Why deprive yourself of delicious foods?

Options

Replies

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    because demonizing foods as "bad" and then blaming weight gain on them, then makes it easier to jut 100% restrict said foods and use them as a crutch ...

when you boil it down there are no good and bad foods. What matters is your overall diet...context and dosage is important, not individual food choices...

Bingo.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I think it may have something to do with all the weight loss "information" out there - television shows (biggest loser), ads, workout DVDs, diets, marketing methods.. most of it suggests to the public that you can't lose weight while eating these things. People tend to believe what they are told unless they are smart or curious enough to look it up for themselves. Sheep mentality.

agree...pseudo science + broscience + fitness industry = mass misinformation ...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I think it may have something to do with all the weight loss "information" out there - television shows (biggest loser), ads, workout DVDs, diets, marketing methods.. most of it suggests to the public that you can't lose weight while eating these things. People tend to believe what they are told unless they are smart or curious enough to look it up for themselves. Sheep mentality.

Yep....that's what I see through out these forums!!
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love when people say to me "are you allowed to eat that while trying to lose weight"

Yes I can, as long as I don't eat the whole bag or box, etc.
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am not cutting out junk food 100% but I am trying to eat more fruits and veggies. I have IBS so for me cutting back on junk makes me feel better physically.
  • crimsonpaw
    crimsonpaw Posts: 12 Member
    Options

alternate suggestion ...

if you ate a little of what you liked each day, maybe you would not feel the need to have a "all bets are off blow out" once a week ...

Thanks for the suggestion, but I find it easier to allow one day. Also, when I say "all bets are off", that's not to say I enter into a 13000 calories eat-a-thon, it just means that I allow myself to avoid focusing so hard on my food choices for a meal or two.

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    What is "on a diet"? My diet is quite healthy. I do choose to avoid some foods that, in my opinion, are not that nutritious. But that isn't deprivation. For example, I think McDonald's food is crap. To each his own, but I choose never to eat there. I've also chosen to find healthier alternatives to some foods like fried foods. That again isn't deprivation. I do believe in moderation. I do eat out all the time, especially on weekends.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    WHY ARE ALL THE POSTS DISAGREEING WITH OP FLAGGED?!?!?! OP can have her OPINION but others cant?

Clearly all the posts have been abusive to the 18 yo expert.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
  • txteachermom
    txteachermom Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Okay, so be prepared for a rant.

Why do people deprive themselves of foods like chocolate, fried stuff, whatever when on a diet? These foods are not the enemy! The person eating them lacks self control, which is the true enemy. I hate going through my news feed and seeing people say "I never go out to eat" "I don't eat that trash" and I'm like dude moderation is key, not deprivation.

I'm determined to show people that you can lose weight and eat "trash" whenever you please. Again, it's all about moderation.

This. All of it. Seriously. My diary is open, anyone who wants to is welcome to look at it. I eat chocolate, I eat pizza, I eat things that a lot of people may consider "trash." But guess what, I'm still losing, because I eat at a calorie deficit. That's all that matters. It's really that simple.
  • queen_of_disaster
    queen_of_disaster Posts: 61 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's because we moralize what we eat. When we categorize foods between the polarities of "good" and "bad," it creates a black and white thinking where our choices are a reflection of ourselves. We're "good" for eating this and "bad" for eating that. Deprivation and restriction means you've been "good," so in this kind of black and white thinking you're either perfect for making good choices or you're bad because you've allowed yourself to eat something that is "bad" for you. There's no allowance for a grey area where you're allowed to eat everything, whether it's categorized as healthy or unhealthy, good or bad, in moderation.

It's an easy mindset to get trapped in. You're either perfect, or completely out of control. It takes a while to unlearn this kind of thinking and to look at it more as "No food is either good or bad"--I'm still struggling to internalize that idea, but I'm trying to think of it more as this: I'm not a bad person for wanting chocolate and allowing myself to have it, every day if I want to, but in smaller amounts than I would usually allow. It's better than restricting and then spiralling into an out-of-control binge once I taste the smallest bite because, in this kind of mindset, once I've been "bad" I give myself tacit permission to keep going because once I've ruined the "perfect" day it's all over.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    qpmomma1 wrote: »
    I am not cutting out junk food 100% but I am trying to eat more fruits and veggies. I have IBS so for me cutting back on junk makes me feel better physically.

what is this junk food that you speak of...?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I think it's because we moralize what we eat. When we categorize foods between the polarities of "good" and "bad," it creates a black and white thinking where our choices are a reflection of ourselves. We're "good" for eating this and "bad" for eating that. Deprivation and restriction means you've been "good," so in this kind of black and white thinking you're either perfect for making good choices or you're bad because you've allowed yourself to eat something that is "bad" for you.

