The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    "Getting some results" doesn't seem to matter the vast majority of the time: most people who go on diets end up regaining the weight.

Rules are the reason why. No one is going to follow a bunch of strict rules like this forever. That's why "diets" fail: when people are done with the diet they fall back into old eating patterns and looking how they used to look.

The goal is not just getting some results at any cost. It's learning eating patterns and behaviors that will serve for life. A list of 20 "rules" for "skinny" does not accomplish that.

You consider this list strict? I honestly don’t get how drinking more water, eating fruit, avoiding artificial sweeteners and processed / junk / fast foods, eating fiber, portion control, eating protein at each meal, etc., are unsustainable.

Yes, it is strict. No carbs after lunch? I guess no fruit, milk, cheese, beans, marinade, sauce, etc for dinner. Enjoy! Don't drink milk, juice, soda, wine, or beer? Ever? Awesome! Not strict at all! Never eat potatoes again! No diet soda! No added sugar, so no more cupcakes ever! Eat apples and berries even if you don't like them! EVERY DAY!

Yes, that is strict.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hahah!!! I do not consider myself a fan of Harper, nor a follower. But going back to my orginal comment, he has helped many people. Love him or hate him he has helped more people than us and has his following to prove it.

How many people has he helped to lose weight that maintained their "skinniness" for a decade after? I agree with Jonnythan and others. Dumb rules like these are why diets don't work in the long run. There are any number of rules to follow to lose weight, but the weight will come back because it isn't sustainable in the long run.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Oh my no potatoes? No way in hell!

I just had a huge plate (345g) full of lovely creamy potatoes boiled in their skins for lunch served with a crispy green salad and some slices of vegan ham. They were GOOOD!

I do find the *idea* of not eating carbs later in the day intriguing, but I'd like to understand the science (?) behind it before trying it out as I have a serious love of carbs (wholefood style) and it would be quite tricky to cut them out in the evening because it would mean cutting out all my favourite 'healthy' stuff like brown pasta, beans and brown rice.

I couldn't get past vegan ham...

I thought vegans didn't eat animal products.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hahah!!! I do not consider myself a fan of Harper, nor a follower. But going back to my orginal comment, he has helped many people. Love him or hate him he has helped more people than us and has his following to prove it.

How many people has he helped to lose weight that maintained their "skinniness" for a decade after? I agree with Jonnythan and others. Dumb rules like these are why diets don't work in the long run. There are any number of rules to follow to lose weight, but the weight will come back because it isn't sustainable in the long run.
    Again, I am not an advocate of what he says and does because it always boils down to calories in, calories out......regardless of how you sugar coat it. As for his track record, I cant speak for those who lost the weight and kept it off, but I can speak for the fact he is where he is for a reason, and we are where we are for a reason. Food for thought;)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is strict. No carbs after lunch? I guess no fruit, milk, cheese, beans, marinade, sauce, etc for dinner. Enjoy! Don't drink milk, juice, soda, wine, or beer? Ever? Awesome! Not strict at all! Never eat potatoes again! No diet soda! No added sugar, so no more cupcakes ever! Eat apples and berries even if you don't like them! EVERY DAY!

Yes, that is strict.

As I said above, the concept of self-help books isn’t to fanatically obey every rule. As I said above, just do what makes sense to you. The author doesn't say, "follow these rules to the letter, 100% of the time, or your health is doomed". Are you seriously struggling with what I'm saying or are you just being facetious?
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options

I just had a huge plate (345g) full of lovely creamy potatoes boiled in their skins for lunch served with a crispy green salad and some slices of vegan ham. They were GOOOD!

I do find the *idea* of not eating carbs later in the day intriguing, but I'd like to understand the science (?) behind it before trying it out as I have a serious love of carbs (wholefood style) and it would be quite tricky to cut them out in the evening because it would mean cutting out all my favourite 'healthy' stuff like brown pasta, beans and brown rice.

Haha! Well it's not real 'ham' (and btw I'm not vegan - though I do want to go vegan after Xmas) it's a savoury sausage that you can slice and serve like ham, made from soya and wheat. I find it genuinely tasty but unless you're interested in going 'plant based', I doubt most folk would like it as much as ham from pigs! The added bonus for me is zero cholesterol as I have to get my cholesterol down from the very high level it was at when I recently had a blood test.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Meat (too much) could give you bowel cancer in the end, humans were not supposed to be meat eaters.

