Options

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Most important thing - always have someone know where you're going (route) and when you will be back....

Curious, how does this help? Is it a way to make it easier for the authorities to find the body or find clues as to the make and model of the trunk you get stuffed into?

Um, realistically, more so someone comes looking sooner rather than later if you slip over and break an ankle...

In 2015 people are randomly breaking ankles and laying in the dark, hobbled and alone without a cell phone? Are you certain your scenario is more realistic than mine?

I just thought your comment was a bit crass to be honest. If what you're suggesting does happen, the police will ask when you were expecting back so they can think about how long you've been missing. So telling someone where you're going and when you'll be back would be helpful. And if it makes people feel safer that seems fair enough.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas here already.
    Be aware (no earphones), walk/run toward traffic, being with someone is good if you can, wear bright colors & reflective fabrics, pay attention to your gut feeling!!!

Have a way to protect yourself if necessary (from 2 or 4-legged predators).
    This is my choice:
    glock-27-gen-4-40-fixed-b-jpg.117012

If I'm not carrying my purse (which has a built-in holster), or using a belt-hung holster, I'll use one of these belly bands (PT-1 from pistolwear.com). They work very well for being active, even jogging, & don't bounce.
    hqdefault.jpg
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Lots of good ideas here already.
    Be aware (no earphones), walk/run toward traffic, being with someone is good if you can, wear bright colors & reflective fabrics, pay attention to your gut feeling!!!

Have a way to protect yourself if necessary (from 2 or 4-legged predators).
    This is my choice:
    glock-27-gen-4-40-fixed-b-jpg.117012

If I'm not carrying my purse (which has a built-in holster), or using a belt-hung holster, I'll use one of these belly bands (PT-1 from pistolwear.com). They work very well for being active, even jogging, & don't bounce.
    hqdefault.jpg

You obviously don't take your personal safety very seriously.

Streetsweeper or just stay home

tumblr_myuxf5RReN1sfkw0no1_500.jpg
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Be alert. Stay away from shrubbery and dark spots. Stay away from empty areas. Most important vary your route and the time of your run. Dogs are usually more a real danger than people.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Most important thing - always have someone know where you're going (route) and when you will be back....

Curious, how does this help? Is it a way to make it easier for the authorities to find the body or find clues as to the make and model of the trunk you get stuffed into?

Actually someone comes and saves you from becoming "a body" when you're severelly injured but not killed. Or freezing to death or pneumonia in a secluded part of a park all night while they look elsewhere. Seriously, you don't think it's important that someone knows when and where to start looking for you if you're missing? Anyway getting stuffed in a trunk happens mote rarely I should think and also a lot easier to avoid than getting overpowered and raped in a dark alley. But really, if you're in *this* kind of neighbourhood, as I said, don't run after dark, or at all.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If you don't live in a good, safe neighborhood where people are nosy, find just such a neighborhood and run there. I do live in such a neighborhood, so I try to run when people are awake. Our neighborhood even has more than one person in LE living nearby (there's a state trooper two doors down from us!) and if I'm running in the dark, I make darn sure my route takes me specifically down streets I know have LE living in them.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When I was young and thought I was invincible, I ran in all the bad places at night without a concern. Now that I am older and realize the risks, I got training, got a permit and carry a gun everywhere.

When running, I carry a gun in a concealed holster sold on eBay called NEOcarry. The NEOcarry is similar to the Pistol Wear holster.

Remember, when seconds count, help is minutes away.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I carry something similar to this
    mst6u569m7ro.jpg

I'm pretty sure it kept a guy from grabbing my phone outside of the grocery store. Or maybe he just realized there wasn't a lot of value in a $50 Ghettro PCS special.

Where did you get this thingymaboob?
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I wear my road ID and stay aware. That is all. I always do feel safe though and run from 5:30 to 7:30 am.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have 100lb protection trained German Shepherd. I have a friend that is a cop and he told me most perverts/criminals are more afraid of police dogs than they are guns. I KNOW my dog woul die trying to help me. She has been tested twice, pervert follwing me at dark. She turned around and it was like something out of a cops show. He turned around and jogged off in the other direction. That being said if they have a gun well, noboy is safe.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    mst6u569m7ro.jpg

I'm pretty sure it kept a guy from grabbing my phone outside of the grocery store. Or maybe he just realized there wasn't a lot of value in a $50 Ghettro PCS special.

The flea market, but when I googled "cat defense keychain" I saw a bunch of online stores selling them. I've also randomly seen them in gas stations.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    mst6u569m7ro.jpg

The flea market, but when I googled "cat defense keychain" I saw a bunch of online stores selling them. I've also randomly seen them in gas stations.

mmk. If I'm feeling unsafe I usually carry my keys between my fingers but this thing looks more intense. I could mess up some eyes with that.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I have 100lb protection trained German Shepherd. I have a friend that is a cop and he told me most perverts/criminals are more afraid of police dogs than they are guns. I KNOW my dog woul die trying to help me. She has been tested twice, pervert follwing me at dark. She turned around and it was like something out of a cops show. He turned around and jogged off in the other direction. That being said if they have a gun well, noboy is safe.

How did you determine that he was a pervert and not a guy out getting in some exercise before you sic'd Cujo on him? Did he drop his PervertPass ID during his mad scramble to get out of there to find an easier victim?
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    mst6u569m7ro.jpg

mmk. If I'm feeling unsafe I usually carry my keys between my fingers but this thing looks more intense. I could mess up some eyes with that.

It has already ruined the lining of one purse.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

He hadn't been tested until the threat does not back down.

Fortunately, in most cases, it never happens because the dog is enough of a deterrent.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »
    Streetsweeper or just stay home

tumblr_myuxf5RReN1sfkw0no1_500.jpg

Infantry squad offering support fire and a response company on the flightline ready to lift as soon as the contact report comes in :)

No need to mess around with toys.

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

How did you determine that he was a pervert and not a guy out getting in some exercise before you sic'd Cujo on him? Did he drop his PervertPass ID during his mad scramble to get out of there to find an easier victim?

I'd like to know this, too, so that I can avoid getting attacked by someones dog just because I happen to run in a similar direction.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »

I'd like to know this, too, so that I can avoid getting attacked by someones dog just because I happen to run in a similar direction.

Fear is a powerful emotion.

We've somehow convinced ourselves that there is something unspeakable around the next corner (or behind us, or lurking in a bush).

Perhaps there's just other people getting on with their lives out there and not zoning in on you with mal-intent all the time.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I always carry identification and enough money to get a cab home and my phone. The one time I didn't have my phone with me I had a car accident on my bike and ended up in the emergency room without being able to walk and get to a pay phone. ;-/
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Unless, of course, I'm a pervert who loves dogs and knows the weakness of the GSD breed. "Oh, who's a good boy/girl! Are you a good boy/girl? Yes, you are! Here's a cheeseburger and some french fries, sweetie. Yes, yes, I love you, sweetums!"

:D;)

(That said, I have a GSD and that's the main reason I don't have or need a gun. My GSD is superb at ferretting out the difference between people with bad intentions and people with good intentions. Thanks to her, I managed to avoid one con artist and have trusted some folks I probably wouldn't have otherwise trusted who turned out to be very good people, almost angels!)