Say "NO" to GMO!

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    phungpat wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    You can eat it, but it might grow a third ball.

And that's bad right?

I would make a joke about dragging across multiple faces, but I won't because that's sure to get me some silly warning.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I have a Zestar tree in the backyard at the house. The zestar apple was born at the University of Minnesota in a lab around 2000. Since they're GMO, good to eat or not?
    As far as I know it's not a GMO crop but a hybrid.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It's just my opinion but the things I found out about GMO's aren't the greatest for you.

Where did you get your information? College class, internet web site, magazine, other?
  • phungpat
    Options
    phungpat wrote: »
    You can eat it, but it might grow a third ball.

And that's bad right?

I would make a joke about dragging across multiple faces, but I won't because that's sure to get me some silly warning.

Censorship will have to be a thread for another day.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I have a Zestar tree in the backyard at the house. The zestar apple was born at the University of Minnesota in a lab around 2000. Since they're GMO, good to eat or not?

I say they are really good, even with a third ball. But its not GMO its a hybrid.

• Boganella
    Boganella Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    oo7gqmej5j3b.png
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Gregor Mendel is spinning in his grave right about now...............
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Tigg_er wrote: »

I say they are really good, even with a third ball. But its not GMO its a hybrid.

Pretty much all apples are GMO....
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Attack of the clones!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Random definition of GMO.
  • KarolJohnson2127
    KarolJohnson2127 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Our whole world isn't natural, I can't believe this is still even an argument. If you wanna live natural, go live out in the country and grow your own food, for example like the Amish do. Do you buy your organic food in a plastic bag? Well, that's not natural! Also, I question the validity of the documentary you watched, many of these are one sided or have an agenda.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Omgsh i learnt a lot about GMO's today. They are absolutely horrible! Does anyone agree?

Do you even know what you mean when you say "GMO"? Not trying to be snarky, but really. What specifically counts as "GMO" to you?

Humans have genetically modified every crop we grow and every animal we raise. Are they all bad for you? Are they all bad in the same way? How are they bad?

• GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The Luddite arguments against GMOs do serve a purpose. Science and especially industry does need checks and balances in the area of genetic modification and distribution. Issues like monolithic grain supplies, crops selected so that grains don't germinate forcing farmers to re-supply, unwanted crop cross-fertilization are just some of the current issues that need to be addressed.
    The historical introduction of a species to fight a pest has often led to unwanted consequences of unintended dominance, selective processes sometimes resulting in more agressive pests.

Like antibiotics, GMOs can be excellent - but the process of use can raise certain risks.

I'm pro -GMO, but cautiously so, and find that the blind "they are totally safe" attitude is actually worse than OP's uneducated position that all GMOs are bad.
    There is a reason why legislation limiting the use, requiring incident reporting, etc exists. http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/agriculture/food/sa0015_en.htm and the likes in the U.S. and elsewhere highlight some of the concerns.

As we use and understand better the potential of GMOs both for food and medicine it really is important that we maintain those checks and balances and not follow either camp with blind faith.
    Caveat emptor.

Cheers to that!

Whilst the same thought process leads me to siding more on the anti-GMO side, I do also recognise that there may be advantages to GMO crops… IF well-monitored and if crap like monolithic crop supplies and patenting of a new species is avoided.

I'm not against patenting of new species, there is no reason that it is less of an intellectual property process than inventing something else. Where patenting of discovered species, I find, can be easily criticized, the planned invention does deserve some intellectual protection. In the absence of some protection manufacturers would be justified in making non-germination lines to protect their commercial interests.
    Just like for medicines, there also needs to be fair use balances and goodwill based on need, and possibly shorter patent expiry dates. Thee is a balance that can be struck within need to drive inventiveness and availability of new species. Plus patent protection is actually a good barrier to monolithic culture development - not everyone has access to the latest so other crops are maintained...

I understand the intellectual property aspect, which is why I think it is a difficult topic. However, I find it very hard not to have a moral objection towards patenting a source of food… The comparison with medicine is very apt, and I find that to be a difficult topic as well. I recognise that most of my reasoning are idealistic rather than rational, though. :/

I don't know about whether patenting or not would be a good solution against monolithic cultures. However, I assume you know better than me on the matter and take your word for it.

Truly, I guess in the end it is not the patenting itself that bothers me, it is more the ways it could be potentially abused.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited January 2015
    Options

Are you sure Zestar is GMO? I think it's just a hybrid apple.

I'm not sure there any GM apples for sale in the US.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I'm not sure you know what that term means. :#
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    The Luddite arguments against GMOs do serve a purpose. Science and especially industry does need checks and balances in the area of genetic modification and distribution. Issues like monolithic grain supplies, crops selected so that grains don't germinate forcing farmers to re-supply, unwanted crop cross-fertilization are just some of the current issues that need to be addressed.
    The historical introduction of a species to fight a pest has often led to unwanted consequences of unintended dominance, selective processes sometimes resulting in more agressive pests.

Like antibiotics, GMOs can be excellent - but the process of use can raise certain risks.

I'm pro -GMO, but cautiously so, and find that the blind "they are totally safe" attitude is actually worse than OP's uneducated position that all GMOs are bad.
    There is a reason why legislation limiting the use, requiring incident reporting, etc exists. http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/agriculture/food/sa0015_en.htm and the likes in the U.S. and elsewhere highlight some of the concerns.

As we use and understand better the potential of GMOs both for food and medicine it really is important that we maintain those checks and balances and not follow either camp with blind faith.
    Caveat emptor.

Cheers to that!

Whilst the same thought process leads me to siding more on the anti-GMO side, I do also recognise that there may be advantages to GMO crops… IF well-monitored and if crap like monolithic crop supplies and patenting of a new species is avoided.

I'm not against patenting of new species, there is no reason that it is less of an intellectual property process than inventing something else. Where patenting of discovered species, I find, can be easily criticized, the planned invention does deserve some intellectual protection. In the absence of some protection manufacturers would be justified in making non-germination lines to protect their commercial interests.
    Just like for medicines, there also needs to be fair use balances and goodwill based on need, and possibly shorter patent expiry dates. Thee is a balance that can be struck within need to drive inventiveness and availability of new species. Plus patent protection is actually a good barrier to monolithic culture development - not everyone has access to the latest so other crops are maintained...

I understand the intellectual property aspect, which is why I think it is a difficult topic. However, I find it very hard not to have a moral objection towards patenting a source of food… The comparison with medicine is very apt, and I find that to be a difficult topic as well. I recognise that most of my reasoning are idealistic rather than rational, though. :/

I don't know about whether patenting or not would be a good solution against monolithic cultures. However, I assume you know better than me on the matter and take your word for it.

Truly, I guess in the end it is not the patenting itself that bothers me, it is more the ways it could be potentially abused.

It's a long area for discussion - and probably not for this site, includes social, political elements that are basically not allowed on here. Let's just say it's complex.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    GMOs don't bother me nearly as much as the company Monsanto does.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Omgsh i learnt a lot about GMO's today. They are absolutely horrible! Does anyone agree?

Do you even know what you mean when you say "GMO"? Not trying to be snarky, but really. What specifically counts as "GMO" to you?

Humans have genetically modified every crop we grow and every animal we raise. Are they all bad for you? Are they all bad in the same way? How are they bad?

No, GMO means modified by genetic engineering technique. This excludes historical hybridization.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Caveat emptor.

Cheers to that!

I was entertained when a US company patented Batsmati rice, which has been grown in India for thousands of years...
This discussion has been closed.