Personal safety while walking/running

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    dyemysoul wrote: »
    I always run with my 70lbs German shepherd...keeps people at a far distance.

Lol. It's amazing how much safer you feel with a dog. Even a soppy lab makes me feel better.....

If I feel unsafe outside, I just don't go. I moved recently, but where I lived before I used to run along a main road in the dark or in a park in the light. In the dark, I used to see about 10-15 other runners, running individually, so I never felt unsafe or alone. In the park, I used to see loads of dogwalkers, so ditto. At my new place, there are very few runners and dog walks around at night, so I don't run outside in the dark. I now have a gym membership and run on the treadmills. I'm finding an added bonus that my asthma is better when I'm not running in the cold!

ETA: I also live in the UK. We don't generally have to worry about attackers with guns here.

Yeah, the dog doesn't actually have to be aggressive. Usually it's the uncertainty of what the dog might do, and the thought that most of them would at least cause a commotion and attract attention that's the main deterrent. Most attackers are interested in easy targets.

Now, if someone is specifically targeting and has been stalking you ... well, then they've probably planned to deal with the dog and you'd better hope you have some method of defense they don't know about.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2015
    I sometimes hike the path less taken, where I may pass someone every few hours. Guns aren't permitted there. My main worries are aggressive dogs, wild animals, and people.
    I'd like to know this, too, so that I can avoid getting attacked by someones dog just because I happen to run in a similar direction.

Them wily dogs again! We have lease laws in my area, and I don't worry about the good dog owners, just the others who--once they get 30+ minutes away from civilization--let their aggressive dogs roam a couple minutes ahead of them. "Sorry" doesn't make it better.

A good knife is my tool of choice. Just being able project "I'm dangerous" helps, and your chances of survival if it comes to swipes improve significantly. Not long ago, an elderly woman on the trails fought off a mountain lion with no more than a pencil. A knife also has other uses.

It's not just the aggressive dogs, it's any loose dog. My dog happens to be dog-aggressive. He's fine with dogs passing him, but he won't tolerate them coming right up to him. He stays on very short leash, tied across my torso so he has to stay within a foot of my side, and if he lunges there's no possibility that he'll pull out of my grip. That happened once, seriously injured my hand (plus, loose dog == very, very bad), never again.

I can't tell you how many times I've been dragged half off of my feet because some nitwit let their dog off the leash and they've run up to yap in my dog's face. It's usually some tiny little Yorkie or Chihuahua with the owner yelling, "Don't worry - he's friendly!" off in the distance.

*sigh*
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    segacs wrote: »
    PLEASE don't go around carrying dangerous weapons that you don't know how to use. Imagine how terrible you'd feel if you accidentally hurt or injured a kid or something just due to being jumpy.

Not sure why you would assume we dont know how to use them? I carry a pistol and a switchblade, and am well versed in how and when to use, and I practice regularly.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    aylajane wrote: »
    PLEASE don't go around carrying dangerous weapons that you don't know how to use. Imagine how terrible you'd feel if you accidentally hurt or injured a kid or something just due to being jumpy.

Not sure why you would assume we dont know how to use them? I carry a pistol and a switchblade, and am well versed in how and when to use, and I practice regularly.

Yes, actual police officers are killing unarmed people by mistake* but you've been trained so much better than them to the point that you're infallible

*if they never get tried, convicted, or jailed perhaps I'm in the wrong to call it a mistake.
  • aylajane
    edited January 2015
    DavPul wrote: »

Yes, actual police officers are killing unarmed people by mistake* but you've been trained so much better than them to the point that you're infallible

*if they never get tried, convicted, or jailed perhaps I'm in the wrong to call it a mistake.

I was not trying to be combative with you... I never said I was better than them or infallible (neither are they). Simply that I am trained enough to feel comfortable if I should need to use it, and I certainly would never do it lightly - I would have to feel extremely threatened with immediate danger that I could not run away from. I could accidently kill someone just as easily with certain self-defense techniques - should I avoid those too? I am simply unwilling to put the safety of someone trying to hurt me over my own. If there are women and children and innocent people around, it is unlikely i would have the occasion to need it anyway as I would first yell for help - so the likelihood of shooting an unarmed person "by mistake" who is NOT intent on hurting me is very unlikely.

I take it very seriously. In any case, your sarcasm and derision are not enough to change my mind about carrying it. Maybe you could state your objections in a more educational manner, and it might be better received - if you actually want to convince people to think about this and perhaps change their mind, consider changing your method of delivering your message?
  • DavPul

I was not trying to be combative with you... I never said I was better than them or infallible (neither are they). Simply that I am trained enough to feel comfortable if I should need to use it, and I certainly would never do it lightly - I would have to feel extremely threatened with immediate danger that I could not run away from. I could accidently kill someone just as easily with certain self-defense techniques - should I avoid those too? I am simply unwilling to put the safety of someone trying to hurt me over my own. If there are women and children and innocent people around, it is unlikely i would have the occasion to need it anyway as I would first yell for help - so the likelihood of shooting an unarmed person "by mistake" who is NOT intent on hurting me is very unlikely.

I take it very seriously. In any case, your sarcasm and derision are not enough to change my mind about carrying it. Maybe you could state your objections in a more educational manner, and it might be better received - if you actually want to convince people to think about this and perhaps change their mind, consider changing your method of delivering your message?

