June = 30 Day Shred... who is with me?

Options

Replies

• TheMiddlePath
    TheMiddlePath Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Me .. I started on the 1st June, and have done 3 workouts so far.

My upper strength is already improving, and whereas I could only use the bigger weights for the first few reps, I can now get through at least the first set before resorting to baked bean cans.

Question .. my knees are sore today - or rather just above my knees, on the inside. Do I continue with workout 4, or take a day off to prevent injury?

Great job! Haha! The great thing is that when you couldn't use the bigger weights, you still used something and didn't give up! WTG!

RE: soreness above your knee... I'm not a doctor and no one is qualified to give you true advice without seeing you. What I would do is try to discern if it is DOMS or delayed onset muscle soreness - perhaps from a muscle you haven't used before or if it is joint pain. I always google what I'm feeling and see how other people describe it. Once I get some perspective, that little voice tells me what to do. The most important thing is that you don't injure yourself. If it truly HURTS to lunge or something and it's not just hard to do because you're weak or not used to something, then DON'T DO IT. Listen to your body and let it guide you.

Thanks for sharing!
  • TheMiddlePath
    Options
    Day 3 down! I'm not taking any rest days. I don't know where people are coming from that the program was designed to have rest days.

I'm not sure where they are getting the info but I just know I haven't researched it enough to say otherwise. I just saw the text file said Level 1 for day 1-10. Level 2 for day 11-20. and Level 3 for day 21-30. I'm going to follow this. I am probably still going to do some strength training like I started doing before and with that I will take rest days. Also, the squat challenge has rest days incorporated on the chart. But for me, like you, as far as the Shred...my goal is every day.
  • TheMiddlePath
    Options
    Not gonna lie. I'm a little sore. Especially in my arms. WHOOO No pain, no gain, right? lol

Way to work thru it! GO YOU!
  • TheMiddlePath
    Options
    I'm definitely in. Summer is the best time for it. I'm already ahead of yall though. ;-) But, I added an extra 3 weeks. Today is week two. In total, this is week 8. Don't stop guys, keep going. 30 days is plenty to see and feel results. Best of luck to everyone!

You look pretty shredded already...lol ;) Have you been taking rest days?
  • TheMiddlePath
    Options
    I'm in, I wish I would've seen this on the first but it's okay, I'm starting today! I've done this workout before and it works as long as you stick with it. The shoulder raise/lunge part is the hardest for me as well. We can do this though...I always remind myself that it's only a 20 minute workout so it's definitely do-able!! :)

I've been using 3lbs in each hand for the first set of the shoulder raise/side lunge and for the second set, I use one 3lb weight with both hands so I can complete the exercise in good form. I'm hoping to see progress soon. I def have weak shoulders...for now!

For the other exercises...
    push-ups...on my knees :/ - first set I get about 15, second set 8-10
    squat and press - 5lbs in each hand
    rows - 10lbs in each hand both sets
    static lunge and curls - using 5lbs in each hand - going to try more weight tomorrow
    chest flys - 10lbs in each hand
    shoulder raise/side lunge - see above

Let's see what day 4 brings tomorrow :)
  • jikkenkekka
    Options
    I did day 2 (of level 1) today before lunch. Just went for a walk yesterday instead of 30DS but was still fairly sore today (I'm just getting back into exercising after months of not making time for it regularly). The past couple of days I've felt stiffer as they day has worn on, so in future I'll try to make sure I'm continuing to fit this in before it gets too late. I've done 30DS before (though I didn't complete it) and it took until around day 4 for me to not be hurting quite so much afterwards, heh. So we'll see how this round goes. On day 1 this time around my body was like "THIS IS THE WORST. THIS IS EVEN WORSE THAN LAST TIME" but I very distinctly remember being so shaky after the first day of my first attempt that I nearly fell down in the shower afterwards, so that's really just my out of shape body whining. XD

I *HATE HATE HATE* the side lunge/shoulder raise things. Definitely my least favorite bit, though I also hate the jumping jacks (the first couple of sets I can usually get through without too much difficulty, but around the third set I start wheezing). My favorite bit is chest flys. I also don't mind the standard crunches, though maybe that's just in comparison to how much I suck at the reverse and bicycle crunches. My legs don't want to be in the air that long lol.

