "bet" you were eating that much, but for all you know you weren't. Or you were but your TDEE at the time was high enough due to your excess weight to be able to lose on 2500 calories. 566g (20oz) of salmon is around 1100 calories if you are weighing it cooked, and this would be VERY filling. I eat usually around 150g for a typical salmon serving (cooked weight) and that can easily fill me up for a good while.

So, you are not a special snowflake, you didn't uncover some magical weight loss secret. You ate at a caloric deficit without meaning to. I did as well when I was 19 and "ate clean."

How was I not eating that much. I ate those foods every freaking day. 2500 calories a day. Wasn't working out to 1000 calories to make up for a 1500 BMR. What part of the science here don't you get. Previous year I was working out and burning close to 1000 calories a day and frustrated the weight wouldn't come off - because I didn't change my diet for the better.

Here's a video to share. Don't eat these foods. Doesn't matter what your calorie deficit is if you are eating foods that store as fat immediately.

Don't listen to these fools on here thinking you can eat in moderation any kind of food that causes your body to metabolize the food into fat immediately. They don't get it.

Metabolize food into fat immediately???? LOL okay.

Working out to 1000 calories? Really?

And you are still confusing your BMR and your TDEE.

As for what part of the "science" we don't get? There is nothing about anything you are saying that resembles science. You never measured your calories you don't know how much you were eating.

• PeachyCarol
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I spent all summer thinking my exercise was putting me at a calorie deficit, but it wasn't because I was eating more than I realized. Logging calories helps keep you honest. If you aren't good at eyeballing your portion sizes, weighing and measuring your food helps. (Just don't expect it to give you a more accurate calorie count than what's on the package.) But one of the easiest things to do is to simply eat less. You have a concept of what you are eating, so if you're gaining, reduce it.

Just how much packaged food do you eat? Please, enough with the "weighing not being as accurate" stuff. Since a good part of most people's diets comes from produce and meats, and you know... fresh food... it should be weighed. Liquids should be measured.
    Agreed. Also, I have weighed some foods with weights on the packet. A "150 g" chicken breast can be anything from 125 to 225 g, with varying %of water. "80 g" bananas usually weigh 100 - 125 g, "150 g" apples are often more like 180 g.

Considering that it is illegal for a store to mislabel a package of chicken, you might want to get your scale recalibrated.

Package weights are only averages.
    Only the quantity of food in the container or package is stated in the net quantity statement. Do not include the weight of the container, or wrappers and packing materials. To determine the net weight, subtract the average weight of the empty container, lid and any wrappers and packing materials from the average weight of the container when filled with food.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

Doesn't matter what your calorie deficit is if you are eating foods that store as fat immediately.

Can you please share some actual evidence that shows any of what you have said?

Actually don't, this is all getting a bit twilight zone.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    zakkiwakki wrote: »
    Give NO SUGAR, NO GRAINS, NO VEGETABLE OILS, NO FRUIT JUICE a try. Cook only in animal derived fats, lard, dripping etc, coconut oil or olive oil. Eat plenty of leafy green veg and a small quantity of fruit just to kill any sugar cravings you might have. Keep the protein and fat high and your carbs low. Limit dairy to only full fat products. Only eat when you're hungry. This means don't stick to breakfast, lunch, dinner. Read labels for added sugar. You need to fat adapt your body so that it burns fat not sugar (carbs). Don't panic if you feel like crap after a few days, that's your body switching over. Within a week you'll start to feel like you have more energy and clearer thoughts. As a result of using this diet, after trying just about every other diet out there and getting frustrated, my doctor has taken me off blood pressure tablets and statins and I've lost 12.5kg in two months without once feeling hungry or lacking energy.

Pfff....bull....vegan is the way,high carb low fat and lots of exercise

What is this? Clash of the unnecessary diets?
    LOL
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

lol it is time to stop MFP'ing and interneting for a while….
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options
    Here you go...

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/do-calories-matter

Good luck to y'all who think it doesn't matter. It does matter.

I am the living proof it matters. I lost 50 pounds eating 2500 calories a day as a 45 year old man. Period. End of discussion.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Just how much packaged food do you eat?

Most of it, actually. Even meat comes in a package with a label that says how much it weighs. Fresh fruits and vegetables are often packaged. Since the company that packaged the food is weighing it with a scale that is calibrated by the government, why should I weigh it again with a scale that isn't?

Not if you buy meat from a butcher or veg/fruit from a market.

If you have 2 chicken breasts in a pack and the pack says it weighs 300g, doesn't mean each breast is 150g, one might be 120g the other 180g. So weighing food does make sense.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options
    Here you go...

I am the living proof it matters. I lost 50 pounds eating 2500 calories a day as a 45 year old man. Period. End of discussion.

HAHAHAA I get flagged for what, providing proof against all those on MFP who don't get the science and spew crap to someone wondering about why they are not losing the weight after exercising so much they question the gain?

Whatever... HAAHHAHAHA!!! Me thinks peeps are jealous.

