Why deprive yourself of delicious foods?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Okay, so be prepared for a rant.

Why do people deprive themselves of foods like chocolate, fried stuff, whatever when on a diet? These foods are not the enemy! The person eating them lacks self control, which is the true enemy. I hate going through my news feed and seeing people say "I never go out to eat" "I don't eat that trash" and I'm like dude moderation is key, not deprivation.

I'm determined to show people that you can lose weight and eat "trash" whenever you please. Again, it's all about moderation.

This. All of it. Seriously. My diary is open, anyone who wants to is welcome to look at it. I eat chocolate, I eat pizza, I eat things that a lot of people may consider "trash." But guess what, I'm still losing, because I eat at a calorie deficit. That's all that matters. It's really that simple.

If you re-read the OP though, you'll see that it never says anyone said "I can't eat that trash" or "I can't go out to eat". It says "I don't". Huge difference.

People should eat what they want while losing weight, not what you or the OP wants.

I believe she was quoting people from her news feed saying "I eat trash..."

so the "I" was referring to people on her friend list and not the OP herself...

Yes, I got that. My point was, she is assuming these people think they can't eat trash or go out to eat, rather than they simply choose not to.

again, I believe her point is that there is no "trash" food ..and that you do not need to deprive yourself of said foods...

weight loss does not have to equal self torture
  • queen_of_disaster
    queen_of_disaster Posts: 61 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I know myself. I can't have just one doughnut...or one bite of pie...or one piece of chocolate. I go overboard. I agree with you it's not the food that's the enemy. It's ourselves. I just stay away from all of it because I know I have no self-control. You can relate to any other addiction. A person who is trying to quit smoking, can't have one cigarette...a person whose trying to get sober, can't have just one drink...a drug addict, can't do cocaine just one time. It's kind of like, if I eat the doughnut (even if it is one), I've let my addiction get the better of me. I'd rather just stay away from it all and pick healthy substitutes. To each their own though!

While I agree in principle (as an ex-smoker, I have not had one since I quit nor do I ever plan to again), the thing about food is that you have to eat it. You just have to, you don't have the choice of not eating it. You don't have to smoke or drink alcohol. And eventually, you're going to encounter temptation, your willpower is going to fail, and you're going to cave and want to eat that donuts... but because you haven't had them so long, you're going to want to eat ALL OF THE DONUTS.

Long-term, I think it's better to teach yourself, as hard as it is, to have one and enjoy it then to not eat it at all. That's a more sustainable way to approach eating and weight loss because the longer you deprive yourself, the harder you will fall when you give in. Trust me... I've lost weight and regained (nearly all of it) a few times because I didn't learn my lesson with moderation. It takes practice, but isn't it better to learn how to live with eating one donut than to eat perfectly for x amount of time before losing control? You always do at some point. I'm still learning this, like I said, because I want to stop binging forever. I don't ever want to get into that mindset of "all of nothing" ever again, and deprivation only leads to binges.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Since you repeatedly ask this question and it has been answered many, many times, I don't think I need to make a list of what is healthy and unhealthy...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    Since you repeatedly ask this question and it has been answered many, many times, I don't think I need to make a list of what is healthy and unhealthy...

because no one ever has a definition ..

overall diet, context, and dosage is what matters...

• sweetychang
    sweetychang Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well, if we all had this "Self Control" a lot of people speak of when it comes to weight gain, I bet some of us wouldn't be here would we. I mean, it's easy to say it's all about moderation and controlling portions this and that, but how easy do you think that is?. I've been dieting since I understood what it meant, when I was 18.. Diabetic class, different weight loss apps such as this, and two years of being vegetarian.. Poof! Nothing. I'm 24 now, heaviest I've ever been in my existence and no I don't deprive myself thank heavens and no I'd like not to drift off by eating. "Whatever trash I want".. It's been two weeks, although scales are a little sketchy but from 267.2 it went to 263.4 and now it's at 261. I'm not generally a lazy person, I just hate being in pain which is what exercising does for me, but lately I'm more open minded to just walking no matter how little. My diet has changed not drastically.. I love bread, tea, egg, these I can't do without. From the beginning of this weight journey I said I'd eat everything I feel like eating and I have. Because I found ways around it. I learned a trick to suck egg yolk out of an egg with a spring water bottle, I got my carnation fat free, instead of making my tea in a 7/11 mug I use a small glass mug, so now my milk portion looks fine compared to the tea quantity. I can eat as much as I want as long as it's within my caloric intake.. It's then up to me to decide, do I want to risk fries that does nothing for me or just drink water and then focus on something that actually makes sense?. For me the temptation to eat something I crave is too much to risk what I'm striving to achieve, I don't want to taste, nothing! Yes, I lack the self control because I'm easily addicted to things anyway. I'm not disagreeing with your logic, I'm just saying it's a slippery slope, especially for emotional eaters.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Why do people deprive themselves of foods like chocolate, fried stuff, whatever when on a diet? These foods are not the enemy! The person eating them lacks self control, which is the true enemy. I hate going through my news feed and seeing people say "I never go out to eat" "I don't eat that trash" and I'm like dude moderation is key, not deprivation.

