All those asking and answeing questions

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Suggesting that some people need a "good old fashioned b*tch slap" isn't an insult? It doesn't violate this?
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger.

It's not 'hurt feelings' that people don't care for. It's the arrogant "my way is right, you're an idiot" stance. It's not mature discussion. It's childish insults.

It's even worse that the people who want mature discussion are mostly women and the "you're just too touchy feely, let me bit*ch-slap you with my truth" are mostly men, in this thread and often all over here. An active female moderator would be a welcome addition, especially one with some familiarity with and acceptance for various diet schools of thought, or that understands there is not one way to skin this cat.

Beyond the fact that you've conceded the CICO point that others routinely make ("Sure, it all boils down to energy balance"), you are the one referring to people in the very method you complain about ... you called them "arrogant", you call their posts "chidlish insults".

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Suggesting that some people need a "good old fashioned b*tch slap" isn't an insult? It doesn't violate this?
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger.

It's not 'hurt feelings' that people don't care for. It's the arrogant "my way is right, you're an idiot" stance. It's not mature discussion. It's childish insults.

It's even worse that the people who want mature discussion are mostly women and the "you're just too touchy feely, let me bit*ch-slap you with my truth" are mostly men, in this thread and often all over here. An active female moderator would be a welcome addition, especially one with some familiarity with and acceptance for various diet schools of thought, or that understands there is not one way to skin this cat.

Lol, gender generalizations. Pretty insulting and ridiculous.

I do believe some of the most active moderators here to be women.

I'll leave it at that.
    I have never seen a female moderator here, outside of the original sticky posts. The only moderators I ever see are ninerbuff and psulemon.

Um....

kgeyser, Olivia (not a mod, but a power that be)...

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I'll leave it at that.
    I have never seen a female moderator here, outside of the original sticky posts. The only moderators I ever see are ninerbuff and psulemon.

Rachel and Olivia come to mind....

just because you do not "see" something does not mean that it is not happening...

I was not aware that you had access to every single thread, and every single moderator, and every single warning that is given ....

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Of course there is also the cultural difference in this international site and the age difference amongst the users

Warning - major stereotypes coming up

I'm English, a lot of us have a tendency to self-deprecation and sarcasm; we tend to go for direct rather than touchy-feely

As for age, many of us were brought up in an age where we told to pull our socks up and just get on with it. The victim mentality is a new one for us eg it's always something or someone at fault,

I would find over-sentimentality and cheerleading from my countrymen shocking and probably more irritating than supportive, as I would assume they were patronising or taking the p!ss. However from Americans it's a cultural response and I accept that

But I still enjoy posters who are direct, intelligent and amusing . I have barked with laughter at some things people have posted, I thank them for the amusement factor ...I also note that these people are far more likely to get abuse flags
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

This is the most report worthy thing I've seen on the forum recently.

Well done you! - get upset when receiving good advice or bad advice is called-out but throw sexism around the place :/
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

I'll leave it at that.

Um....

kgeyser, Olivia (not a mod, but a power that be)...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10028710/meet-our-community-team

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    It's important to clarify when someone spreads misinformation. And it's especially important to continuously point out when/how someone is logging incorrectly whey they ask why they are stalling/not seeing results, and claiming they ARE logging correctly. Many of these users unfortunately tend to disregard the comments about their poor logging.

This is just how forums tend to work in general. Not just MFP. If you can't be vocal and back up what you are saying, or at least can't ignore any potential offense thrown at you, then you're probably not going to work your way into the forum setting very effectively.
    No qualms with correcting (as you see it) misinformation.

