How to be ok with it all?

Options
Hi,

I need to get my head straight with weight loss. E.g logging food ...I know its a good thing, I know that you need to do it consitantly and with accuraccy. I know that if I want to loose weight I will need to start doing it. But....

I just am really pissed that I have to do it. I hate that our bodies dont self regulate. I hate that so many great tasting foods are high in calories/sugar/bad fats. I hate that I get cravings, cant stop at one cake (whole box goes). I am so angry about it all.

Its like I want to live in a reality where our bodies grave good food, reject bad food, dont want to overeat and changing yourself is as easy as making a choice.

I have been in therapy for a while and recently started with a new one that specializes in weight and eating issues.

So how did you do it? How did you manage to change your mind? Accept continualy logging? Accept that some foods were trigger foods and were off the menu for life? Say no to yourself when a craving hits? Get your *kitten* down the gym when you dont want to? Be at peace with it all?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    <personal>
    Realise that as an adult, you can, and have to make adult decisions.

Be in control, you put the food in your mouth, you can choose to eat one cake, not a whole box.

Accept that there are no 'bad' foods, and anything can fit in to calorie and macronutrient goals. Crave chocolate, eat chocolate. Crave donuts, eat donuts. Crave cucumber, eat cucumber. It's all energy. If it fits, you can eat it.

Understand that deprivation of something you like, leads to unhappiness, which leads to failure.
    </personal>
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I told myself

"Tough, you're not a child. Get over yourself. If you want to continue living like that - stay fat.
    Otherwise do something about it."

and then I heard my mother in my head saying "I want doesn't get"
  • Beanogirl
    Beanogirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think I will have to log every day of my life even when I get to my goal. I can live with it, as to me it is better than the alternative, which would probably be putting all the weight back on.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Like the previous poster said, grow up. Most of us are overweight because life is too easy. I'm not complaining about having an easy life, but I just have to realize that that means I need to eat less than I would like. I take comfort in knowing that in a few months I can raise my calorie goal by several hundred calories, and I don't treat any food as being something I can never eat. Moderation is the key.
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm the type of person where if I'm not constantly paying attention to what I eat, I overeat and gain. And I have skinny mini friends that eat nothing but tons of fast food and other crap and never gain a pound. It totally IS frustrating and unfair. But it is the way it is. Accepting reality means accepting that most things are simply unfair. We can either choose to adapt in order to maintain control over our weight, or choose to live as we please and allow our weight to escalate more and more. Personally I've chosen to adapt. I'd rather be healthy and lose this godawful extra weight, while having to pay close attention to what and how much I eat, than wake up one day with diabetes, COPD, 100-200-300lbs overweight, and who knows what other ailments. Not to mention the emotional and mental strain that extra weight burdens us with. So yes, I understand that you resent having to do this. But you know it's worth it. You can do it!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Can you find a way to enjoy it? Feel a sense of satisfaction when you've completed a day's logging? Give yourself a high-five when you go to the gym (better style, find an activity that you like doing)
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I realised I wanted to be lighter, fit and healthy more than I wanted to keep making excuses. Basically I grew up and took responsibility for myself and my body. I can have *some* chocolate/cake/pizza, I don't have to have it *ALL*. I learned to love that buzz after exercise. And I got my 'high' from knowing that I'm doing myself a world of good.

Also the 'If not now, when?' phrase resonated with me. If I didn't reign myself in and learn some good habits right now, it would be a lot harder down the line, by which time the damage my be too great to reverse. Also, I quite enjoy logging (both calories eaten and burned), I treat it like a little game - always trying to be a bit better and beat my PBs. When I don't do as well as I might have liked, I pick myself up and try again/harder. Coming at it from a positive place (dropping the anger and the frustration and embracing the challenge to become a better version of me) helped a LOT!

I dunno - you have to find what works for you but the 'it's not fair' attitude won't get you very far at all. Life isn't fair (which isn't fair!) but that's the way it is, make the best of it.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are built to crave what we need. However, we are no longer required to hunt and gather food, and be constantly active. Our bodies have not caught up with the modern way of living with cars, grocery stores and delivery fast food. You can train your body to crave/react to food in a new way and logging helps with that. Sugar cravings are usually a sign of overeating, for example, as our body can use sugar to aid in digestion. Also various other food cravings are due to deficiencies in our diet and our brains have associated that craving with a high calorie food. However, there are many websites and books out there that can aid in defining what the craving means and what you can do about it using fresh foods.

If you have anger about logging you might struggle with maintaining this way of life. I would suggest to relax and enjoy the ride.

Good Luck.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Can you find a way to enjoy it? Feel a sense of satisfaction when you've completed a day's logging? Give yourself a high-five when you go to the gym (better style, find an activity that you like doing)

Learn to eat to live instead of living to eat. I can usually predict when someone is going gain their weight back. They reach goal and their focus remains on food - when, where, what, how much, why, how. People who develop new interests find that food gets put into perspective if their lives are full.

• NasMax
    NasMax Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    acahane wrote: »
    Hi,

I need to get my head straight with weight loss. E.g logging food ...I know its a good thing, I know that you need to do it consitantly and with accuraccy. I know that if I want to loose weight I will need to start doing it. But....

I just am really pissed that I have to do it. I hate that our bodies dont self regulate. I hate that so many great tasting foods are high in calories/sugar/bad fats. I hate that I get cravings, cant stop at one cake (whole box goes). I am so angry about it all.

Its like I want to live in a reality where our bodies grave good food, reject bad food, dont want to overeat and changing yourself is as easy as making a choice.

I have been in therapy for a while and recently started with a new one that specializes in weight and eating issues.