I'm determined to show people that you can lose weight and eat "trash" whenever you please. Again, it's all about moderation.

This. All of it. Seriously. My diary is open, anyone who wants to is welcome to look at it. I eat chocolate, I eat pizza, I eat things that a lot of people may consider "trash." But guess what, I'm still losing, because I eat at a calorie deficit. That's all that matters. It's really that simple.

If you re-read the OP though, you'll see that it never says anyone said "I can't eat that trash" or "I can't go out to eat". It says "I don't". Huge difference.

People should eat what they want while losing weight, not what you or the OP wants.

Yes, I got that. My point was, she is assuming these people think they can't eat trash or go out to eat, rather than they simply choose not to.

again, I believe her point is that there is no "trash" food ..and that you do not need to deprive yourself of said foods...

You also seem to be assuming deprivation and self torture. Nothing in the OP suggests that, other than her assumption.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    [code]I know myself. I can't have just one doughnut...or one bite of pie...or one piece of chocolate. I go overboard. I agree with you it's not the food that's the enemy. It's ourselves. I just stay away from all of it because I know I have no self-control. You can relate to any other addiction. A person who is trying to quit smoking, can't have one cigarette...a person whose trying to get sober, can't have just one drink...a drug addict, can't do cocaine just one time. It's kind of like, if I eat the doughnut (even if it is one), I've let my addiction get the better of me. I'd rather just stay away from it all and pick healthy substitutes. To each their own though!

While I agree in principle (as an ex-smoker, I have not had one since I quit nor do I ever plan to again), the thing about food is that you have to eat it. You just have to, you don't have the choice of not eating it. You don't have to smoke or drink alcohol. And eventually, you're going to encounter temptation, and you're going to cave and want to eat that donuts... but because you haven't had them so long, you're going to want to eat ALL OF THE DONUTS. It's better to teach yourself, as hard as it is, to have one and enjoy it then to not eat it at all. I think that's a more sustainable way to approach eating and weight loss because the longer you deprive yourself, the harder you will fall when you give in. Trust me... I've lost weight and regained it all three times because I didn't learn my lesson with moderation. It takes practice, but it's better to learn how to live with eating one donut than to eat perfectly for x amount of time before losing control. You always do at some point.[/quote]

Some people don't operate that way while losing weight. It might be more sustainable for YOU but not necessarily for others. Or they might be at that point yet and will add more donuts in once they get closer to their goal. Or maybe when they start exercising more and having more calories available daily.

That's the point, what works for one person, doesn't work for all. What you think you were missing previously, doesn't mean others will have that same exact downfall.
  • mrsleprechaun
    mrsleprechaun Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Because some people don't want to eat food that triggers their bad habits. Carb/sweet addiction is a real thing. I avoid 99% of refined carbs and all sweets because I don't feel like triggering my issues with my "problem foods."

I also am of the strong opinion that eating at a calorie deficit, while it might be enough for WEIGHT LOSS, isn't enough for HEALTH. You get back what you put in. It's easier to maintain weight loss if most (it never has to be ALL!) of what you put in your body is healthy, allowing you to develop better habits.

But hey, good for you having it all figured out to where you can look down on others :p
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I know myself. I can't have just one doughnut...or one bite of pie...or one piece of chocolate. I go overboard. I agree with you it's not the food that's the enemy. It's ourselves. I just stay away from all of it because I know I have no self-control. You can relate to any other addiction. A person who is trying to quit smoking, can't have one cigarette...a person whose trying to get sober, can't have just one drink...a drug addict, can't do cocaine just one time. It's kind of like, if I eat the doughnut (even if it is one), I've let my addiction get the better of me. I'd rather just stay away from it all and pick healthy substitutes. To each their own though!

