Eating right & excersing, but gaining weight

Options

Replies

• melissamayhart
    Options
    Can you open your diary please? It will really be helpful with giving you advice.

Also, if you're eating low calories because you're short, I know how it is. Ever calorie matters. I can also tell you that cups and teaspoons aren't anywhere near as accurate as a digital food scale.

I've only been back on MFP for about 2 months max, I'm not quite mentally ready to open food diary to the world. The only issue I have with buying a food scale is that for the first few weeks, measuring by cups worked for weightloss, I had been loosing 2lbs a week & now, I'm gaining, even though I'm following my same restrictions & diet. So I KNOW it can be done

How long have you been gaining?

It has been the last 2 weeks I've been gaining, which in retrospect, isn't a big deal, but the same thing happened in 2012, I started going to the gym 2 hours a night doing a mix of cardio & cross training, following clean eating & gained 15lbs between jan-march, did not lose inches either. Then same thing in 2013 during the same months. I was pregnant this time last year, but now this year, the same thing is happening. It can't be a coincidence
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    zakkiwakki wrote: »
    All of the advice I offered is backed by strong recent scientific evidence of the effects your insulin is having. If you're already cutting calories and exercising and seeing no weight reduction you need to control the insulin spikes. Insulin is the hormone that saves the food you eat as fat. You're probably insulin resistant and you need to correct that issue first. Carbs are just glucose and effect the insulin to a much larger extent than fat or protein. You might want to read up on the paleo lifestyle. It's sound solid advice and it works in harmony with your bodies natural evolution. If you want further above PM me. There'll be a lot of people on here who'll dispute the above I've given, but 12.5kg since November 23 without hunger pangs and without counting calories is evidence to me it works. I don't even go to the gym or work out.

As it's a slow Sunday I'd be interested to read some of the evidence, not in terms of the general physiological effects, but specifically in regards to fat loss benefits over other approaches. Can you point me in the right direction please?

On a general note I don't doubt that the approach mentioned above would work, but for me it's overly restrictive in terms of food, and restriction for me leads to failure. Myself, I eat a varied diet of moderate carb, moderate fat, and high protein, restricting nothing if it fits in to my calorie and macronutrient goals.

I've burnt through plenty of fat and have clear thought.

I will give you the empirical evidence, me. I did what this person said to the "T" and lost 50 pounds while exercising. I eat a very nutrient-dense diet and won't turn back ever again to sweets and processed foods. It works - now the weight slowly comes off (since I am just below 170) and I am full of energy and life! Why change what works.

Not all calories are the same. Each work in a different manner metabolically. Each person is metabolically different. The best adjustment to make is to eliminate marginal foods to the point where the weight comes off, then keep eating those foods that allow for true weight loss.

Paleo works and it's super healthy. Never heard of a doctor state to me directly that eating veggies, olive oil, nuts, low GI fruits, and lean meats is a bad idea. Actually, that's exactly what they would want you to eat. Lose the processed sugar and you will be free.
  • melissamayhart
    melissamayhart Posts: 9
    edited January 2015
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Did you watch that video I posted?

I did watch the video & I'll be passing it on to a friend whose been trying to loose for weeks without her scale even budging, she's about ready to throw in the towel (or become anorexic because she's so upset with the whole process)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary please? It will really be helpful with giving you advice.

Also, if you're eating low calories because you're short, I know how it is. Ever calorie matters. I can also tell you that cups and teaspoons aren't anywhere near as accurate as a digital food scale.

I've only been back on MFP for about 2 months max, I'm not quite mentally ready to open food diary to the world. The only issue I have with buying a food scale is that for the first few weeks, measuring by cups worked for weightloss, I had been loosing 2lbs a week & now, I'm gaining, even though I'm following my same restrictions & diet. So I KNOW it can be done

How long have you been gaining?