It's an easy mindset to get trapped in. You're either perfect, or completely out of control. It takes a while to unlearn this kind of thinking and to look at it more as "No food is either good or bad"--I'm still struggling to internalize this, but I'm trying to think of it more as this: I'm not a bad person for wanting chocolate and allowing myself to have it, every day if I want to, but in smaller amounts than I would usually allow. It's better than restricting and then spiralling into an out-of-control binge once I taste the smallest bite because once I've been "bad" I give myself tacit permission to keep going because once I've ruined the "perfect" day it's all over.

well said...

I would just add in that an easier way to look at it instead of individual food choice, try to look at your day as a whole. Did you eat ice cream, chocolate, but still hit your calorie/micro/macro goals for the day? If yes, then you are good to go. If no, then adjustments need to be made the next day.

^ IMO that is an easier mindset than looking at each food and saying this is "good" and this is "bad"...or this is "bad" but how do I fit it into my day...just make your day fit the foods that you want to eat, and hit your goals/targets.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Why do people deprive themselves of foods like chocolate, fried stuff, whatever when on a diet? These foods are not the enemy! The person eating them lacks self control, which is the true enemy. I hate going through my news feed and seeing people say "I never go out to eat" "I don't eat that trash" and I'm like dude moderation is key, not deprivation.

I'm determined to show people that you can lose weight and eat "trash" whenever you please. Again, it's all about moderation.

This. All of it. Seriously. My diary is open, anyone who wants to is welcome to look at it. I eat chocolate, I eat pizza, I eat things that a lot of people may consider "trash." But guess what, I'm still losing, because I eat at a calorie deficit. That's all that matters. It's really that simple.

If you re-read the OP though, you'll see that it never says anyone said "I can't eat that trash" or "I can't go out to eat". It says "I don't". Huge difference.

People should eat what they want while losing weight, not what you or the OP wants.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it "depriving" myself nor do I lack self control. That fact is that when I eat healthy I feel great and when I don't eat healthy, even in moderation, I feel terrible.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    I don't consider it "depriving" myself nor do I lack self control. That fact is that when I eat healthy I feel great and when I don't eat healthy, even in moderation, I feel terrible.

define healthy vs unhealthy?
  • ndj1979
    Options

If you re-read the OP though, you'll see that it never says anyone said "I can't eat that trash" or "I can't go out to eat". It says "I don't". Huge difference.

People should eat what they want while losing weight, not what you or the OP wants.

I believe she was quoting people from her news feed saying "I eat trash..."

so the "I" was referring to people on her friend list and not the OP herself...

• cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I know myself. I can't have just one doughnut...or one bite of pie...or one piece of chocolate. I go overboard. I agree with you it's not the food that's the enemy. It's ourselves. I just stay away from all of it because I know I have no self-control. You can relate to any other addiction. A person who is trying to quit smoking, can't have one cigarette...a person whose trying to get sober, can't have just one drink...a drug addict, can't do cocaine just one time. It's kind of like, if I eat the doughnut (even if it is one), I've let my addiction get the better of me. I'd rather just stay away from it all and pick healthy substitutes. To each their own though!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I agree, I eat whatever I want and I booze all weekend, but I work out big time!, it works for me. here today,gone tomorrow. enjoy life to the fullest.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I believe she was quoting people from her news feed saying "I eat trash..."

so the "I" was referring to people on her friend list and not the OP herself...

Yes, I got that. My point was, she is assuming these people think they can't eat trash or go out to eat, rather than they simply choose not to.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    WHY ARE ALL THE POSTS DISAGREEING WITH OP FLAGGED?!?!?! OP can have her OPINION but others cant?

Better question: why is the OP flagged (as of now) 3 times?