While I agree in principle (as an ex-smoker, I have not had one since I quit nor do I ever plan to again), the thing about food is that you have to eat it. You just have to, you don't have the choice of not eating it. You don't have to smoke or drink alcohol. And eventually, you're going to encounter temptation, and you're going to cave and want to eat that donuts... but because you haven't had them so long, you're going to want to eat ALL OF THE DONUTS. I think it's better to teach yourself, as hard as it is, to have one and enjoy it then to not eat it at all. I think that's a more sustainable way to approach eating and weight loss because the longer you deprive yourself, the harder you will fall when you give in. Trust me... I've lost weight and regained it all three times because I didn't learn my lesson with moderation. It takes practice, but it's better to learn how to live with eating one donut than to eat perfectly for x amount of time before losing control. You always do at some point.

No, not everyone does.

And really, if you feel you must eat donuts to stay in control of your diet, who is really in control? You, or the donut?
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't deprive myself at all. I don't eat fried foods for 2 reasons, first the oil tends to sit heavy in my stomach and aggravates my ulcer, and second because most fried foods are breaded in some way, and I have celiac disease. I eat chocolate when I want, but have to read labels on the chocolate package to make sure it's safe. I find that if I schedule a nice snack at night, I don't feel deprived ever, because I simply don't deprive, I eat one serving and no more.
  • bestmeicanbe1
    bestmeicanbe1 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I eat whatever just smaller portions. Instead of a whole candy bar I eat half. Instead of getting a burger with a large fry I get a burger with small fries. I eat out at least once a week. Moderation is key and I lost 26 lbs so far eating this way.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    While I agree in moderation of all types of food, making people feel attacked is definitely not going to help anyone realize that moderation is key. I eat all sorts of food, I'm eating at a deficit consistently for the first time in my life because if I really want something, I know I can eat it now. As a result, a lot of those old "bad" foods have lost their allure to me completely...it's a bit of a distressing feeling because they no longer have that comfort aspect that they used to.

I eat a little chocolate a few times week, only because I only want a couple squares every few days - if I wanted it every day, I'd eat it every day. If I want a piece of cake in general and not at some specific meal, I'll wait a day or two to see if the craving is really serious, then just get a really wonderful, well made piece of cake and not some crappy sheet cake from the grocery store like I would have done before, and eat it mindfully, really savoring every bite. In general I've noticed my body really craves balance, though. I feel better when I'm eating mostly home cooked, really balanced meals. If I haven't eaten enough greens in a day or two, I suddenly will crave huge salads to balance it out. It becomes a question of do I want to eat something simply for taste, and feel physically less satisfied, or really be completely satisfied with a meal? An author in a book I read refers to a lot of these low-nutrient, purely fun tasting foods as "play foods," and I love that term because it doesn't demonize them and they still have value - even if it's not high nutritional value. Yes, I gladly still eat play foods when I want them, but because they are increasingly losing their "banned food" status in my mind, they are really becoming things that I no longer crave I want in the same way.

Do I still have certain "trigger foods" that I'm learning to be as mindful with? Yes. It's a process. I still am mildly terrified of pizza or chinese food, but it's something I'm slowly learning to eat more often and try to really not get it when I'm feeling emotionally vulnerable - I realize that everyone has different overeating reasons for eating, mine are emotional.

People need to actually let go of seeing foods as good vs bad before they can even get to this point, though, and that's something you can't force someone to accept. They're going to finally come to that point on their own. Or they might not. If they are really able to stick to their banned food method of eating for a lifetime...well, great for them. It would send me into a spiral of binging eventually, however.
  • sweetychang
    sweetychang Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    I "deprive" myself of certain things because I have no self-control around them. It's... really not rocket science. I have a goal, and I'm not going to reach that goal if I'm binging on four bagels a night or five ounces of cheese with lunch.

Exactly what I'm saying, sure I can taste those things but on what self control...honestly if I had a form of self control concerning bread and everything bread I'm positive I wouldn't be looking for a goal weight, to get back to.
  • PittyPine
    PittyPine Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat alot of what I want but I due to my personal health and other issues i really cut out fried foods years ago. Now, I will have them from time to time.. I eat pretty much what I want.. I just don't eat too much of it. I lost 18 pounds in a year by not really trying too hard and just using moderation. I think you can eat what she is suggesting.. you just won't get to eat too much of it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

While I agree in principle (as an ex-smoker, I have not had one since I quit nor do I ever plan to again), the thing about food is that you have to eat it. You just have to, you don't have the choice of not eating it. You don't have to smoke or drink alcohol. And eventually, you're going to encounter temptation, and you're going to cave and want to eat that donuts... but because you haven't had them so long, you're going to want to eat ALL OF THE DONUTS. I think it's better to teach yourself, as hard as it is, to have one and enjoy it then to not eat it at all. I think that's a more sustainable way to approach eating and weight loss because the longer you deprive yourself, the harder you will fall when you give in. Trust me... I've lost weight and regained it all three times because I didn't learn my lesson with moderation. It takes practice, but it's better to learn how to live with eating one donut than to eat perfectly for x amount of time before losing control. You always do at some point.