It has been the last 2 weeks I've been gaining, which in retrospect, isn't a big deal, but the same thing happened in 2012, I started going to the gym 2 hours a night doing a mix of cardio & cross training, following clean eating & gained 15lbs between jan-march, did not lose inches either. Then same thing in 2013 during the same months. I was pregnant this time last year, but now this year, the same thing is happening. It can't be a coincidence

It's water retention, that's all. It happens when you start a new exercise program, plus if your period is due soon, it's totally normal to gain weight beforehand. Going from no exercise to 2 hours a day is a big change.

Just stick to it... it will come off. It's scientifically impossible to start gaining fat on the same amount of calories that made you lose 2 pounds a week for months.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    All of the advice I offered is backed by strong recent scientific evidence of the effects your insulin is having. If you're already cutting calories and exercising and seeing no weight reduction you need to control the insulin spikes. Insulin is the hormone that saves the food you eat as fat. You're probably insulin resistant and you need to correct that issue first. Carbs are just glucose and effect the insulin to a much larger extent than fat or protein. You might want to read up on the paleo lifestyle. It's sound solid advice and it works in harmony with your bodies natural evolution. If you want further above PM me. There'll be a lot of people on here who'll dispute the above I've given, but 12.5kg since November 23 without hunger pangs and without counting calories is evidence to me it works. I don't even go to the gym or work out.

As it's a slow Sunday I'd be interested to read some of the evidence, not in terms of the general physiological effects, but specifically in regards to fat loss benefits over other approaches. Can you point me in the right direction please?

On a general note I don't doubt that the approach mentioned above would work, but for me it's overly restrictive in terms of food, and restriction for me leads to failure. Myself, I eat a varied diet of moderate carb, moderate fat, and high protein, restricting nothing if it fits in to my calorie and macronutrient goals.

I will give you the empirical evidence, me. I did what this person said to the "T" and lost 50 pounds while exercising. I eat a very nutrient-dense diet and won't turn back ever again to sweets and processed foods. It works - now the weight slowly comes off (since I am just below 170) and I am full of energy and life! Why change what works.

Not all calories are the same. Each work in a different manner metabolically. Each person is metabolically different. The best adjustment to make is to eliminate marginal foods to the point where the weight comes off, then keep eating those foods that allow for true weight loss.

Paleo works and it's super healthy. Never heard of a doctor state to me directly that eating veggies, olive oil, nuts, low GI fruits, and lean meats is a bad idea. Actually, that's exactly what they would want you to eat. Lose the processed sugar and you will be free.

The ONLY reason a way of eating works for weight loss is because of calorie deficit.

Some people need to tweak their macros because of medical conditions. Barring one of those, everything comes down to personal preference.

OP, have you been to your doctor?

Honestly without you opening your diary, without you being willing to get a food scale, there's really not much else to be said.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

And the kool-aid, don't forget to drink the kool-aid.

While I'm glad this diet works for you, you really didn't address the question. And you threw out some basic blah blah that is just downright wrong or incomplete.

In the context of a varied diet, exactly how does say a peach-calorie work different than a banana-calorie? After all, the "each work in a different manner metabolically", right?

or not.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    You've only been working out for 2 weeks? That's water retention because your muscles aren't used to being used that way. It goes away.

As for the last time, well, that's harder to say because "clean eating" doesn't mean much if it's still an excess of what you actually need to be in a deficit. I don't "eat clean" all the time and I still lose. Heck, I had a fudge brownie dessert with ice cream just a few days ago and still lost a pound this week.

