How to be ok with it all?

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I taught myself that it was better to eat 2 cookies now and save the rest of them for tomorrow (and future tomorrows) so I could always have 2 cookies a day than eat 36 cookies and not have anymore until payday (2 weeks).
  • NasMax
    NasMax Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    joolsmd wrote: »
    After 'falling off the wagon' twice I realised i would never lose weight if I didn't accurately and honestly log my calories. I am also very stubborn and understand that if I don't reign in my pate and cheese binges I will never be at the weight and level of health I want to be when I am older. OK, I might be restricting myself a teeny weeny bit much at the mo, but its my own fault and if I want to be able to eat a more varied diet later on down the line I need to make my relationship with food a bit more functional than its been lately.

Basically, for me, its suck it up, log cals, or keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

what do you think the reason is that you kept falling off the wagon?

• acahane
    acahane Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies.

I knew typing this out I would get a few "grow up", "get on with it", "just do it" types of replies. To all of those, I am glad that mentality worked for you..it does not work for everyone.

Being honest and showing your weakness is hard as you will get judgement. Thanks for all those that posted some helpfull ideas without the attitude.

Some intresting ideas in this thread. I hope it helps me and helps anyone else in the same boat.

• Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It's true what they say. Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels. An old one, but it works for me. I love being this weight. I feel sexy as hell, I get masses of compliments, I'm finally beating Julie at the tennis club even though I'd never even hit any kind of ball until last year. This is brilliant. It is worth deprivation and logging. (and yes you can alleviate feelings of deprivation by not denying yourself any type of food - but to me deprivation is eating less than 2200 - and it is worth it not to get this fab new body and new brain)
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    NasMax wrote: »
    joolsmd wrote: »
    After 'falling off the wagon' twice I realised i would never lose weight if I didn't accurately and honestly log my calories. I am also very stubborn and understand that if I don't reign in my pate and cheese binges I will never be at the weight and level of health I want to be when I am older. OK, I might be restricting myself a teeny weeny bit much at the mo, but its my own fault and if I want to be able to eat a more varied diet later on down the line I need to make my relationship with food a bit more functional than its been lately.

Basically, for me, its suck it up, log cals, or keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

what do you think the reason is that you kept falling off the wagon?

Laziness and gluttony. :)

I can reduce calories and increase activity as I've done it before, but I need to get into a habit which takes me a month or so. Once I'm back into it, I'll find it a lot easier to avoid laziness and gluttony.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    acahane wrote: »

I knew typing this out I would get a few "grow up", "get on with it", "just do it" types of replies. To all of those, I am glad that mentality worked for you..it does not work for everyone.

Being honest and showing your weakness is hard as you will get judgement. Thanks for all those that posted some helpfull ideas without the attitude.

Some intresting ideas in this thread. I hope it helps me and helps anyone else in the same boat.

No, I disagree. I believe it would work for anyone, but there are a lot of people who choose not to do it.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My ah-ha (or was it oh sh!!) moment was when a total stranger walked around me at Walmart. I used to make fun of the "Walmart waddlers" and when that person walked around me I went home, looked in the mirror, and saw that I was one.

I guess you could say that reality slapped me across the face, but like everyone else before me has said, I just buckled down and got it done. I learned about food, I learned about exercise, and still am. So, find out what you don't know and learn.

I didn't like what I saw so I seized the power to change me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    acahane wrote: »

You can dress it up however you like - yes there are a load of tricks that people develop to help them get through and stick with it ... But it boils down if you don't commit to doing it, really commit to doing it for you - then all the tips, tricks and ideas to stick to it in the world won't do anything for you

Because I have to say, 8 months in and the most successful I've ever been, it's still a fight sometimes to stick with it - right now I'm wavering, my motivation is low because I look good and I feel hormonal, cold and hungry but you know what ...I don't get to stop doing this because if I do - that will be it - it will be the slide into another yo-yo cycle

Losing weight is easier than keeping it off ... maintaining it is harder than losing it.

It's a constant mental battle with the worst opponent in the world - yourself!

Being honest and showing weakness is no huge revelation, you don't get brownie points (you can get Brownies as long as you log them :wink:)

Just remember every single one of us has done this - don't think we have it easier.

Commit yourself

it's not about motivation - it's about commitment and dedication to yourself
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Typing that out ^^^ has just motivated me to get up from my desk and go for a walk

laters
  • emmooney235
    emmooney235 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like taking the easy way out with fast food and deliciously'nasty' meals, then about 45 minutes later I feel so ill. So now if I HAVE to have a burger/tacos/pasta/etc., I make it. I know that the calories are way lower and i can season the way I prefer. One trick that has been working for me is that i still buy chips, cookies, sweets, and the like. As soon as I get home I grab the food scale and I portion out the entire package into 1 serving size and pack it back up in the cheapest sandwich bags I can get. All those portions get tossed into a basket in the pantry. Done! I can grab one bag and have a nibble, take care of the craving, and I'm still within calories. Now I need to work on logging everything, I'm great for breakfast and lunch and then blow off dinner. I also need to set up a better routine for the gym. But, one step at a time.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I was actually surprised at how easy it all was when I started 2 yrs ago. I had counted calories a couple of times many years ago, but doing it on internet was so easy---love the graphs. I also felt great right from the first week. I said "Hey--this is a good thing", and I just keep going. I push myself more when swimming so I get more "burn". I'm 60, but my body looks good and so I'm satisfied. As for the OP---a little negative, hum? You don't have the right mindset. To conquer the ups and downs you have to be a positive thinker. I hope I'm wrong, and you are a great success on MFP---I don't like to see anyone fail. Best. :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    our bodies do self regulate to a point. after reading the book "Racing Weight" i've learned a lot about the difference between actual hunger, and mental hunger. actual hunger is being hungry and eating the healthy sandwich you made for lunch, while mental hunger is going for those greasy french fries that you like. i'm not saying you can't have fries occasionally, but you know what i mean.

learn to understand when you are satiated. learn to eat smart healthy foods. i've started to eat more fruits and veggies, and am feeling much healthier and fuller than when i ate junk.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you despise logging, then try a formal diet that doesn't require it. But then you have to follow its rules. Would that be easier to tolerate?
    Something like South Beach (which is a balanced diet, not low carb, not low fat) and really follow it.

