What can I replace bread with?

Options

Replies

• _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    @tcraw15 - Well, my GF is a vegetarian, she doesn't like being around meat at all and she eats a lot of quorn and meat free products, which I sometimes eat myself. Also, I eat a lot of fish and eggs (love prawns and tuna) and I do take vitamins, garlic tablets, etc, so I usually do OK for protein, I rarely ever feel weak and depleted of energy, so I must be getting enough!

I know what you mean about depriving myself of everything, but I was never really "hooked" on junk food, I used to eat it because it was quick alternative to cooking something, my weakness was things like pizza, chips and fried rice - basically carbs! But I can easily replicate meals like that myself, I just need to put the effort in with cooking!

I'm not much of a drinker anymore these days! I sound like an old man and I'm only 28, but I pretty much gave up drinking about 2 years ago, it was a drain on my pocket, health and all round lifestyle! I do have a drink on special occasions sometimes, mainly a friend or family members birthday, something like that!

You should get yourself checked out about the whole stomach bloating thing, I wish that would happen to me when I ate it, that would be a good incentive to give up, lol.
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    I agree with chocolatedi - BUT I do find my day goes better if I don't start with bread. When I have eggs, I usually have spinach - a big bunch of it - that I fry up inthe pan after the eggs are done. I use salt or curry powder or chinese spice, etc to spice it up a bit. It's delicious.

Spinach, I love spinach! I'll give that a try! Although, I won't fry it, I usually eat my eggs poached!
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    my favourite bread substitute is sesame ryvita. I love my eggs also, I boil an egg just to the point where the yolks are beginning to set (about 7 minutes), run it under cold water, peel the shell off, slice it in half, yolk side down on ryvita, abit freshly ground black pepper and a smidgeon of ground coarse salt....mmmmmMMMMMmmmmm
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    @tcraw15 - Well, my GF is a vegetarian, she doesn't like being around meat at all and she eats a lot of quorn and meat free products, which I sometimes eat myself. Also, I eat a lot of fish and eggs (love prawns and tuna) and I do take vitamins, garlic tablets, etc, so I usually do OK for protein, I rarely ever feel weak and depleted of energy, so I must be getting enough!

I know what you mean about depriving myself of everything, but I was never really "hooked" on junk food, I used to eat it because it was quick alternative to cooking something, my weakness was things like pizza, chips and fried rice - basically carbs! But I can easily replicate meals like that myself, I just need to put the effort in with cooking!

I'm not much of a drinker anymore these days! I sound like an old man and I'm only 28, but I pretty much gave up drinking about 2 years ago, it was a drain on my pocket, health and all round lifestyle! I do have a drink on special occasions sometimes, mainly a friend or family members birthday, something like that!

You should get yourself checked out about the whole stomach bloating thing, I wish that would happen to me when I ate it, that would be a good incentive to give up, lol.

Oh, I see. Well that makes sense. I don't drink that often. But when I do, I put it down. Lol. I may drink like once or twice a month. So I guess that's my only weakness. And yeah, I may have to get that checked out, now that you mention it. But it is a pretty good incentive for sure! Good luck to you on finding the right fit for a bread alternative. :)
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Yes if you can fit bread into your daily allowance, why not. Personally I don't eat much bread but love poached eggs, so I make them, put them into a mug with salt and pepper and break them up with a teaspoon (so it's like runny egg mayonnaise without the mayonnaise) then eat with the same teaspoon. Lovely! And no mess or bread!
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    my favourite bread substitute is sesame ryvita. I love my eggs also, I boil an egg just to the point where the yolks are beginning to set (about 7 minutes), run it under cold water, peel the shell off, slice it in half, yolk side down on ryvita, abit freshly ground black pepper and a smidgeon of ground coarse salt....mmmmmMMMMMmmmmm

I do eat crackerbreads, in fact, I could probably fully replace bread with them and melba toast, just I couldn't do it with my breakfast! When I eat eggs, I gotta have bread! >.<
  • rebuena
    rebuena Posts: 9
    Options
    http://www.iherb.com/Finn-Crisp-Thin-Rye-Crispbread-Original-7-oz-200-g/32870

I eat every morning 3 slices with 2 eggs, o 2 slices with 1 egg :)
    Love them, they tasty, low in calories, low in sugar, but they're not as soft as bread :)
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    http://www.iherb.com/Finn-Crisp-Thin-Rye-Crispbread-Original-7-oz-200-g/32870

I eat every morning 3 slices with 2 eggs, o 2 slices with 1 egg :)
    Love them, they tasty, low in calories, low in sugar, but they're not as soft as bread :)

Hey, I think I have seen these in the supermarket I'll check them out. Thanks!
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    Yes if you can fit bread into your daily allowance, why not. Personally I don't eat much bread but love poached eggs, so I make them, put them into a mug with salt and pepper and break them up with a teaspoon (so it's like runny egg mayonnaise without the mayonnaise) then eat with the same teaspoon. Lovely! And no mess or bread!