So here's my suggestion: get a food scale and weigh all solids and measure all liquids using cups/measuring spoons, figure out how many calories you need daily and stick with it, do that daily and don't pay too much attention to the scale for about 6 weeks. Then see what the scale says. Your weight is going to fluctuate daily so if weighing daily is going to upset you, just don't do it.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Give NO SUGAR, NO GRAINS, NO VEGETABLE OILS, NO FRUIT JUICE a try. Cook only in animal derived fats, lard, dripping etc, coconut oil or olive oil. Eat plenty of leafy green veg and a small quantity of fruit just to kill any sugar cravings you might have. Keep the protein and fat high and your carbs low. Limit dairy to only full fat products. Only eat when you're hungry. This means don't stick to breakfast, lunch, dinner. Read labels for added sugar. You need to fat adapt your body so that it burns fat not sugar (carbs). Don't panic if you feel like crap after a few days, that's your body switching over. Within a week you'll start to feel like you have more energy and clearer thoughts. As a result of using this diet, after trying just about every other diet out there and getting frustrated, my doctor has taken me off blood pressure tablets and statins and I've lost 12.5kg in two months without once feeling hungry or lacking energy.
    While that's the route you went, it's not necessary for the average person. I have a client who has lost 90lbs (from 350lbs to 260lbs) by just reducing totally calories without having to give up what he likes to eat. He reduced his dosage on insulin, is no longer on blood pressure meds and more fit than he's been in in 20 years.
    Extremes like that aren't for everyone.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Options
    All of the advice I offered is backed by strong recent scientific evidence of the effects your insulin is having. If you're already cutting calories and exercising and seeing no weight reduction you need to control the insulin spikes. Insulin is the hormone that saves the food you eat as fat. You're probably insulin resistant and you need to correct that issue first. Carbs are just glucose and effect the insulin to a much larger extent than fat or protein. You might want to read up on the paleo lifestyle. It's sound solid advice and it works in harmony with your bodies natural evolution.There'll be a lot of people on here who'll dispute the above I've given, but 12.5kg since November 23 without hunger pangs and without counting calories is evidence to me it works. I don't even go to the gym or work out.

Insulin does a lot of things that people don't focus on.. it tells you when you are full and it helps build muscle. Additionally, do you realize that protein stimulates insulin and so does exercise. The only time insulin is an issue when you are resistant, which is a medical issue. Most of us can actually regulate insulin fairly easy.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    All of the advice I offered is backed by strong recent scientific evidence of the effects your insulin is having. If you're already cutting calories and exercising and seeing no weight reduction you need to control the insulin spikes. Insulin is the hormone that saves the food you eat as fat. You're probably insulin resistant and you need to correct that issue first. Carbs are just glucose and effect the insulin to a much larger extent than fat or protein. You might want to read up on the paleo lifestyle. It's sound solid advice and it works in harmony with your bodies natural evolution.There'll be a lot of people on here who'll dispute the above I've given, but 12.5kg since November 23 without hunger pangs and without counting calories is evidence to me it works. I don't even go to the gym or work out.
    I'm guessing you drink untreated water too? Weight loss comes down to CICO. No journal of medicine or science will dispute that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Options

Paleo only works if it puts you in a deficit. For me it was overly restrictive and caused me to binge and not lose weight for 6 months. It's not healthier than any other diet out there and it eliminates certain foods that can be very good for your health, like peanuts and whole grains. Personally, I have found much more success with moderation; 80 to 90% of my calories come from meats, fruits, veggies, milk/greek yogurt. And now I am at my low weight since high school (i'm 32).

OP, the general issues for lack of weight loss are:

1. inaccurate calorie loggin (no food scale)
    2. inaccurate logging (doesn't log every day)
    3. not enough time (you need to give things 4 to 6 weeks before you adjust)

I would ask though, how many calories are you eating?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    zakkiwakki wrote:
    Give NO SUGAR, NO GRAINS, NO VEGETABLE OILS, NO FRUIT JUICE a try.
    Cook only in animal derived fats, lard, dripping etc, coconut oil or olive oil.
    Eat plenty of leafy green veg and a small quantity of fruit just to kill any sugar cravings you might have.
    Keep the protein and fat high and your carbs low.
    Limit dairy to only full fat products.
    Only eat when you're hungry. This means don't stick to breakfast, lunch, dinner.
    Read labels for added sugar.
    You need to fat adapt your body so that it burns fat not sugar (carbs). Don't panic if you feel like crap after a few days, that's your body switching over. Within a week you'll start to feel like you have more energy and clearer thoughts.

