The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper

Options
alehundrah
alehundrah Posts: 156 Member
I just started reading The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper and I have to say some of his tips are pretty good. Some are common sense but some are things I didnt know. Here are some of his rules to being skinny

1. Drink a large glass of water before every meal- no excuses
2. Don't drink your calories (as in only drink water, coffee, teas, etc. Avoid sodas, juices)
3. Eat protein at every meal (to avoid getting hungry and grouchy)
4. Cut your intake of refined flours and grains (pasta, bagels, even those that say "low in fat")
5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day
6. Eat apples and berries every single day (as snacks)
7. No carbs after lunch
8. Learn to read food labels
9. Stop guessing about portion size and get it right- for good
10. no added sweeteners including artificial ones
11. No white potatoes
12. Don't eat meat once a week
13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods
The list goes on and on. He has 20 rules that he mentions and explains. The 2nd part of the book offers explanations about what you should eat. Like I said, I only started reading the book so I don't know what it talks about but it's very interesting, and I feel like I can learn a couple of things by reading it. Any of you guys read the book? Did you guys like it?

Replies

• dgoradia
    dgoradia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    4. Cut your intake of refined flours and grains (pasta, bagels, even those that say "low in fat")
    7. No carbs after lunch
    11. No white potatoes
    4. Why?
    6. Why apples and berries specifically?
    7. Why?
    10. What's wrong with sweeteners?
    11. Why?
    12. How about twice?

Did Mr. Bob Harper give reasons for each of his rules? Did he back his reasoning, if any, with more than just his opinion?
  • santd
    santd Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I would say I follow all of those except the potatoes, they are a good veg, and helped me lose my 196 pounds. To explain all the rest you would have to look up the complex nutrients of each, like the simple apple, and i haven't got enough space to write it all down, but apples are very good eaten at the end of a day for you.. But sweeteners are chemically based made and do interfere with the bodies natural balance. When I first started my weight lose- 2 years ago and started to research foods, I also experimented on myself, its the way I've managed to stick to this diet. Its been fascinating, and frustrating....but if I had anything with sweeteners in it, it (always) made my appetite ferocious, when i stuck to my program my hunger/appetite never returned.

Meat (too much) could give you bowel cancer in the end, humans were not supposed to be meat eaters. Meat once a week is OK, and fish twice. Usually men like meat or quick protein for repairing ripped muscles, sorry body building.

No carbs after lunch, is a program for the body to start using its own fats, to reduce quicker. This has been my experience in weight lose. hope it helps.
  • alehundrah
    alehundrah Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would say I follow all of those except the potatoes, they are a good veg, and helped me lose my 196 pounds. To explain all the rest you would have to look up the complex nutrients of each, like the simple apple, and i haven't got enough space to write it all down, but apples are very good eaten at the end of a day for you.. But sweeteners are chemically based made and do interfere with the bodies natural balance. When I first started my weight lose- 2 years ago and started to research foods, I also experimented on myself, its the way I've managed to stick to this diet. Its been fascinating, and frustrating....but if I had anything with sweeteners in it, it (always) made my appetite ferocious, when i stuck to my program my hunger/appetite never returned.

Meat (too much) could give you bowel cancer in the end, humans were not supposed to be meat eaters. Meat once a week is OK, and fish twice. Usually men like meat or quick protein for repairing ripped muscles, sorry body building.

No carbs after lunch, is a program for the body to start using its own fats, to reduce quicker. This has been my experience in weight lose. hope it helps.
    I agree. We need to learn how our bodies work
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I just started reading The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper and I have to say some of his tips are pretty good. Some are common sense but some are things I didnt know. Here are some of his rules to being skinny

2. Don't drink your calories (as in only drink water, coffee, teas, etc. Avoid sodas, juices)
    7. No carbs after lunch
    11. No white potatoes
    The list goes on and on. He has 20 rules that he mentions and explains. The 2nd part of the book offers explanations about what you should eat. Like I said, I only started reading the book so I don't know what it talks about but it's very interesting, and I feel like I can learn a couple of things by reading it. Any of you guys read the book? Did you guys like it?

Why can't you eat carbs after lunch? Whats wrong with white potatos? Whats wrong with the odd fastfood/takeaway?

I never understand crap like this. You can eat all these things. What an idiot. (the guy who wrote it not the OP)
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter when you drink your water as long as you get enough water to a. remain hydrated and b. avoid retaining water

Doesn't matter if you can stay within your calorie allowance.

Fiber also works to avoid hunger, so does having enough fat in a meal. So does having a bit of protein, something whole grain or a veggie, and some fat. Or having a bowl of a whole grain cereal. Whatever works.

Especially those that say low fat. Low fat is code for high in sodium and sugar.

This contradicts rule number 7, so that is going to have to be resolved before I can take either of these rules seriously.

This also contradicts rule number 7, but it works with rule number 5. The discrepancy with rule 7 still needs to be resolved.
    7. No carbs after lunch

This rule doesn't work with rule 5 or rule 6. But, nice try.

L-cysteine, good reason to not read food labels.

Well, duh. Knowing how many calories is in food is essential to trying to cut calories.

IIFYM, why does it matter if you get 100, 200, or even 300 calories from sugar? And some people need foods that are calorie dense. Foods with sugar in them helps them to reach their calorie goal of oh say 3000 calories for a very fit very active person very heavily muscled, large boned person.
    11. No white potatoes

Oh do tell, how that 100 calorie potato is going to keep someone from having a calorie deficit. This should be good.