Too much RED meat isn't the best for you.

And I hate to say it but we've been eating meat for millions of years and if I am ever in a survival situation you bet your butt I'm not going to rely on plants to sustain me and give me all the calories and fat needed to stay alive. I'm going to set some traps and eat me some meat!

We may not have the ability to tear the flesh from the animal we are hunting but, as any being in the animal kingdom does, we adapted and figured out how to kill in our own way.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Yes, that is strict.

As I said above, the concept of self-help books isn’t to fanatically obey every rule. As I said above, just do what makes sense to you. The author doesn't say, "follow these rules to the letter, 100% of the time, or your health is doomed". Are you seriously struggling with what I'm saying or are you just being facetious?

So if highly specific rules like "no potatoes" and "no carbs after lunch" are useless, why write an entire book telling people to do them to lose weight?

These rules are completely dumb. They are 100% worthless. They're not general guidelines like "eat more veggies" or "get enough protein." They're specific rules, and they're very stupid.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    So if highly specific rules like "no potatoes" and "no carbs after lunch" are useless, why write an entire book telling people to do them to lose weight?

These rules are completely dumb. They are 100% worthless. They're not general guidelines like "eat more veggies" or "get enough protein." They're specific rules, and they're very stupid.

And these so-called rules are making him money. That is *precisely* why.
  • ajaxe432
    Options

Yes, that is strict.

I like your concept!
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Some people just need things to be complicated. According to these rules I did everything wrong.... That is fine by me. I lost 127lbs and regained my health and life. All I did was eat a healthy balanced diet (without cutting anything out) making sure to eat below TDEE and I exercised.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Again, I am not an advocate of what he says and does because it always boils down to calories in, calories out......regardless of how you sugar coat it. As for his track record, I cant speak for those who lost the weight and kept it off, but I can speak for the fact he is where he is for a reason, and we are where we are for a reason. Food for thought;)

I like to sugar-coat most things, but not everything. :drinker:

If I wanted to lie to people to make money, I could be a bestseller too. I have a talent for writing, but I choose honesty. Honesty doesn't sell books. *kicks rock*
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Haha! Well it's not real 'ham' (and btw I'm not vegan - though I do want to go vegan after Xmas) it's a savoury sausage that you can slice and serve like ham, made from soya and wheat. I find it genuinely tasty but unless you're interested in going 'plant based', I doubt most folk would like it as much as ham from pigs! The added bonus for me is zero cholesterol as I have to get my cholesterol down from the very high level it was at when I recently had a blood test.

But sausage is meat too! Soy and wheat =/= ham or sausage

Oy vey! I'm so confused! :sad:

:wink:
  • ajaxe432
    Options

If I wanted to lie to people to make money, I could be a bestseller too. I have a talent for writing, but I choose honesty. Honesty doesn't sell books. *kicks rock*
    Haha! I see your point:) But you have to think, it would be one short book if you were to be honest on the subject. Mabye four words, eat less-move more:laugh:
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Not quite. Although meat does get shaped into sausages, the word "sausage" can also just mean a particular *shape* irrespective of whatever it may be composed of. :tongue:
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    This topic proves that if you are successful, people will hate you for whatever reason. Doesn't matter how many people he's helped, doesn't matter if he has a TV show and has written books that people find helpful. None of that matters if jealousy is thrown into the mix. Still looking for that ignore button.......
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    This topic proves that if you are successful, people will hate you for whatever reason. Doesn't matter how many people he's helped, doesn't matter if he has a TV show and has written books that people find helpful. None of that matters if jealousy is thrown into the mix. Still looking for that ignore button.......
    agreed!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Haha! I see your point:) But you have to think, it would be one short book if you were to be honest on the subject. Mabye four words, eat less-move more:laugh:

Yeah, more like a pamphlet than a book. :laugh:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    It's right under the person's avatar - click the blue arrow and it's the last choice in the drop-down menu.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Not quite. Although meat does get shaped into sausages, the word "sausage" can also just mean a particular *shape* irrespective of whatever it may be composed of. :tongue:

Sausage is a shape? I think the shape you mean is called "cylinder," not sausage

www.thefreedictionary.com/sausage
    Finely chopped and seasoned meat, especially pork, usually stuffed into a prepared animal intestine or other casing and cooked or cured.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sausage
    A sausage is a food usually made from ground meat with a skin around it.