Why would you think the purpose of my sarcasm would be to change your mind?
  • aylajane
    Oh no worries - my mistake! Carry on venting, and I will carry on carrying :)

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

I was not trying to be combative with you... I never said I was better than them or infallible (neither are they). Simply that I am trained enough to feel comfortable if I should need to use it, and I certainly would never do it lightly - I would have to feel extremely threatened with immediate danger that I could not run away from. I could accidently kill someone just as easily with certain self-defense techniques - should I avoid those too? I am simply unwilling to put the safety of someone trying to hurt me over my own. if there are women and children and innocent people around, it is unlikely i would have the occasion to need it anyway as I would first yell for help - so the likelihood of shooting an unarmed person "by mistake" who is NOT intent on hurting me is very unlikely.

But not men?
    You wouldn't yell for help then?

I'm not getting this.
  • aylajane
    edited January 2015

I was not trying to be combative with you... I never said I was better than them or infallible (neither are they). Simply that I am trained enough to feel comfortable if I should need to use it, and I certainly would never do it lightly - I would have to feel extremely threatened with immediate danger that I could not run away from. I could accidently kill someone just as easily with certain self-defense techniques - should I avoid those too? I am simply unwilling to put the safety of someone trying to hurt me over my own. if there are women and children and innocent people around, it is unlikely i would have the occasion to need it anyway as I would first yell for help - so the likelihood of shooting an unarmed person "by mistake" who is NOT intent on hurting me is very unlikely.

But not men?
    You wouldn't yell for help then?

I'm not getting this.

Yes even men ! Who were covered by the "innocent people", but I see your point. Yes I would yell for help then as well. My mistake :) - I should have simply said "innocent bystanders". Does that help?

• DavPul
    Men? Innocent?

Not even once
  • sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    Wow, I am so lucky to live in an area that has never felt dangerous any time I wanted to be out walking or running. My dog would knock you down trying to lick your face. Personal safety is using the crosswalks and applying sunscreen.

I stopped running in the mountains because lions and bears.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    sssgilber wrote: »
    Wow, I am so lucky to live in an area that has never felt dangerous any time I wanted to be out walking or running. My dog would knock you down trying to lick your face. Personal safety is using the crosswalks and applying sunscreen.

And tigers? Oh my!

Yeah, the biggest concern is sunburn and cars. Also these kids riding their bikes to school in the morning. They weave all over the place and ride 6 wide on a 3 wide trail.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    sssgilber wrote: »

Keep surfing that privilege.
  • vickierivero1
    vickierivero1 Posts: 46 Member
    This is my very first time admitting this publicly but I was raped a year 1/2 ago while I was out walking. I Still cannot bring myself to go out alone. Even when I am in the store I look over my shoulder now. I am a stay at home mama. We live in an apartment and I only go outside when I am leaving. Fear took me over. I only use my exercise equipment and my own body for strengthening exercises. I wouldn't even feel comfortable carrying pepper spray or a knife. Unless my fiance hits the park with me to walk/run, I do not go.
  • DavPul
    This is my very first time admitting this publicly but I was raped a year 1/2 ago while I was out walking. I Still cannot bring myself to go out alone. Even when I am in the store I look over my shoulder now. I am a stay at home mama. We live in an apartment and I only go outside when I am leaving. Fear took me over. I only use my exercise equipment and my own body for strengthening exercises. I wouldn't even feel comfortable carrying pepper spray or a knife. Unless my fiance hits the park with me to walk/run, I do not go.

that's awful. i'm very sorry this happened to you. i'm glad you have your fiance to help you deal with this and i hope you continue in both your quest for fitness and in feeling safe and in control of your life. best wishes
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member

I'd also observe that from some perspectives, it becomes really handy when a victim brings their own weapons along.

This is why I like pepper spray. Even if an attacker did get my spray out of my hand, said attacker could make me extremely uncomfortable, but wouldn't be able to do me any permanent harm with my own weapon.

When I was attacked, if I had had a gun in my purse instead of pepper spray, I would have shot and potentially killed my attacker. Before that day, I wouldn't have imagined being capable of such a thing, but now I know that I am. I'm glad that I had the pepper spray instead and don't have to spend the rest of my life living with the consequences of what a gun could have done.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Unless you are 110 % certain that you have the skills and the strength of mind to actually cut/shoot someone, don't carry knives or guns. You will only end up with an assailant who now has a knife and/or a gun.
  • DavPul

I'd also observe that from some perspectives, it becomes really handy when a victim brings their own weapons along.

This is why I like pepper spray. Even if an attacker did get my spray out of my hand, said attacker could make me extremely uncomfortable, but wouldn't be able to do me any permanent harm with my own weapon.

When I was attacked, if I had had a gun in my purse instead of pepper spray, I would have shot and potentially killed my attacker. Before that day, I wouldn't have imagined being capable of such a thing, but now I know that I am. I'm glad that I had the pepper spray instead and don't have to spend the rest of my life living with the consequences of what a gun could have done.

Regret over taking the life of another human being?

Y so much communism?
  • aylajane

I understand what you are saying here, but honestly if I have to choose between living with the consequences of killing another human being, and living with the consequences of what they do to me if I dont, I will chose the former. It would not be pleasant, and I am sure I would feel guilt the rest of my life - but to me that is the lesser of two evils... If I didnt, I would either be dead myself, or living forever with the results of the attack. As vickie mentioned above, that has serious lifelong consequences too.

And many people who do end up carrying a gun or knife do so *because* they are currently living with those results of a prior attack and realize it is NOT "better than" the guilt of having taken someone's life. It's very easy to say what you would or would not do, if you have never actually been faced with that situation.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    MagJam2004 wrote: »
    I carry something similar to this
    mst6u569m7ro.jpg

I'm pretty sure it kept a guy from grabbing my phone outside of the grocery store. Or maybe he just realized there wasn't a lot of value in a $50 Ghettro PCS special.

I see a pair of baby twins wearing birthday hats, tossing a ball back and forth...and for the life of me, can't unsee it.

...GDit. Now you got me seeing it.