Why deprive yourself of delicious foods?

Options

Replies

• PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    because demonizing foods as "bad" and then blaming weight gain on them, then makes it easier to jut 100% restrict said foods and use them as a crutch ...

when you boil it down there are no good and bad foods. What matters is your overall diet...context and dosage is important, not individual food choices...

This is incorrect. There are plenty of foods that are bad for you, even in moderation.

Sure you can stay at a normal weight from keeping it to moderation but this doesn't mean these foods aren't terrible for your overall health.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    OP: Why do you care what other people are eating?? If you feel so strongly that people can eat what they want, then let people eat what they want!!!

Personally, when I eat pizza, fast food, snack stuff (chips and the like), I feel like junk. It gives me an upset stomach. I prefer to eat food that makes me feel good and that gives me energy.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Why do people even care about what other people eat?
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Are people seriously asking about why people care what others eat on forums designed for a nutrition, healthy, and fitness forum? OP definitely came across hostile but this is a topic that does come up repeatedly in tons of threads.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    because demonizing foods as "bad" and then blaming weight gain on them, then makes it easier to jut 100% restrict said foods and use them as a crutch ...

when you boil it down there are no good and bad foods. What matters is your overall diet...context and dosage is important, not individual food choices...

This is incorrect. There are plenty of foods that are bad for you, even in moderation.

Sure you can stay at a normal weight from keeping it to moderation but this doesn't mean these foods aren't terrible for your overall health.

please list said foods...

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Okay, so be prepared for a rant.

Why do people deprive themselves of foods like chocolate, fried stuff, whatever when on a diet? These foods are not the enemy! The person eating them lacks self control, which is the true enemy. I hate going through my news feed and seeing people say "I never go out to eat" "I don't eat that trash" and I'm like dude moderation is key, not deprivation.

I'm determined to show people that you can lose weight and eat "trash" whenever you please. Again, it's all about moderation.

This. All of it. Seriously. My diary is open, anyone who wants to is welcome to look at it. I eat chocolate, I eat pizza, I eat things that a lot of people may consider "trash." But guess what, I'm still losing, because I eat at a calorie deficit. That's all that matters. It's really that simple.

If you re-read the OP though, you'll see that it never says anyone said "I can't eat that trash" or "I can't go out to eat". It says "I don't". Huge difference.

People should eat what they want while losing weight, not what you or the OP wants.

I believe she was quoting people from her news feed saying "I eat trash..."

so the "I" was referring to people on her friend list and not the OP herself...

Yes, I got that. My point was, she is assuming these people think they can't eat trash or go out to eat, rather than they simply choose not to.

again, I believe her point is that there is no "trash" food ..and that you do not need to deprive yourself of said foods...

weight loss does not have to equal self torture

You also seem to be assuming deprivation and self torture. Nothing in the OP suggests that, other than her assumption.

Ok - just read all the posts on here about "evil sugar" "bad carbs" "cutting sugar 100%" "water fasts" "clean eating" etc, etc..and tell me that is not happening...

I've read a more than a few, but I don't see the point of commenting on other MFP posts here in this thread. All my comments were about this thread.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Why do people deprive themselves of foods like chocolate, fried stuff, whatever when on a diet? These foods are not the enemy! The person eating them lacks self control, which is the true enemy. I hate going through my news feed and seeing people say "I never go out to eat" "I don't eat that trash" and I'm like dude moderation is key, not deprivation.

I'm determined to show people that you can lose weight and eat "trash" whenever you please. Again, it's all about moderation.

This. All of it. Seriously. My diary is open, anyone who wants to is welcome to look at it. I eat chocolate, I eat pizza, I eat things that a lot of people may consider "trash." But guess what, I'm still losing, because I eat at a calorie deficit. That's all that matters. It's really that simple.

If you re-read the OP though, you'll see that it never says anyone said "I can't eat that trash" or "I can't go out to eat". It says "I don't". Huge difference.

People should eat what they want while losing weight, not what you or the OP wants.

Yes, I got that. My point was, she is assuming these people think they can't eat trash or go out to eat, rather than they simply choose not to.

again, I believe her point is that there is no "trash" food ..and that you do not need to deprive yourself of said foods...

You also seem to be assuming deprivation and self torture. Nothing in the OP suggests that, other than her assumption.

Ok - just read all the posts on here about "evil sugar" "bad carbs" "cutting sugar 100%" "water fasts" "clean eating" etc, etc..and tell me that is not happening...

I've read a more than a few, but I don't see the point of commenting on other MFP posts here in this thread. All my comments were about this thread.

OP has not come back to clarify ..but I believe it is a general question about why people view food as "trash"...

then again I could be wrong, as I am not the OP ...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Simply not true.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

OP has not come back to clarify ..but I believe it is a general question about why people view food as "trash"...

Nor am I, though I read it as a general demonizing of people who choose not to eat trash.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    There is a difference for people who choose not to eat certain foods and people who think they can't eat certain foods.