Oh BTW - My diary is now open to the public for all to see. What do I have to hide? Nothing.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Here you go...

Go to pubmed and find a study that shows subjects that eat less than they burn and gain weight, then find another that shows subjects that eat more than they burn and lose weight.
  • zakkiwakki
    Options
    Message to all those on here who say I'm talking nonsense and to those that think I'm trying to sell something. "Contract" should have said "contact" darn predictive text.... I'm selling nothing. I have nothing to sell.

Here is a short list of books, written in the last few years that are filled with information, written by people who are medically qualified or who have actually taken the time to read the current scientific evidence. Who have spent years working with obesity and it's many health issues. They are not celebrities trying to sell the latest fad diets or jump around DVD:s we've all tried.

Gary Taubes..... Why we get fat.

Nina Teicholz... The big fat surprise

Dr Robert Lustig.. Fat Chance. The bitter truth about sugar.

David Perlmutter, MD... Grain Brain

Dr William Davis... Wheat Belly

Jonny Bowden Ph.D and Stephen Sinatra M.D. The Great Cholesterol Myth: Why Lowering Your Cholesterol Won't Prevent Heart Disease-and the Statin-Free Plan That Will

I could keep going but that should give you all enough to start getting to grips with. Follow up your research by reading the material that is referenced in these books. Don't just take their word as gospel. I certainly didn't and I learnt a whole lot more. My GP wasn't even aware of pattern A and pattern B LDL cholesterol. Are you?

For those that are questioning my exclusion of vegetable oils. Read this.

http://authoritynutrition.com/6-reasons-why-vegetable-oils-are-toxic/

There's huge amounts of evidence out there on this subject alone

And a note to all those who are saying a calorie is a calorie try reading this report on thermogenic effect of high protein diets.

http://www.colorado.edu/intphys/Class/IPHY3700_Greene/pdfs/discussionEssay/thermogenesisSatiety/HaltonProtein2004.pdf

For those that can't be bothered to read it. You will burn up to 30% of the calories just digesting the protein. So 100 calories of protein after digestion can be as low as only 70 calories. That's been known for a long time. 100 calories of glucose is 100 calories.

Here's another abstract for those low fat is the way to go types.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/145/1/177S.abstract

And a recent article in the telegraph in the UK all the way from an American university.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11246112/High-fat-diets-not-as-dangerous-as-high-carbohydrate-plans-claim-scientists.html

Just to upset the vegans and veggies. The human body can thrive on nothing but protein and fat. You will starve to death if you only consume carbohydrates. Doesn't that tell you something??? Before you shoot me down, educate yourself and check it out.

Google is your best tool. Get a Kindle and buy some books. NOT DIET BOOKS but books that will educate you how foods affect the body. Use it and educate yourself. Read current evidence not what you have been told for the last 30+ years. If a site is trying to sell you something, yes I'm looking at you weight watchers et al, move on and ignore the information given. Do alcoholics go to Carlsberg for the best advice? Do diabetics go to British Sugar for advice? I make exceptions for practicing doctors who are trying to educate people by selling a book.

The message of the last 40+ years has been low fat whole grains heart healthy. That seems to run exactly at the same time that obesity has risen. No alarm bells ringing yet? How about the fact that we use wholegrain to fatten up pigs for slaughter? No bells?

Try this experiment.... Drink a pint of double cream.... Bet you feel sick if you actually manage to drink it all that is.. The next day Drink the same amount of cream but add sugar. mmmm that is so yummy. It's best frozen of course with a chemical strawberry flavour added and called ice cream but the first mouthful will be as delicious as the last.

As more and more evidence comes to light surrounding the foods we are consuming and the effects they are having on our bodies hopefully soon we will stop eating all these refined carbs and processed foods we are being offered and get back to a diet that humans have evolved to eat. Meat and two veg with a few fruits thrown is as candy. No fat kids in my school back in the 60's and that what we all lived on.

Find a way of eating that puts you in a calorie deficit without being miserable and constantly craving sugary foods or feeling hungry and you'll lose weight. For me high fat, high protein low carbs is working and I eat way more calories than I should and I'm still losing weight at around 1kg a week. It's actually slowing as I near my target weight. I eat when I'm hungry and as for it being restrictive, there are literally hundreds of different foods I can eat. How many different foods do you actually eat?

• Hollywood_Porky
    Options
    I'll post my official numbers but why do I need pics. LOL! Again, now who's the vain one???? It's about science and numbers, not about pics. I have the proof and the medical advice to prove it.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options
    What do you guys want, my medical file? LOL!!! Seriously lame stuff here but wateva. When I go in for my physical (a day of victory for me), I can get you my numbers pre and post. BTW - what I do in my life is for the rest of it. That means it's not about "diet". It's about eating right and exercise and doing it consistently over the long-term. My profile is public - when the physical is done and I ask my doctor to what degree can we get medical facts in PDF in order, then you will have them. Cheers!!!