Yeah, poached eggs are the best. Unfortunately I don't think I would feel full enough eating just the poached eggs without any toast, that's why I'm trying to find an alternative!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • heywithers
    heywithers Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    oI didn't read every reply bc i am too lazy but my suggestion is to limit the bread to only in the morning so you can burn it off through out the day and if you are making a sandwich only use one piece of bread instead of two. I have switched out my tortilla wraps for sweet lettuce cups and i devour it, doesn't bother me at all- you may be different but try wrapping foods in lettuce instead of wrapped in flour products. hope that helps!
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    oI didn't read every reply bc i am too lazy but my suggestion is to limit the bread to only in the morning so you can burn it off through out the day and if you are making a sandwich only use one piece of bread instead of two. I have switched out my tortilla wraps for sweet lettuce cups and i devour it, doesn't bother me at all- you may be different but try wrapping foods in lettuce instead of wrapped in flour products. hope that helps!

Yeah, someone else suggested that, I'd never heard of using lettuce as a substitute, I will most certainly give it a try!
  • lublue
    lublue Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    on the contrary, you can eat cracker bread with your poached egg. i do!
  • samsteve2012
    samsteve2012 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I also love bread, tried to cut it out compleatly but failed, i now have weight watchers bread or nimble bread, its only 50ish calories per slice, its very thin and light but at least you get the bread craving you desire :-)
  • rebuena
    rebuena Posts: 9
    Options
    another option if you have any polish/russian/lithuanian shops in your area, they should have a dark rye bread. There is light rye brad which is light brown and there is dark rye bread which is really dark. My favourite is "Ajeru duona" the most delicious bread ever... all that kingsmill taste like cotton compared with that bread :) and obviously the health benefits of rye bread :)
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Bread is *fine*. There is absolutely no reason to cut out bread - you just need to limit your intake, which you've already done, so you don't have a diet problem - you have a psychological one.

The problem with COMPLETELY removing *anything* (even soda, lollies, chocolate etc) from your diet is that you will eventually feel deprived and be far more likely to binge than to simply moderate and fit these things into your macros. Diet actually means 'what you eat', so when you start telling yourself you're eating 'this way, for this period of time' eventually that period of time will come to an end and old habits will resurface. Don't temporarily restrict - change your long term habits. Small portions, no 'banned' foods and moderate amounts of everything a normal person eats will be far more sustainable. Think longer term than "I want to lose X amount of weight in X amount of time!"
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've been rather taken by rice cake thins at 12 calories each!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I can't eat bread because I'm sensitive to gluten, so I make wraps with white corn tortillas. Yum!

I wouldn't cut out anything unless I was willing to do it for the rest of my life. Otherwise, when you starting eating "normally" again the weight is gonna come back on. So I continue to happily enjoy my chocolate, pasta and potato chips - I just make sure that most of what I eat is healthy and that any junk I eat fits within my calories! :drinker:
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bread is *fine*. There is absolutely no reason to cut out bread - you just need to limit your intake, which you've already done, so you don't have a diet problem - you have a psychological one.

The problem with COMPLETELY removing *anything* (even soda, lollies, chocolate etc) from your diet is that you will eventually feel deprived and be far more likely to binge than to simply moderate and fit these things into your macros. Diet actually means 'what you eat', so when you start telling yourself you're eating 'this way, for this period of time' eventually that period of time will come to an end and old habits will resurface. Don't temporarily restrict - change your long term habits. Small portions, no 'banned' foods and moderate amounts of everything a normal person eats will be far more sustainable. Think longer term than "I want to lose X amount of weight in X amount of time!"

Great advice in this post,

I just don't ban anything from my diet & after years of trying I know what I should be eating & what is not so good to eat lots of. I have just been working on the figures that MFP suggests each day & have done very well over the last year, I eat bread (Homemade) because I like it & I know if I could not eat it I would want to binge then feel guilty which would send me into feeling crap about myself again so I would eat. Not going back there, so I am eating what I want but always keep to my targets unless I'm on holiday or out for a meal, the less I have to change my lifestyle around my diet the less of a chore it is & it's working :).
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't be surprised if the subway veggie pattie thing is 'worse' in most ways than the meat.

If you're trying to lose weight, then protein is important.

As are calories - people that cut out bread and soda with sugar in are often cutting out a lot of calories.
    If that's your way of doing it; sure, go for it - but if you are monitoring your calories and want to have some bread, which 'fits your macros', then I don't see a reason to do so :).

Saying that, on the point above - for me Cheese has to be pretty much 'all or nothing'; I'm really not great at eating just small quantities of cheese and large quantities certainly don't fit my macros. Will sometimes get weight watchers cheese, which has similar macros to an egg - but even then I tend to eat the whole 420 calorie 200g packet in a day.