Eating right & excersing, but gaining weight

Options

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I spent all summer thinking my exercise was putting me at a calorie deficit, but it wasn't because I was eating more than I realized. Logging calories helps keep you honest. If you aren't good at eyeballing your portion sizes, weighing and measuring your food helps. (Just don't expect it to give you a more accurate calorie count than what's on the package.) But one of the easiest things to do is to simply eat less. You have a concept of what you are eating, so if you're gaining, reduce it.

Can you STOP telling people that weighing/measuring your food is no more accurate than eyeballing it? It might not be 100%, as nothing is, but it still works better.

OP, if you aren't losing then you're eating more than you think. Read the Calorie Counting 101 and Logging Accurately threads pinned at the top of this board.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I spent all summer thinking my exercise was putting me at a calorie deficit, but it wasn't because I was eating more than I realized. Logging calories helps keep you honest. If you aren't good at eyeballing your portion sizes, weighing and measuring your food helps. (Just don't expect it to give you a more accurate calorie count than what's on the package.) But one of the easiest things to do is to simply eat less. You have a concept of what you are eating, so if you're gaining, reduce it.

Just how much packaged food do you eat? Please, enough with the "weighing not being as accurate" stuff. Since a good part of most people's diets comes from produce and meats, and you know... fresh food... it should be weighed. Liquids should be measured.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Zakkiwaki, you do realize you are using a calorie counting app, right? I think your method is probably great, but people who use MFP have lost weight by counting calories because that's the premise its built on. I have lost a lot of weight from counting and stand by it. I don't fault you for your method, but you will likely continually be challenged on this app if you continue to post non-calorie counting advice because counting calories is why we are here honestly. That's all I wanted to say. No further comments from me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    this happens to me every time I try losing weight. I create a caloric deficit, eat healthy, am mindful of what I'm eating & exercise, but every time, I gain weight! & it's not that I'm gaining muscle mass & losing inches, because I gain those too! I'm not sure what to do about it. It's really discouraging

Melissa - to try and get thread back on track....
    Making your diary public may lead to some good advice.

If you are gaining weight over a period of weeks the first thing to look at is your food logging accuracy and then your calorie allowance. It's just about guaranteed you aren't at a calorie deficit if this gain is consistent and long lasting.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Just how much packaged food do you eat?

Most of it, actually. Even meat comes in a package with a label that says how much it weighs. Fresh fruits and vegetables are often packaged. Since the company that packaged the food is weighing it with a scale that is calibrated by the government, why should I weigh it again with a scale that isn't?

• melissamayhart
    Options
    For everyone who has posted along the lines of "are you actually eating more than you think" "are you actually creating a caloric deficit" "are you sure you have counted your calories properly" No. yes. yes. I've been counting for 5 years now, took a break when I got pregnant with baby #3 & now my body seems to be rejecting any dieting. I follow the 1410 calories that have been suggested by MFP & push to stay under, since my basal metabolic rate is in the 1500's I stay under anyway. I normally don't track my workouts to ensure I'm creating a deficit, because I don't like how the app automatically gives you "extra" calories. I follow the eat ever 2-3 hours rule & eat small, ie hard boiled egg white, banana etc. Also, I do my best to avoid processed food, more because I enjoy the taste of homemade than for health benefits & since I'm a house wife, there's really no reason for me to opt for processed. Most of the meals I cook do not require any oils, and I avoid carbs & starches. So, now that that's all out of the way, if anyone has any tips or ideas [that aren't just questioning my ability to keep track of what I'm doing] I'd be glad to hear them.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    For everyone who has posted along the lines of "are you actually eating more than you think" "are you actually creating a caloric deficit" "are you sure you have counted your calories properly" No. yes. yes. I've been counting for 5 years now, took a break when I got pregnant with baby #3 & now my body seems to be rejecting any dieting. I follow the 1410 calories that have been suggested by MFP & push to stay under, since my basal metabolic rate is in the 1500's I stay under anyway. I normally don't track my workouts to ensure I'm creating a deficit, because I don't like how the app automatically gives you "extra" calories. I follow the eat ever 2-3 hours rule & eat small, ie hard boiled egg white, banana etc. Also, I do my best to avoid processed food, more because I enjoy the taste of homemade than for health benefits & since I'm a house wife, there's really no reason for me to opt for processed. Most of the meals I cook do not require any oils, and I avoid carbs & starches. So, now that that's all out of the way, if anyone has any tips or ideas [that aren't just questioning my ability to keep track of what I'm doing] I'd be glad to hear them.

