Personal safety while walking/running

Options

Replies

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    I've never really had to worry about safety when running because... well no one is going to catch me when I run ;)
    I can just bolt from a dangerous situation. Unless they've got a gun and feel like shooting, there isn't anything they can do about it.

Because you know for a fact that you can run faster than someone who is trying to get you?

Mmkay.
    Ran a marathon last October and finished in the top 8%
    How many violent criminals are also dedicated runners? Not many.
    So... I like my chances :)
  • AshC1023
    AshC1023 Posts: 109
    edited January 2015
    Options
    105 lb. German Shepherd and a 1911...most people don't even approach me on the same side of the street when I have my dog. That's a good thing, he's not very fond of strangers and neither am I.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I live in a city and run in a park. If I run after dark, it is during busy times when a lot of other people are also running...after work 6-8pm timeframe. I feel safe as long as I see other people. If I go too late and start to notice it getting deserted, I am a little more nervous and pay closer attention. I won't wear headphones in that situation.

If I lived in the suburbs or someplace more deserted, I would bring a weapon or not go when it is dark. But you have to evaluate the risk and do what you feel comfortable with based on your own judgment.

I thought other people is what everyone here was afraid of?
    If I am always within sight of a dozen people, there is very little chance somebody is going to try to attack me because there would be many witnesses and odds are somebody would intervene or at least call 911. However, as it gets later there will be times when I see nobody at all for spaces of time. That isolation makes it easier for a would be attacker to make their move and not be seen.

• Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I got too nervous running in the dark at 5 a.m. before work. So I purchased a treadmill off craigs list for $50. I live in a rural neighborhood, and not a very good neighborhood. Even running with my dog didn't make me feel 100% safe. However make sure you stay in a very well lit area. And YES do carry pepper spray, some sort of weapon for protection. I personally run the treadmill before work, and on the weekends run with my dog outdoors. Summer will be here soon enough
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Plenty of good ideas here. What I find laughable is the need for some to come in to shoot down a lot of them, deeming them unnecessary, silly, or worthless. What's the point.

There's a question of proportionality, and appropriate response to the risk.

One really has to start from the basis of understanding the risk, before establishing what an appropriate response might be. I can see why some of these responses wouldn't be considered proportionate, given the risk described.

Mind you, as identified above, different people have different risk appetites. One has to make a decision about what the appetite is, and whether the cost of the responses actually make sense. If going out for 20-30 minutes loaded down with all the kit is an enjoyable experience, then fine, crack on. I'm less than convinced that it might be and that could be enough to put people off running when there isn't a significant risk.

Equally, if one is doing 30-40km of trail running, then some of these precautions make some sense.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    dyemysoul wrote: »
    I always run with my 70lbs German shepherd...keeps people at a far distance.

This is my safety method too!
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Most important thing - always have someone know where you're going (route) and when you will be back....

Curious, how does this help? Is it a way to make it easier for the authorities to find the body or find clues as to the make and model of the trunk you get stuffed into?

Um, realistically, more so someone comes looking sooner rather than later if you slip over and break an ankle...

In 2015 people are randomly breaking ankles and laying in the dark, hobbled and alone without a cell phone? Are you certain your scenario is more realistic than mine?

Um, yeah. It could happen because not everyone takes their phones with them when they go out running.

Regardless if I take my phone with my I always let my husband know which route I'm running so he knows approximately how long it will take me. What good is a phone going to do me if I'm rendered unconscious and stuffed into the trunk of someone's car?

It's called common sense.

what good will letting your husband know where you are be if you're already stuffed in the trunk of someone's car? are we figuring the car is going to remain parked along your running route?

This trunk stuffing, is it something that happens often in your area? Do you take a sandwich, just in case?

I'm just glad I don't live in the minds of fear.
    I like running and biking at night, in the woods.

Sometimes I'm a little concerned with wildlife - boars and deer incidents do occur, but you deal with whatever happens.

You don't have to live in the "minds of fear" to be safe and cautious. I'm a small woman who lives by herself in a borderline sketchy neighborhood. I text a friend where I'm going and approximately when I expect to be back then I text her when I get home; I tell her what time she should start calling by if she hasn't heard from me. It's unlikely that something will happen, but if something were to happen, I'd rather someone realize it within 30 minutes of it happening than no one realizing it until the next day when I don't show up to work. It's comforting to know that if something happened--whether an accident or an attack--that they would be able to start looking for me at the place I was at most recently and very shortly after it happened rather than having absolutely no clue where I was or what I was doing or when I should have been back and having no clue where to start. My phone could die, it could break, it could be taken from me, I could be unconscious, etc. -- so many scenarios that could render my bringing my phone with me useless and it would therefore be helpful for someone to know where to start looking for me.

