Say "NO" to GMO!

Options

Replies

• GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    The Luddite arguments against GMOs do serve a purpose. Science and especially industry does need checks and balances in the area of genetic modification and distribution. Issues like monolithic grain supplies, crops selected so that grains don't germinate forcing farmers to re-supply, unwanted crop cross-fertilization are just some of the current issues that need to be addressed.
    The historical introduction of a species to fight a pest has often led to unwanted consequences of unintended dominance, selective processes sometimes resulting in more agressive pests.

Like antibiotics, GMOs can be excellent - but the process of use can raise certain risks.

I'm pro -GMO, but cautiously so, and find that the blind "they are totally safe" attitude is actually worse than OP's uneducated position that all GMOs are bad.
    There is a reason why legislation limiting the use, requiring incident reporting, etc exists. http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/agriculture/food/sa0015_en.htm and the likes in the U.S. and elsewhere highlight some of the concerns.

As we use and understand better the potential of GMOs both for food and medicine it really is important that we maintain those checks and balances and not follow either camp with blind faith.
    Caveat emptor.

Cheers to that!

Whilst the same thought process leads me to siding more on the anti-GMO side, I do also recognise that there may be advantages to GMO crops… IF well-monitored and if crap like monolithic crop supplies and patenting of a new species is avoided.

I'm not against patenting of new species, there is no reason that it is less of an intellectual property process than inventing something else. Where patenting of discovered species, I find, can be easily criticized, the planned invention does deserve some intellectual protection. In the absence of some protection manufacturers would be justified in making non-germination lines to protect their commercial interests.
    Just like for medicines, there also needs to be fair use balances and goodwill based on need, and possibly shorter patent expiry dates. Thee is a balance that can be struck within need to drive inventiveness and availability of new species. Plus patent protection is actually a good barrier to monolithic culture development - not everyone has access to the latest so other crops are maintained...

I understand the intellectual property aspect, which is why I think it is a difficult topic. However, I find it very hard not to have a moral objection towards patenting a source of food… The comparison with medicine is very apt, and I find that to be a difficult topic as well. I recognise that most of my reasoning are idealistic rather than rational, though. :/

I don't know about whether patenting or not would be a good solution against monolithic cultures. However, I assume you know better than me on the matter and take your word for it.

Truly, I guess in the end it is not the patenting itself that bothers me, it is more the ways it could be potentially abused.

It's a long area for discussion - and probably not for this site, includes social, political elements that are basically not allowed on here. Let's just say it's complex.

Completely agreed.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    The Luddite arguments against GMOs do serve a purpose. Science and especially industry does need checks and balances in the area of genetic modification and distribution. Issues like monolithic grain supplies, crops selected so that grains don't germinate forcing farmers to re-supply, unwanted crop cross-fertilization are just some of the current issues that need to be addressed.
    The historical introduction of a species to fight a pest has often led to unwanted consequences of unintended dominance, selective processes sometimes resulting in more agressive pests.

Like antibiotics, GMOs can be excellent - but the process of use can raise certain risks.

I'm pro -GMO, but cautiously so, and find that the blind "they are totally safe" attitude is actually worse than OP's uneducated position that all GMOs are bad.
    There is a reason why legislation limiting the use, requiring incident reporting, etc exists. http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/agriculture/food/sa0015_en.htm and the likes in the U.S. and elsewhere highlight some of the concerns.

As we use and understand better the potential of GMOs both for food and medicine it really is important that we maintain those checks and balances and not follow either camp with blind faith.
    Caveat emptor.

Cheers to that!

Whilst the same thought process leads me to siding more on the anti-GMO side, I do also recognise that there may be advantages to GMO crops… IF well-monitored and if crap like monolithic crop supplies and patenting of a new species is avoided.

I'm not against patenting of new species, there is no reason that it is less of an intellectual property process than inventing something else. Where patenting of discovered species, I find, can be easily criticized, the planned invention does deserve some intellectual protection. In the absence of some protection manufacturers would be justified in making non-germination lines to protect their commercial interests.
    Just like for medicines, there also needs to be fair use balances and goodwill based on need, and possibly shorter patent expiry dates. Thee is a balance that can be struck within need to drive inventiveness and availability of new species. Plus patent protection is actually a good barrier to monolithic culture development - not everyone has access to the latest so other crops are maintained...

