The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper

Options

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Those that are overweight are generally in that situation because they either have no structure or have unhealthy structure with their nutrition. For them, buying a book about nutrition is an admission that winging it isn’t working. Following a list of guidelines can provide enough structure to possibly start getting different results. Just telling people “eat less” is not useful advice – yeah, I think we all get that, if it were that easy no one would be fat.

Going through these rules, I don’t see the harm in following them. Some are useful, others are less useful, but none are dangerous (unless you have medical issues). So you eat more apples and berries, drink water before a meal, and cut out down on refined flours, fast food, and artificial sweeteners – aggghhhhhhh, such a bizarre and radical bit of health charlatanism! Harper is most certainly engaged in an insidious conspiracy to make huge profits by manipulating the apples and berries commodities markets.

People need to learn self-control.

If a made-up list of lies helps them to achieve some sort of self control, then I suppose there's that.

Better to be properly educated as to why they are overweight and learn some portion control? That's the debate.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Those that are overweight are generally in that situation because they either have no structure or have unhealthy structure with their nutrition. For them, buying a book about nutrition is an admission that winging it isn’t working. Following a list of guidelines can provide enough structure to possibly start getting different results. Just telling people “eat less” is not useful advice – yeah, I think we all get that, if it were that easy no one would be fat.

Going through these rules, I don’t see the harm in following them. Some are useful, others are less useful, but none are dangerous (unless you have medical issues). So you eat more apples and berries, drink water before a meal, and cut out down on refined flours, fast food, and artificial sweeteners – aggghhhhhhh, such a bizarre and radical bit of health charlatanism! Harper is most certainly engaged in an insidious conspiracy to make huge profits by manipulating the apples and berries commodities markets.

"Getting some results" doesn't seem to matter the vast majority of the time: most people who go on diets end up regaining the weight.

Rules are the reason why. No one is going to follow a bunch of strict rules like this forever. That's why "diets" fail: when people are done with the diet they fall back into old eating patterns and looking how they used to look.

The goal is not just getting some results at any cost. It's learning eating patterns and behaviors that will serve for life. A list of 20 "rules" for "skinny" does not accomplish that.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Well, it's a good thing that I don't want to be skinny.

3. Eat protein at every meal (to avoid getting hungry and grouchy)
    ---Too much effort, especially since most of my meals are eaten at work.
    4. Cut your intake of refined flours and grains (pasta, bagels, even those that say "low in fat")
    ----No way!!!
    6. Eat apples and berries every single day (as snacks)-
    ----I'd get tired of this really quick. I don't even like apples and can't think of any berry that I like enough to want to eat each day as a snack, let alone for one day.
    10. no added sweeteners including artificial ones
    11. No white potatoes
    13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods
    ---I don't have the last three often, but I don't like to restrict myself. That just leads me to binging on them.

7. No carbs after lunch
    -Is this for digestion/metabolism purposes? Then, I can understand, but it would be a bit hard to eat no carbs. I can see few, but not zero.
    8. Learn to read food labels
    9. Stop guessing about portion size and get it right- for good
    I agree with the last two. The rest of the list is pretty much crap.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hahah!!! I do not consider myself a fan of Harper, nor a follower. But going back to my orginal comment, he has helped many people. Love him or hate him he has helped more people than us and has his following to prove it.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Hahah!!! I do not consider myself a fan of Harper, nor a follower. But going back to my orginal comment, he has helped many people. Love him or hate him he has helped more people than us and has his following to prove it.

I bet it does work. It's just too restrictive.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options

10. What's wrong with sweeteners?

Wow, these are no brainers, do you even have to ask? Especially #10, cause they are toxic!

I do not think that word means what you think it means.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

I bet it does work. It's just too restrictive.
    I agree:)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Geez that's a whole lotta negativity going on there...as the original poster said, there were explanations for each of these. I'm pretty sure that there is a rationale for each one (and if you want to decide if it's solid, maybe try reading the book before criticizing it....I'm sure the library has a copy).

AND. just because there is a rationale doesn't mean it's the ONLY thing you HAVE to do to loose weight, and if you DON'T do them, then you won't loose weight. It's a list of suggestions that you might find helps your body's particular metabolic needs. I've heard a lot of anecdotal stories about no carbs after lunch, or increasing fiber, etc. Do what works for you. If Bob's list helps you slim down, then hell. Try it. Don't attack something that someone *shared* because they found positive and helpful, and thought it might be helpful others too. Let's all be informed consumers and also supportive of one another.

I love your sanity. Thank you for posting.
    No. This is one of the dumbest lists I've ever read on MFP, and that's saying something.
    People should speak up when poor advice is given.
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Oh my no potatoes? No way in hell!

I just had a huge plate (345g) full of lovely creamy potatoes boiled in their skins for lunch served with a crispy green salad and some slices of vegan ham. They were GOOOD!

