What can I replace bread with?

Options

Replies

• aysesahin
    aysesahin Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi , would you like to consider eating wholemeal brown bread one slice only in a meal? You don't have to cut it completely, just smaller portions that's all ...:smile:
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I would replace bread with "bread in moderation". I love it and bake it myself. You could also replace bread in sandwiches with a tortilla and have a wrap.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You can try cauliflower. there is a group dedicated to the advancement of cauliflower substitutes.

cauliflower-pizza-uncooked.jpg

img_1144.jpg

h8BC8EA46
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    ok, for a start you do not need to cut out bread for any reason unless you have a health condition or allergy, but I'm guessing you dont.

good job cutting out all the bad stuff (meat isn't bad tho), soda and junk food are hard to break the habit of so well done.

BUT - don't make it too hard on yourself. you DO NOT need to cut out carbs or bread or potatoes or anything really to loose weight. you just need to stay within your calories.

personally I will grill or fry large Portobello mushrooms and use that unstead of english muffins in eggs florintine, so you could do that.

(eggs Florentine is like eggs benedict but instead of bacon its spinach, also I don't use hollandaise sauce.)

but they taste like mushrooms. not like bread.

THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD CUT BREAD IS BECAUSE YOU ARE ABOUT TO EAT IT.

This.I have a gluten issue and can't eat "normal" bread, I make GF bread, bread is your friend.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

I agree! Why does everyone want cauliflower to be something it is not....it is NOT mashed potatoes....it is not pizza crust or pie crust....it is not bread...IT IS A VEGGIE THAT IS GREAT ALL BY ITSELF AS A VEGGIE!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Why look for a bread substitute? It's only reminding you that there isn't any bread on the plate.

If you choose to use your calories in a different way (which isn't the same as cutting something out for the sake of it), how about rapidly cooking asparagus spears in a pan with just enough water to cover, then serving with a tiny dot of butter and some sea salt flakes?

Tastes far, far better than bread, IMO.
  • zinatara
    zinatara Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    http://www.iherb.com/Finn-Crisp-Thin-Rye-Crispbread-Original-7-oz-200-g/32870

I eat every morning 3 slices with 2 eggs, o 2 slices with 1 egg :)
    Love them, they tasty, low in calories, low in sugar, but they're not as soft as bread :)
    I eat a lot of things like these. We have many different types here in Norway, both thin and thick crispbreads.
    I also eat a lot of these
    Pogen_Wholegrain_Krisprolls_225g.jpg
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Buy some carbquik and make your own bread.
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Here's another "don't cut out bread, just lower the amount" vote. For your breakfast, try toasting your bread, then cutting it into 4 strips, especially if you like to dip it in the yolk. For sandwiches, use 1 piece of bread cut in half, then add the normal amount of meat/cheese/veg. Costco sells their own brand of skinny bread (2 slices is 1 seving), which is pretty good. I also tried skinny bagels on vacation and loved them. Good luck to you!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

This ^^^^ is pretty much what I did when I read this post.

Cauliflower bread. Just when you think you have seen everything on MFP main forums....

No. Just no. :noway:

OP....if you are interested in long term, sustainable weight loss then don't concern yourself with eliminating things you enjoy from your diet. Count your calories and macros and enjoy your life....and your food.
  • coeurdalenegal
    coeurdalenegal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you are eating whole grain bread that's good for you. Whole grain sandwich thins, mini bagels, flat out and tortillas are good choices as well.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    my favourite bread substitute is sesame ryvita. I love my eggs also, I boil an egg just to the point where the yolks are beginning to set (about 7 minutes), run it under cold water, peel the shell off, slice it in half, yolk side down on ryvita, abit freshly ground black pepper and a smidgeon of ground coarse salt....mmmmmMMMMMmmmmm

I do eat crackerbreads, in fact, I could probably fully replace bread with them and melba toast, just I couldn't do it with my breakfast! When I eat eggs, I gotta have bread! >.<
    ok...another thing I do is divide bread into portions and freeze the portions individually. Just get a portion out when you need it :-)
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have been limiting myself to eating bread with just my breakfast, but I'm used to eating it with pretty much most of my meals! It's just I read peoples stories about their diets, and it seems a lot cut bread out completely, along with sodas! Bread and soda seem to be 2 key points in losing weight for a lot of people. I think it's just a case of slowly excluding it from my meals, and eventually I should just get used to it! Thanks for the advice though, it's muchos appreciated!

I lost my extra weight while eating bread/wheat and guzzling diet soda. However, now that I'm in maintenance I've felt that it's time to cut these things out-totally cut out soda a couple weeks ago and wheat's been gone for about a month. I haven't replaced bread with any kind of substitute, except when I make chicken salad I now have it on a bed of lettuce. Otherwise my meals are just different, where bread wouldn't be necessary.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Whole grain breads in moderation are very good for you... In moderation!
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You're my kind of people. Hey, hops are a grain, right?
    Beer.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Dont cut out bread!!you are doing fine,some good quality bread is filling ,I think if you cut it out you could get very hungry and demotivated and that would ruin it all!you are doing fab!keep up the good work!!:flowerforyou:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i have wheat allergies so for bread substitutes when i dont feel like dealing with udi's fall a part gluten free breads are L

- romaine, spinach, kale leaves - this dounds strange and it can get messy but i've made sammiches using the leaves as the bread. i've also used then as fake soft tacos.
    - softened bell peppers also make good fake soft taco substitutes. just cut them up, bake them until soft

but honestly, like others have noted if you dont have health issues with eating bread, there's no reason to cut it out if you can fit it into your calories and macros.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I use Smart and Delicious low carb tortillas to make rollups for lunch. 50 calories instead of 200 for 2 slices of decent bread. I really like how they taste.

You can also cut them in half and fold them and they taste pretty good toasted.

Bread was one of the things I cut way back on to lower my daily calories.

^^^^

and post above is so right. Roll up collard or kale leaves and sandwiches too. Yum yum yum.
  • aquinoz
    aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cut out any foods from your diet. Moderation is key. Also, there are low calorie breads you could buy, like that Pepperidge Farm bread that's only 45 calories per slice.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

I agree! Why does everyone want cauliflower to be something it is not....it is NOT mashed potatoes....it is not pizza crust or pie crust....it is not bread...IT IS A VEGGIE THAT IS GREAT ALL BY ITSELF AS A VEGGIE!

Actually, mashed cauliflower is delicious, imo.