All those asking and answeing questions

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have read a few questions and response that people have written on here. It's really discouraging as a new user to ask a question or suggest a helpful answer. There are so many people that feel that they have the right answer and everyone else's is wrong. Let's just be helpful not rude as this is supposed to be a helpful source of information. What works or has worked for you does not make it the only way or the right way way for others. It is nice to hear what has worked for others and some people can take from many different ideas to make their own work for them. I hope everyone that uses this wonderful app finds it helpful and encouraging, not opinionated and intimidating.

There's not much room for "opinion" with weight loss.

"Opinion" is generally some combination of Myth, BroScience, Old Wives Tales, Superstition, FatLogic, Woo Woo and Grossly Negligent Misinformation.

Weight loss ain't Rocket Science - the fundamentals are well understood, and undeniable.

Those who naturally get this, or learn it along the way, are successful. Always.

Those who fight it and fall for all the "opinion" generally end up with an artificially shortened lifetime of hard times.
    There is tons of room for opinion. There are many, many ways to lose weight. Sure, it all boils down to energy balance but there are countless ways to effect that besides "count calories with a food scale and eat all foods in moderation (or else you're a misinformed idiot)", which is invariably what posts like your's and herrspoon's imply.

actually there is one way to lose weight ...CICO ..

this post is a perfect example of how things get off track on here..
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    If someone posts bulls**t then I don't care if they have one post or a million, I'm going to call them on it.

A lot of you would do better if you spent more time planning your success than worrying about your or others' feelings.

ETA: Or, indeed, getting upset over blunt views and hitting the flag button.

This post is a perfect example of what is most bothersome to me about a lot of responses on these forums.

"*kitten*", "I don't care", "I'm going to call them on it", "you'd do better if you spent more time", "worrying about your or others' feelings"

This is what those words convey: anger, lack of empathy, superiority, judgement, mockery.

Those words are chosen specifically to convey hostility and aggression.

It's a trap that gets set repeatedly on MFP -- a person posts some useful and true information, but they use such negative, aggressive words that they trigger a flame war.

But you're the one attaching those emotions to those words. That doesn't mean that was the intent, or that was how anyone else read it.

There can only be a flame war with two actively participating sides.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sure, it all boils down to energy balance but there are countless ways to effect that besides "count calories with a food scale and eat all foods in moderation (or else you're a misinformed idiot)", which is invariably what posts like your's and herrspoon's imply.

<sigh> ...

I don't just "imply" it - I quote it as immutable law.

... and yet folks still try to weasel out of the truth with a lifetime of pent up denial and ignorance.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Suggesting that some people need a "good old fashioned b*tch slap" isn't an insult? It doesn't violate this?
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger.

It's not 'hurt feelings' that people don't care for. It's the arrogant "my way is right, you're an idiot" stance. It's not mature discussion. It's childish insults.

It's even worse that the people who want mature discussion are mostly women and the "you're just too touchy feely, let me bit*ch-slap you with my truth" are mostly men, in this thread and often all over here. An active female moderator would be a welcome addition, especially one with some familiarity with and acceptance for various diet schools of thought, or that understands there is not one way to skin this cat.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Suggesting that some people need a "good old fashioned b*tch slap" isn't an insult? It doesn't violate this?
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger.

It's not 'hurt feelings' that people don't care for. It's the arrogant "my way is right, you're an idiot" stance. It's not mature discussion. It's childish insults.

It's even worse that the people who want mature discussion are mostly women and the "you're just too touchy feely, let me bit*ch-slap you with my truth" are mostly men, in this thread and often all over here. An active female moderator would be a welcome addition, especially one with some familiarity with and acceptance for various diet schools of thought, or that understands there is not one way to skin this cat.

Lol, gender generalizations. Pretty insulting and ridiculous.

I do believe some of the most active moderators here to be women.

I'll leave it at that.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I have read a few questions and response that people have written on here. It's really discouraging as a new user to ask a question or suggest a helpful answer. There are so many people that feel that they have the right answer and everyone else's is wrong. Let's just be helpful not rude as this is supposed to be a helpful source of information. What works or has worked for you does not make it the only way or the right way way for others. It is nice to hear what has worked for others and some people can take from many different ideas to make their own work for them. I hope everyone that uses this wonderful app finds it helpful and encouraging, not opinionated and intimidating.

There's not much room for "opinion" with weight loss.

"Opinion" is generally some combination of Myth, BroScience, Old Wives Tales, Superstition, FatLogic, Woo Woo and Grossly Negligent Misinformation.