I always have my phone, I only run outside in the daylight, I wear reflective gear, I carry mace, and I always tell someone where I'm going and when to be concerned if they haven't heard from me. I'm not overly fearful but it doesn't take much time or effort at all to do these things and they could make all the difference in the world if the unlikely thing actually happened.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    AshC1023 wrote: »
    105 lb. German Shepherd and a 1911...most people don't even approach me on the same side of the street when I have my dog. That's a good thing, he's not very fond of strangers and neither am I.
    Just make sure you can control the dog. I had a lady and her dog removed from a park in November. She couldn't keep it under control. I expect that I can run by you and your dog without worry.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    For those of you who want to use technology, I suggest iNeverSolo.com (doesn't require you to take your phone with you) and even RoadID (I wear a roadID because I have important medical issues and can put all of the pertinant details there for paramedics) has an Android app for safety.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Carry a heavy flashlight. You can also use your keys; just put one key between each finger. Not always noticeable, and can do a lot of damage if needed. I also don't walk at night alone, even if there are streetlights. I tend toward a bit of paranoia in that regard. Too many Forensic Files marathons! XD
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Too many Forensic Files marathons! XD

That seems to be endemic in the thread.

Not sure about the US given that everywhere has their own local laws, but in the UK many of the uses of keys, flashlights as clubs etc would constitute premeditation in a criminal case.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think I love Canada now. For safety I wear this:
    led-armbands-reflective-bands-flashing-safety.jpg
    And I am getting me one of these:
    ice_tag_small.png

• jc93230
    jc93230 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The dog tags are a good idea. I wear a tag with 2 ICE numbers, my name, date of birth, allergies and blood type.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I do use a Road ID for long rides or events - it has contact info, blood type and my pen allergy.

RID_Family_Scene.png

Sometimes, it is the only id I have on me.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Too many Forensic Files marathons! XD

That seems to be endemic in the thread.

Not sure about the US given that everywhere has their own local laws, but in the UK many of the uses of keys, flashlights as clubs etc would constitute premeditation in a criminal case.

As far as I know in the US, it's not premeditation if you're using it for self defense. You can't kill someone with the keys like that, and while conceal and carry laws vary from state to state in regards to firearms, carrying something like the keys or a heavy flashlight or a safety whistle are perfectly legal to carry and use if needed. I'm not sure about pepper spray, I think that's regulated by state too, but feel free to correct that.

Also, yeah shows like Forensic Files and the like may up my caution level a bit, I've been in places where bad things have happened. I know there was several rapes a year when I was going to college, and I don't think that number has gone down. It's sheer luck that I was never raped on campus when I was working the checkpoint booths at night there, though that may be because I always carried a heavy flashlight and the walkie-talkie in my hand as I walked back to the station. So if I'm paranoid, there is cause to be, especially since I lived alone as a single woman for a lot of years in some not-quite-ghetto-but-still-not-nice apartment complexes.

• auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't carry anything with me when I run after dark. Bad, I know. I just look around and behind me a lot.

ETA: I do carry a flashlight and wear a lighted arm band.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited January 2015
    Options
    As far as I know in the US, it's not premeditation if you're using it for self defense. You can't kill someone with the keys like that,

You could puncture someones eye, or fairly easily open the throat arteries. You can kill someone with a pencil if you wanted to. The keyring upthread is long enough to penetrate the brain.

Lots of things are easy to use as weapons.

I'd also observe that from some perspectives, it becomes really handy when a victim brings their own weapons along. If you've got someone who's randomly thinking that they can wield keys, knuckledusters, knives and the like but haven't trained then all they're really doing is making a tool available to subdue them.

The same thing applies to those carrying a pistol. It's really easy to subdue a target, if you get close enough before becoming a clear threat, they've brought their own mechanism to keep themselves under control. More so because they've probably got a degree of confidence that the pistol somehow keeps them safer.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Lol. It's amazing how much safer you feel with a dog. Even a soppy lab makes me feel better.....

If I feel unsafe outside, I just don't go. I moved recently, but where I lived before I used to run along a main road in the dark or in a park in the light. In the dark, I used to see about 10-15 other runners, running individually, so I never felt unsafe or alone. In the park, I used to see loads of dogwalkers, so ditto. At my new place, there are very few runners and dog walks around at night, so I don't run outside in the dark. I now have a gym membership and run on the treadmills. I'm finding an added bonus that my asthma is better when I'm not running in the cold!

ETA: I also live in the UK. We don't generally have to worry about attackers with guns here.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Same here, I have a 70lb American Staffordshire Terrier, and he is extremely protective.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Carry a heavy flashlight.

You can also use your keys; just put one key between each finger.
    Laughable. I'm sure most people will not carry a heavy flashlight with them while running/walking as if they're some sort of prison guard. Most people don't carry a whole key ring with them either . This is not reality. Might as well put on the blue shirt and hat while you're at it.

jJhLekQl.jpg

If you're going to use a key, putting them between your fingers is asinine. You're just going to rip the skin off your fingers. Hold a single key in your hand and use it like a tiny knife. I don't know where the myth of using them like brass knuckles originated but it's not going to do much more than hurt your hand. Your attacker might faint from the sight of your blood perhaps but that's the only way it would help you.

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-safe-way-to-use-a-car-key-as-a-defenseattack-/