I'd probably still suggest logging for a month or so to make sure you're learning something about portion size...

So, log, or limit. And then either way, MAKE THE MOST OF IT and learn something while you're doing it so you don't have to do it again.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Yup. It's a mental thing. OP, you are seeing the laws of biology and physics, and the process of tracking calories, as oppressive insults and proof that the universe is out to get you. In fact, the laws of biology are a standardized mechanism providing an orderly system to achieve a goal (weight loss/fitness), and calorie counting is simply a handy dandy tool that helps a lot of people get there.

I know that if I eat less than X calories per day, I'm going to lose weight. It might not be quickly. It might take much, much longer to come off in the places I want it to. But it will work. That's...actually kind of cool, when you think about it. I know if I follow my marathon training plan faithfully, I will come out the other end able to run 26.2 miles at the pace I want (assuming ideal weather and course conditions that day). That's pretty awesome. I like tracking calories. First of all, it works. Secondly, it's actually freeing. What? I can eat that? And it's not going to make me gain five pounds overnight? Oops, that lunch had more calories than I thought? Well, I guess I'll eat a smaller dinner.

What else has that kind of guarantee? When I teach a lesson, how do I know my students are going to get it? When my fiance has a bad day, how do I know I'm going to say the right thing to cheer him up? As I eagerly follow spoilers and let my excitement over the new Star Wars movie go out of control, how do I know it's going to be any good?
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    logging isn't for life, it just help you acknowledge what you are doing wrong. can't stop at one cake? don't buy cakes. start eating clean. you won't wanna spoil it. it's not easy, but you can make it. it's a daily effort. that is for life. good luck.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Can you find a way to enjoy it? Feel a sense of satisfaction when you've completed a day's logging? Give yourself a high-five when you go to the gym (better style, find an activity that you like doing)

Yes!! This!!!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    When not doing it is more painful than doing it
    Nothing is 'off my list for life'. Too negative.
    I'm looking for new, positive things and changes to make.
    i workout at home because getting to the gym was harder with the kids schedule.

I workout in the AM even though I'm a night owl and would rather sleep. Because my body Needs it and my kids Need me.

I have accountability groups to keep me going. When they are not checking in, I can slip more too. I go up and down at times, but that is life.

Glad you've found a new therapist to help with the anger part, and when you hit acceptance, I hope it changes for you!!!!
    You can do it!
  • sharifit53
    sharifit53 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hate is a strong negative motivator. Try to find something you love about this whole thing and concentrate on what you love and are grateful for.

Grateful for your counselor? Glad there are healthy things that taste good like strawberries, or whatever fruit you like? Grateful there are people to talk to on MFP? Enjoy pushing the button on "Complete this entry" after you know you've done a good job that day?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Logging is a valuable tool with weight loss because it makes you conscious of your choices and allows you to look back in history and figure out how you can make changes. It is so easy to live in denial if you don't have something like that to constantly remind you to stay on track. I used to think I ate pretty healthy, and I sort of did, but I didn't always make the best choices and my portion sizes were off the charts. Yes it can be a pain in the butt at times but if you don't do it, how else do you expect to get the results you want?

Do you cook for yourself? If so, start experimenting. I am a foodie and still enjoy a lot of the same dishes, I just make them with healthier options (leaner meats, lower carbs, more veg, etc) and also keep my portions in check. If you feel hungry all the time, you may need to focus more on your macro and micro nutrients - more protein, healthy fats and fiber will keep you full.

I think a lot of it is mindset. If you keep thinking of the things you CAN'T have rather than all the things you CAN have, you won't feel so deprived. And as others said, if you're really craving something, make it work. Need something crunchy with your sandwich at lunch? Have baby carrots, snow peas, etc instead of chips.

And yes, part of it is recognizing what you're not able to control yourself with. I can't keep gelato or ice cream in my house because I can't just eat one portion and it's too high in calories to overindulge. I fell off the wagon around the holidays and was eating way too much of it and my pants started getting tight. I finally had to say enough was enough. I am not buying bigger pants!! So now I'm back to what I used to do. If I really want some, I can stop for a cone somewhere but only if I have enough calories.

Maybe that can be your motivation to workout too. I know it's mine sometimes! If I don't workout, I can't eat what I want because I don't have enough calories. I've actually taken run/walks with the intent to burn enough calories to stop for a cone along my route. Whatever works!

If you want it bad enough, you'll find what works for you. Just don't give up!
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    It just isn't fair that I'm not independently wealthy and that I have to work every day to support myself. It pisses me off. The world could not care less. If I want a roof over my head, I simply have to do my job and earn my pay.

Same with anything else you want in life. If you want to lose weight, you simply have to do what is needed and that is eat the right amount. The best way to know if you are doing that is to log it and keep track.