I don't want to eat ALL OF THE DONUTS.

I took a break from counting and food obsession over the holidays. I decided to also indulge. I imagines my daily trips to Dunkin Donuts.

By day two, I was over the indulging. I wanted my berries for breakfast and thought, "No, I'm indulging!" Then I realized how stupid it was to force myself to eat junk I didn't want and decided to just have my berries. I never made a single trip to Dunkin Donuts. I didn't want the donuts.

I used to really like the donuts. It was hard as hell to give them up. Now, it would be equally hard to go back to eating that stuff.

I LIKE what I eat. I feel BETTER when I eat it. I am NOT deprived.

If you feel that you must include these things on a regular basis in order to prevent yourself from wanting ALL OF THE DONUTS, then that's a great plan for you.

It doesn't mean it's necessary, advisable or even desired by every single other person.

Some people demonize elimination. They see moderation as black and white. You either eat in moderation, which is "good" or you eat too much/not enough junk, which is "bad."

They cannot see that what is right for one isn't necessarily right for all. Don't fall into that trap.
  • ndj1979
    Options

You also seem to be assuming deprivation and self torture. Nothing in the OP suggests that, other than her assumption.

Ok - just read all the posts on here about "evil sugar" "bad carbs" "cutting sugar 100%" "water fasts" "clean eating" etc, etc..and tell me that is not happening...

• ndj1979
    Options
    Because some people don't want to eat food that triggers their bad habits. Carb/sweet addiction is a real thing. I avoid 99% of refined carbs and all sweets because I don't feel like triggering my issues with my "problem foods."

I also am of the strong opinion that eating at a calorie deficit, while it might be enough for WEIGHT LOSS, isn't enough for HEALTH. You get back what you put in. It's easier to maintain weight loss if most (it never has to be ALL!) of what you put in your body is healthy, allowing you to develop better habits.

But hey, good for you having it all figured out to where you can look down on others :p

if carb/sweet addiction is real then I suggest you check yourself into rehab or join a 12 step program ..

are you addicted to fruit too???? Because sugar and carbs...?
  • queen_of_disaster
    queen_of_disaster Posts: 61 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Some people demonize elimination. They see moderation as black and white. You either eat in moderation, which is "good" or you eat too much/not enough junk, which is "bad."

What the what? What is that even supposed to mean?

Don't get it twisted, I never said to force yourself to eat "bad" food, LOL. Eat what you want, when you want, make sure it fits your calories, and you're good to go. No need to completely deprive yourself of sweets, breads, etc. etc. because they're arbitrarily considered "bad." No one is disputing the fact that broccoli has more micronutrients than a donut, but categorizing foods as "bad" or "good" is the definition of black and white thinking.

It's the dose that makes the poison.

But I mean, if you want to completely eliminate certain things from your diet... You do you. It's hard to learn how to eat in moderation but IMO it gets easier over time to control yourself around trigger foods if you allow yourself to have them.
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bambarby wrote: »
    It's difficult to eat these food in moderation. Once you start, you just can't stop. Eating them a little bit "whenever" doesn't work with some people.

Exactly!
  • ndj1979
    Options

What the what? What is that even supposed to mean?

Don't get it twisted, I never said to force yourself to eat "bad" food, LOL. Eat what you want, when you want, make sure it fits your calories, and you're good to go. No need to completely deprive yourself of sweets, breads, etc. etc. because they're arbitrarily considered "bad." No one is disputing the fact that broccoli has more micronutrients than a donut, but categorizing foods as "bad" or "good" is the definition of black and white thinking.

It's the dose that makes the poison.

But I mean, if you want to completely eliminate certain things from your diet... You do you. It's hard to learn how to eat in moderation but IMO it gets easier over time to control yourself around trigger foods if you allow yourself to have them.

you are better off just disengaging ...

that one has no clue about dosage and dietary context...

you have been warned...