What can I replace bread with?

Options

Replies

• dancerbyday
    Options
    I've found that you can replace bread with a rice cake much of the time, and just about anything pasta with brown rice. And if you just HAVE to have a sandwich, try having it open faced, which cuts out half the bread. I recently went gluten-free, and they do make some pretty good gluten-free bread if you want to try it. Udi's and Rudi's are good. And it was really hard to give up bread at first (and I mean REALLY hard), but you get used to it after a month or two, and then you don't crave it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I've found that you can replace bread with a rice cake much of the time, and just about anything pasta with brown rice. And if you just HAVE to have a sandwich, try having it open faced, which cuts out half the bread. I recently went gluten-free, and they do make some pretty good gluten-free bread if you want to try it. Udi's and Rudi's are good. And it was really hard to give up bread at first (and I mean REALLY hard), but you get used to it after a month or two, and then you don't crave it.

both those fall apart pretty easily though and udi's sandwich bread has HUGE holes in it to the point that my mayo, mustard (and once even tomato slice) squeezes through the holes :grumble:

i'm still waiting for some decent mass produced gluten free bread that can work for sandwiches
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that unless you have a health reason, why cut it out? In thin countries, rice and bread is a staple food, and they're not suffering from obesity issues. I do make sure not to go heavy on them though, as they're not really filling. A lot of people substitute it with lettuce (wrapping a burger in lettuce instead of using a bun).

Actually in really thin countries, like Japan, Thailand, the Philipines, and most of South East Asia bread is not even part of the native diet. Rice yes, but no bread.....at least in the more than 20 years I worked and lived there, I had a really hard time to find bread and compensated and turned into a rice addict.
    Like with all kinds of addictions many people who are addicted to starch it is almost not an option to just cut down on bread, rice or pasta. Often it is necessary to just to completely get rid of them. I did two month ago and am doing well with no cravings at all. But I know that if I would allow myself any of the three even in small amounts with any regularity, I could not do it. I think it's great if some people can just cut down, but I am sure that I am not the only one who has to avoid them pretty much alltogether.
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I love Josephs pita bread with omega's & flax seed. Only 60 calories for a pita and only 5 net carbs. I have issues that require low carb so this works for me. I toast them, make grilled cheese, have peanut butter & banana's, scrambled egg sandwiches or whatever. Our Wal Mart carries them in the deli section.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that unless you have a health reason, why cut it out? In thin countries, rice and bread is a staple food, and they're not suffering from obesity issues. I do make sure not to go heavy on them though, as they're not really filling. A lot of people substitute it with lettuce (wrapping a burger in lettuce instead of using a bun).

Actually in really thin countries, like Japan, Thailand, the Philipines, and most of South East Asia bread is not even part of the native diet. Rice yes, but no bread.....at least in the more than 20 years I worked and lived there, I had a really hard time to find bread and compensated and turned into a rice addict.
    Like with all kinds of addictions many people who are addicted to starch it is almost not an option to just cut down on bread, rice or pasta. Often it is necessary to just to completely get rid of them. I did two month ago and am doing well with no cravings at all. But I know that if I would allow myself any of the three even in small amounts with any regularity, I could not do it. I think it's great if some people can just cut down, but I am sure that I am not the only one who has to avoid them pretty much alltogether.

Italy is another "thin" country, and they eat a lot of different types of bread. Granted, you buy it at a bakery or the like. They also eat a lot of gelato. Not to mention, in the cities, people in Italy tend to walk everywhere they go and tend to be more active than they are here, and their food generally isn't processed with a bunch of crap.
  • newlife6745
    newlife6745 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I recently started eating Flatouts (wheat). They are big and 100 calories. I use them instead of two slices of bread (wraps for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
  • aquinoz
    aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Oroweat sandwich thins..
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a ton of bread mostly because the whole wheat kind is really calorie dense, but I don't cut it out completely, I just choose to eat less of it. Instead of a sandwich I will make wrap with a whole wheat tortilla. I also really love Brownberry's sandwich thins or pocket thins. Each has a 100 calories per serving. I also use the thin bagels from time to time.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Yes if you can fit bread into your daily allowance, why not. Personally I don't eat much bread but love poached eggs, so I make them, put them into a mug with salt and pepper and break them up with a teaspoon (so it's like runny egg mayonnaise without the mayonnaise) then eat with the same teaspoon. Lovely! And no mess or bread!

