Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    MagJam2004 wrote: »
    I carry something similar to this
    mst6u569m7ro.jpg

I'm pretty sure it kept a guy from grabbing my phone outside of the grocery store. Or maybe he just realized there wasn't a lot of value in a $50 Ghettro PCS special.

I see a pair of baby twins wearing birthday hats, tossing a ball back and forth...and for the life of me, can't unsee it.
    OMG thanks for that. Now I can't unsee it! :smile:

ha I see it now too.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Most important thing - always have someone know where you're going (route) and when you will be back....

Curious, how does this help? Is it a way to make it easier for the authorities to find the body or find clues as to the make and model of the trunk you get stuffed into?

Um, realistically, more so someone comes looking sooner rather than later if you slip over and break an ankle...

In 2015 people are randomly breaking ankles and laying in the dark, hobbled and alone without a cell phone? Are you certain your scenario is more realistic than mine?

Um, yeah. It could happen because not everyone takes their phones with them when they go out running.

Regardless if I take my phone with my I always let my husband know which route I'm running so he knows approximately how long it will take me. What good is a phone going to do me if I'm rendered unconscious and stuffed into the trunk of someone's car?

It's called common sense.

what good will letting your husband know where you are be if you're already stuffed in the trunk of someone's car? are we figuring the car is going to remain parked along your running route?

This trunk stuffing, is it something that happens often in your area? Do you take a sandwich, just in case?

I'm just glad I don't live in the minds of fear.
    I like running and biking at night, in the woods.

Sometimes I'm a little concerned with wildlife - boars and deer incidents do occur, but you deal with whatever happens.

FFS it was just an example. Obviously a bad one.

My point was why wouldn't you tell someone where you are going regardless? Again, not everyone takes a phone with them when they head out for a quick run or walk. I never used to until my husband twisted his ankle bad when we were out for a run and I had to run back home to get the car and pick him up. Had we had a phone on us we could have called the gal in the office to come get us. Even when I carry my phone on a run I still let my husband know my route.

I never said I lived in fear. I prefer to be cautious and aware of what's going on around me. I'm not a fool who thinks nothing bad can happen to me but I'm also not someone who is paranoid and sicks my dog on someone who just happens to be walking behind me.

I don't consider it a necessity to tell someone where I am at all times.
    However, if you feel it's useful, do carry a phone - there are even apps that will send an alarm if you stop moving.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Do any of you carry pepper spray or anything while out and about? I don't always feel safe staying out after dark or setting out before sunrise. I hate that I feel that way. What is the best remedy for that? Does anyone here take any precautions besides the obvious- staying in populated areas/lighted paths, etc?

I carry heavy rocks when I run. If someone messes with me then I throw one at them. People see me with these heavy rocks and stay away. I haven't been kidnapped yet by a trunk-stuffing pervert so I'm sure this method works.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I live in a city and run in a park. If I run after dark, it is during busy times when a lot of other people are also running...after work 6-8pm timeframe. I feel safe as long as I see other people. If I go too late and start to notice it getting deserted, I am a little more nervous and pay closer attention. I won't wear headphones in that situation.

If I lived in the suburbs or someplace more deserted, I would bring a weapon or not go when it is dark. But you have to evaluate the risk and do what you feel comfortable with based on your own judgment.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I live in a city and run in a park. If I run after dark, it is during busy times when a lot of other people are also running...after work 6-8pm timeframe. I feel safe as long as I see other people. If I go too late and start to notice it getting deserted, I am a little more nervous and pay closer attention. I won't wear headphones in that situation.

If I lived in the suburbs or someplace more deserted, I would bring a weapon or not go when it is dark. But you have to evaluate the risk and do what you feel comfortable with based on your own judgment.

I thought other people is what everyone here was afraid of?
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    It gives you the confidence and the attitude to go out without fear. It also teaches you to be watchful. I never sit with my back to the door when in a public place like a bar lol.

This makes a huge difference, but there is a big transatlantic cultural issue. Attitude, presence and situational awareness are always the most important tools in the arsenal, anything else is just escalation.

^Pretty much this.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

There is presumabvly a sweet spot of number of other people, too few and it's high risk, too many and it's easy for any distress to get lost in the crowd.

I still consider cage dwellers the biggest risk, insulated in their nice warm metal boxes with their audio on too loud. No idea what's going on around them and only notice you on impact.

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Most important thing - always have someone know where you're going (route) and when you will be back. Even better, walk with company.

This is what I do. Someone knows where I'm going, and roughly how long I'll be. I've actually texted my mom that I was going out if I happened to be home alone. It may seem over the top to some, but I'd like to have someone know if I go missing!

I never wear headphones, I keep my cellphone in my pocket & I change my route slightly each time I'm out. I have my dog with me too, and although she's on the small side I think she'd still put up a good fight if she needed to.

My town is small, and pretty safe, but it's dark from 4:30pm on in the winter so I take precautions to be on the safe side.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I definitely advocate for bringing water, first aid supplies, and bear spray - it works on dogs and people too. I know everyone wants to be a "minimalist" or they want to go out with nothing but a thin layer of clothing... if that describes you, then do what you will do anyway. If you want to be practical, though, bring a backpack with water, first aid supplies, and wear your bear spray somewhere handy.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Plenty of good ideas here. What I find laughable is the need for some to come in to shoot down a lot of them, deeming them unnecessary, silly, or worthless. What's the point.

I always run with my dog, which gives me more confidence than if I were alone. I also carry a small keychain with pepper spray and a flashlight in case I end up taking longer than expected and am left in the dark. I also let my husband when I intend on leaving and returning. Never had a problem in my neighborhood, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.
  • _Waffle_
    Options

There is presumabvly a sweet spot of number of other people, too few and it's high risk, too many and it's easy for any distress to get lost in the crowd.