So how did you do it? How did you manage to change your mind? Accept continualy logging? Accept that some foods were trigger foods and were off the menu for life? Say no to yourself when a craving hits? Get your *kitten* down the gym when you dont want to? Be at peace with it all?

so given all that, what would you say your biggest problem is when it comes to losing weight/getting lean?? (In just once sentence)

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    NasMax wrote: »
    acahane wrote: »
    Hi,

so given all that, what would you say your biggest problem is when it comes to losing weight/getting lean?? (In just once sentence)

Let me try

Is it "I don't wanna"
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Once I realized that losing weight was just counting calories and being at the correct deficit, it was actually kind of a relief to me. I am a "list maker" kind of person, I enjoy them and completing my diary for the day is just another list. One I will probably have to make for the rest of my life. Its better than being fat. Also, you dont have to live without any of your favorite foods! Just smaller amounts.
  • Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi! You can add me as friend if you would like it, sorry I don't log my food.

I am pissed off at pizza because I love the taste but It never makes me full. If I eat pizza, I'll become hungry very soon after that so that is why I don't eat it anymore. I had a theory about junk food in which you can eat one junk food on one day of the week like Monday but the more rarely I ate junk food the less I missed it. I am angry at junk food because one meal of junk food can counteract a whole week of or days of perfect, strict diet.
    I think you have to create a hard rule-set about your diet so when you see or meet face to face with junk food you know that you can eat it or not. The more popular theory is you can eat it in moderation because if you never could eat it it would create more, uncontrollable cravings. Most of junk food is designed to make you want to eat more so my opinion is: eat them never or your favourite junk product once a week.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Once I got into a routine the logging food turned into not such a big deal. The rewards of weight loss and improved energy levels really helps.

For me I have to eat fairly restrictively not because there is anything wrong with eating junk food within reason but because I have health issues that manifest within 15 minutes to 2 hours of eating a whole list of foods. (including quite a few healthy foods) So this is for life, no ice cream, lactose, chocolate, (raw cacao in small amounts ok) high sugar, (high fructose in particular so fruit in moderation and definitely not fruit juices) most grains, (I am always falling behind in my carbs) as far as I know all artificial sugars too and a number of additives. Anything with caffeine is out too and all sodas.

So really unless you have a health problem like that enjoy your food just keep it under your daily calorie allowance.

Taking on a healthy lifestyle doesn't mean all the joy gets sucked out of your life. Actually since taking control of my fitness and being accountable for the food I eat, happiness in my life has increased. I still really enjoy food and I do eat big meals, and I am losing weight.

Make sure you start introducing things in your life apart from food that soothes you when you are anxious, rewards you when you need a lift and gives you some relief when you are sad or angry.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I focus on eating healthy rather than the weight loss part otherwise I would lose my mind quickly.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Im very logical as well and analytical. You seem to be halfway there in understanding how some of this works. Thats good.

You now need to take the next step of putting it into action and getting on with it.
    Thats just logic for me:
    Understand, plan and then decide if you want to do ti by taking responsibility for everything that comes with dieting as something that comes with the territory. The benefits are the results.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I see this as a tool to learn what my mind and body forgot - how to eat the right amount of food to maintain my weight (or at this moment lose a bit). I'm getting better at figuring it out and I know that in another year or so, I probably won't have to use it. I'll use the scale and fit of clothing to know if I'm overeating or under-eating. But in the meanwhile, I'm giving myself two years of training. I had to learn how to be a good therapist, to be a good hockey player, so why not learn how to be a good "eater".
  • NasMax
    NasMax Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Spocky wrote: »
    Hi! You can add me as friend if you would like it, sorry I don't log my food.

I am pissed off at pizza because I love the taste but It never makes me full. If I eat pizza, I'll become hungry very soon after that so that is why I don't eat it anymore. I had a theory about junk food in which you can eat one junk food on one day of the week like Monday but the more rarely I ate junk food the less I missed it. I am angry at junk food because one meal of junk food can counteract a whole week of or days of perfect, strict diet.
    I think you have to create a hard rule-set about your diet so when you see or meet face to face with junk food you know that you can eat it or not. The more popular theory is you can eat it in moderation because if you never could eat it it would create more, uncontrollable cravings. Most of junk food is designed to make you want to eat more so my opinion is: eat them never or your favourite junk product once a week.

You sound like junk food is forcing itself on you rather than the other way around

• karlsantiago
    karlsantiago Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    TRAIN YOUR BRAIN
    There is absolutely no other way around it. You can't just FORCE yourself to enjoy working out and eating healthy; it is impossible and WILL be detrimental to your personal development. So ultimately, at this present time you are going to have to suffer my friend. It's called tough love, there is no one out there that is really going to care about your excuses other than those that you pay to do that. Is that what you want? The only thing that anyone in this world cares about is EFFORT and RESULTS and once you see those results, something in your mind will trigger you to adhere to them. It will train your consciousness to follow the same activities that led to those DESIRABLE results.

Personally, I *kitten* hated eating healthy and tracking macros, etc. I STILL DO! But I am addicted to what I have become and I have become exponentially stronger mentally because what I trained my mind to be.

BOTTOM LINE: No excuses, no gimmicks, suffer now, reap rewards later on.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    After 'falling off the wagon' twice I realised i would never lose weight if I didn't accurately and honestly log my calories. I am also very stubborn and understand that if I don't reign in my pate and cheese binges I will never be at the weight and level of health I want to be when I am older. OK, I might be restricting myself a teeny weeny bit much at the mo, but its my own fault and if I want to be able to eat a more varied diet later on down the line I need to make my relationship with food a bit more functional than its been lately.

Basically, for me, its suck it up, log cals, or keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again.