The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper

Options

Replies

• Hirner
    Options
    Geez that's a whole lotta negativity going on there...as the original poster said, there were explanations for each of these. I'm pretty sure that there is a rationale for each one (and if you want to decide if it's solid, maybe try reading the book before criticizing it....I'm sure the library has a copy).

AND. just because there is a rationale doesn't mean it's the ONLY thing you HAVE to do to loose weight, and if you DON'T do them, then you won't loose weight. It's a list of suggestions that you might find helps your body's particular metabolic needs. I've heard a lot of anecdotal stories about no carbs after lunch, or increasing fiber, etc. Do what works for you. If Bob's list helps you slim down, then hell. Try it. Don't attack something that someone *shared* because they found positive and helpful, and thought it might be helpful others too. Let's all be informed consumers and also supportive of one another.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i avoid anything that has "skinny" and "rules" in it...

and this is a re-bump from a while back ...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I've lost 42 lbs doing the opposite of what this book says.

and you can add my weight loss to those 42 pounds as well (Congrats on your weight loss by the way). I can't say that I even followed 1 of these rules......
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I havent read it and I dont really follow many of these rules. But I am sure the water one is so that you wont eat as much. Drinking the water right before will fill your stomach. So you ar eless likely to go over indulge. He is the trainer for the biggest loser at least the first 9 seasons I have watched. So it may be set up for that. They need to lose large amounts of weight quickly.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    1. Drink a large glass of water before every meal- no excuses NO! It interferes with digestion and maxing out my meal.
    2. Don't drink your calories (as in only drink water, coffee, teas, etc. Avoid sodas, juices)NO! I drink protein shakes and latte's
    3. Eat protein at every meal (to avoid getting hungry and grouchy) Yeah, I kinda like this one.
    4. Cut your intake of refined flours and grains (pasta, bagels, even those that say "low in fat") ONLY those "low in fat" ones.
    5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day OR totally overdo it like I did the other day and have an explosive evening. Releive-ning.
    6. Eat apples and berries every single day (as snacks) What am I a bear?
    7. No carbs after lunch Carbs whenever you damn well please.
    8. Learn to read food labels LOLwut? If I can read this I can read a food label
    9. Stop guessing about portion size and get it right- for good there goes my crystal ball novelty food scale
    10. no added sweeteners including artificial ones except maple syrup, honey, agave, molasses, brown sugar, and sugar
    11. No white potatoes reverse racism is still racism
    12. Don't eat meat once a week that's right eat it all the days!!!!!
    13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods Get rid of guys named Harper
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

and you can add my weight loss to those 42 pounds as well (Congrats on your weight loss by the way). I can't say that I even followed 1 of these rules......

Same here. Didn't follow any of those (I like my bowl of sugary cereal right before bed).
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Geez that's a whole lotta negativity going on there...as the original poster said, there were explanations for each of these. I'm pretty sure that there is a rationale for each one (and if you want to decide if it's solid, maybe try reading the book before criticizing it....I'm sure the library has a copy).

AND. just because there is a rationale doesn't mean it's the ONLY thing you HAVE to do to loose weight, and if you DON'T do them, then you won't loose weight. It's a list of suggestions that you might find helps your body's particular metabolic needs. I've heard a lot of anecdotal stories about no carbs after lunch, or increasing fiber, etc. Do what works for you. If Bob's list helps you slim down, then hell. Try it. Don't attack something that someone *shared* because they found positive and helpful, and thought it might be helpful others too. Let's all be informed consumers and also supportive of one another.

I love your sanity. Thank you for posting.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

I love your sanity. Thank you for posting.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    crazy-cat-lady-or-makeup-celebrate-our-feline-friends-51030.jpg
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

:drinker: Me too.

Oh and "no carbs after lunch?" so... no veggies or fruit after lunch? lol... NO
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I avoid the whole diet book section of my local bookstore. That has worked fine for me.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Geez that's a whole lotta negativity going on there...as the original poster said, there were explanations for each of these. I'm pretty sure that there is a rationale for each one

the rationale is trying to sell more books. People seem to like diets with lots of rules. (heaven only knows why)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

There is a whole lotta negativity because those rules are a whole lotta stupid.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Where is that "ignore" button? I sure need it. I follow the Intermittent Fasting plan. Dr. Michael Mosley. Perhaps you have heard of him? But, that said, I do have an open mind and I love reading books on all types of subjects. Knowledge is power! Cheers!
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    BUMP :)

THANKS FOR POSTING!!! :)

X
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    No carbs after lunch .... so no fruits & veggies? :/
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Geez that's a whole lotta negativity going on there...as the original poster said, there were explanations for each of these. I'm pretty sure that there is a rationale for each one

the rationale is trying to sell more books. People seem to like diets with lots of rules. (heaven only knows why)

People starting a "diet" love lots of rules. It makes them believe that the "rules" will keep them from having to just do the hard work on their own. Destined to fail. But people fall for it time and again.

Eat sensibly at a healthy calorie deficit, find something you like to do and then do it consistently, and learn patience as you build the habits that will make it possible to get healthy.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I just started reading The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper and I have to say some of his tips are pretty good. Some are common sense but some are things I didnt know. Here are some of his rules to being skinny

1. Drink a large glass of water before every meal- no excuses
    2. Don't drink your calories (as in only drink water, coffee, teas, etc. Avoid sodas, juices)
    3. Eat protein at every meal (to avoid getting hungry and grouchy)
    4. Cut your intake of refined flours and grains (pasta, bagels, even those that say "low in fat")
    5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day
    6. Eat apples and berries every single day (as snacks)
    7. No carbs after lunch
    8. Learn to read food labels
    9. Stop guessing about portion size and get it right- for good
    10. no added sweeteners including artificial ones
    11. No white potatoes
    12. Don't eat meat once a week
    13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods
    The list goes on and on. He has 20 rules that he mentions and explains. The 2nd part of the book offers explanations about what you should eat. Like I said, I only started reading the book so I don't know what it talks about but it's very interesting, and I feel like I can learn a couple of things by reading it. Any of you guys read the book? Did you guys like it?

I cannot recommend this book highly enough, my table was a bit unstable so i put it under one of the legs and hey presto fixed, i can now eat meat and potatoes and they don't roll around my plate

cheers bob
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    So, what if you don't want to be 'SKINNY' instead you want to be lean, strong and healthy.

What chapter is that in?

Please tell Bob to visit Jillian.
    Haha! Love this:)