PS: don't count calories
    Please provide us links to the scientific studies which support your opinion.
    (Anecdote /= data.)
    Because other than eating lots of leafy green veg (which is not good if you're on an anticoagulant), using olive oil, keeping protein intake at the high end of the healthy macro range, and being aware of added sugar in products, none of that makes any sense health-wise.

Here's a good place to look for peer-reviewed scientific studies (proof):
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

The body _always_ burns carbs. Always.
    If it doesn't have enough carbs for the energy it needs, it converts fat molecules into carb molecules, then burns them. This usually happens alongside the normal carb burning (glucose, then glycogen), though the body will always prefer plain carbs because it's more efficient.

If it doesn't have enough carbs or fat, it burns muscle. This takes a long time of a VLCD (such as famine in Africa or a concentration camp in nazi Germany, or even anorexia), and is the real starvation mode. Muscle to carb is an inefficient conversion, and it's a race against time, a last-ditch effort in the hope that you'll find food before so much of the heart & diaphragm are gone that you die.

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Not really the evidence I was looking for. I'd also love to read the science behind your second paragraph, again, not the physiology, but in the context of weight loss benefits over other methods.

You are correct, there is absolutely no reason to change what works. For you.

You lost 50lbs because you ate at a calories deficit. You are no different to any other human being. You chose to do it by eliminating food groups and being restrictive. I lost 50 or so lbs by eating a balanced non-restrictive flexible diet. I also lost weight because I ate at a calorie deficit. It's all the same, just wrapped up in different clothing.

I'm also not sure what true weight loss is, maybe all non paleo weight loss is make believe?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Give NO SUGAR, NO GRAINS, NO VEGETABLE OILS, NO FRUIT JUICE a try. Cook only in animal derived fats, lard, dripping etc, coconut oil or olive oil. Eat plenty of leafy green veg and a small quantity of fruit just to kill any sugar cravings you might have. Keep the protein and fat high and your carbs low. Limit dairy to only full fat products. Only eat when you're hungry. This means don't stick to breakfast, lunch, dinner. Read labels for added sugar. You need to fat adapt your body so that it burns fat not sugar (carbs). Don't panic if you feel like crap after a few days, that's your body switching over. Within a week you'll start to feel like you have more energy and clearer thoughts. As a result of using this diet, after trying just about every other diet out there and getting frustrated, my doctor has taken me off blood pressure tablets and statins and I've lost 12.5kg in two months without once feeling hungry or lacking energy.

vsLoCj3.jpg
  • ana3067
    Options
    Sajyana wrote: »
    this happens to me every time I try losing weight. I create a caloric deficit, eat healthy, am mindful of what I'm eating & exercise, but every time, I gain weight! & it's not that I'm gaining muscle mass & losing inches, because I gain those too! I'm not sure what to do about it. It's really discouraging

This happened to me too. I was eating lots of vegetables and fruits, few processed foods and increased my activity. For a year. It didn't work. I did what zakkiwakki did and cut out sugars and raised animal fat. It worked. It's not just a diet either. You can do this for life. I still eat lots of vegetables, healthy fats and proteins. I'm also eating the same amount of calories, it's just constructed differently.

You are eating fewer calories. Many fruits are calorie dense, some veggies are calorie dense, and you were (I'm assuming) eating a high-carb diet. Meaning feeling less satiated on more food. Fat and protein are both very filling macros. I was able to go to bed almost 200 calories under last nigh because I ate a high protein, moderate fat dinner around 8pm, and I was full until I finally drifted off to sleep after midnight (although I consciously decided on this because we are doing my birthday dinner tonight, so I'll have some extra room to make up for my high-carb birthday meal so I can eat more fat and protein in the evening without going over calories).

You don't say that you still eat lots of fruit, so that's one source you've cut out that can be calorie dense. And no mention of general grains, which are also a bit more calorie dense (especially compared to most veggies).
  • ana3067
    Options
    I spent all summer thinking my exercise was putting me at a calorie deficit, but it wasn't because I was eating more than I realized. Logging calories helps keep you honest. If you aren't good at eyeballing your portion sizes, weighing and measuring your food helps. (Just don't expect it to give you a more accurate calorie count than what's on the package.) But one of the easiest things to do is to simply eat less. You have a concept of what you are eating, so if you're gaining, reduce it.