Yeah, poached eggs are the best. Unfortunately I don't think I would feel full enough eating just the poached eggs without any toast, that's why I'm trying to find an alternative!

Haven't read most of the replies, but thought I'd jump in here:

I love toast with poached eggs (or any soft-cooked egg). A good substitute for the toast/bread here are roasted root vegetables. You get the satisfying combo of eggs and starches, but the root vegetables (I find) are more satisfying (and probably a bit more nutritious) in the long run. The key here is to make a batch ahead of time and then reheat them (microwave, gently) when you want them. They keep nicely in the fridge for about a week.

My basic recipe: Cut veggies (sweet potato, turnips, carrots, parsnips (awesome roasted), rutabaga, etc., into 1 to 2-inch cubes. Toss with some EV olive oil & salt & pepper, roast in 400 degree oven on baking pan for 30 to 45 minutes, checking for doneness at about the 30-minute mark. For me, they're done when you can insert a sharp knife to the center of a few test veggies without much resistance.

One final comment: I've cut back on bread (too big a hit in calories), but I haven't cut it out completely. I try to limit it to once a day, and usually later in the day since it tends to make me a bit hungry. But even then, I'm flexible.

Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    LMFAO at this thread....so many myths. It's amazing what kind of **** people believe.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    LMFAO at this thread....so many myths. It's amazing what kind of **** people believe.

QFT
  • jazz0208
    jazz0208 Posts: 13
    Options
    I've cut out bread completely - normally had it for breakfast and lunch.

Now have porridge made with water for breakfast, or some fruit.
    And for my lunch now I either have shakes and some fruit or veg, low fat soup, or I have a full plate of salad with some chicken.

I am really missing bread but noticed how much smaller my stomach is! Maybe if you can't cut it out completely, have it every other day for your lunch with some salad?
  • DominicLucock
    Options
    Did someone really suggest Omelette with cheese as an alternative to bread?!

just lost faith in humanity.

If you like bread then eat your damn bread! just don't have 2 slices with every meal. Fit it in your calories/macros and get on with your life.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've more or less given up bread and not missed it one bit (previously a very big bread eater)
  • BrittanyMegan88
    BrittanyMegan88 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I agree! Why does everyone want cauliflower to be something it is not....it is NOT mashed potatoes....it is not pizza crust or pie crust....it is not bread...IT IS A VEGGIE THAT IS GREAT ALL BY ITSELF AS A VEGGIE!
    I love cauliflower as a veggie too, but it's yummy other ways also. Gee people, it was just a suggestion. I also eat soy & tofu made up to taste like burgers and chicken and stuff & I think it's really yummy. The same idea goes with almond milk or rice milk. Almonds and rice are yummy as are too, but also super yummy as milk.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I have to limit my wheat flour consumption (gives me pimples) Trader Joes has a rice flour bread that, to me, tastes just like wheat bread. I've had it with poached eggs and made sandwiches with it and I can't taste the difference. They also have pasta that is really good.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Replace bread with... bread? Why cut bread? It's amazing!
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea of moderation on bread. Have one slice instead of two. For my toast I use whole wheat English muffins, lower in calories. But where I am there aren't millions and millions of bread choices (or they are hard to get).

If I want a sandwich, normally its one piece of bread cut in half for a half sandwich with a side of veggies or something. I love my rice at supper so I definitely layoff a bit during the day depending my plans.
  • paintedladytc2010
    Options
    I have gout and can't eat bread often because of the yeast. So here's how I cope: I eat pancakes (1/3 cup of bisquick per pancake),
    rice cakes, or flour tortillas. If the fast food people can do it, so can I. I make a breakfast tortilla...egg and cheese. Or, I do a
    lunch tortilla. You can even make a flour tortilla pizza (diced tomatoes-without the juice; any toppings you like). Flour tortilla
    sprayed with cooking spray front and back then sprinkled with cinnamon for a dessert crunchy. If you can eat pita bread (which
    I don't anymore :( you can cut them in 8 pieces and dip in olive oil (maybe you can spray them too I dunno) and bake to make
    bagel crisps (I saw that on the internet as well as the tortilla pizza). I will also eat eggo waffles in lieu of bread. Biscuits (but they
    have more fat in them.) Instead of pita chips to dip into hummus, I use banana chips.
  • paintedladytc2010
    Options
    Thanks. I keep forgetting about lettuce wrapping. LOL.