Weight loss ain't Rocket Science - the fundamentals are well understood, and undeniable.

Those who naturally get this, or learn it along the way, are successful. Always.

Those who fight it and fall for all the "opinion" generally end up with an artificially shortened lifetime of hard times.
    There is tons of room for opinion. There are many, many ways to lose weight. Sure, it all boils down to energy balance but there are countless ways to effect that besides "count calories with a food scale and eat all foods in moderation (or else you're a misinformed idiot)", which is invariably what posts like your's and herrspoon's imply.

Incorrect. There is precisely one way to lose weight - by consuming fewer calories than you use. There are a number ways of achieving this, some of which are proven, maintainable, and sensible, others which are, frankly, bats**t crazy, unsustainable, and make the whole process miserable.

I like to help people go down the former path, whether that's by a pat on the back or a boot up the butt.

All of this^^^
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I'll leave it at that.

I chuckled at that, too.

A lot of the "mean people" on here are women. Also, a lot of the mods are women. How is it possible you don't know that after 4,000+ posts?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

It's not any more an insult than calling someone arrogant, immature and childish..........

Stones and glass houses and all that.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Wouldn't calling people arrogant and childish also violate the same guideline? It seems like there's plenty of aggressive posts on both sides of this discussion, to me.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    One can only put a limited amount of candy coating on a post that tells somebody that they are wrong, that they are lying to themselves with inaccurate or incomplete logging, what they are embarking upon (either the method or goal) is unhealthy, or that there is no logical or scientific basis for a course of action.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

Unless he directly called someone out and said "Soandso, you need a b*tchslap", then its not an attack. Saying "some people just need some sense slapped into them" is not an attack or even what I would consider aggressive.

Also, a lot of the no nonsense posters are female, so not sure why you're trying to generalize by gender. That's actually insulting (oh the irony!).
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It's worse here. There are civil, adult forums elsewhere, where people recognize that there is no one right way to do this.

A lot of the regulars here seem to be here mostly to proclaim their expert status and ridicule those who don't agree with them.

this is quite easily the tamest forum i've ever been on.

you want to see opinionated people, go to a parenting forum.

Or a politcal one
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Wow, really?

Last time I checked, there's quite a few female moderators and/or "meanies".

Honestly, I find this post more offensive than any other post on this thread... and I'm female.

It doesn't matter what school of diet you want accepted... it all boils down to burning more calories than you take in. Whether that comes from low carb, high protein, IF, or what have you, it's STILL about how many calories are going in and going out.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    One can only put a limited amount of candy coating on a post that tells somebody that they are wrong, that they are lying to themselves with inaccurate or incomplete logging, what they are embarking upon (either the method or goal) is unhealthy, or that there is no logical or scientific basis for a course of action.

And this ^^

I'd rather someone be bluntly honest & helpful if I'm doing something wrong than cover me in rainbows & glitter & stickers and let me keep failing.

It's much kinder to help and offer knowledge so that they will succeed in their goals than to pat them on the head and let them get frustrated and give up.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I'll leave it at that.
    I have never seen a female moderator here, outside of the original sticky posts. The only moderators I ever see are ninerbuff and psulemon.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Wow, really?

Last time I checked, there's quite a few female moderators and/or "meanies".

Honestly, I find this post more offensive than any other post on this thread... and I'm female.

It doesn't matter what school of diet you want accepted... it all boils down to burning more calories than you take in. Whether that comes from low carb, high protein, IF, or what have you, it's STILL about how many calories are going in and going out.

You, you I like.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

And this ^^

I'd rather someone be bluntly honest & helpful if I'm doing something wrong than cover me in rainbows & glitter & stickers and let me keep failing.

It's much kinder to help and offer knowledge so that they will succeed in their goals than to pat them on the head and let them get frustrated and give up.

100% agree. I would much rather someone tell me straight up than beat around the bush. I think that sometimes (not all the time) the bluntness gets misinterpreted as attacking.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    SMH - amazing how folks feel privileged enough to attack, mock, insult people - and then do not accept any responsibility for their behavior. Mis-information can be corrected without resorting to bullying. Speaking of gender, pause to consider where the term "b*tch-slap" came from and why anyone would think that the act is OK. Language is not harmless.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

last time I checked there are several female moderators..

so you are implying that MFP is a male driven, chauvinistic, forum???? got ya...

once again, you are wrong...
This discussion has been closed.