I get that for some people, they just feel better when they don't eat XYZ or they just can't seem to control themselves around it. I understand that's how they feel and it's not affecting me so whatever. Personally, I'd rather learn how to control it than just not eat it ever again.

But the people who think they can't are a different story. They've probably been "brainwashed" by the media that its unhealthy and full of chemicals that will kill you. But I think there's also a psychological underpinning to it:

It's easier to blame the food for you being fat, than to take responsibility for it yourself. If the food is what is making you unhealthy, then it's not your fault. That's an attractive prospect for many who are in denial about how bad their eating habits are and that they chose to eat that poorly. Maybe it's how you were raised, but once you became an adult, you chose to continue eating badly.

Personal responsibility can be a scary thing.

Me on the other hand, I find personal responsibility to be liberating. I tried to cut dessert out of my life for a long time because I felt guilty when I ate it. Now that I track my calories and macros, I know that when I eat dessert, it's ok. It fits into my daily goals and my healthy diet. No more reason to feel guilty.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Are people seriously asking about why people care what others eat on forums designed for a nutrition, healthy, and fitness forum? OP definitely came across hostile but this is a topic that does come up repeatedly in tons of threads.

Yeah, I asked it and I am serious. Why does anyone seriously care about what other people eat? It is just a game on these forums....they want you to agree with them and their philosophy or they will tell you what an idiot you are. My point is that what works for one person is their business. We do not all have to agree or eat the same way to be successful at weight loss, gain, maintenance, etc. I’m just very tired of the same people chiming in and slamming others for THEIR choices. Want to eat candy, cakes and chips every day? That’s great! Want to stay away from stuff like that because it triggers overeating/binging or causes physical issues for you PERSONALLY, then that’s great too. We are not all robots...what works for me, may not work for you. It’s what you can live with and stick to that works. I personally can’t even look at a graham cracker or the next thing I know, I have eaten the entire box and am now off looking for the salty half of my food binge fix. My solution-no graham crackers. Works for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    bambarby wrote: »
    I'm new here. What the consequence of getting flagged?

My understanding is that the moderators will check it out. If they find a post that violates the forum rules, they can remove it and possibly give the poster a 'strike' of some sort. If you get enough strikes, you can be banned from the forums. But a flag is not a strike.

Also, the mods can see who flags a post. I'm not sure if they have any penalties for excessive inappropriate flagging, but I would not be surprised if that starts soon given the way some people seem to flag just for fun, causing more work for the mods.

Flagging is for spam. I'm quite sure it actually pisses off the mods when people abuse the feature, heck I wouldn't be surprised if the option was removed soon, and we'll be drowning in spam posts again because of it :(

OP, I honestly don't care what other people do, personally. I know that some people just can't do moderation, so they cut things out... if it works for them, *shrug*.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Nor am I, though I read it as a general demonizing of people who choose not to eat trash.

Ummm, I think you read it backwards...

I read it as her asking why people deprive themselves..and her last sentence said that you can eat "trash" and lose weight...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

You're being baited into an Internet fight. Just a heads up.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Yeah, I asked it and I am serious. Why does anyone seriously care about what other people eat? It is just a game on these forums....they want you to agree with them and their philosophy or they will tell you what an idiot you are. My point is that what works for one person is their business. We do not all have to agree or eat the same way to be successful at weight loss, gain, maintenance, etc. I’m just very tired of the same people chiming in and slamming others for THEIR choices. Want to eat candy, cakes and chips every day? That’s great! Want to stay away from stuff like that because it triggers overeating/binging or causes physical issues for you PERSONALLY, then that’s great too. We are not all robots...what works for me, may not work for you. It’s what you can live with and stick to that works. I personally can’t even look at a graham cracker or the next thing I know, I have eaten the entire box and am now off looking for the salty half of my food binge fix. My solution-no graham crackers. Works for me.

I believe OP's point is there is no "bad" food ...

she just did not state it so clearly .

dosage, no individual food choice, is what matters...
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Google Trans fats.

All processed foods increase health risks as you age. The chemicals put into foods to make them last for years are awful for humans. It's no coincidence that healthy foods go bad quickly... because it's actual food.

Being fit and being healthy are two completely different things.

You can have 10% body fat and be extremely unhealthy on the inside (what really matters. )

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

You're being baited into an Internet fight. Just a heads up.

True, we should just let his misinformation go unnoticed. :insertsarcasm:
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

Like, say, foods containing trans fats. Cardiologists all agree those are not good for you, and it's best if you NEVER eat them. But don't try to tell some people here that...
  • fatcity66
    Options

Foods containing trans fats.
  • fatcity66
    Options

Google Trans fats.

All processed foods increase health risks as you age. The chemicals put into foods to make them last for years are awful for humans. It's no coincidence that healthy foods go bad quickly... because it's actual food.

Being fit and being healthy are two completely different things.

You can have 10% body fat and be extremely unhealthy on the inside (what really matters. )

LOL We posted at the same time.