Except in all my attempts at weight loss, I was NEVER able to do this. I was only able to lose again after gaining, if not counting cals and macros, by really increasing my exercise. Basically, if I didn't do more than 6 hours of exercise (cardio) a week, I gained weight. For me, weighing and tracking calories has actually really helped me when it comes to winging my breakfast and lunch choices, since I find that I can look at the food I feel like eating and just instinctively think "hm, the rest of what I want to eat already looks like it's going to be well within the 600 calorie range, I think I'll save this other thing for lunch/tomorrow" and once I finish logging everything I see that I was correct in estimating that I was within that range already. But I had to have a solid learning experience using a food scale and logging to do this. I still cannot estimate weight for most foods very well. I cannot just "eyeball" portions and be close to my goals, especially now tha tI'm not that far from my weight loss goals.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Just how much packaged food do you eat?

Most of it, actually. Even meat comes in a package with a label that says how much it weighs. Fresh fruits and vegetables are often packaged. Since the company that packaged the food is weighing it with a scale that is calibrated by the government, why should I weigh it again with a scale that isn't?

When I weigh meat, it's often off by a few grams. especially when I wind up cutting off extra fat that I don't want (I dislike the texture of fat on red meat - it's fine on poultry). Or if I'm buying chicken breasts in bulk, I weigh the individual pieces I want to eat because.. I'm not eating a whole 2lbs of chicken in a sitting. When you buy fruit, you are most often going to discard part of it -- banana peel, orange peel, apple core, watermelon rind, etc.

I don't know about you, but when I buy my fruits and veggies they are usually not packaged, and even when they are and have weight on them I am only using a portion of the entire purchase, hence weighing it for that single use.
  • ana3067
    Options
    For everyone who has posted along the lines of "are you actually eating more than you think" "are you actually creating a caloric deficit" "are you sure you have counted your calories properly" No. yes. yes. I've been counting for 5 years now, took a break when I got pregnant with baby #3 & now my body seems to be rejecting any dieting. I follow the 1410 calories that have been suggested by MFP & push to stay under, since my basal metabolic rate is in the 1500's I stay under anyway. I normally don't track my workouts to ensure I'm creating a deficit, because I don't like how the app automatically gives you "extra" calories. I follow the eat ever 2-3 hours rule & eat small, ie hard boiled egg white, banana etc. Also, I do my best to avoid processed food, more because I enjoy the taste of homemade than for health benefits & since I'm a house wife, there's really no reason for me to opt for processed. Most of the meals I cook do not require any oils, and I avoid carbs & starches. So, now that that's all out of the way, if anyone has any tips or ideas [that aren't just questioning my ability to keep track of what I'm doing] I'd be glad to hear them.

Can you open up your diary then? Because you are probably eating more than you think even though you think you are tracking properly. This has happened many times. One poster even posted like.. monthly about his plateaus and then said he wanted to do a 1200 calorie diet... and every time we would reply and tell him that his logging was WAY off, he ignored us.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Your body can't and doesn't reject losing weight. There is a point at which, however, that your body will slow down to try to survive on the low number of calories you're giving it. You would still lose weight, but more slowly, because you be doing nothing by lying in bed all day. If you are able to exercise, but you still aren't losing weight, that means you're eating more than you think. Saying it ain't so doesn't change that fact.

Just because I said I'm a house wife does NOT mean I lay in bed all day. I'm on my feet all day, cleaning meal prepping & chasing children & still find time for at least a half hour workout. I don't always log my workout because I don't like the idea of MFP showing "you still have X amount of calories" because you input an exercise

MFP is based on NEAT/non-exercise calories. The caloric goal it gives you is based on your general activity without accounting for exercise. This is why you should be logging and eating back exercise calories (at least half of them), unless you do TDEE method which includes exercise into the equation.