Personal safety while walking/running

Options
Do any of you carry pepper spray or anything while out and about? I don't always feel safe staying out after dark or setting out before sunrise. I hate that I feel that way. What is the best remedy for that? Does anyone here take any precautions besides the obvious- staying in populated areas/lighted paths, etc?

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I carry something similar to this
    mst6u569m7ro.jpg

I'm pretty sure it kept a guy from grabbing my phone outside of the grocery store. Or maybe he just realized there wasn't a lot of value in a $50 Ghettro PCS special.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it, besides the obvious precautions you mentioned, is mental - if you don't feel safe, you just don't, and there's no need to put yourself under pressure.

I'm guessing you have a decently safe neighbourhood to exercise in. Besides what you mentioned, I just make sure I have my reflective patches on, take my phone but keep it concealed, don't wear headphones, and tell someone when you intend to return by. I frequently run in the dark (usually 6am or 5pm) and I have never had any scary incidences (if it helps reassure you even a little).

Note - I live in the UK so I think pepper spray is less of a thing here. I have a friend who carries a personal attack alarm when she goes out at night but she's the only person I know who does.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Most important thing - always have someone know where you're going (route) and when you will be back. Even better, walk with company.

A strong emergency whistle is reported to help, you can get them from sport stores or online. Thir sound is shockingly shrill and carries much farther than human voice.
    Also don't listen to music, be very aware what's happening around you - if you're obviously distracted or self-absorbed, you're more likely to be attacked.

And may be above all chose a safer route if you can. But if you really feel you're unsafe and are walking in an unsafe area, the only really safe way is to walk/run on a treadmill or do a youtube dance routine at home or sth - better bored than traumatised/injured/raped/dead.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have pepper spray on my key lanyard. It's around my neck and easy to access.

I was attacked in my early 20s by a man much larger than myself, a former soldier. I walked away from that--he was carried from the scene in an ambulance. Suffice it to say, I don't worry too much about being able to defend myself. I'm tall, strong and don't look like a victim.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I just stay where I feel safe. I had pepper spray but gave it to my daughter.

I use a road ID. My Garmin hrm has a live track where my husband can see my GPS location. There is an app that has an emergency activation, I can't remember which one it is. I don't run in the dark.

I came up on a buck not long back and that made me think about getting faster and carrying a dagger. Literally scared the poo out of me, had to cut it short.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    My protection of choice if I have to go out after dark is bright colors, a fairly large over protective mutt, and pepper spray. But I live out in the middle of no where so depending on if there has been an up in rabies problems I may have something more.
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I always run with my 70lbs German shepherd...keeps people at a far distance.
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm in NZ so I don't think we can even get pepper spray? I usually go out early in the morning. Hubby knows what route I am on and I stay in my neighbourhood where I recognise a lot of people and houses so I know which doors I could knock on at 5am and feel better if I was concerned. I have my phone shoved down between two layers of sportsbra and do have my earbuds in but they are quiet enough that I can hear other walkers and runners approaching.

That being said we live in a really safe and well lit neighbourhood and there are often quite a few other people out exercising when I go.

The times that I have run at night after dark I have either taken my neighbours dog for a run with me or my mother in laws. Both were really pleased to have their dogs exercised and I felt better having them with me!
  • rosejyoti55
    rosejyoti55 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in starting martial arts for protection and fitness, I would thoroughly recommend Ju-Jitsu, as it focuses on situation you would find yourself in on the street, rather than any lofty ideas of competition etc.

Whilst walking in a dodgy area I tend to carry a small knife - providing you aren't fatal, an attacker will be highly unlikely to go to the police about any injury due to their criminality.

Whilst running I keep a small screwdriver in my running pouch with my keys and phone (you can buy them on amazon for about a tenner - very handy)

Just don't tell other people you do this. If talking to an attacker, use a deeper voice than normal and try not to act panicked; you know the drill, they can back off and avoid hassle.
  • diane1968mfp
    diane1968mfp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I walk nearly everywhere but keep we're all. Lite up
  • diane1968mfp
    diane1968mfp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    dyemysoul wrote: »
    I always run with my 70lbs German shepherd...keeps people at a far distance.

That's good
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What is the best remedy for that?

What makes you feel unsafe? Once you understand that you can work out how to address the concerns.

To me, the biggest risk is someone in a car not paying attention and hitting me. That's a whole different game to dealing with other risks.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Most important thing - always have someone know where you're going (route) and when you will be back....

Curious, how does this help? Is it a way to make it easier for the authorities to find the body or find clues as to the make and model of the trunk you get stuffed into?

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I walk & hike with my phone and my heeler. I bike w/ my phone & pepper spray.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I live in Brooklyn and for some reason choose to run through the industrial crappy neighborhoods rather than to the park (uphill). I haven't brought pepper spray but I also wouldn't go at night. If I were to run at night I would stay on the busier avenues where there are lots of bodegas open.
  • yesimpson
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Most important thing - always have someone know where you're going (route) and when you will be back....

Curious, how does this help? Is it a way to make it easier for the authorities to find the body or find clues as to the make and model of the trunk you get stuffed into?

Um, realistically, more so someone comes looking sooner rather than later if you slip over and break an ankle...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »

Um, realistically, more so someone comes looking sooner rather than later if you slip over and break an ankle...

I have a feeling that only really helps for short runs. My partner only gets a bit uncomfortable if I'm more than an hour or so later than I said I'd be.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

In 2015 people are randomly breaking ankles and laying in the dark, hobbled and alone without a cell phone? Are you certain your scenario is more realistic than mine?
  • yesimpson
    Options

I have a feeling that only really helps for short runs. My partner only gets a bit uncomfortable if I'm more than an hour or so later than I said I'd be.

Agreed - I'm a predictable soul. 75 minutes is my maximum.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in starting martial arts for protection and fitness, I would thoroughly recommend Ju-Jitsu, as it focuses on situation you would find yourself in on the street, rather than any lofty ideas of competition etc.

^^ This, or any self-defense course really might give you a boost of confidence and the know-how to get away from an attacker. Personally I have a lengthy background in Martial Arts, so I have zero fear of walking alone at night (running... good luck catching me!).