I understand the intellectual property aspect, which is why I think it is a difficult topic. However, I find it very hard not to have a moral objection towards patenting a source of food… The comparison with medicine is very apt, and I find that to be a difficult topic as well. I recognise that most of my reasoning are idealistic rather than rational, though. :/

I don't know about whether patenting or not would be a good solution against monolithic cultures. However, I assume you know better than me on the matter and take your word for it.

Truly, I guess in the end it is not the patenting itself that bothers me, it is more the ways it could be potentially abused.
    I was entertained when a US company patented Batsmati rice, which has been grown in India for thousands of years...

It+would+serve+her+right+lobster+ain+t+cheap+_79cbecad7d53d6a956242ed86f101b1c.gif
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I say OK to GMO. It's not something that concerns me.

And really I would question how anything could be called non-GMO. Some things are GMO by humans, but everything is GMO by nature. I could be ignoring official definitions of GMO, but when the backbone of biology is millions of years of genetic mutations (yes, modifications), I see no difference.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    GMO and vaccines make the world a much better better place. Science, because it works.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Caveat emptor.

Cheers to that!

I was entertained when a US company patented Batsmati rice, which has been grown in India for thousands of years...

Patent abuse and biopiracy exists - however overeaching that case was, it was resolved and the company lost the patent rights.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Omgsh i learnt a lot about GMO's today. They are absolutely horrible! Does anyone agree?

Do you even know what you mean when you say "GMO"? Not trying to be snarky, but really. What specifically counts as "GMO" to you?

Humans have genetically modified every crop we grow and every animal we raise. Are they all bad for you? Are they all bad in the same way? How are they bad?

No, GMO means modified by genetic engineering technique. This excludes historical hybridization.

Wow. I'm pretty surprised at how many people think GMO and hybrid fruits/vegetables are the same thing.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Omgsh i learnt a lot about GMO's today. They are absolutely horrible! Does anyone agree?

Do you even know what you mean when you say "GMO"? Not trying to be snarky, but really. What specifically counts as "GMO" to you?

Humans have genetically modified every crop we grow and every animal we raise. Are they all bad for you? Are they all bad in the same way? How are they bad?

No, GMO means modified by genetic engineering technique. This excludes historical hybridization.

Why is that not a genetic engineering technique? I mean, what's the defining difference as far as why one makes food better and the other makes it worse/cancerous/evil?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Why is that not a genetic engineering technique? I mean, what's the defining difference as far as why one makes food better and the other makes it worse/cancerous/evil?

That's possibly the silliest question I've ever seen on here. You might as well ask does seasoning or baking make food worse/cancerous/evil? They are two completely separate processes, neither of which has a demonic relationship of which I'm aware.
  • phungpat
    Options

Hybridization occurs in a field by cross-breeding plants, and GMO's are made in a lab using gene-splicing. I can't argue if one is safer than the other but they are two separate things and one can occur naturally and the other cannot.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Hybridization is taking two or more animals or plants and breeding them together or splicing a bit of macro tissue together. The modified result may have genetic material from both but it's not a major modification and frankly it's bern going on for thousands and thousands of years. Genetic engineering is the insertion of very small genetic material using a bacteria, or a gene gun, a plasmid, etc. It carries additonal risks that the added material will "skip" to other plants or animals or that it will have secondary unintended results.

For examples, research on an eggplant GMO resulted in a species of eggplant that was resistant to a borer. That's great, expect field results demonstrated that the elimination of that borer in that field test gave rise to another pest by leaving the field wide open without competition. Not so good.

We humans have created agricultural catastrophies. Introduction of cats and rabbits in places where they should not have been, destruction of grape varietals, etc. The introduction of non-local species has so many horror stories, now add the risk of antibiotic resistance gene possibly moving from one culture to other areas or becoming the breeding ground for new resistances in soil bacteria...