But yes, folks here are rude to the uneducated, new folks who are simply trying to learn. On a regular basis.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    SMH - amazing how folks feel privileged enough to attack, mock, insult people - and then do not accept any responsibility for their behavior. Mis-information can be corrected without resorting to bullying. Speaking of gender, pause to consider where the term "b*tch-slap" came from and why anyone would think that the act is OK. Language is not harmless.
    meh
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Of course there is also the cultural difference in this international site and the age difference amongst the users

I'm English, a lot of us have a tendency to self-deprecation and sarcasm; we tend to go for direct rather than touchy-feely

As for age, many of us were brought up in an age where we told to pull our socks up and just get on with it. The victim mentality is a new one for us eg it's always something or someone at fault,

I would find over-sentimentality and cheerleading from my countrymen shocking and probably more irritating than supportive, as I would assume they were patronising or taking the p!ss. However from Americans it's a cultural response and I accept that

But I still enjoy posters who are direct, intelligent and amusing . I have barked with laughter at some things people have posted, I thank them for the amusement factor ...I also note that these people are far more likely to get abuse flags

I'm from New England. We have a very similar reputation. The rest of the country finds us very standoffish and unfriendly (stereotyping of course).
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    It's important to clarify when someone spreads misinformation. And it's especially important to continuously point out when/how someone is logging incorrectly whey they ask why they are stalling/not seeing results, and claiming they ARE logging correctly. Many of these users unfortunately tend to disregard the comments about their poor logging.

This is just how forums tend to work in general. Not just MFP. If you can't be vocal and back up what you are saying, or at least can't ignore any potential offense thrown at you, then you're probably not going to work your way into the forum setting very effectively.
    No qualms with correcting (as you see it) misinformation.

But yes, folks here are rude to the uneducated, new folks who are simply trying to learn. On a regular basis.

From what I see, most new folks get a lot of good answers with very little rudeness.
    Every once in a while a post gets a lot of rude answers but usually it stems from a forum novice trying to have a "teaching" moment about something.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

I'll leave it at that.

I have seen them plenty. In fact, they are the most "active" in terms of enforcing policy
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I'm from New England. We have a very similar reputation. The rest of the country finds us very standoffish and unfriendly (stereotyping of course).

from new england as well..and agree ...

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

herrspoons wrote: »
    SMH - amazing how folks feel privileged enough to attack, mock, insult people - and then do not accept any responsibility for their behavior. Mis-information can be corrected without resorting to bullying. Speaking of gender, pause to consider where the term "b*tch-slap" came from and why anyone would think that the act is OK. Language is not harmless.

Except it isn't.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/*kitten*-slap

Pwned...

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Except it isn't.

1990s: originally black English, referring to a woman hitting or haranguing her male partner.

*applauds*

Did not see that coming :grinning:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    interesting thread. When people put wrong information up on forums that gives people the right to correct. Or we leave wrong information up and have something happen to whoever the OP of that thread is because they followed someone else wrong advice. That makes total sense to me.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Except it isn't.

LOL. That's awesome.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

It may be a Northeast thing :) I'm from NY- people assume I'm going to be mean
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you want kinder, gentler advice, that's fine. There's plenty to be had here. However, that style of communication doesn't work for everyone. It's unfair to ask that everyone present information only in the way you want to hear it. If I'm wrong, tell me. Give me the science and spare me the touchy-feely stuff. I respond better, I appreciate that approach and I would rather not waste my time hearing inaccurate information that's designed to soothe my feelings. There has to be room on a public forum for people who learn that way too.

• EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Except it isn't.

Pwned...

herrspoons-slapped?
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It's all subjective. You saw his comments as aggressive, I didn't. Comments you find negative someone else might see as being told the truth. On MFP too many of you guys think that people not agreeing with you or correcting you is negative, when it's not. It could be a result of when we were over weight many of us suffered from low self esteem and are very defensive or just that ego doesn't want to allow us to be corrected. It's time to let go of that.

The comments are both truthful and negative. People are telling the truth, but they tell it in an aggressive, hostile way. It's difficult for people who are unprepared for the hostility to not respond with hostility, which turns the conversation into a pissing contest rather than a thoughtful discussion about the issue.

^^^^ All of that, for me, is applicable for newbies only. I was shocked and angry when I first started posting. After a while (like, 30 posts in), when I saw how it worked, I stopped taking the hostility personally.

I do see people here who have 500 or 1000 posts and who are *still* taking it personally. That's crazy town, as far as I am concerned.

This discussion has been closed.