I still consider cage dwellers the biggest risk, insulated in their nice warm metal boxes with their audio on too loud. No idea what's going on around them and only notice you on impact.
    Yep. Your best safety bet isn't a dog or a gun. It's wearing reflective clothing if it's getting dark and being alert.

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Most important thing - always have someone know where you're going (route) and when you will be back....

Curious, how does this help? Is it a way to make it easier for the authorities to find the body or find clues as to the make and model of the trunk you get stuffed into?

Sometimes I think it's about time GPS micro-chip gets injected in us. Google, Corporates and Big Boss are anyway tracking our digital footprints might as well this.

• nineateseven
    nineateseven Posts: 65 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Pepper spray, phone (hubs can see my location on Find my Friends), high visibility with reflective gear and lights, and my personal favorite...

Being friendly.

Sounds silly, but bystanders are far more likely to help if you've made eye contact, smiled, and said hello. You're no longer some random person, you're "That nice girl who said hi and smiled at me." To a potential attacker, you're no longer a shadow in a crowd. People noticed you. They said hi. For all they know, those bystanders know exactly who you are.

Make friends :)

On the other side of things, work on your mean face. I don't mean an "angry" face like you make when someone ticks you off. I mean a face with no emotion, except a fierce anger radiating from your eyes that clearly communicates, "I'm not a wimpy pushover". If someone is honestly acting suspicious, use that look. Don't stare, but make it clear you saw their face. If someone's acting weird and you're just not sure, get on your phone. If you can't actually reach someone, fake it but be smart with your fake conversation. "Hi honey. Yeah, I'm almost done. I'm at the corner of Main and Broad, right near your brother John's house." (make up a nearby person).

It never hurts to call 911 if you're honestly freaked out. Just call and let the operator know what's going on, "I think someone's following me, but I'm not sure." Not only does that ensure that they know where you are (they'll GPS your phone), but they can talk you through what to do. If you don't know marshal arts, one way to fend of an attacker is to go deadweight. Even if you are tiny, they won't expect your entire weight to drop at once. It throws the person off and that will usually give you a chance to smash their nuts (even if it's a woman, a crotch shot is extremely painful), ram your elbow into their stomach or face, or claw their eyes out. Studies have also shown that bystanders are more likely to intervene and help if you call them out, "You, in the grey suit with the briefcase! Help! I don't know this person!" The use of "I don't know this person!" is also far more effective than just "Help!"

My nieghborhood is kind of borderline, but I have been able to run in the dark without any trouble. I do vary my route and times, and I stay away from open, dark areas like parks and sidewalks that run alongside cemeteries. Most of the time, I find there are a lot of other runners out, people walking their dogs, and friendly folks coming home from work or after school activities :)
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    When I used to run a lot (early morning, still dark), I would carry a small handgun (with a permit, obv) and my husband always knew which route I was taking.
  • runner475
    Options
    Do any of you carry pepper spray or anything while out and about? I don't always feel safe staying out after dark or setting out before sunrise. I hate that I feel that way. What is the best remedy for that? Does anyone here take any precautions besides the obvious- staying in populated areas/lighted paths, etc?

I carry heavy rocks when I run. If someone messes with me then I throw one at them. People see me with these heavy rocks and stay away. I haven't been kidnapped yet by a trunk-stuffing pervert so I'm sure this method works.

Your trolling has started to get pretty annoying.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I've never really had to worry about safety when running because... well no one is going to catch me when I run ;)
    I can just bolt from a dangerous situation. Unless they've got a gun and feel like shooting, there isn't anything they can do about it.
  • runner475
    Options

Yep. Your best safety bet isn't a dog or a gun. It's wearing reflective clothing if it's getting dark and being alert.

+1 to reflective clothing.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    I've never really had to worry about safety when running because... well no one is going to catch me when I run ;)
    I can just bolt from a dangerous situation. Unless they've got a gun and feel like shooting, there isn't anything they can do about it.

Because you know for a fact that you can run faster than someone who is trying to get you?

Mmkay.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I sometimes hike the path less taken, where I may pass someone every few hours. Guns aren't permitted there. My main worries are aggressive dogs, wild animals, and people.
    I'd like to know this, too, so that I can avoid getting attacked by someones dog just because I happen to run in a similar direction.

Them wily dogs again! We have lease laws in my area, and I don't worry about the good dog owners, just the others who--once they get 30+ minutes away from civilization--let their aggressive dogs roam a couple minutes ahead of them. "Sorry" doesn't make it better.

A good knife is my tool of choice. Just being able project "I'm dangerous" helps, and your chances of survival if it comes to swipes improve significantly. Not long ago, an elderly woman on the trails fought off a mountain lion with no more than a pencil. A knife also has other uses.

I'm not so worried about the dogs as I am wild hogs. Those suckers get big and vicious. I know I can't carry a gun onto my favorite hiking trail, and I already have a knife, but I'm not entirely sure that a knife will do anything to a 300 lb plus hog except make it madder. . . I've been thinking about pepper spray. And even though we officially don't, we really do occasionally have panthers. That is a bit of a worry, but not much of one.

Biggest worry is snakes though, and for that, I just wear TurtleSkins and make sure the snakes know I'm there as soon as I know they're there and tell myself that snake bites kill about as often as bee stings. . .they just hurt a (*&*(&^%&^$ lot worse!
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I once brought up the problems with earphones and took a lot flack. However being alert is the best way to stay safe. One person said they don't look a victim. That is so important. Walk tall, don't look down, let people know you see them. So often victims just aren't aware of their surroundings and bad people know it.