But do you use a food scale?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Your body can't and doesn't reject losing weight. There is a point at which, however, that your body will slow down to try to survive on the low number of calories you're giving it. You would still lose weight, but more slowly, because you be doing nothing by lying in bed all day. If you are able to exercise, but you still aren't losing weight, that means you're eating more than you think. Saying it ain't so doesn't change that fact.
  • melissamayhart
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I don't, I measure by cups/tbsp etc using the nutritional guide

• queenliz99
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I don't, I measure by cups/tbsp etc using the nutritional guide

Then you need to watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • melissamayhart
    Options
    Your body can't and doesn't reject losing weight. There is a point at which, however, that your body will slow down to try to survive on the low number of calories you're giving it. You would still lose weight, but more slowly, because you be doing nothing by lying in bed all day. If you are able to exercise, but you still aren't losing weight, that means you're eating more than you think. Saying it ain't so doesn't change that fact.

Just because I said I'm a house wife does NOT mean I lay in bed all day. I'm on my feet all day, cleaning meal prepping & chasing children & still find time for at least a half hour workout. I don't always log my workout because I don't like the idea of MFP showing "you still have X amount of calories" because you input an exercise
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Just how much packaged food do you eat?

Most of it, actually. Even meat comes in a package with a label that says how much it weighs. Fresh fruits and vegetables are often packaged. Since the company that packaged the food is weighing it with a scale that is calibrated by the government, why should I weigh it again with a scale that isn't?

Meat comes in a package that's weighed, but it's not individually portioned. Packaged produce isn't portioned. How do you get weights for individual portions?

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Can you open your diary please? It will really be helpful with giving you advice.

Also, if you're eating low calories because you're short, I know how it is. Ever calorie matters. I can also tell you that cups and teaspoons aren't anywhere near as accurate as a digital food scale.
  • melissamayhart
    melissamayhart Posts: 9
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Can you open your diary please? It will really be helpful with giving you advice.

Also, if you're eating low calories because you're short, I know how it is. Ever calorie matters. I can also tell you that cups and teaspoons aren't anywhere near as accurate as a digital food scale.

I've only been back on MFP for about 2 months max, I'm not quite mentally ready to open food diary to the world. The only issue I have with buying a food scale is that for the first few weeks, measuring by cups worked for weightloss, I had been loosing 2lbs a week & now, I'm gaining, even though I'm following my same restrictions & diet. So I KNOW it can be done
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

This. I measured things by cups and pieces before I got a food scale, and when I did, I found out that the "about one cup" or "about nine pieces" was way inaccurate. It could be high, it could be low. But if it's high, then yes, you are eating more calories than you think.

Honestly, if you're so confident, open your diary so people can actually see it. That would seriously shut up anyone who's asking the question about eating more than you think if you are, indeed, being as accurate as you claim to be.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Did you watch that video I posted?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

I've only been back on MFP for about 2 months max, I'm not quite mentally ready to open food diary to the world. The only issue I have with buying a food scale is that for the first few weeks, measuring by cups worked for weightloss, I had been loosing 2lbs a week & now, I'm gaining, even though I'm following my same restrictions & diet. So I KNOW it can be done

How long have you been gaining?

• JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options

I don't have my diary open to more than anyone on my friends list, so I understand the trepidation. But without actual proof of your diet, there's very little accurate help anyone can provide other than what's been said (and very little proof to the contrary).
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Just buy a food scale. You'll be surprised at how much difference it makes as compared to using cups to measure everything.