What do you guys like best out of the exercises in whatever level you're on now?
  • Nico_the_enabler
    Nico_the_enabler Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Did day 2 today. And I have to say. I don't think I quite gave it my all. I think I was scared of todays workout more than I realised and was kinda pacing myself. Tomorrow (assuming I can move) I will not hold anything back. :)
    As far as highs and lows of the workout go. The hardest is still the pressups. I can do about half of one set. And I can't go down very far as my belly hits the floor. :/ Obviously I have a very weak upper body. That being said. The reverse crunches are a killer and I havn't managed a set of those yet. Just dont have the strength. 3rd place goes to the skipping rope. Everything.. bounces. Its super uncomfortable.
    On the 'easy' side, I like the standard crunches. The Chest flys and the boxing :)
    I hear tomorrow will be the sorest. So I am tentitively hoping tomorrow goes fast. :)
    Keep it up all. Only 20 min and its worth it.
  • MelClaire2000
    Options
    Re: rest days. I have read before that even Jillian suggests taking at least one rest day (or two) a week. Plus if you look at Ripped in 30 DVD which she did later but has the same format as the Shred, she specifically mentions it at the beginning of the workout.

The first time I did the Shred I didn't take rest days. This time around I am taking one rest day a week and let me tell you there is a huge difference. Rest days help! I did the workout for 5 days then a rest day to start (missed starting on a Monday thanks to Memorial Day/Bank Holiday) and yesterday was my first day back (for day 6 of the workout) after the rest day.....I felt so much better and was so much stronger than I had been before when I didn't take a rest day....so I highly recommend....let your muscles rebuild every 5-6 days or so and I think it will go better for you....IMO.
  • geekgirl_2012
    geekgirl_2012 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Day 4... level 1 done! It was a bit easier than yesterday. Don't get me wrong, it's still hard for me. I'm grateful for the arm flies (?)... that section seems like a break. The arm raises with side lunges...killer! I've read that level 3 is ridiculously difficult... I'm a little scared. ;)
  • geekgirl_2012
    geekgirl_2012 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... thanks for posting this. I kept thinking that rest days wouldn't be so important since it's "only a 20 minute workout." But, I might consider tossing in a a few rest days. Thanks for posting.
  • fran192
    fran192 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi all - can I join? I'm not doing the 30DS but ripped in 30 instead - did first one last night and just need a bit of encouragement!! I want to lose about another 16lb to hit my goal weight and am also eating Diet Chef meals to calorie count. Feeling rather stiff today! Hope you're all getting on well with it!
  • AbbyH1016
    AbbyH1016 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just finished day 3! I surprised myself at how many more reps I can do compared to day 1! Can't wait to see how day 10 will be :)

I really regret that work out -said no one ever
  • laurajane19901
    Options
    I'm doing day 3 tonight after work :) I'm so sore and stiff today! Must be working ;)
  • SMFRN
    SMFRN Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Day 4 done. For me, its getting better and not so sore. Im not a fan of the side lunges but I will keeping working at it. Doing push-ups from the knees yet. Hope that gets easier too! Good luck everyone!
  • jikkenkekka
    Options
    The hardest is still the pressups. I can do about half of one set.

lol oh yeah, I forgot about the push ups... I think my mind has just blocked those out because I don't like to think about how embarrassingly bad I am at them. XD
  • demarii06
    demarii06 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Day 4 completed! I've gotten so much better with the side lunges. They no longer feel like acid dripping down my arms lol this video makes me ready to try insanity or P90x since 30DS isn't so rough.
  • xxcandywrathxx
    xxcandywrathxx Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Im on day 5 (ive had one break day however, im terrible!)

Id love to do the 30 day shred with you guys. I have tried doing it before but got unmotivated and distracted quickly like I do with most exercises.

This is the longest ive done it so far! Heres hoping I can keep it going. :)
  • rhinosfan
    rhinosfan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, Completed day 5 of level 1 today. Have to say as Jillian says on the DVD about people on day 5,6,7 noticing a real difference in their endurance, I definitely am!

I actually looked forward to doing this today but then it is the first day that my calves haven't hurt me so much that it hurts to walk :smile:

I can do more press ups (still do the easy ones on my knees) and don't get as tired on the cardio sections.

Still struggle with the side lunges, especially the 2nd round as my arms just refuse to lift the weights any higher than my chest after the first go.

After reading here decided that I'm going to take tomorrow as a rest day then since I'm half way through level one will try and follow Natalie when I start the next day. Hope I can manage this as even following Anita is hard enough.
  • blackeraser
    Options
    Finished day 1.
    I FEEL SHAKY
  • zummerzet_lou
    zummerzet_lou Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Day 4 completed :-)

Managed to do all press-ups on my knees (previously I had to revert to box press-ups), and managed to do even more exercises with the heavy weights.

Knees are still a little sore, but not too bad