I do find the *idea* of not eating carbs later in the day intriguing, but I'd like to understand the science (?) behind it before trying it out as I have a serious love of carbs (wholefood style) and it would be quite tricky to cut them out in the evening because it would mean cutting out all my favourite 'healthy' stuff like brown pasta, beans and brown rice.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    1. Drink a large glass of water before every meal- no excuses NO! It interferes with digestion and maxing out my meal.
    2. Don't drink your calories (as in only drink water, coffee, teas, etc. Avoid sodas, juices)NO! I drink protein shakes and latte's
    3. Eat protein at every meal (to avoid getting hungry and grouchy) Yeah, I kinda like this one.
    4. Cut your intake of refined flours and grains (pasta, bagels, even those that say "low in fat") ONLY those "low in fat" ones.
    5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day OR totally overdo it like I did the other day and have an explosive evening. Releive-ning.
    6. Eat apples and berries every single day (as snacks) What am I a bear?
    7. No carbs after lunch Carbs whenever you damn well please.
    8. Learn to read food labels LOLwut? If I can read this I can read a food label
    9. Stop guessing about portion size and get it right- for good there goes my crystal ball novelty food scale
    10. no added sweeteners including artificial ones except maple syrup, honey, agave, molasses, brown sugar, and sugar
    11. No white potatoes reverse racism is still racism
    12. Don't eat meat once a week that's right eat it all the days!!!!!
    13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods Get rid of guys named Harper

Maybe that is why you are on this site and Harper is ripped !
    nvm
    There's no point...
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    What a load of bullpeep.

That is all.

Agreed. I would not follow any of those rules.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    "Diet" books are a load of horse crap. Losing weight is very simple and very inexpensive. Eat less, move more. You're welcome.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    "Diet" books are a load of horse crap. Losing weight is very simple and very inexpensive. Eat less, move more. You're welcome.

Shut up and

TAKE.

MY.

MONEY!
  • tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I can definitely see why he would say those things but I can also definitely see why many people would disagree as I do on some as well.

I THINK he wants you to drink a large glass of water before each meal to control hunger. Supposedly, sometimes hunger is really thirst so maybe he is trying to help with that.

As far as potatoes go.....I am insulin resistant and my doctor urges me to not eat white potatoes although I still do sometimes. Several years ago, I had multiple miscarriages (five) and was told I would not be able to have any more children. After many tests, it was discovered that my insulin resistance was irritating my blood clotting factor, causing blood clots, thus the miscarriages. She put me on a special eating plan that included cutting out white potatoes and anything with corn starch in it if I wanted to have children. I have been able to successfully have two more children so I am a true believe that potatoes CAN do harm but I think that it is specific to certain conditions.

I think you just do what you feel works for you. You have to experiment and figure out what your body wants and needs.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

Shut up and

TAKE.

MY.

MONEY!

Well, if you insist :bigsmile:
  • jimmmer
    Options

Shut up and

TAKE.

MY.

MONEY!

Well, if you insist :bigsmile:

Now, where did I put my wallet....
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've lost 42 lbs doing the opposite of what this book says.

and you can add my weight loss to those 42 pounds as well (Congrats on your weight loss by the way). I can't say that I even followed 1 of these rules......

You can add mine as well. these rules seem like the beginning of an eating disorder to me. I'm getting pizza this weekend -- anyone care to join me?!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-22700-1362252670-1.gif
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Bob Harper can do things to other things that I can't say because the mods will get mad.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    "Getting some results" doesn't seem to matter the vast majority of the time: most people who go on diets end up regaining the weight.

Rules are the reason why. No one is going to follow a bunch of strict rules like this forever. That's why "diets" fail: when people are done with the diet they fall back into old eating patterns and looking how they used to look.

The goal is not just getting some results at any cost. It's learning eating patterns and behaviors that will serve for life. A list of 20 "rules" for "skinny" does not accomplish that.

You consider this list strict? I honestly don’t get how drinking more water, eating fruit, avoiding artificial sweeteners and processed / junk / fast foods, eating fiber, portion control, eating protein at each meal, etc., are unsustainable. This is what I do 75-80% of the time (among many other things), I enjoy what I eat and drink every day, and plan to continue the way I eat the rest of my life.

The concept of self-help books isn’t to fanatically obey the rules as if they are Islamic Sharia laws (no one should be stoned for failing to eat berries or for eating a Big Mac on a given day); you just do what makes sense to you. Dieting failures occur when readers accept the rules as a strict and unbending doctrine, where failure to follow them all 100% of the time equals complete failure. If you have a meltdown because you ate a white baked potato and decide to abandon the entire program, that isn’t really the author’s problem.
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options
    I just started reading The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper and I have to say some of his tips are pretty good. Some are common sense but some are things I didnt know. Here are some of his rules to being skinny

1. Drink a large glass of water before every meal- no excuses
    2. Don't drink your calories (as in only drink water, coffee, teas, etc. Avoid sodas, juices)
    3. Eat protein at every meal (to avoid getting hungry and grouchy)
    4. Cut your intake of refined flours and grains (pasta, bagels, even those that say "low in fat")
    5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day
    6. Eat apples and berries every single day (as snacks)
    7. No carbs after lunch
    8. Learn to read food labels
    9. Stop guessing about portion size and get it right- for good
    10. no added sweeteners including artificial ones
    11. No white potatoes
    12. Don't eat meat once a week
    13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods

I have a friend who used to give out a lot of these advices when she was in the middle of her eating disorder. The drink water to fill your stomach before dinner is classic ED.

There are a few good advices here, like reading food labels and learning portion sizes. But that is it. I'm not giving up carbs after lunch or honey in my tea or sometimes having fast food when I don't have time for anything else.