I haven't eaten meat for over a year. How am I doing?

You know Taco Bell has these cantina bowls, I am going to have to stop buy and have a couple for lunch.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    7. No carbs after lunch
    11. No white potatoes
    4. Why?
    6. Why apples and berries specifically?
    7. Why?
    10. What's wrong with sweeteners?
    11. Why?
    12. How about twice?

Did Mr. Bob Harper give reasons for each of his rules? Did he back his reasoning, if any, with more than just his opinion?

This
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I love Bob! But don't agree with all his points. White potatoes are a staple of mine and are a very healthy food (when not turned into chips, fries etc) and I am losing weight just fine. Before I joined MFP I had been dieting for about 8 weeks and eating steamed potatoes almost every day. Yum!

Also, no carbs after lunch, I would just be miserable. I eat heaps of complex carbs from fruits and veggies.

I like his other suggestions though :)
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    So, what if you don't want to be 'SKINNY' instead you want to be lean, strong and healthy.

What chapter is that in?

Please tell Bob to visit Jillian.
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    How about 2 simple rules,avoid foods containing Transfats and Aspartame?
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    So, what if you don't want to be 'SKINNY' instead you want to be lean, strong and healthy.

What chapter is that in?

Please tell Bob to visit Jillian.

This!

Reading JM's Slim for Life book and she has great workouts that build muscles and have eating tips that are sustainable.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Since when were humans not designed to eat meat as well as anything else they could find?

Does the potato thing mean red spuds like Desiree are ok?

Not eating carbs after lunch means I'll be at about 300 kcals a day. Because he says I can't eat after that, does that mean its a healthy intake?

If I can't eat carbs, how am I supposed to eat those apple and berry snacks? And if I can't eat carbs, that means no fruit or veg, no grains or pulses for the evening. If I'm not eating a lump of something big and dead, what the frack am I supposed to have to make up the thousand or so kcal deficit?

What a load of hraka.
  • TheNewAdventuresofDanni
    Options

7. No carbs after lunch
    11. No white potatoes

Why can't you eat carbs after lunch? Whats wrong with white potatos? Whats wrong with the odd fastfood/takeaway?

I never understand crap like this. You can eat all these things. What an idiot. (the guy who wrote it not the OP)

For a lot of people, the occasional fast food, become more than occasional after time.And then suddenly your eating fast food a couple times a week. For some people it is easier to carry an extra apple or protein bar than give in to temptation in the long run. It depends on the person. Just like not every diet works for everyone. And of course it is his opinion, just like if you ask any doctor or dietitian they will give you different opinions. You can take them or leave them.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

7. No carbs after lunch
    11. No white potatoes

I need more explaination.. I eat all of the above.. (well.. not artifical sweetners, but I would if I liked them) and I've lost a bit of weight... I dont' eat apples and berries everyday.. but I do eat fruits and veggies everyday. I eat whatever potatoes i have in my pantry, just not everyday.. I eat meat everyday.. but what about vegans? they seem to do fine without eating any meat.... I like fried foods?? I just dfound healthier subsitutes for them.. but sometimes I just gotta have chicken fried steak.. or fried chicken or real spring rolls.. mmmmm spring rolls.. What's wrong with carbs after lunch? I'd rather have busicuts and gravey for dinner then breakfast!

Oh.. and after you lose weight.. what do you do??? never eat carbs after lunch for the rest of your life?? no birthday cake for you!! (unless it's for breakfast???) And when am I supposed to eat my apple and berries?? Those are carbs right??? Man.. i'd not be able to eat dinner.. no carbs means what.. a big ole hunk of meat and nothing else for dinner?? no thank you..completely unrealistic for most people.

and yes.. it's all individual. I can avoid fast food.. and if i do have it.. i am merely reminded as to why I avoid it as opposed to finding myself craving it again..When I am told "you can't have this" it's the one thing I crave! (i'm allergic to shellfish and i constantly crave it.. I just value my life enough to resist it)

While yes.. having guidelines and whatnot for better eating is often helpful, portraying opinions as truth is not, nor is dealing with absolutes when it comes to food.

People who gain it back.. most often are those who went on a restrictive diet and then couldn't stick to it forever. Better to eat like a real person, who eats at resturants and attends parties and learn to eat what you want, but control it.. then deny yourself these things and then binge on it later.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options

7. No carbs after lunch
    11. No white potatoes

I read it and I loved it. I'm not going to get into it with anyone on the rules. Have questions? Read the book. They work for me.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I've lost 42 lbs doing the opposite of what this book says.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

7. No carbs after lunch
    11. No white potatoes

Any diet that contains 20 "rules" is stupid.

Most of the rules listed here are stupid.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    What a load of bullpeep.

That is all.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    30 to 50 grams of fiber a day is a recipe for constipation unless you are also drinking gallons of water.
    I only agree with numbers 1, 2, 8 and 9. The rest is a recipe for another fad diet.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    People should know that this book apparently gives a blanket "1200 calories and only 1200 calories" plan for all women. And it also encourages large amounts of exercise, creating a massive calorie deficit.

Of course you'll lose weight. But it's not good or healthy. And the rules themselves are stupid, especially the ones that prescribe specific foods or prohibit specific foods.

This is simply not a good idea.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Most of these are nonsense if you count calories. Some of these are nonsense even if you don't count calories! I feel like most of these rules are just ways to reduce your caloric intake targeted toward people who are not counting their calories.