GMOs carry some risks beyond hybrid processes. It isn't that they are evil, they need more checks and evaluations.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Wow. I'm pretty surprised at how many people think GMO and hybrid fruits/vegetables are the same thing.

Why are you surprised it's a common mistake, after all the label isn't "Genetically Engineered Organism". A lot of people don't have a very good idea about food, biology or nutrition - GMOs go well beyond that.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Why are you surprised it's a common mistake, after all the label isn't "Genetically Engineered Organism". A lot of people don't have a very good idea about food, biology or nutrition - GMOs go well beyond that.

I'm surprised because so many people are for/against it and it's such a hot topic.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    MTDDS18 wrote: »
    What's so horrible about GMO's exactly?

Hopefully you don't ever need to take insulin, a genetically modified bacteria is used to make it.

eta: I don't mean to come off as snarky, but having my BS in biology it often gets me riled up when people attack GMOs and generally have no solid evidence backing up their claims other than biased documentaries and websites with an agenda.

Without GMOs there would be an even larger gap in those who go hungry and don't have enough food to eat. Farmers are being driven to grow more food than ever on less land than ever, without GMOs that would be impossible. Oh yeah, those fruits and vegetables you (probably) love, wouldn't be half the size without genetic modification.

^^This. I'm all for GMOs. GE (genetic engineering) science improves availability, affordability, and accessibility to nutritious food. And yeah, life saving medicines that keep T1 and TD2 diabetics alive. I like all those things about GE.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

I'm surprised because so many people are for/against it and it's such a hot topic.

Ah, yeah, shrug.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    phungpat wrote: »

Hybridization occurs in a field by cross-breeding plants, and GMO's are made in a lab using gene-splicing. I can't argue if one is safer than the other but they are two separate things and one can occur naturally and the other cannot.

A specific GMO organism might or might not be possible naturally.

OK, so this is a nitpick, but I've always thought that at a part of the anti-GMO outcry might be that people don't realize that genetic material jumps species with the aid of viruses and bacteria without any assistance from us, and not all that infrequently. That's the only reason for even mentioning this.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Caveat emptor.

i agree with every word of this, but i assign my skepticism to letting the goals of big business dictate the market as opposed to the actual science behind the thing. so am i suspicious of GMO products? not really, no. am i suspicious of the actions of corporations, GOOD LORD, YES.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

That's possibly the silliest question I've ever seen on here. You might as well ask does seasoning or baking make food worse/cancerous/evil? They are two completely separate processes, neither of which has a demonic relationship of which I'm aware.

i don't find that question silly at all
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Tigg_er wrote: »
    I have a Zestar tree in the backyard at the house. The zestar apple was born at the University of Minnesota in a lab around 2000. Since they're GMO, good to eat or not?

I say they are really good, even with a third ball. But its not GMO its a hybrid.

Pretty much all apples are GMO....

Tigg_er wrote: »
    I have a Zestar tree in the backyard at the house. The zestar apple was born at the University of Minnesota in a lab around 2000. Since they're GMO, good to eat or not?

I say they are really good, even with a third ball. But its not GMO its a hybrid.

Pretty much all apples are GMO....

Random definition of GMO.

Oh dam the Quotes are multipling :p
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    phungpat wrote: »

A specific GMO organism might or might not be possible naturally.

OK, so this is a nitpick, but I've always thought that at a part of the anti-GMO outcry might be that people don't realize that genetic material jumps species with the aid of viruses and bacteria without any assistance from us, and not all that infrequently. That's the only reason for even mentioning this.

^^^ This. It's not exactly true that "gene-splicing" does not occur in nature. There are types of viruses that have been doing this a long time, and I imagine in all plants and animals (virology, while interesting, wasn't my research area). So yah, it's not uncommon at all. Research suggests that up to 8% of the human genome was derived from viral DNA. So we're GMOs too I guess ;)
  • frootums
    frootums Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Far as I'm concern even with the GMO... We still aren't feeding everyone. People are still starving.

And even more would be because entitled people like yourself seem to have an issue with an amazing advancement to food that you disagree with based on false information and wavering morals.

Maybe some day you'll experience true starvation and you'll think twice before protesting something that has saved millions of lives.
This discussion has been closed.